• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

Tekniqs

I really hope that some of you caught the MotoGP race just now.

It was fucking fantastic.

Grandpa Vale!

Pedrosa might be missing the next few races (or year even) as he revealed he's had arm pump for the past year and can't continue racing like that. He had surgery last year to try to fix it but it didn't improve.

I wonder if Stoner would be willing to do a one year deal....

TJP

I really hope that some of you caught the MotoGP race just now.

It was fucking fantastic.
Great racing indeed. Nice to see Rossi win and also Ducati return to the podium. I wonder if Stoner will also think a return to red would be good right now..although he's riding for Honda this year in the 8 hour Suzuka race.

Did anyone catch Colin Edwards on the commentary?

The Indycar opener was so frustrating. Great to see Montoya back to form, but man the new aerokits are serving just to guarantee a snoozfest with all the cautions. Seriously, the F1 aero kits have never been this fragile. Are Indycar's make so cheaply?

Webber :(

After losing a heap of time due to the full course yellow ending while they were in the pit's Audi look to be back in the box seat.

Lol, now they are looking for shortcuts!

Webber's car has a rear drive problem and is in the pits.

The two Audi's were racing each other and went off the track in T1.

Audi has amazing aero but lacks top speed.

Yeah the Porsche top speed advantage is amazing. I wonder if they are doing what they did last year here, brought the low downforce kit while Audi had a higher downforce one. Of course I think Porsche only had a low downforce one at that point in their development cycle.

Edit: Even the Doc is laughing now!

I thought the late stop-go penalty would kill any chance for victory, and the Porsche was certainly closing fast in final minutes, but this was an amazing drive and a great win for Fassler and the crew of the #7 Audi. Bring on Spa!

Shaneus

Damn, bummed I missed it. I assume there's nowhere that would have the race online?

At 2 hour 37 minute mark. Those track workers were lucky to escape uninjured
It's closer to 2:42 :) But yeah, very, very lucky. Didn't look like there was any contact with that Bentley(?) prior though, so I wonder what happened.

TJP

Damn, bummed I missed it. I assume there's nowhere that would have the race online?

It's closer to 2:42 :) But yeah, very, very lucky. Didn't look like there was any contact with that Bentley(?) prior though, so I wonder what happened.
2:42:30 is exactly where the McLaren spears off...

The track workers were VERY lucky to avoid being kit and/or killed. As Watson said in his commentary, it certianly looked like a mechanical failure.

TJP

But, Marquez, is its Schumacher to Senna. Rossi was its Senna to a lot of us.
Nice short & sweet article A Fish Aficionado! Mike Hailwood is my Senna or GOAT...

• Nine world championships, including four 500cc titles in succession and came within fourteen points of winning the 500cc title six times..
  • Won 74 GP's in 6 years
  • Won GP's in each of the 250cc, 350cc and 500cc classes, including winning GPs in all three classes in the same season, 5 times.
  • Won all 3 classes in one day 5 times.
  • 14 Isle of Man wins, including coming out of retirement at the age of 38 to win the Isle of Man two years in succession.

There is no doubt Rossi is a genius on two wheels and Marquez is well on is way to having a stellar career but the MotoGP history books contain quite a few other sublime talents that are seldom remembered.

... and he raced in F1, and he raced at LeMans. What a life.

The Schumacher/Senna comparison is a fair one, but in the moment. Schuey, and Marc still had/have long careers ahead of them to make their case as GOAT material.

caramac

Awesome masterclass by Vale in the MotoGP race, Marquez showed his inexperience here a little and should have settled for 20 points. It was pretty much nailed on that Vale would take the win given the tyre situation.

3oEduQWSNdklRfNife.gif

Jezbollah

Holy shitballs what a MotoGP race. Again, it puts F1 to shame.

3 British podiums on the same day! Last time that's happened I believe was 1978.

Also, this:

GP wins so far in 2015:
Germany 1
Italy 2
Spain 1
France 2
Great Britain: 3

+ two WSB wins for Jonathan Rea and the F1 win for Lewis Hamilton

God Save The Queen :D

Business

Awesome masterclass by Vale in the MotoGP race, Marquez showed his inexperience here a little and should have settled for 20 points. It was pretty much nailed on that Vale would take the win given the tyre situation.

3oEduQWSNdklRfNife.gif

Rossi was the only rider out there Marquez was not going to intimidate.

Tekniqs

Rossi was the only rider out there Marquez was not going to intimidate.

Rossi probably relishes battles more than Marquez does. Shit won't fly with him. Maybe with Pedrosa...but certainly not Vale. Hell, even Lorenzo (when he channels his 250cc days) is fearsome.

TJP

So glad that MotoGP is on Eurosport again. What a season so far!

And Superbike today was just as spectacular!
Yep..today was a vintage day for bike racing - the old man proved age and experience can win over raw talent and WSBK was sublime to watch.

I read your post on MotoBanzai Dan27 - a great day for the UK for sure.

B.K.

Fucking Jimmie Johnson. Any other driver would get parked for that, but he always gets a pass because he's Brian France's golden boy.

What a finish to the MGP race. The overhead heli shot was a little more kind to Marc, but it was ugly either way. Points down the toilet. Rossi, what more can you say about this guy?

Fairly enjoyable IndyCar race today. Long Beach can be a bit of a snoozer, but Monty kept it entertaining. I would have loved to see ten replays of his slice on Pag, but saw none... The TV direction still needs some work. Pit stops don't trump important on track battles, Mr Director.

TJP

What a finish to the MGP race. The overhead heli shot was a little more kind to Marc, but it was ugly either way. Points down the toilet. Rossi, what more can you say about this guy?
Great team behind Rossi too which helps in a huge way too. I can't help but wonder how J.Burgess feels about his departing comments nowadays not that Jerry has anything to prove given his success with multiple riders across many decades.

I have about zero sympathy for Marquez after he actually contacted Rossi himself. It was so perfect that he didn't even make it to the next corner. I lol'd.

Great team behind Rossi too which helps in a huge way too. I can't help but wonder how J.Burgess feels about his departing comments nowadays not that Jerry has anything to prove given his success with multiple riders across many decades.

Yeah I mean as much as we all love Rossi, after 2010, I don't think anyone would have taken a bet that he would turn it around as much as he has. Seeing him ride at such a high level now, soul crushing Jorge to boot. Burgess' comments look petty, but at the time it seemed like he was probably right.

Vale's legend didn't need any more growth, but the last couple of years with his new crew chief have been pretty incredible. Maybe not to his lofty standards, but the way he's handling Jorge now, it just seemed entirely improbable with Burgess (2nd Yamaha stint). It does make you think that he probably believed those comments before he actually said them, and the 2013 results are more of a reflection of his effort. As you said though, just a minor blemish on an incredible career.

Shaneus

Look at what Rossi did when he visited Colin Edwards' 'Boot Camp' before the Austin MotoGP race:
You've got to love both guys...such great people on and off the track.
I still remember some of the earliest footage I'd seen of Rossi was when he finished a race (I'm sure it was Philip Island) and ran straight to a portable toilet that was trackside (and nowhere near the pits). Is it safe to assume he's still a genuinely nice guy despite his success?

TJP

I still remember some of the earliest footage I'd seen of Rossi was when he finished a race (I'm sure it was Philip Island) and ran straight to a portable toilet that was trackside (and nowhere near the pits). Is it safe to assume he's still a genuinely nice guy despite his success?
The attitude regarding Rossi depends on who you talk too. Many fans & pundits think Rossi is the GOAT (or close to it) on and off the track whilst others have very few nice things to say about him as he's apparently quite the politician and leverages his massive support at every opportunity.

That said, I like all the riders, naturally some more than others, and Rossi remains a favourite of mine from his 125cc days to now. I own all of his 1/6th scale Minchamp models too ;) Julian Ryder once said anyone who can qualify for a MotoGP race is a hero and I agree.

The best Rossi post-race was the blow-up doll he rode around with as a 'fuck you' to Max Biaggi who was said to be dating a supermodel at the time. That along with the blow-up dong with a flag waving off the shaft caused Kevin Magee to utter the famous 'that's half a mongrel' line on Foxsports AU.

Top Bottom