• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm pretty disappointed with this myself. While flawed, I LOVED the original game. One of the most intense and enjoyable racers I've ever played.

The sequel, though, has a lot of work to do before I'm convinced that they've improved on it.

The track design isn't as interesting to me this time around. Sure, there are lots of paths to take, but it feels too open. I enjoyed the diverse selection of tracks from the original. They may have all shared a similar visual design, but they all FELT very different while racing. The narrow, obstacle filled canyons mixed with wide open bedrock made for some excellent racing. The sequel, based on the first four tracks, hasn't hit any of those notes yet. Hopefully the other tracks pick up the slack, but I'm getting concerned.

Then you have the visuals. On the macro level the tracks look great, but while racing, it just doesn't really impress as much as I had hoped. The more complex designs simply don't work well within this engine. Foliage near the player looks excellent, but all of the distant foliage is pretty ugly and flat. Of course, this doesn't apply to all tracks as the environments do vary heavily. Still, there are so many moments where I found myself thinking just how poor the lighting appeared.

Lastly, and most disappointingly, the MOTION SENSING IS GONE. I know, the majority did not enjoy it, but that was how I played most of the original. First person view + motion sensing = bliss. It was truly incredible. I would switch to 3rd person + sticks for bikes and ATVs but everything else was motion. I finished the game using this scheme so it obviously works. Instead they've seemingly added tilting in order to right yourself should you begin to tip. I'm hopnig that I've simply missed some obscure option somewhere and there really IS motion sensing included (anyone find it?), but right now, I'm really bummed out by the lack of it.

Really, though, it IS a solid racer but it lacks a lot of what made the original special. I wish they had understood just what it was that people loved about Motorstorm and focused on polishing that up.

jett

D-Member
cybropm said:
Online is SOO much better! Never had so much fun battling it out with people for 1st in any other racing game!:D

Can you create online tournaments up in this bitch?

BeeDog

dark10x said:
I'm pretty disappointed with this myself. While flawed, I LOVED the original game. One of the most intense and enjoyable racers I've ever played.

The sequel, though, has a lot of work to do before I'm convinced that they've improved on it.

The track design isn't as interesting to me this time around. Sure, there are lots of paths to take, but it feels too open. I enjoyed the diverse selection of tracks from the original. They may have all shared a similar visual design, but they all FELT very different while racing. The narrow, obstacle filled canyons mixed with wide open bedrock made for some excellent racing. The sequel, based on the first four tracks, hasn't hit any of those notes yet. Hopefully the other tracks pick up the slack, but I'm getting concerned.

Then you have the visuals. On the macro level the tracks look great, but while racing, it just doesn't really impress as much as I had hoped. The more complex designs simply don't work well within this engine. Foliage near the player looks excellent, but all of the distant foliage is pretty ugly and flat. Of course, this doesn't apply to all tracks as the environments do vary heavily. Still, there are so many moments where I found myself thinking just how poor the lighting appeared.

Lastly, and most disappointingly, the MOTION SENSING IS GONE. I know, the majority did not enjoy it, but that was how I played most of the original. First person view + motion sensing = bliss. It was truly incredible. I would switch to 3rd person + sticks for bikes and ATVs but everything else was motion. I finished the game using this scheme so it obviously works. Instead they've seemingly added tilting in order to right yourself should you begin to tip. I'm hopnig that I've simply missed some obscure option somewhere and there really IS motion sensing included (anyone find it?), but right now, I'm really bummed out by the lack of it.

Really, though, it IS a solid racer but it lacks a lot of what made the original special. I wish they had understood just what it was that people loved about Motorstorm and focused on polishing that up.

Uh, I don't think anyone really truly loved the motion sensing in the first game... other than you I guess. :p I already know I won't have the same gripes with the game that you have, so I'm good to go. :D CAN'T WAIT!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BeeDog said:
Uh, I don't think anyone really truly loved the motion sensing in the first game... other than you I guess. :p
I absolutely loved it. As he said - bonnet view + motion sensing in larger vehicles, it felt like playing some super-high end arcade machine, and it was very playable and enjoyable. I haven't been that impressed with an arcade racer since the Sega Rally arcade all those years ago. Motion controls only really didn't work with motorcycles and some other smaller vehicle, neither of which I liked to drive anyways.

I thought MS2 did have motion controls though. I really thought the demo had them...

Dante

OMG the track design is utterly brilliant. The cooling really adds a lot as I find myself scanning the tracks for puddles and lakes. Gonna upload some of my pics from photomode.

A couple things.

Photomode doesn't add any effects to your pics what you see is what you get.

Tons of extra's to unlock. Oh and the intro movie is pretty amazing in quality in HD.

I have mixed feelings so far on this game. Although I'm used to playing the 1080p 60 fps silky smoothness that is Wipeout HD. Too bad that Motorstorm 2 is 720p and less than 60 fps. Once I get over that, and learn the track designs, I'll probably have alot more fun.

Dante

Nothing like exploding past the finish line and just barely beating out the other guys for first place! :lol

Someone on Amazon posted a $10 off code. Worked for me. If you don't mind not getting it day 1. Got mine for $49.99 including tax and shipping. Go go go. I can't believe it's not even top 100 on Amazon yet.

calder

Played a couple of races, like it a lot so far. :D

I have zero luck on the fire tracks, but I aced both air tracks without trouble and do well on the water tracks. Online is kinda busted for me right now, I only tried a couple of times but gave up when it couldn't connect to the server (baseball on anyway, so I didn't really want to play more than maybe one race).

Go319

ok relative ps3 newbie, im interested in this game, played the original, liked the idea and look but i found it much, much too slow.

has the sense of speed been upped in this one?

Im a massive Excite Truck fan, will this appeal to me?

I want this! >:O

Between Valkyria Chronicles for $45 at Circuit City and this for $50 at Amazon, my December gaming purchases will make me happy in the pants.

Dante

Yea it even show you how to do the motion control in the layout while it's loading. I didn't actually check it though because I couldn't really get the hang of it in MS1.

SaitoH

dark10x said:

Motion control is an option.

I feel the exact opposite. I'm up to third tier and I feel Evolution has improved the game in every aspect, with emphasis on the track design. Only worry for me at this point is the rubberbanding. Hopefully it won't be as annoying by the end of the game as it was in the first Motorstorm.

iceatcs

If motion control off, and I think you can shake the controller back on the normal if your big vehicle on the sideway.
I did it in Eurogamer Expo.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I will say that there were a couple moment of randomness that really impressed. In particular, during one of the races, I was neck and neck with another smaller vehicle when, all of the sudden, one of the semi trucks comes smashing through some structure to the left and lands in front of us. The way it happened was so impressive (with pieces of wood flying everywhere, great physics on the truck, and awesome motion blur) that it almost felt like one of those scripted physics events from Half-Life 2 Episode 2. That's still something this series has that I've experienced in no other racer.

Versus said:
Have you checked the control options? Its controller layout 3 :)
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted (but had gone out for the evening). I had a feeling it was buried in there somewhere and I simply missed it. That, plus the fact that the manual making no mention of it triggered an early reaction. I'm glad it's there, though.

I'm sure I'll warm up to the game.

Damn this game is so intense!!!!!

They fixed all the major gripes I had with the original.

Also, the game has ranked matchmaking, party lobbies, etc :D :D :D

Lighting is JAW dropping. Holy crap.

Off to play more! :D ARCADE RACER OF THE GEN!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I just played through the first two levels of the ground, air and fire and the first level of the water one. There's a lot of diversity, but it's quite a bit different from the first game which is good because it adds variety. One thing that's immediately obvious is the lack of choke points which caused a lot of havok in the first game. Now the levels are much bigger with branching paths and shortcuts. I'm guessing the shortcuts are going to play a big part in the game as you progress through it and the difficulty picks up. I found my first shortcut in Cascade Falls.
If you go left at the beginning of the track, right after the second jump (not the first one w/the small creek) bust through those signs and yo'll knock a significant amount of time of your lap.)

Dante

Some pics at 50% their original size:

Again the game adds no post effects.

2urtf6g.jpg

15cit7b.jpg

w16yo9.jpg

mkzrk5.jpg

169or48.jpg

2ic4nly.jpg

I am really impressed by the visuals in MotorStorm 2.

The lighting, motion blur, everything is just absolutely incredible in certain instances.

The only thing you can really fault it for is slightly low rez textures (only noticeable when static) and sometimes slightly jaggy. Anyone saying this is a downgrade or doesnt look as good as MS1 is a loony.

I can also confirm that the demo track is one of the least impressive tracks in the game visually. I am astounded that they chose this track over any of the other ones I've played so far.

But jesus, this game really impresses in first person. Do not play it in any other perspective.

The track designs are GENIUS! You couldn't ask for tighter design here.

Ploid 3.0

Moar photos. Start the creative picture fest until I get my copy!

Also do it seem like gaf could set up a tournament in this game going by your experiences with the online mode? I have no idea how the online menu is in MS2. Nothing in previews or review videos.

ascii42

Private Hoffman said:
I can also confirm that the demo track is one of the least impressive tracks in the game visually. I am astounded that they chose this track over any of the other ones I've played so far.
The demo for the first one was the same way. I felt that Rain God Mesa was much less impressive than most of the other tracks.

Dante

Ploid 3.0 said:
Moar photos. Start the creative picture fest until I get my copy!

Also do it seem like gaf could set up a tournament in this game going by your experiences with the online mode? I have no idea how the online menu is in MS2. Nothing in previews or review videos.

I took a bunch more, I'll post em in a bit. I have to take a LBP break for a bit, but will be back on MS2 in an hour if anybody wants to race!

For people who are dissapointed with these one. Get off the crack your smoking. PR blows the hell of the 1st one to pieces. The 1st one most leves had the same level design, and it didnt not have alot of stuff around the screen, it was boring and the levels felt empty. This one feels like what gametrailers said on the review, "this one should of been the lauch title."

Ploid 3.0

Surfheart said:
Game looks great, but what the... at those trees.

http://i38.tinypic.com/mkzrk5.jpg[/QUOTE]

Smart priorities? Trees far up, and out of the way is less important than trees close up and in your radiator?

I was kind of on the fence about getting this game so early (was planning on waiting), but I am so glad I picked this up. It is eating into my LBP playtime.

I really think it is a large leap ahead of the first one in every single category. The gameplay is just as intense as ever, but it never feels as frustrating as the original MotorStorm. The game gives you a bit more leeway when bumping into tiny objects so it doesn't feel as though running into every single thing spells instant doom. The cars are a bit more grounded and don't flip over as much.

The lighting....there are no words. I think this game impresses me just as much as Uncharted does, and is only outclassed by Killzone 2.

Oh, and there's MUD, people! Lots of it, too. I know some were worried about that.

I think I've played close to all of the tracks right now, and there is only one track that is arguably uglier than the demo track. Everything else looks pretty incredible.

The lighting really makes all the difference in the world for this game. I disagree greatly with dark10x regarding this.

Concept17

Private Hoffman said:
I was kind of on the fence about getting this game so early (was planning on waiting), but I am so glad I picked this up. It is eating into my LBP playtime.

I really think it is a large leap ahead of the first one in every single category. The gameplay is just as intense as ever, but it never feels as frustrating as the original MotorStorm. The game gives you a bit more leeway when bumping into tiny objects so it doesn't feel as though running into every single thing spells instant doom. The cars are a bit more grounded and don't flip over as much.

The lighting....there are no words. I think this game impresses me just as much as Uncharted does, and is only outclassed by Killzone 2.

Oh, and there's MUD, people! Lots of it, too. I know some were worried about that.

I think I've played close to all of the tracks right now, and there is only one track that is arguably uglier than the demo track. Everything else looks pretty incredible.

The lighting really makes all the difference in the world for this game. I disagree greatly with dark10x regarding this.

I agree with everything you said here. Some of the tracks are downright gorgeous. The biggest improvement over the first game being the use of color. This game is bright and vibrant and beautiful and actually has some variety to its presentation.

This game is absolutely amazing. Far superior to the first in every way.

Gibb

Just saw this in the MediaMarkt store in Brussels:

A Motorstorm Pacific Rift PS3 bundle (80GB, DS3, MS2)

The game itself is scheduled for tomorrow and was not available seperately =(

rainking187 said:
Just got an email from Amazon saying my new estimated delivery date is November 5th. :(

That's going to piss off a lot of people who bought it from Amazon because of their $10 off coupon...including myself!

Top Bottom