• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mountain |OT| you are , you are god.

How much of a shame is it that I'm really interested in trying this, but after the Steam sale, I don't feel like I can justify spending a single additional dollar on games?

Convince me, GAF.

Avallon

You made a picture appear on Twitter.
How did you make a picture appear on Twitter?

EDIT: I figured it out.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
What is this supposed to be? You stare at a mountain? I mean, the whole "no controls" thing makes me question what this game's purpose is.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What is this supposed to be? You stare at a mountain? I mean, the whole "no controls" thing makes me question what this game's purpose is.

You watch your mountain and stuff happens.

Downloading the iOS version right now. 🌄✨

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I have mine going on the side as we speak, an interesting little toy. Though don't listen to what the page tells you
there are controls

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Will watching the trailer give you the full experience of the game?

Nope. I checked out the hashtag and people are reporting random occurrences on their mountain. MAJOR SPOILER:
someone said after an hour a barrel grew out of their mountain.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I guess a giant light bulb just hit my mountain. Cool.💡

Be sure to manually save often, the app doesn't remain suspended for very long.

GeoGonzo

My mountain may or may not have just spoken to me.

It was a deep message but it made me think that this isn't my mountain after all... It belongs to its real creator, David Oreilly. It all makes a bit more sense, now.

lancerotomy

Neo Member
I skipped over the thread title earlier but just realized that this was the David O Reilly game!
I'm so in, he's one of my favorite artists.

popyea

David O'Rielly, aside from being an excellent animator/artist, also made the game segments in Her. This feels like it might be in a similar vein.

once your mountain is "up and running" you don't get to control it, but you answer some questions / make some drawings that serve as the "seed" for your mountain.

Coreda

Nice music, if it's from the OST. Not very interesting growth or detail on the mountain though. Would have expected something more like water, caves, and animals when closer up, especially as it's meant to be viewed only.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
OP should edit to include genre: Relax 'Em Up

I saw a developer recently describe their game as an "idle game". I thought that was pretty apt. It was a farming game on Newgrounds where you could do things to speed progress, but things still slowly progressed on their own anyway. I like that sort of thing. I could go for a "ProgressQuest" mode in many games.

Boem

I bought this because it's just 76 (euro)cents, and because Double Fine is publishing it. It's a relaxing thing to have running in a little window while you're doing some work.
I figured out that letter keys emit little sounds, and pressing one key over and over again makes your mountain spin faster and makes time speed up. I let it run for the last two days while I was working, and a ton of crap has crashed into my mountain - planes, bananas, skulls, discoballs, etc. You can also zoom out by scrolling with your mouse. Zooming out as far as possible is pretty cool.

Not a game in the strictest sense of the word, but an interesting experiment for those willing to spend a little bit of money.

I have the iOS version now and is it just my imagination or is it making the iPhone run hot? Never seen that before in my phone.

Anyway I can see it being a distraction while you work on something else - so far only a heart has crashed into my mountain.

The scenery when you zoom all the way out is neat.

Is there music at any point or just ambience?

besada

Banned
I love the piano. It's tuned so pretty much any key sequence your press sounds good. A row of bass keys and treble keys. I'm still trying to decide if playing makes changes to time or the environment in some way, but it's hard to tell. My fireflies appeared just after I was playing, but that may be
coincidence.

GeoGonzo

I love the piano. It's tuned so pretty much any key sequence your press sounds good. A row of bass keys and treble keys. I'm still trying to decide if playing makes changes to time or the environment in some way, but it's hard to tell. My fireflies appeared just after I was playing, but that may be
coincidence.

Agreed, I've been fooling around with the piano a lot.

I'm certain it does speed up time, at least visually since you can get through the four seasons in a minute. Also, playing the 4 notes closest to the right in a counter clockwise motion (starting from the second to last in the bottom row) triggers a mountain message.

Is.. is that an emoji on a gaf thread title? What kind of sorcery is this

SOUL TRASHING BLACK SORCERY

corn_fest

Kinda wishing that I picked this up on Mac so I could leave it running on a second monitor Zen-style. This absolutely trashes an iPhone CPU.

It's definitely a neat little thing.
Still not sure if the music notes do anything besides speed up time (I'm guessing not).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I played it on pc for a bit last night.
I restarted the executable about 20 times to see all the differnt flavor texts and then observed for a while until I figured out what scrolling does. Seems like a much better tablet experience than a pc experience. Not sure what its all about, read a bit of the RPS write up which seemed to imply you want to leave it running? IDK. Cool game though.

Top Bottom