• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

Today at Indy:

CE5pGdrWMAAMrzp.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQZ0mnJKllU

Holy moly :O

That's about as soft and gentle as you're ever likely to see a flip at IMS be.

caramac

Nasty high side for Aleix Espagaro during practice for tomorrows MotoGP race at Le Mans

He was given the ok to return to practice after a visit to the medical centre.

kliyuh.gif

Business

Nasty high side for Aleix Espagaro during practice for tomorrows MotoGP race at Le Mans

He was given the ok to return to practice after a visit to the medical centre.

kliyuh.gif

Scary, specially to think this happening during the race when the last thing you want is rejoining the track.

Not the best MotoGP race today, Marquez's overtakes towards the end were sick though, specially the last one that seemed straight out of dirt track. Moto3 delivered as always.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Four weeks until the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I'll be making the thread again, if no one minds.

Audi and Porsche look like the favourites for outright victory, with Toyota slightly lacking at the moment. Nissan will certainly be fast on the straights, but reliability may be their Achilles heal. Of course, they may surprise, and they have been rather aggressive in their marketing build-up (see their "not here to make friends" advert below).

popeql7.jpg

The official poster for the race is expected in the next few weeks.

Shaneus

Oh god yes, I cannot wait! I'm hopeful of a Porsche victory, especially with Webber's comments that the only reason they didn't win at Spa was due to "own goals". Will be watching as much of it as I can (so long as it's easy to find a stream).

Failing that, I'll be listening to Le Mans FM (or whatever it was called).

Edmond Dantès;164273212 said:
Four weeks until the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I'll be making the thread again, if no one minds.
By all means!

Nissan is the wild card (though I'll be shocked if they last the whole race...), but I suspect Toyota will be stronger than they've shown in the first 2 races. They've come up short at Le Mans the last few years even when they've had the pace, it would make sense for them to be holding their best stuff back for the big race this year.

Talamius

Hope Hinch recovers quickly and fully.

What's scary is that the car almost flipped well after impact and it still appeared to be aero. The aero design flaws have got to be corrected ASAP.

http://espn.go.com/racing/story/_/i...en-hospital-wreck-indianapolis-motor-speedway

Now James Hinchcliffe has been hospitalized after the latest major crash during practice for the Indy 500.
Jesus christ.

Wasn't the new car design supposed to be much safer and whatnot? I remember that being discussed a few years ago when Wheldon died.

I guess it's still open wheel, so there's only so much you can do...

e: just watched the video. Fuuuuck, that's a brutal impact.

dubc35

Jesus christ.

Wasn't the new car design supposed to be much safer and whatnot? I remember that being discussed a few years ago when Wheldon died.

Reported as a mechanical failure, will always be part of the risk of racing.

Jezbollah

Jesus christ.

The DW12s have been racing in Indycars since 2012 - but this year saw some revised rules on bespoke aerodynamics. I suspect this is the real cause..

thefro

The DW12s have been racing in Indycars since 2012 - but this year saw some revised rules on bespoke aerodynamics. I suspect this is the real cause..

Yeah, something with the aero changes this year seems to be causing the flipping. The car's safety has been excellent beyond that.

I suspect the problem is they cut a hole in the undertray that was on the stock car at close to the last minute to take out ~= 300 lbs of downforce. They were worried the manufacturers would have too much downforce with the new body kits.

Chris R

I don't know... people will hate me, but I feel that these huge speedways are too dangerous.

The speedway isn't the issue. The car can just carry sooooo much speed into the corner and if you wiggle you've lost it. Reduce the corning speed and watch the incidents drop.

Chris R

Monaco done. Indy now

Coke 600 later today.

Hope the next two races are as eventful as the Monaco race was!

edit: crash heavy 500, but a great finish. Coke 600 in a few hours

moojito

Holy shit at that F3-crash a few minutes ago!

Driver is OK.

Edit: ...and another one rolls over several times!

Edit 2: [|url]https://youtu.be/YtyY50gMEts[/url]

Edit 3: The second one - [|url]https://youtu.be/DSVme4VacPM[/url]

Damn, big thumbs up for the solid construction of these cars!

Mastah

Stroll not leaving enough space for another driver alongside? It seems it isn't new:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03xgQHLMTL4

Fortunately even very rich father and buying into Ferrari Driver Academy don't guarantee immortality, but sadly one day that will be learned the hard way.

In both F3 races there were some simply disgraceful maneuvers. That's what you get when you sanitize circuits (I just can't look at how they all were treating run-off at Parabolica as actual race track, lap after lap :/ ), while dangerous driving across all categories isn't harshly penalised *cough* Maldonado *cough*, because there's too much money involved.

Stroll not leaving enough space for another driver alongside? It seems it isn't new:

Fortunately even very rich father and buying into Ferrari Driver Academy don't guarantee immortality, but sadly one day that will be learned the hard way.

In both F3 races there were some simply disgraceful maneuvers. That's what you get when you sanitize circuits (I just can't look at how they all were treating run-off at Parabolica as actual race track, lap after lap :/ ), while dangerous driving across all categories isn't harshly penalised *cough* Maldonado *cough*, because there's too much money involved.

Some crazy driving.

Amazingly they have called off the 3rd race of the weekend over driver standard concerns.

Jesus christ at that video. On a fucking oval?

The nice thing about forms of racing with fenders is that he would've found his ass in the wall the next turn...

Mastah

I agree with Karun:

Karun Chandhok ‏@karunchandhok 1h1 hour ago

Just watching the @fiaf3europe races from Monza - most appalling driving standards I've ever seen! Don't blame them for cancelling race 3

Still think all this extra tarmac areas encourage the kids to use it regularly instead of "get out of jail". Let's bring back the gravel!

I've spotted at least 3 drivers that deserve a ban for driving dangerously! Need to learn to accept when you've lost a place & then re-pass

Top Bottom