• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motivational speaker goes off after being disrespected by high school kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

“Have you lost your mind?” Motivational speaker goes off after being disrespected by high schoolers

direct video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=220&v=MsTCsmqkezQ

maxresdefault.jpg

ST. LOUIS, Mo. –
Eric Thomas stopped by Vashon High School to speak to students, especially because 70 percent of the district’s students are reading below grade level.

Thomas started by telling the teens about dropping out of high school and being homeless in Detroit. However, his life turned around when he met a preacher who inspired him to go back to school.

The speech took a turn when he had to continue to tell a group of students to be quiet.

“Listen to me very closely. They pay me $50,000 to $100,000 when I speak to corporate America. I go to a basketball program and they pay me good. I ain’t getting a dime here. I’m here because I love you, but I’ll be darned if I come here for free and you disrespect me. I ain’t 20-years-old. I ain’t 19-years-old. I’m a grown man. I’m here because I love you. I’m here because I love ya’ll, they ain’t paid me a dime. As a matter of fact, I came to use my influence to raise money so a group of kids can go to Costa Rica. I’m not here to get nothing, I’m here to give you something. I’m not here to take nothing from you. I’m here to give you something.

You can’t disrespect the people that’s trying to look out for you, cause you ain’t got a whole bunch of, you ain’t got a lot of dudes, look me up! You ain’t got a lot of dudes that do what I do that’s coming to your school. No disrespect, the dude’s you listening to, you listening my man and jamming to his album, he ain’t coming here. And I just heard we had a rapper here last night. How many schools did he go to? How many elementary schools? He came and took your money, but he didn’t invest nothing back into you.

And you’re gonna have the nerve to laugh and joke when teachers are trying to teach you? You got the nerve to act the fool when somebody cares about you? You’re talking when I’m talking. Do you know that if I go to a Jewish school, them kids are quiet. If I go to a white school, them kids quiet. If I go to a Latino school, they quiet. The only kids that disrespect me is black kids. That’s it, my own, are the only ones who disrespect me. I work in any other school and they’re like, ET, we’re taking notes. I come home, you talking. You’re capping jokes. You think something is funny. Look how we’re living. Ain’t nothing funny. Ain’t nothing funny y’all.

When I got my PHD, what embarrassed me, they’re asking me like, ‘What’s wrong with our urban schools?’ I’m like why are you asking me? I’m in class just like you’re in class. The teachers want to know, professors want to know why are your kids, what’s the problem in the school system? I’m embarrassed, ya’ll. I’m a grown man and I’m embarrassed that they talk about ya’ll and you want to know why I’m embarrassed? Because what they don’t know is that you ain’t even trying when you take the test. You didn’t give your best. They think you dumb. You ain’t dumb. You can’t take our people from Africa and put us in a diaspora and spread us all over the world. We survived slavery, and we can’t pass a test? Come on!

I ain’t stupid. You take everything from us and we still survive. You want to tell me that we can’t learn how to write? Have you lost your mind? We are survivors. That is all we do is survive.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's a good speech. It started off being really weird in that he was effectively talking about how big he was, but it turned into something much more meaningful.

I wonder how many kids actually listened to that.

entremet

Urban school systems can be nightmare.

I always fell bad for the kids who want to learn but the chorus of knuckleheads drags down the instruction.

He looks like LL Cool J.

Dennis

Banned
Yeah, kids are assholes. Partly because they don't know any better and are in their own sheltered world.

But he is specifically saying that these kids have a problem:

You’re talking when I’m talking. Do you know that if I go to a Jewish school, them kids are quiet. If I go to a white school, them kids quiet. If I go to a Latino school, they quiet. The only kids that disrespect me is black kids.

Speevy

Banned
But he is specifically saying this is the problem:

Is that a problem though?

I teach 25 impoverished African American students 5 days a week. They're some of the sweetest kids you'll ever meet, but I will tell them when they're being loud and disrespectful.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What an awesome speech. Powerful stuff.

entremet

I teach 25 impoverished African American students 5 days a week. They're some of the sweetest kids you'll ever meet, but I will tell them when they're being loud and disrespectful.

He's speaking from his experience as a speaker at schools, not as a teacher.

tkscz

I sense no lies here. This was the type of shit that happened to speakers when I was in high school and not just with speakers either.

Dennis

Banned

You tell me.

This speaker seems to think it is a problem.

tkscz

You tell me.

It's becomes a problem when a lesson can't get through. I remember in high school we'd miss an entire lesson and get left behind because most of the class was loud and disrespectful. And those teachers tried their hardest to get the lesson done.

