• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most ridiculous JRPG title

Crayon

Bravely_Default_Flying_Fairy_(JP).jpg

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

giphy.webp

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Any time I see a new JRPG title, I feel like I've read something like this:

Eclipse Diary: Trance Immunity — Edge of Fate re:destined

EruditeHobo

To be fair, at the time we were told turn based combat is archaic, nobody wants it. Real time and hybrid systems are better etc. so it did bravely default to the styles from RPGs of old.

Is that the explanation for the title??

I assume not... but if so I like it!

daninthemix

I don't see how anything could ever beat this.

It would be like naming your game:

Ultimate Loss Undaunted: The Failure Chronicles of Complete Success
Yes, I had somehow forgotten Infinite Undiscovery. It's like the winner of a gibberish competition was allowed to name a videogame as a prize.

Maybe my vote. Resonance of Fate's another candidate. Tri-ace's naming conventions are weird, man. Do they just pick cool-sounding English words from a box and mash them together?

Maybe one of those Neptunia games should win, but I also kind of group them with Disgaea where the title's trying to be ridiculous and so it doesn't count.

Lacrimosa's an uncommon word, but its use makes sense in context. Thank you, Jindo, my lord, for this wonderful and sad orchestral piece. And even if you don't know what it means, this title's not weird enough. There's only one word that raises an eyebrow.
If you don’t think lacrimosa of Dana is a weird title, I don’t know what to tell you.

I'm convinced our Japanese brothers and sisters just come up with random English words and phrases because to them the only criteria has to be that it sounds cool.
Well, in their defense, I see a lot of Americans with Kanji tattoos that don't speak any Japanese and probably don't know what the fuck they actually say.

Pedro Motta

I callenge you guys to come up with a name for an JRPG in 2024 thta doesn't sound like anything made before, and not as stupid. hahah

eNT1TY

I don't see how anything could ever beat this.

It would be like naming your game:

Ultimate Loss Undaunted: The Failure Chronicles of Complete Success
Nah, Infinite Undiscovery is still much worse; hell, Ultimate Loss Undaunted: The Failure Chronicles of Complete Success is still a better name than Bravely Default even.

makaveli60

I wouldn’t say it’s ridiculous, but Demon’s Souls is weird. I mean, it’s about the many souls of an entity named Demon? Because to me proper grammatical way would be Demons’ Souls, meaning the souls of many demons. It’s entitely possible that I’m just missing something as I’m not that familiar with the story.

Edit: or a “the” is missing, The Demon’s Souls

Last edited:

eNT1TY

I wouldn’t say it’s ridiculous, but Demon’s Souls is weird. I mean, it’s about the many souls of an entity named Demon? Because to me proper grammatical way would be Demons’ Souls, meaning the souls of many demons. It’s entitely possible that I’m just missing something as I’m not that familiar with the story.
Maybe you're the demon and they are your souls and/or the real souls are the demons you meet along the way.

It just means Dana's Sorrow or Tears of Dana.

What's weird with that ?

Not really a RPG, more of a story driven title but 1000xResist had me rising an eyebrow when I first looked at the game.
Bingo. The word Lacrimosa comes from the lacmiral gland, a/k/a the tear duct.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
void* tRrLM2(); //Void Terrarium 2
For those who don't understand it that would be a line in a C or maybe C++ program, a prototype of a function called tRrLM2 which uses no arguments and returns a pointer to a void (basically anything). Two consecutive dashes is a comment to usually document the line, and then the real name, Void Terrarium 2.

I came here to post both this and Mon-Yu so will have to settle with this one (although it's from a Chinese maker). The name is everything, not just Infinite Combate:

Cvni4Be.png

It just means Dana's Sorrow or Tears of Dana.

What's weird with that ?

Not really a RPG, more of a story driven title but 1000xResist had me rising an eyebrow when I first looked at the game.
Because they’re using lacrimosa, and even if they just used “Tears of Dana,” it’s a lame title. I would not be interested in a novel or a film called, “the tears of Dana.”
Also I have a friend named Dana and so it makes it sound extra stupid. It’s just someone’s name, who no one really knows unless they play the game. “The Lacrimosa of Frank”. It’s just a shit title.

GHound

Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Honorable mention: White Knight Chronicles wasn't actually a post modern JRPG where we defend e-girls against internet trolls. 0/10 /s

Last edited:
There's this Wizard of Oz themed JRPG on the DS released under the title "The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road" in North America.

In Japan it was called "RIZ-ZOAWD". IIRC the producers admitted to just taking the letters in "Wizard of Oz" and jumbling them around a bit.

s-l1200.jpg

Last edited:

Paltheos

If you don’t think lacrimosa of Dana is a weird title, I don’t know what to tell you.

I said 'not weird enough'. We're talking grand champion here, man. One weird word in the title is trumped by a couple common words mashed together with seemingly no sense or whatever the Neptunia games have going on.

Top Bottom