• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

W00t! Targets PS3 shelves were pretty picked over but they had like six copies of Motorstorm PR, played for about an hour.

Thoughts:
Looks great, plays great, is great
Online is flawless

Well worth the $40 :D

Facism

So i asked previously in this thread whether splitscreen exteneded to online, and after a little reading, it doesn't.

Massive shame. It won't be sitting in my game librabry anytime soon :(

The Good:
* Graphics look incredible
* More tracks (and good tracks at that)
* New Race Types (Elimination, Time Trial etc.)
* Load times are gone, no more waiting for your car to load much better and faster
* Online works flawlessly, haven't encountered any lag, leaderboards, ranked/unranked racing
* Destructible environments
* Photo mode
* MONSTER TRUCKS

The Bad:
* I've had frame rate drop once or twice, nothing to ruin the experience but its still there
* Rubber band AI is back

Those are my full thoughts after about five hours, still no problems online except getting pushed around like a bitch when I chose an ATV and everyone else was in mudpluggers. :lol

Damn, I bought this game off ebay for a cheap price. Played it about 3 times and loooooooved it. I just have so many damn games I am trying to get through I havent gotten a chance to play it more. I still have burnout paradise to get through too.

No45

Can anyone think of a logical reason why there's no option to switch the handbrake button with the horn? I know which I'd rather have easy access to...

I'm up to Festival Rank 6 on this now and still loving it to bits. Bar the odd bit of frustration the progression on this is bang on the money - you're always challenged yet you're always close enough to feel like you can get the gold with a decent attempt.

I think I enjoy the Speed races more than anything else though. I love time trial style gameplay.

Oliver.S

The track design in this sequel is so much better. I have a great time with Motorstom 2 at the moment. I can play the same tracks and races over and over again and every time it’s new and a ton of fun. I would go so far as to say that this is (in my opinion) the best racer since F-Zero GX.

Kawasaki

I got motorstorm 2 a few days ago and I'm now 150 points from reaching level 8 in the festival with some races left. I absolutely hated the original motorstorm and it was the worst game I played last year. I still got MS2, because I have a weakspot for crappy racing games. Heck, I even finished nfs: undercover.

MS2 really is a big improvement over the original, but I still think it's a polished turd. The core gameplay in motorstorm is still annoying instead of challenging. Even when I win, I don't get any satisfaction, because luck plays such a huge role. The AI is suicidal and there just to ruin your life. I just finished a level 7 event on a motorcycle. Three cars were in front of me and repeated everything I did. Brake on a straight, turn left, turn right. EVERYTHING. Speed event are the least fun I've ever had in a racing game. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea that your car blows up if you touch the smoke marking a checkpoint. Nothing like going over a jump to a checkpoint you can't see and instead of getting the satisfaction of "man that was close" you wreck your big rig that can go trough building, because it hit a small smoke canister. Checkpoints are also placed in the worst possible spot just so you have to retry as many times as possible to get a gold.

Looking back is too slow. Last night I was leading an online race and decided to check if any monster trucks were behind me. There was one, but he wasn't the problem. The car that was left on the starting grid and didn't turn into a ghost after 1 lap of idling was. I crashed with it just, because looking back took two seconds instead of the second it should.

Tracks are so much better than before. You almost never crash on basic jumps. Sadly their big innovations of destructable plants and water aren't a good idea. Why does every cooling station need a trap right after it? I just want to cool my turbo, why is there a jump while my vision is still blurred from the water. While there are less traps on the tracks you still crash a lot, because if you have to avoid those crazy AI cars and the route usually only has a narrow safe area with no stones. Gotta avoid hitting that monster truck, oh I hit that small rock in a blindspot instead. Lighting is IMO great, but why are so many races in conditions where you can't see where you are going. Sun is always shining in your eyes just to make you crash more ofter.

Motorstorm 2 has one of the best soundtracks in racing games, but I only like the drum'n'bass songs and while you can select what songs it plays it would be nice to have a clear division between rock and d'n'b.

The Good
+ Graphics
+ Soundtrack and engine sounds
+ Every track is better than any track in the original
+ Elimination races are the best races in SP
+ Menus are much faster, but could still be faster
+ Monster trucks are my new favorite vehicle
+ online works well

The Bad:
- Poor visibility
- Rubber band AI ruins single player races
- AI is crazy
- Speed events are HORRIBLE
- Tracks still have traps in stupid places
- Rumble could be better (like sega rally)
- Motorcycles are too unpredictable. Some times you can land at crazy angles and another time you will crash with a much better landing.
- Outside camera doesn't turn fast enough
- Water and destructable enviroments don't work as well as they could

Sega rally is still the best offroad racer this generation, but at least MS2 is a step in the right direction (and better than Pure).

