• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most lucrative college degrees for class of 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
woooo, Business Admin moving on up!

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/26/pf/college/pay/index.htm

degree_worth_summer.gif

No wonder there are so many f*cking Engineering students at my university.

I need to go pay a visit to the Careers office on campus... :(

Gooooooooo Marketing!

I just changed my major this morning. It was Accounting, now it's marketing. That's a 6k cut. Oh well, at least my job won't be HORRIBLY BORING.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Interesting, except without the number of people who actually started last year in these fields, how useful are these numbers? I mean CS may be rising, but is it still hard as balls to find something?
Still not sure if I want to move to IB....

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Yeah, but that list doesn't say anything about how MANY positions are open in each field. It's a bit disingenuous if there are only jobs for 5% of graduates for a given degree.

Which is why all people with psych degrees MUST continue on to graduate school. I'll have a Masters in School Psychology next June, and the job market for School Psychs is wonderful.

vangace

Good thing i switched my major from Anthropology to Finance otherwise i could have been unemployment in 2006. But at my School(CSUN) its hard to get business classes. Get this shit, school starts in 2 weeks and i don't even have a single class yet which means a whole lot of crushing the first week of school.

Jim Bowie

swoon said:
hey at least your not a becoming a public school teacher.

*shot by swoon*

I at a college orientation seminar for future teachers, and one of the speakers started with, "So, you all plan to be teachers, huh? You're all masochists that hate money, right?"

So I guess I'm not too shocked :p

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jim Bowie said:
*shot by swoon*

I at a college orientation seminar for future teachers, and one of the speakers started with, "So, you all plan to be teachers, huh? You're all masochists that hate money, right?"

So I guess I'm not too shocked :p

One benefit to teaching though, is you get a large chunk of free time to spend pursuing your interests. Sure you may not have tons of money, but that doesn't stop you.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
Sweet! We beat the average CK!

Once I get those masters degrees in Mechanical, Nuclear, Electrical, Chemical, Materials, Optics, and Computer Science, MBA, then PhD in Nanotechnology....mwhahahaha!

Billionaire industrialist Tony Stark....eat your heart out! FT's comin' for you!

Is there any background info for this survey? Like average cost of living? Also, which of these careers is more erratic in its salary jump and everything?

Friend

Maybe I should go with compsci. I thought the job market for that field was in some shit condition but evidently not. Oh well, at least information systems is doing nicely.

If i coud pull the 41k/y that table predicts out of school (for econ), that'd be too good to be true. Especially when i won't be able to commit for more than 8 months given that my post grad program will be starting.

They need to publish expected salaries for grad programs. That'd be far more interesting.

ChrisReid

Go Class of 2004 Economics/Poli Sci Double Majors! Does that mean I'll make $73,905?

RevenantKioku said:
Interesting, except without the number of people who actually started last year in these fields, how useful are these numbers? I mean CS may be rising, but is it still hard as balls to find something?
Still not sure if I want to move to IB....

Economics major talking: Well, if there is a low demand for workers, their market value and average pay will decrease. The fields with the biggest gains in pay this year would appear to also have the best opportunities for new graduates.

swoon

RevenantKioku said:
One benefit to teaching though, is you get a large chunk of free time to spend pursuing your interests. Sure you may not have tons of money, but that doesn't stop you.

unless your summers are filled taking more classes because of No Child Left Behind....

Belfast

Agent Dormer said:
Rock on, fellow English majors. Now there's proof our major isn't worthless.

Not completely, anyhow. As much money as they make, I'd hate to be in CompSci or any of the related Engineering majors. Its a highly stereotypical field to go into these days and most of my engineering friends have a lot of stress and bitch endlessly about all the shit they have to do. My girlfriend, however, is a Classics major (hoo boy, talk about a field with no income), but she likes that kind of stuff, and I don't think she's going into it for the $$$$.

Triumph

Banned
Hey, guys, where are Philosophy Majors on that list? Guys, why are you all laughing and pointing at me? Guys?

Socreges

Banned
Raoul Duke said:
Hey, guys, where are Philosophy Majors on that list? Guys, why are you all laughing and pointing at me? Guys?
Liberal arts major, I would guess.

Political Science is really low. :\

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
One should also consider Income increase,in Nursing i dont think you get much of improvement,i am surprised Nurses get so much in US,its pretty poorly paid job over here.

Btw where is Medicine?!?Do you go to Graduate school after Nursing to become a Doctor in US?!?!

Weird system

Fleming said:
One should also consider Income increase,in Nursing i dont think you get much of improvement,i am surprised Nurses get so much in US,its pretty poorly paid job over here.

Btw where is Medicine?!?Do you go to Graduate school after Nursing to become a Doctor in US?!?!

Weird system

No, you go through undergrad first (usually), majoring in whatever you want to finish certain prereqs. Usually it's Biosci because there is a lot of overlap between the prereqs and the stuff in the BioSci major (ochem, physics, some bio, etc). There are the occasional rare people who get into med school without getting an undergrad degree though.

Kuroyume

Banned
Money isn't everything... I sure as hell would not want to spend the rest of my life in a lab messing with chemicals and crap like that. I'm not saying that other types of careers are great or going to be really fun, but science can drive me insane from boredom. Accounting is pretty horrible too...

Pimpwerx

Hmmm...maybe it's time to cash in this worthless degree afterall. :D But then I wouldn't get Summer, Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving vacation. And what would I do without my vacation time? PEACE.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"Second place baby!!!!! Woohoo!!!! "

We were first last year.

Oh wells. :D

My girlfriend has a degree in Economics, her starting salary is/was around $50,000 a year. After getting my Masters next spring, I'll be making $40,000 a year as a school psychologist. Two extra years of schooling, $10,000 less a year. Oh well, $90,000 combined income before taxes is pretty damn good for two twenty-somethings in a year from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom