• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Philanthropist said:
The update is available. 57 MB.
Can someone confirm if they're still loosing XP even when coming in 1st place, from time to time?

Erebus

navanman said:
The patch has been pulled from PSN, PS forums mention it wasn't meant for release yet.

What's that supposed to mean? There was a post about the update on the PSBlog the other day.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Sounds like it was uploaded to PSN by accident early this afternoon GMT and then pulled after 2-3 hrs.

The update has now been pulled, and the announcement below removed.

GamersDigest inquired the status of the patch and got the following in reply;

It was released by Evolution in error. It’s coming soon - and that’s all I can say.

Erebus

navanman said:
Sounds like it was uploaded to PSN by accident early this afternoon GMT and then pulled after 2-3 hrs.

Hope there's nothing wrong with the early update because it's already installed on my PS3. :lol

Do you think it's better to delete it?

Seiken said:
Can someone confirm if they're still loosing XP even when coming in 1st place, from time to time?

It didn't happen, and I have a little story for that :D

Annoying guy talking to a friend (this update should have included a mute option, damn it) before the race starts. It's Raingod Spires. We both ride bikes. I am first and that guy is catching up. He catches up in the second half of the second lap, screams like he's going to win. I punch him and make him lose several positions. I win. The guy goes mad. Priceless :lol

Next race, same track, same guy talking to the same friend. He gets all excited and nervous when he sees me joining the race. He managed to get first and I was a close second during the race. He crashes near the end of the second lap among loud screams and I pass him. We see the goal and he catches up. I try to get through the goal by exploding to win. I explode but I don't cross it, so I was going to lose. When I respawn, it turns out the guy crashed again like 2 meters away from the goal, or maybe I made him crash somehow when I exploded. I cross the goal slowly and I win. The guy went "OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! He did it again!!! F****CK!!!" :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Erebus

Philanthropist said:
It didn't happen, and I have a little story for that :D

Annoying guy talking to a friend (this update should have included a mute option, damn it) before the race starts. It's Raingod Spires. We both ride bikes. I am first and that guy is catching up. He catches up in the second half of the second lap, screams like he's going to win. I punch him and make him lose several positions. I win. The guy goes mad. Priceless :lol

Next race, same track, same guy talking to the same friend. He gets all excited and nervous when he sees me joining the race. He managed to get first and I was a close second during the race. He crashes near the end of the second lap among loud screams and I pass him. We see the goal and he catches up. I try to get through the goal by exploding to win. I explode but I don't cross it, so I was going to lose. When I respawn, it turns out the guy crashed again like 2 meters away from the goal, or maybe I made him crash somehow when I exploded. I cross the goal slowly and I win. The guy went "OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! He did it again!!! F****CK!!!" :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Hey add me on PSN if you want. I'll probably play some online ranked races later.

Ploid 3.0

Hmm I don't remember downloading the patch yet when I try to use the boost exploit it don't work. I might be doing it wrong, and it's in single player.

Melfice7

2vw90np.jpg

Love this shot.. i lost the race though
72dnip.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to do a Barrel Roll? I've hit off rocks before and done a triple barrel roll and landed it and still didn't get the trophy. Is there a certain way it needs to be done?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Blu_LED said:
Can anyone tell me how to do a Barrel Roll? I've hit off rocks before and done a triple barrel roll and landed it and still didn't get the trophy. Is there a certain way it needs to be done?

I know the feeling, I have even done some off ramps (accidently) and no trophy! I very much doubt the game can monitor my intent to perform this stunt, so why doesn't it get awarded?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Blu_LED said:

The track thats based on the side of the volcano and ends at the top of the mountain by old observatory is where I got the trophy. I crashed and tumbled the whole way down the volcano face and got awarded the trophy.

DoomGyver

I got all golds in the festival and completed all of the time trails. Won my first 3 ranked races. Now I'm waiting for this patch so I don't lose my save data. Do you guys think the patch will hit this coming week?

Was looking to buy this soon but had one inquiry:

What controls options do they offer this time around?

Holding down R2 for an extended period of time gets pretty exhausting so can you use the face buttons or right analog stick? ....Also, are the face buttons NOT ANALOG this time like in Motorstorm1. I hated how you had to press down super hard just for it to register a full throttle

Thanks again

jjasper

Blu_LED said:

I got it cause my driver did a roll after I wrecked.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AgentOtaku said:
Was looking to buy this soon but had one inquiry:

What controls options do they offer this time around?

Holding down R2 for an extended period of time gets pretty exhausting so can you use the face buttons or right analog stick? ....Also, are the face buttons NOT ANALOG this time like in Motorstorm1. I hated how you had to press down super hard just for it to register a full throttle

Thanks again
I know you can press X to accelerate if that's what you mean. I think they are pressure sensitive as well. I don't find that I have press excessively hard to get full throttle. have you downloaded the demo? I'm pretty sure that it has control options included.

MadOdorMachine said:
I know you can press X to accelerate if that's what you mean. I think they are pressure sensitive as well. I don't find that I have press excessively hard to get full throttle. have you downloaded the demo? I'm pretty sure that it has control options included.

unfortunately nope, no options for BOTH demos.

That's cool that it's pressure sensitive. Like I said though, in Motostorm1 you had to press HARD to go full speed and it quickly became annoying. If it's more like GT5:p's analog button implementation, then I'm a happy happy man!

Loudninja

Haven’t Tried MotorStorm: Pacific Rift Yet? New Demo Coming Today
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift has been out for a couple of months now, and we’ve been rabidly beavering away on producing a pile of downloadable content to give you some new gameplay to get you teeth into. But for you unfortunates who have yet to taste the thrill of destroying a tropical paradise with a bevvy of dirt racing machines, we’ve also put together a brand new demo of the game, which should be available to download from the PlayStation Store later today.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...storm-pacific-rift-yet-new-demo-coming-today/

jett

D-Member
I tried out the new demo, the track is much prettier and interesting than the one in the previous demo. Although, just like the other track, it doesn't seem to have any HDR lighting compared to MS1. Lighting is just very meh compared to teh first game...

GodofWine

jett said:
I tried out the new demo, the track is much prettier and interesting than the one in the previous demo. Although, just like the other track, it doesn't seem to have any HDR lighting compared to MS1. Lighting is just very meh compared to teh first game...

The demo should be called 'Hey, play this piece of crap demo and then don't buy the game cause we published a shit demo'...the demo does the game ZERO justice.

Mic Question
My mic sensitivity on MSPR sucks, I have to basically take it off my ear and yell into it most of the time to make it register, but can hear everyone fine...and it works in all other games fine...any ideas?? (I've turned the mic volume up in the XMB and that really didn't work, it just makes me REALLY loud when it does work...)

There's no problem with HDR lighting in that track (or in the rest of the game altogether). The dawn version is particularly good.

That said, it's still not among the top 5 tracks in the game to me.

They should of used the EDGE during morning. That's the most breathtaking track IMO, and it's not too challenging which is good for newcomers.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I'm not sure what track they used, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Pretty much. The lighting in this game is god-like. You really appreciate it in first-person perspective (which should be the default).

Madman

jett said:
The lighting in Pacific Rift is definitely better then 1. 1 still looks great, but PR looks incredible at times.

Thrakier

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I'm not sure what track they used, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Yeah, don't get this either. Imo the lighting is awesome, even more awesome than in the first one.

daaamit, i keep spacing out i have this game and need to play more. I looove what ive played so far. Its just i get home late and want to sit down to play a game to relax, but this game amps me up to like ten, and then i cant winddown in time to get some sleep. hahaha. so i cant play too late at night.

ChryZ

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift Game Update 1 Now Live
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/18/motorstorm-pacific-rift-game-update-1-now-live/

Time to rev up your engines guys, because the MotorStorm: Pacific Rift Game Update 1 is finally here! More than just a patch, there’s a load of new features in there that will make your time playing MS: PR that little bit sweeter. Check the full list for the comprehensive details, but in the meantime, here’s a peek at a few of the major elements:

* You can now back up your save data for later restoration to the User Account it was created under (on any PS3 system, so you shouldn’t ever need to lose your personal progress).
* A ‘MotorStorm Helmet’ icon is now displayed on-screen during critical data saves. This is in addition to the HDD Access Indicator, which currently flashes while the game makes a critical save.
* We’ve fixed an exploit that was recently found where pausing and unpausing during critical boosting would grant you an extra second or so of boost. Repeated over and over people have been able to shave seconds off the top leaderboard times. Seems like a lot of work for someone just to cheat at a leaderboard time, but it’s all fixed now. Anyone who has used this exploit please be warned - we’ll be clearing down your times off the leaderboards shortly.
* We’ve made the online rankings easier to understand, and made the whole Online experience even smoother and easier.
* You can be confident that Photos taken in Photo Mode will now look their best, because we’ve tuned the graphics up a notch in this mode.

There’s plenty of other stuff in there too, so make sure to grab the new patch next time you take the game online (don’t worry, you’ll be prompted!).

ChryZ

Angst said:
Awesome! Will update tonight.

I didn't much care for the original Motorstorm, but bought this after hearing Ryan talking about it on Co-op a couple of weeks age. I'm really, really happy I bought it.

It's getting quite hard now - I've reached rank 6 in festival and Veteran online.
Don't give up on the game when you get stuck. Try another event, play some time trial (beat the dev's ghosts) or play online. You can unlock stuff like cars that way. Some cars handle differently and might help you with the last few festival events. I spend 40h+ with this game and I'm not bored yet.

ChryZ

CurlySaysX said:
Too late for me.
:*(

My data corrupted last week and i lost all my time trial times and stats.
I only had the lightweight trophy I was at 40/50 and the time trial trophy 80/128.
Oh shit, that sucks. I'm close to platinum. I should really do a backup asap, huh?

Angst

ChryZ said:
Don't give up on the game when you get stuck. Try another event, play some time trial (beat the dev's ghosts) or play online. You can unlock stuff like cars that way. Some cars handle differently and might help you with the last few festival events. I spend 40h+ with this game and I'm not bored yet.

Yeah that's what I've been doing. Although when you've started playing online it's sort of hard to go back to Festival mode. The online is really good and my only complaint is that I have to play against some people chatting a bit much in their native, unintelligible (to me) moon language. :lol

ChryZ said:

You forgot to post this:

Game Update 2 is also on the way soon, which has some very cool new content in it, especially if you have a bit of a penchant for collecting cool stuff, or if you’re the type of person who enjoys PS3 Trophies and the like. I’ll say no more for now, and leave that one hanging there…

ChryZ said:
Oh shit, that sucks. I'm close to platinum. I should really do a backup asap, huh?
Yep. IMO
I had thought about backing up my save file a few times after the first update but could never be stuffed.
I think my file corrupted because i turned the triple off as it was saving something. That save icon on screen will be useful.

ChryZ

CurlySaysX said:
Yep. IMO
I had thought about backing up my save file a few times after the first update but could never be stuffed.
I think my file corrupted because i turned the triple off as it was saving something. That save icon on screen will be useful.
Do you used the PS-button/XMB to shutdown the system or the power switch on the back of the machine?

ChryZ

Philanthropist said:
You forgot to post this:

Game Update 2 is also on the way soon, which has some very cool new content in it, especially if you have a bit of a penchant for collecting cool stuff, or if you’re the type of person who enjoys PS3 Trophies and the like. I’ll say no more for now, and leave that one hanging there…
Sounds an awful lot like what they've done with MS1. Lots of skins (useless), a few standalone cars (less useless) and rarely track+car+event combo (awesome).

CurlySaysX said:
Long press PS button.
That's how I usually do it D:

Top Bottom