Barrett2

Kawasaki said:
Impresions of game

Interesting stuff. My biggest problem with the first game was also the rubberband AI, I thought it was inexcusable that even though you would run a near-flawless 8 minute race, the majority of the AI opponents would still be within 3 seconds of you at the end. Terrible, terrible design. I should be getting my copy in the mail in a few days; hopefully I enjoy it. If not, oh well, I bought it on sale, I will just sell it and pick up GRID or Sega Rally if I need to.

Kawasaki

Most races in motorstorm 2 are just 2 laps (3-5 minutes) so retrying isn't that frustrating. Usually it takes me at least the first lap to catch the leaders so you aren't defending your position that often.

Barrett2

Just got the game and started playing. Holy crap at the visuals, I said wow! This game looks incredible.

Add me on PSN if you want to race!

PSN - lawblob

No45

Flunkie said:
Ahh those Level 8 Big Rigs and Monster Trucks are being big bullies.
I just hit rank 7 last night and the AI is definitely much more agressive now. Before you could get away with getting close knowing that they wouldn't go out of their way to take you down, but no such comfort now!

Still loving it, and swearing at the screen as much as before.

Has this been posted yet?

"For 2009, I’m looking forward to playing all the new downloadable content for MotorStorm Pacific Rift – we have some awesome new tracks and more content than ever before – all soon to be announced."
Andy Gahan, Development Manager Download Content, Evolution Studios

I'm definitely there for the DLC on MotorStorm 2. I hope they release it in January or early February. Very interested in seeing some new tracks.

Barrett2

Private Hoffman said:
I'm definitely there for the DLC on MotorStorm 2. I hope they release it in January or early February. Very interested in seeing some new tracks.

Awesome! This game is such a great showpiece for PS3 visuals, I hope they include a few more volcano themed tracks. Those are blowing me away right now.

wouwie

I should get into this game again when i finish my other games. I got as far as rank 8 and want to finish it.

Very much looking forward to seeing what they have planned for DLC!

lawblob said:
Awesome! This game is such a great showpiece for PS3 visuals, I hope they include a few more volcano themed tracks. Those are blowing me away right now.

The graphics really are stunning (especially in first person).

Those that said it looked the same as MotorStorm 1 (a lot of the media did) are out of their mind. The game is definitely improved in a number of different areas from the first game.

To me it's the best looking game this year, as odd of a choice as that may seem. The lighting/shadows are just sick along with the motion blur and the number of cars on the screen at once with crashes, etc.

Barrett2

Private Hoffman said:
The graphics really are stunning (especially in first person).

Those that said it looked the same as MotorStorm 1 (a lot of the media did) are out of their mind. The game is definitely improved in a number of different areas from the first game.

To me it's the best looking game this year, as odd of a choice as that may seem. The lighting/shadows are just sick along with the motion blur and the number of cars on the screen at once with crashes, etc.

The sheer visual scope of what the devs crammed into each track is incredible. Everything is so lush and sharp. Mostly I am glad they had more time to fix the problems of the first game. You could tell the first game had a ton of potential, but it just felt rushed, whereas I really can't find any fault with this game. Just an incredible racer.

I totally agree with you about the first person visuals. I normally have a hard time playing racing games in cockpit / closeup view, but I am doing it in this game for the visual payoff.

BatmanX

Private Hoffman said:

Strange I was on msn with a friend of mine and we're talking about the very same thing. People saying that MS1>MS2 haven't played the same game I've played for both single player and online.

Its so great, one of my favorite games on the next gen so far. (and I have wiips360)

trmas

Banned
Picked this up at Target last weekend, and man it is awesome!! But Lord I suck at this. After a few hours of play I have a total of four stinking Golds... Four! I'm gonna be playing this for a long time, especially split-screen with my stepson.

Is the top/down or left/right view better for two player matches?

GodofWine

Well...Im just hitting the late level 6 and early level 7 races (all golds so far) and shit is getting serious now. Its almost more about strategy than speed now.

Im totally stuck on silver in the Razorback race with a racing truck in level 6, Its like I have to be able to take the leader out on the last turn to beat him...but cant...

But I did get a gold or two in level 7 races, so,yay?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GodofWine said:
Well...Im just hitting the late level 6 and early level 7 races (all golds so far) and shit is getting serious now. Its almost more about strategy than speed now.

Im totally stuck on silver in the Razorback race with a racing truck in level 6, Its like I have to be able to take the leader out on the last turn to beat him...but cant...

But I did get a gold or two in level 7 races, so,yay?
:lol That's the one everyone is having problems with. Thank God I'm done with it, took me around 50 hours and probably around 1500 retry's.

Finally, I can post these.

2myum8n.jpg

xn6ixh.jpg

2ag50g4.jpg

20qfd07.jpg

2f0atzp.jpg

2lm46pt.jpg

2qbg22x.jpg

Great game.

Oliver.S

Yes, there are many moments, when the game reaches almost render quality. I just wish I could save my replays. The races are so furious and full of action, that I often don't know where to look first. :)

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Got it yesterday. The graphics are pretty impressive since the screenshots looked kind of bad.

I suck at the game though. I really like the trucks, that's probably my favorite vehicle although I havnt unlocked the monster trucks.

About midway through level 6 on the Festival and I'm getting kinda stuck.....no more new races, gotta go back and improve some medals on the earlier ones. I suck at the Speed races.....seems impossible to get a gold on those

BeeDog

CoLaN said:
i was going to buy it, but i'm reading a lot of reports about savedata corruption.

Does that bug happen often? Do you have to unlock all the veichles again?

I have never heard about it happening for this game.

EDIT: guess I was wrong.

Cesar

Banned
CoLaN said:
i was going to buy it, but i'm reading a lot of reports about savedata corruption.

Does that bug happen often? Do you have to unlock all the veichles again?

I had the Savegame bug. Al my progres in the festival mode is lost (only needed just a few gold ones). Thank god all the unlocked vehicles are still there and al my trophies aswell...still sucks though. I'm not doing festival mode again...

Goldrusher

CoLaN said:
That can happen with any game, but the problem with Pacific Rift is that you can't back-up your save file...

MikeE21286 said:
About midway through level 6 on the Festival and I'm getting kinda stuck.....no more new races, gotta go back and improve some medals on the earlier ones. I suck at the Speed races.....seems impossible to get a gold on those

Had several of those moments. You could also try unlocking time trials and eliminator races by keeping under the time or elimination limit of previous races.

PjotrStroganov said:
Had several of those moments. You could also try unlocking time trials and eliminator races by keeping under the time or elimination limit of previous races.

Yeah, I unlocked all of those so far. Just gonna have to find a way to get to level 7

bizatch

This game is amazing on my new 5.1 setup!
Been playing it online some, and I gotta say, its probably the most enjoyable experience ive had with my ps3 in a long time.
Any gaffers still playing this baby? Add me, my psn is zatch0.
cya online! :D

been playing it for some days:

great! it's indeed what motorstorm1 should have been.

-didn't like the monstertrucks in the beginning. too floaty
-don't like the speed events much.. don't put those in the festival.... just races.

i'm having a ball though, and i'd recommend this to everyone with a PS3.
- great sense of speed.
- like the new R2, L2 functionality
- graphics are good in motion

am i missing something or is there no option/ setting for brightness?

Melfice7

My copy finally arrived today and im having a blast with it, already had some OMG moments. Variety and track design are so awesome as many said before this is what Motorstorm should have been.

fun little new move with bikes the 'back+forward' already saved me from some crazy death traps :3

Ranger X

I played this game in splitcreen 2 days ago and WOW it was a blast!

I've been impressed by how smooth it was too and I simply couldn't see any apparent graphical downgrade. It's quite mind blowing.

This is one game where screenshots don't do the game justice. I think all the screenshots look bad, but the game looks simply amazing in motion and on your own tv.

carterd1981 said:
This is one game where screenshots don't do the game justice. I think all the screenshots look bad, but the game looks simply amazing in motion and on your own tv.

Ya I think everyone agrees but usually the ones who play the game tend to like the screens cause they know what the game looks like but others might be turned off by them and get a false image of the game.

Still though, I think the first two screens I posted look really good ^^:D

G-Bus

Banned
Finally hit Legend Rank online last week. Now to just get the Gold badge and 100%. Too much fun online. :D

Ranked Gold: 70
Ranked Silver: 58
Ranked Bronze: 41
Ranked win streak: 5
Ranked Games Played: 280

Post your stats! I'm curious how I stack up to gaffers.

Not very far in the Fesitval (maybe half) and have no real desire to complete it. I may tackle it for the trophies though.

WOW. I'm surprised about the hate for the speed events. I LOVE those. They're getting pretty damn hard but my god, it's so much fun. Once, while doing a a big rig speed event, I finally got gold after who knows how many times by boost exploding through the final checkpoint. I was so pissed (yeah, i still get pissed... but it's still satisfying) I "knew" I wasn't going to make it (again) so I just let my boost go boom. Made it by fragments of a second.

Top Bottom