Mesousa

Banned
"If I go to a jewish school them kids quiet. If I go to a white school them kids quiet. If I go to a latino school they quiet. The only kids that disrespect me is black kids"

Thats also grade A self hate bullshit right there. "There goes ET! We taking notes" is what I am sure all those jewish kids say when ET the "HIP HOP" preacher comes in their schools. Trying to shame an already marginalized group by putting others on pedestals around them does nothing but create inferiority complexes.

I am sure his heart is in the right place, but the "Other groups don't do this" shit that many African American folks use to shame their own into submission needs to end. The kids interrupting him were just bored kids, not an indictment on African American youth.

Speevy

Banned
You tell me.

No, I'm saying it's a problem that you need to address to these kids.

Impoverished kids have very different home lives than those who grow up in privilege, and many do not learn basic things like manners, not to hit people, not to steal from people, or why you shouldn't take revenge against every person who displeases you.

They don't trust easily, and like most kids, they are very self-interested. They need all the guidance you can give them because they're used to being yelled at, hit, and put on the bus.

Impoverished kids' parents expect you to play a large role in raising their kids, so you have to let them know how kids are supposed to act.

dream

"If I go to a jewish school them kids quiet. If I go to a white school them kids quiet. If I go to a latino school they quiet. The only kids that disrespect me is black kids"

Thats also grade A self hate bullshit right there. "There goes ET! We taking notes" is what I am sure all those jewish kids say when ET the "HIP HOP" preacher comes in their schools. Trying to shame an already marginalized group by putting others on pedestals around them does nothing but create inferiority complexes.

I am sure his heart is in the right place, but the "Other groups don't do this" shit that many African American folks use to shame their own into submission needs to end. The kids interrupting him were just bored kids, not an indictment on African American youth.

Am I reading this correctly? Are you calling him an Uncle Tom?

DeVeAn

He says this because he cares about them. He is trying to make them aware of there situation and the reality of it. He kept it real as he should.

Dad Boner

Banned

It sounds like a direct indictment on African American youth, actually. As in, the entire point of his statement was an indictment on African American youth.

Speevy

Banned
There is a very large difference between a black person telling black kids that they have the power to change their situation and a black person telling white people that black people are their own worst enemy.

One is empowering while the other is not helpful.

Mesousa

Banned
Am I reading this correctly? Are you calling him an Uncle Tom?

Of course not. I simply called out self hate line of thinking in his speech which is damaging.

He says this because he cares about them. He is trying to make them aware of there situation and the reality of it. He kept it real as he should.

There is no reality in mythical jewish,white, and Latino kids acting like angels while African American kids default to disrespect. It is a damaging lie, and anybody who has ever been inside a school knows as much.

diaspora

Of course not. I simply called out self hate line of thinking in his speech which is damaging.

There is no reality in mythical jewish,white, and Latino kids acting like angels while African American kids default to disrespect. It is a damaging lie, and anybody who has ever been inside a school knows as much.
Been at schools like Thomas?

Breads

Banned

Being embarassed is not the same thing as self loathing. Everything has the capacity to look bad if you quote mine though.

tkscz

No, I'm saying it's a problem that you need to address to these kids.

Impoverished kids have very different home lives than those who grow up in privilege, and many do not learn basic things like manners, not to hit people, not to steal from people, or why you shouldn't take revenge against every person who displeases you.

They don't trust easily, and like most kids, they are very self-interested. They need all the guidance you can give them because they're used to being yelled at, hit, and put on the bus.

Impoverished kids' parents expect you to play a large role in raising their kids, so you have to let them know how kids are supposed to act.

That's untrue as hell. I was poor in the ghetto (still in the ghetto) as a kid. Our parents beat the hell out of us if we fucked up. Every kid had a "my momma/daddy beat the hell out of me because I ___ in school" story. I got beat for not doing homework (I was the "good one" of my mom's 6 kids). Every black comedian has a momma/daddy beat me growing up story. We get the shit disciplined out of us, however, our environment, our society teaches that hustling is simply better than going to school. And growing up in the hood, people will turn their backs on you instantly and fuck you over. You can't trust a stranger on the street because you don't know if someone you know fucked with someone he knows and now him and his boys are about to jump you, so we don't trust anyone that easily.

FroJay

Banned
I've always had respect for ET (Eric Thomas). No sugarcoated bs in that speech. He was homeless himself.....and turned his life around. Time for people to listen to the message and wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom