• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most lucrative college degrees for class of 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I was in University doing Computer Science but I'm switching to Accounting. Good money and it's needed everywhere. I've started disliking computer science, but I've always liked math.

My girlfriend has a degree in Economics, her starting salary is/was around $50,000 a year. After getting my Masters next spring, I'll be making $40,000 a year as a school psychologist. Two extra years of schooling, $10,000 less a year. Oh well, $90,000 combined income before taxes is pretty damn good for two twenty-somethings in a year from now.

Was it a 3 or 4 year degree? And how reputable a school?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Future Trunks said:
Sweet! We beat the average CK!

Once I get those masters degrees in Mechanical, Nuclear, Electrical, Chemical, Materials, Optics, and Computer Science, MBA, then PhD in Nanotechnology....mwhahahaha!

Billionaire industrialist Tony Stark....eat your heart out! FT's comin' for you!

Is there any background info for this survey? Like average cost of living? Also, which of these careers is more erratic in its salary jump and everything?

We WHOOPED the average! I beat it by about 15% woo!

roll.gif
@ Tony Starks comment.

Dyne

Wow, I had no idea my Computer Science degree would be worth so much when I get it in a couple years.

SKluck

Banned
Damn, I thought CS had gone to shit, it's up to 49k? Well, that was barely the reason I got out of it, so it doesn't matter.

I don't see architecture, that was something I was considering going into.

I got my computer engineering degree last summer. I still don't have a job. I think what they're failing to tell you is that these are the people who are actually getting jobs. And trust me, there aren't many of em.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Azwethinkweiz said:
I got my computer engineering degree last summer. I still don't have a job. I think what they're failing to tell you is that these are the people who are actually getting jobs. And trust me, there aren't many of em.

Two buddies I graduated with don't have jobs with degrees in electrical engineering, it's indicative of the rest of the EE class of 2004 for us. Only 3-4 out of 15 have jobs, which sucks.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
Something about that comp sci and comp eng being 2nd and 3rd seems kinda suspect. I mean, I not saying that aren't making that much this summer, but there's gotta be more to the story than just those numbers. Has it always been that way? I could have sworn the pyramid went Chemical -> Mech -> EE/Comps/Industrials -> Civil -> AYOs.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

Boogie

MetatronM said:
Hey, I was right. My History major is, in fact, useless.

Rock.

Useless History majors unite!!!

I can see it now. Three years from now, I'll be standing on a street corner, offering to discuss the origins of the First World War for bread crumbs and biscuits.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I was in an information sciences major, I decided that I would hang myself within 5 months of having an actual job in the field, and now I'm in journalism.

I couldn't quite care less about starting salaries, at least I'll be doing something that I can enjoy.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
teh_pwn said:
"Second place baby!!!!! Woohoo!!!! "

We were first last year.

Oh wells. :D

Go computer engineering!...

*goes off weeping in the corner*
(i'm starting it this year)

Lame. I switched to Biology from Psychology. Doesn't look like I moved up much. :(

I thought Microbiology was one of the highest paying fields you can get into out of college. That's what I was told.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"I got my computer engineering degree last summer. I still don't have a job. I think what they're failing to tell you is that these are the people who are actually getting jobs. And trust me, there aren't many of em."

Good luck.

To those still in school, co-op. It gives you real experience and you're likely to get a job offer before you even graduate.

teh_pwn said:
Good luck.

To those still in school, co-op. It gives you real experience and you're likely to get a job offer before you even graduate.

I did co-op. But when I graduated the company that I co-op'd with was on a hiring freeze. Ah well, I decided to go back to grad school. Hopefully the tech economy will be better when I get out again.

Mumbles

Future Trunks said:
Something about that comp sci and comp eng being 2nd and 3rd seems kinda suspect. I mean, I not saying that aren't making that much this summer, but there's gotta be more to the story than just those numbers. Has it always been that way? I could have sworn the pyramid went Chemical -> Mech -> EE/Comps/Industrials -> Civil -> AYOs.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

Mechs have been paid below EE/CE for quite some time now - at least since I started my degree in '95. Civils have always been just about the bottom of the barrel pay-wise, I suspect the fact that the civils really need licenses to get anywhere plays a part in that.

The only real problem with the list is that there's no category for electrical engineering or comp. Sci. The pay for those has never been quite the same as for computer engineering, and most professionals make a distinction between the two. So does the "Computer eng." class include electrical and comp. Sci., or are they just left out entirely.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Can someone explain their experience with Information Systems? I was an Aero Eng. major last year and really didn't like it and IS is something i'm seriously considering. I've heard some opinions and i'd appreciate some more...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
WOOT! Computer Science... I'm a year out of school and making more than any of those degrees tho :p (Then again I live in LI which is a really expensive area)

NotMSRP

So what's the distinction between Computer Engineering and Computer Science? What exacly is Information Systems?

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Boomer said:
It's a good thing they didn't include pharmacy cause I would have pwned you all

Seriously. The pharmacist at the supermarket I work at makes $40.75 an hour, more than anyone in the store.

NotMSRP said:
So what's the distinction between Computer Engineering and Computer Science? What exacly is Information Systems?

comp sci majors usually graduate and do something along the lines of software programming or web design or something of that nature. comp engr majors are more geared towards hardware programming or network coding, for example.

Example
comp engr = codes your mpeg chip in your DVD player
comp sci = codes doom3

McLesterolBeast said:
Was it a 3 or 4 year degree? And how reputable a school?

We went to Pacific Lutheran University, a 4-year private school near Tacoma, WA. She now works as an analyst for Jones Lang LaSalle, a large multinational corporate real estate firm.

Azih

Comp Eng is basically Intel, AMD, ATI, Nvidia etc.
Comp Sci is basically Oracle, Microsoft, Sun etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom