• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just did The Rift in different settings. The visuals really ramp up once you play more tracks. Such an intense game. Played over an hour and loved every moment. The mud is as good and the water is damn good.

More pictures. Love this game.

2993944346_caf9bbd1b9_o.jpg

2993944480_47e4d83ab5_o.jpg

2993099895_e1663e300a_o.jpg

Zophar

I'm really loving it too. This one is head and shoulders above the original in every way possible. Slick presentation, tons of features, plenty of variety in tracks/game modes, it's basically the game MS1 was meant to be. Plus it's fucking gorgeous.

Did they say there was going to be some way to play the old tracks in the sequel? I might just unload my copy of the first game if that's the case.

GodofWine

I just spent the last 4 hours of my life playing ranked online races....

This game is fucking awesome....Its simply fucking awesome..they should have Chase Utley do a commercial for it, and just say 'This game is FUCKING awesome" (youtube Chase Utley if confused).:lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Grabbed the demo when it hit the store and gave it a shot, couldnt stand the car handling at all.

Tried it again today with the bike and oh my, so much fucking fun. I still hate the car's handling but the bike was awesome.

I had no intention of picking it up, but i feel like i need to add it to my list of games to get.

Seems it comes out in AUS 1 day before wrath, thats not good :lol .

Also how are you guys taking pictures and is it possible in the demo?

EktorPR

evlcookie said:
Grabbed the demo when it hit the store and gave it a shot, couldnt stand the car handling at all.

Tried it again today with the bike and oh my, so much fucking fun. I still hate the car's handling but the bike was awesome.

I had no intention of picking it up, but i feel like i need to add it to my list of games to get.

Seems it comes out in AUS 1 day before wrath, thats not good :lol .

Also how are you guys taking pictures and is it possible in the demo?

It features an in-game photo tool, and it's only accessible in the final "retail" version.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
EktorPR said:
It features an in-game photo tool, and it's only accessible in the final "retail" version.

Damn, Now another reason to pick it up. Christ this gaming period is going to send us all broke.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, my first impressions were way off on this. The game is absolute blast. Quite possibly one of the best racers I've ever played. A buddy and I spent the better part of Saturday afternoon busting through the game and it was just non-stop fun.

BeeDog

dark10x said:
Man, my first impressions were way off on this. The game is absolute blast. Quite possibly one of the best racers I've ever played. A buddy and I spent the better part of Saturday afternoon busting through the game and it was just non-stop fun.

:lol What a turnaround.

Dante

dark10x said:

:D It
really is a fukkin great game!

Elios83

Sigh I have to wait until November 5.
Anyway, is there a mandatory install? At which point in the game the difficulty becomes the same of the demo?

antiloop

A reviewer in Swedish Aftonbladet (big newspaper in Sweden) gave the game 3/5. The reviewer didn't think it offered anything over games like Pure and Sega Rally. He also found the graphics to be unimpressive compared to other games in the genre.

He also talked about how the game is an improvement over the first one in nearly all areas.
But according to him it's not enough, the competition is too good this year.

eh. :p

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Rented it this weekend and just played for about 1.5 hours. WOW! After I played the demo, I went out and bought Pure thinking it would be the superior game. And while Pure has some SSX-esque qualities, MS:pR is just fucking A-Class all the way! I went online and was blown away by the wonderful lag-free, nailbiting racing excitement. Unlike the first Motorstorm, there aren't any long portions of the tracks that are boring thus providing an edge-of-your-seat intensity from start to finish.

Damn. I wasn't planning on buying this one. Looks like I am going to have to rethink my purchases again.

Greg

I click on this topic every time someone posts in it and my excitement keeps growing.

I think it's time for me to get over the burn I felt from purchasing the original at launch and pick this up.

GodofWine

Elios83 said:
Sigh I have to wait until November 5.
Anyway, is there a mandatory install? At which point in the game the difficulty becomes the same of the demo?

No install at all ( I was surprised)...

Difficulty of the demo is pretty much right at the beginning of the game as far as I can tell.

This should be the racing game of the year...does that award exist anywhere? Any reviewer who could sit and play this, and honestly be like, 'meh its just OK'...doesn't enjoy having fun.

I like how occasionally in the ranked servers how it makes everyone use a big rig...a riot.

Ploid 3.0

I knew from the moment I played the Pure demo, and I learned there was no fighting, physical contact roughness, and only one type of vehicle that I would be better off waiting for motorstorm 2. I loved SSX games, but the tricks in the Pure demo felt a bit more rigid and less natural to pull off. I had 0 interest in Pure after finding out it plays nothing like Motorstorm. I still don't get the comparisons, outside of racer + offroad + arcade.

Dever

Banned
BeeDog said:
:lol What a turnaround.

Same thing happened to me, I loathed the demo first time I played it. After playing it a few more times I'm sad because I don't think I can afford to buy this awesome game right now. :/

Ranger X

I'm glad people are starting to notice that Motorstorm2 easily wins the "arcade-offroad" category (and by far). I've played nothing like this ever. It's pure adrenaline pumping fun. You really feel the game here and feel sorry for the linear gameplay of Pure's canned moves of unfun.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog, you got it yet?

Sin

antiloop said:
A reviewer in Swedish Aftonbladet (big newspaper in Sweden) gave the game 3/5. The reviewer didn't think it offered anything over games like Pure and Sega Rally. He also found the graphics to be unimpressive compared to other games in the genre.

