• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Finally got around to redeeming Goro from the Best Buy voucher. It downloaded and installed, but he's still grayed out on the character select screen. Restarted the game, and no change. Is there another step I'm missing?

CeeSaw

Finally got around to redeeming Goro from the Best Buy voucher. It downloaded and installed, but he's still grayed out on the character select screen. Restarted the game, and no change. Is there another step I'm missing?
If you are on Xbox have you tried a hard reset (holding the power button down until it beeps)? Not sure what the equivalent would be on PS4.

Demoskinos

Okay,I think I'm all aboard the Mileena Chomp Train™ started playing around with some combos she has a pretty damn easy 38% combo in her piercing variation that I'm in love with.

She does seem super unsafe if you can actually block her but from what little I've played online it seems all her zipping around the screen confuses most people enough online that you can do some damage with her.

so a question regarding the story: Scorpion
is bitter at Quan Chi because he cost him the opportunity to bring back his family? How does that even make sense? The only reason he came back to life was because he just so happened to be in the same room as Raiden and Johnny Cage when Raiden did his thing that one time, right?

I feel like this is easily the weakest story campaign theyve done when compared to Injustice and MK9. Meh

Garlador

Is there a definitive guide to unlocking the alt costumes that aren't gained from beating the tower/krypt?

My understanding (and correct me if this is flawed)...

Revenant Sub-Zero: Beat Test Your Might tower
Revenant Jax: 15 Flawless Victories in a row (easily done in Kustom Kombat with 1% modifier and two controllers)
Farmer Jax: unlocked via mobile
Ninja Mime Johnny Cage: unlocked via mobile
Future Raiden: register for WB Play account
Klassic Kitana: unlocked via mobile
Klassic Mileena: unlocked via mobile
Dark Empress Kitana: Level Brotherhood of Shadow up to 35, or play enough Premiere Towers (earned it with the Goro Tower)
Revenant Kitana: Either win 50 KOTH matches, or give out enough Respect Points.
Hot Shot Johnny: 10 Survivor KOTH wins in a row (do this with a buddy)
Revenant Kung Lao: Win 25 Public KOTH matches.
Injustice Scorpion: unlocked via mobile
Dark Emperor Liu Kang: Do enough Challenge Towers (doing dragon challenges). Mine was around 5.
Klassic Sub-Zero: download patch for free.
Blue Steel Sub-Zero: DLC only.
Kold War Scorpion: Gamestop exclusive code.
Gold Scorpion: Collector's edition code only.

Some of this could be very inaccurate, since people are still figuring it out themselves.

is bitter at Quan Chi because he cost him the opportunity to bring back his family? How does that even make sense? The only reason he came back to life was because he just so happened to be in the same room as Raiden and Johnny Cage when Raiden did his thing that one time, right?

I feel like this is easily the weakest story campaign theyve done when compared to Injustice and MK9. Meh
No, he's bitter at Quan Chi because Quan Chi
KILLED HIS FAMILY. He duped the Lin Kuei into a war with his clan, killed Scorpion's wife and child, and then duped Scorpion into thinking the original Sub-Zero killed them (he didn't). Scorpion then killed the wrong man and served his own family's murderer unknowingly for decades.

Granted, this was initially revealed way back in MK4 in 1997.

Lord Phol

Scorpion wanted him dead because he learned that Quan was the one behind the slaughter of his clan and family all along.
I agree that the revive plot was stupid, but overall I found it to be their best effort by far. The characters and "scenes" were well written and well produced even if the main plot was standard stuff.

In MK9's Scorpion chapter, Raiden has a flash forward in MK1 to Noob Saibot, and tells Scorpion not to kill Bi-Han, and that he'll convince the elder gods to return his family to life. After beating Bi-Han, Scorpion isn't going to kill him, but Quan Chi shows him his family's death at the hands of the Lin Kuei and Sub Zero (Quan Chi in disguise). Scorpion then kills Sub Zero and is sad about it.

In MK9's Scorpion chapter, Raiden has a flash forward in MK1 to Noob Saibot, and tells Scorpion not to kill Bi-Han, and that he'll convince the elder gods to return his family to life. After beating Bi-Han, Scorpion isn't going to kill him, but Quan Chi shows him his family's death at the hands of the Lin Kuei and Sub Zero (Quan Chi in disguise). Scorpion then kills Sub Zero and is sad about it.

ahh, ok, now that makes much more sense. It's been almost a handful of years since i played MK9 so i didn't remember every detail. Thanks!

Spades

Soooo, I thought I was getting better, took Raiden into practice mode, learned a few decent moves and combos. Then I went online and got my ass handed to me. Can't seem to block anything and get all of my attacks blocked. Find it pretty much impossible to execute ANY part of the combos I've learned offline.

I love this game and I don't even need to be amazing at it online; I just want to at least put up a decent fight.

I don't even know what help to ask for at this stage.

Opto

Banned
I wish Cassie had just one more costume. It's sad to see her and others only get 2 while Liu Kang and Sub-Zero gets five hundred

Demoskinos

Soooo, I thought I was getting better, took Raiden into practice mode, learned a few decent moves and combos. Then I went online and got my ass handed to me. Can't seem to block anything and get all of my attacks blocked. Find it pretty much impossible to execute ANY part of the combos I've learned offline.

I love this game and I don't even need to be amazing at it online; I just want to at least put up a decent fight.

The thing about going into training mode is yeah you learn combos but the thing you have to REALLY learn is being able to execute those combos while under extreme pressure. That's the thing that you really need to learn. Honestly, the best thing to do is just get out there and get your ass kicked. If you don't want to do it online i'd suggest bumping the CPU up to Hard and sparring with them in the training room so you just get used to having to constantly deal with the pressure of a really aggressive opponent.

Zero Punctuation review on Mortal Kombat X

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...st&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

I thought his criticism of the story was kind of disingenuous, even if he admittedly wasn't very interested in it.
Yeah some of the revenants came back but it's not a magical reset button. Most of them are still dead and Liu Kang and Kitana are poised as the next big villains of the series.

lol even though as he self admits he doesn't know what hes talking about with Fighting games, i found this really funny lol at Shinnok just turning the red

Delt31

Late to the game here but I bought this day one and just found out no true stage fatalities. Wow. wtf. Sounds minor but tell me you didn't lose it after seeing the pit stage in MK1. It is a hallmark of MK. I've been disappointed with the game thus far and this is just more bad news. I do like the brutalities concept though.

For these stage brutalities - how many are there?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I got a chance to run Mortal Kombat X in 3D and it looks god damned amazing. Using a 3D Vision tweak to get 3x depth.

Cross your eyes to make the images overlap to see in 3D.

mk10007_by_aloooo81-d8riemi.jpg

mk10009_by_aloooo81-d8rielj.jpg

mk10015_by_aloooo81-d8riekn.jpg

mk10028_by_aloooo81-d8rieiu.jpg

mk10005_by_aloooo81-d8riena.jpg

mk10021_by_aloooo81-d8rieje.jpg

I felt the same way playing as Ermac (Mystic), but have managed to go from complete scrub to someone who managed to get the 10 ranked wins in a row, with about a 70% win rate - I'm still not great, but good enough to have loads of fun. The biggest takeaway for me was the importance of learning:
- a combo (even if it's short) that starts with a low attack (for Ermac, back+3, 2, 1);
- a combo that starts with an overhead (for Ermac, forward + 4, 3 or jump punch, 1, 1, lift, neutral jump punch, teleport, blast);
- to get comfortable dashing/running in to keep pressure on when I can tell a player is overwhelmed;
- to get comfortable blocking more than I was used to and know at least one punish that comes out fast - new players are less likely to overhead you sneakily (usually jump punches), so early on it should be fairly easy to block low and adjust to standing block when you see it);
- I know the pros use EX for breaks/Ex special moves, but it's been helpful to have a combo that can end with an X-ray. I was having trouble closing out matches, but being able to rely on lift, jump punch, x-ray often was the way I won a match).
- to learn what kind of specials are pretty safe from a distance (the back, forward 2 is way better than I had given it credit for when folks are jumping in) .

I don't know any non-X-ray combos more than 7 hits, none over 30% damage, but just focusing on change-ups on sweet, low combo, overhead combo and some safe moves, easy to rely on combos, I feel like I've gone from terrible to pretty decent.

Hope that helps. I'm sure these strategies aren't super applicable if you're going against really high level players, but early on, they've been a godsend in my fun factor.

Gambling? Huh? What else am I missing?

I believe all of the costumes you unlock by beating the klassic tower with each character can also be unlocked in the krypt. I'm not sure what happens to the grave if you've already unlocked the costume by beating the klassic tower. Maybe it just turns into koins?

Gambling? Huh? What else am I missing?
There's a statue that lets you gamble in the Krypt. It's unlocked fairly late. If I'm not mistaken, you need to find Jax's rocket launcher to blow up the gate blocking it.

...if you bet 10,000 coins, you get the Kamigodgu which gets you into the final area of the Krypt. Apparently you can bet a bunch on the statue (various intervals) to unlock modifiers and brutalities and such.

Most costumes are unlocked by completing the classic tower with a given character. Others require specific things to be done (like beating the test your might tower or giving out a certain amount of respect in King Of The Hill. I'm not sure all have been figured out 100% yet.

KorrZ

I felt the same way playing as Ermac (Mystic), but have managed to go from complete scrub to someone who managed to get the 10 ranked wins in a row, with about a 70% win rate - I'm still not great, but good enough to have loads of fun. The biggest takeaway for me was the importance of learning:
- a combo (even if it's short) that starts with a low attack (for Ermac, back+3, 2, 1);
- a combo that starts with an overhead (for Ermac, forward + 4, 3 or jump punch, 1, 1, lift, neutral jump punch, teleport, blast);
- to get comfortable dashing/running in to keep pressure on when I can tell a player is overwhelmed;
- to get comfortable blocking more than I was used to and know at least one punish that comes out fast - new players are less likely to overhead you sneakily (usually jump punches), so early on it should be fairly easy to block low and adjust to standing block when you see it);
- I know the pros use EX for breaks/Ex special moves, but it's been helpful to have a combo that can end with an X-ray. I was having trouble closing out matches, but being able to rely on lift, jump punch, x-ray often was the way I won a match).
- to learn what kind of specials are pretty safe from a distance (the back, forward 2 is way better than I had given it credit for when folks are jumping in) .

I don't know any non-X-ray combos more than 7 hits, none over 30% damage, but just focusing on change-ups on sweet, low combo, overhead combo and some safe moves, easy to rely on combos, I feel like I've gone from terrible to pretty decent.

Hope that helps. I'm sure these strategies aren't super applicable if you're going against really high level players, but early on, they've been a godsend in my fun factor.

Some nice tips here, I play Mystic Ermac as well and some of these combo tips are helpful. I've found with Ermac one of the best moves against most people online is (Back + X , Back + Triangle) it does a quick low kick followed by a powerful overhead, mixes up really well and I've been able to take 50% of someones life bar in the corner with it. It requires you to block low and immediately switch to blocking high which most people can't wrap their head around.

Demoskinos

Speaking of chests. I've found a few of the timed chests that I can't open at all. The one that jumps out to me in particular is on the left side of the area where you use Ermac's hover.

I believe all of the costumes you unlock by beating the klassic tower with each character can also be unlocked in the krypt. I'm not sure what happens to the grave if you've already unlocked the costume by beating the klassic tower. Maybe it just turns into koins?

So when people are talking about "gambling" they're merely just referring to guessing where the costumes are in the krypt?

There's a statue that lets you gamble in the Krypt. It's unlocked fairly late. If I'm not mistaken, you need to find Jax's rocket launcher to blow up the gate blocking it.

...if you bet 10,000 coins, you get the Kamigodgu which gets you into the final area of the Krypt. Apparently you can bet a bunch on the statue (various intervals) to unlock modifiers and brutalities and such.

Most costumes are unlocked by completing the classic tower with a given character. Others require specific things to be done (like beating the test your might tower or giving out a certain amount of respect in King Of The Hill. I'm not sure all have been figured out 100% yet.

Awesome. Thanks for explaining.

And what's this about the Mobile Game? (yes...apparently I have been living under a rock). It's suppose to be free on android? I just checked the play store, there was nothing there.

Garlador

That's some helpful advice. I'm trying to get good with Mileena, and I noticed I drop combos constantly when I go online (but never offline). One downside is a LOT of her big "set-up" attacks leave her very open to punishment.

Spades

The thing about going into training mode is yeah you learn combos but the thing you have to REALLY learn is being able to execute those combos while under extreme pressure. That's the thing that you really need to learn. Honestly, the best thing to do is just get out there and get your ass kicked. If you don't want to do it online i'd suggest bumping the CPU up to Hard and sparring with them in the training room so you just get used to having to constantly deal with the pressure of a really aggressive opponent.

Thanks. I don't mind getting my ass kicked, if I know why I'm getting my ass kicked. Hopefully the more it happens, I'll figure it out.

Some nice tips here, I play Mystic Ermac as well and some of these combo tips are helpful. I've found with Ermac one of the best moves against most people online is (Back + X , Back + Triangle) it does a quick low kick followed by a powerful overhead, mixes up really well and I've been able to take 50% of someones life bar in the corner with it. It requires you to block low and immediately switch to blocking high which most people can't wrap their head around.
Ooooh, that would be a great one to add to my repertoire. Agreed that a lot of life drain seems to happen when you catch some panicking with mix-ups when on the offensive. A low to overhead seems really strong to put in the mix (epsecially when Ermac has the option for a low to low on the same start-up (back 3, back 4).

Top Bottom