He also talked about how the game is an improvement over the first one in nearly all areas.
But according to him it's not enough, the competition is too good this year.

eh. :p

Guy doesn't know what he is saying. :lol

Ploid 3.0

Ranger X said:
I'm glad people are starting to notice that Motorstorm2 easily wins the "arcade-offroad" category (and by far). I've played nothing like this ever. It's pure adrenaline pumping fun. You really feel the game here and feel sorry for the linear gameplay of Pure's canned moves of unfun.

Exactly, I never played anything as tense or chaotic as motorstorm. It's like a survival horror, action, strategic, fast paced class based racer. I love the physical nature of it and how everything just works. The main problem with MS1 was the load times for me. I tolerated it to the point where I didn't care, but it wasn't good if I wanted to just get in some quick races so I didn't play it as much as I'd like.

"Racing is a contact sport" - Lunatic

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
played all day yesterday

Clearly the best racing game of the year

seriously, on and offline the game is straight fun, you still have to learn the tracks and get a feel of each vehicle. but once you do, i cant think of any racing game more exciting since Burnout Takedown.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
No, I hope Play.com will send it any coming day now. Didn't you also order from there?
I ordered it from VG+ :/

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I can't pick this up for another month or so, but I'm definitely grabbing it. What's up with the quiet release though? I didn't even know it was out until just a few days ago? How long has it been out, and how does it appear to be doing?

calder

Loving the game more and more. About 3 races in it just clicks, now I'm almost always challenging for hte gold except for a few courses I struggle on.

Exceptionally cool tracks, with all the variety there is inevitably a few that don't play well for my preferred racing style (a couple of Fire tracks especially really challenge me) but there are already a handful of tracks I absolutely love racing, and I haven't even figured out all the routes on them still!

The one track with all the lava tunnels at dusk is just too hard to see on my setup though, so many pitch black sections and the hazy sunset light makes coming out of the small jungle section a flip-a-coin proposition; half the time I seem to crash into another vehicle or wreck on a rock I can't quite see.

Man, I don't think I've ever had such a strong love/hate attitude towards a game as much as this one. On one hand, I love the presentation and the feeling of an overwhelming, balls-to-the-wall sense of speed and chaos that the game exhibits so well. On the other hand, I hate the cheap AI, some aspects of the physics, and the many of my crashes/spills have been questionable. For instance, I probably spent a good 45 minutes attempting to get 1st on a race in single-player. The track was The Edge, and there were a total of three or so wrecks that occurred simply because I hit flat ground with no obstructions. Not to mention that on one attempt I was in first and rounding the corner to the finish line. The buggy I was driving decides that it didn't like that extremely small dip in the terrain while I was turning, and I flip and end up losing the race. I'd say that the term "irate" is quite an understatement to how I reacted to that one.

Nevertheless, it is an awesome game, no denying that.

btkadams

hmm... ive played this game more now and absolutely love it. my complaints about the track designs and controls are completely gone. really, the controls just take a getting used to (doesnt take long at all). and the tracks are really great especially now that ive played them all a few times. great game! cant wait for my friends to buy it so we can play online together.

slider

BeeDog said:
No, I hope Play.com will send it any coming day now. Didn't you also order from there?

I ordered from Play too. Tracking orders on their site is crap. Sigh.

I'm going back to importing. Screw waiting for PS3 games.

But on the upside, I'm quietly hopeful both MS2 and LBP will turn up this week. Awesome.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I haven't played enough PS3 games over the past couple years to really understand why there is so much hate for the L2/R2 triggers.

This game made me a believer. Oh god they are awful... why no way to use X for accelerate when adopting motion controls??

Neo_ZX

Rubberband AI or convenient 'unpredictable' events = no sale for me.

I thought the first one was a blast until the AI decided you weren't going to win. This is definetly a wait and see for me.

spwolf

Neo_ZX said:

I thought the first one was a blast until the AI decided you weren't going to win. This is definetly a wait and see for me.

lol... did you even read the impressions/reviews of MS2? :lol

calder

I nailed my last race and won by almost 30 seconds, by the end of the first lap I couldn't see or hear any other racers and didn't even hear a peep behind me the rest of the way... rubberband wut.

Sidzed2

spwolf said:
lol... did you even read the impressions/reviews of MS2? :lol

Are you saying that the awful rubber-banding is or is not present in MS2?

I can't recall many reviews mentioning either way. Care to fill me in?

Neo_ZX said:

What? oO

Have you even played the first Motorstorm?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sidzed2 said:
Are you saying that the awful rubber-banding is or is not present in MS2?

I can't recall many reviews mentioning either way. Care to fill me in?
There is some slight rubberbanding in that they allow you to catch up a bit. There is no rubberbanding when you're in the lead...it'll stay that way unless you foul up.

Ploid 3.0

Reviewers don't mention a lot of things. Most reviewers just seem to play a little bit and give a passable review then get paid. It's best to get reviews from actual players sometimes (to me, always). See what people have problems with, how the game plays, and if it's worth buying.

Ruprit

If it wasn't for Gamefly I wouldn't have given this game a second thought after playing the demo. This is easily the best racing game of the year, the level design is stunning. On their own its as if the all the levels have a sense of presence and emotion. The stage that is built out of volcanic tunnels is almost terrifying in first person when driving the smaller vechiles.

I'm always up for some online play, PSN ID - Ruprit.

Everyone that hated the demo needs to give the full game a rent at least.

Sidzed2

I only dislike rubberbanding when it is so bad that it undermines your racing prowess.

I hate it when I race a perfect three laps only to be thrust into last place on the final turn.

Ploid 3.0

Yea I did too. MS1 is very guilty for that. It was very hard to get gold on everything when those buggers could show up out of nowhere while you did everything flawlessly.

Top Bottom