• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MTV Cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Well, I got Spiderman: The Animated Chronicles on DVD as well as Undergrads, and I think they are both top notch shows.

I was wondering what are some other cool MTV cartoons on DVD?

Willco

Hollywood Square
Undergrads is the most underrated cartoon ever made. Even moreso than Clerks: The Animated Series.

Why the hell did MTV cancel undergrads and clone high, and force me to watch, not just talentless ass clown Jessica Simpson, but her less talented ass clown sister? Why do I have to watch another reality show about frat boys and dumb chicks in a semi ridiculus situation thats not very entertaining? WHY?

Kefkaff

Banned
Undergrads is out on DVD eh? Are there any special features like commentaries and such, or is it just barebones? :-\

Penguin

Kefkaff said:
Undergrads is out on DVD eh? Are there any special features like commentaries and such, or is it just barebones? :-\

I don't really remember, but come one 25 bucks for 13 episodes is a pretty sweet deal, I think it has an interview with the creator. Some character bios and maybe a behind the scene look.

My friend has had my copy since April, hopefully I get back when we go to school.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...1/002-8033247-7653669?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Nice, but the box art is horrible.

I really liked Downtown, I'm surprised that made it two seasons.

Undergrads is awesome. Clone High is awesome.

Desperado said:
speaking of mtv...whatever happened to Undressed? lol.

Oh god this show was a guilty pleasure of mine.

I also liked Downtown, the couple of shows I managed to catch. How did it end up?

And if you're speaking of MTV cartoons, someone needs to get off their ass and offer a Best of Liquid Television, and The Maxx while they're at it.

You people are all insane. Almost all the shows you guys mentioned were simply atrocious. Especially Spider Man (the animation is a joke) and Undergrads (when it's on Comedy Central, I literally run to the TV to shut it off despite having a remote).

After Aeon Flux the series (which was decent but still pretty blah compared to the shorts), MTV Animation died in my eyes (well key folks responsible for getting Liquid Television and Beavis & Butthead on the air did leave), and ask any animator who was working in the industry at that point (mid to late 90's) will say the same exact thing.

LakeEarth

FortNinety said:
You people are all insane. Almost all the shows you guys mentioned were simply atrocious. Especially Spider Man (the animation is a joke) and Undergrads (when it's on Comedy Central, I literally run to the TV to shut it off despite having a remote).

After Aeon Flux the series (which was decent but still pretty blah compared to the shorts), MTV Animation died in my eyes (well key folks responsible for getting Liquid Television and Beavis & Butthead on the air did leave), and ask any animator who was working in the industry at that point (mid to late 90's) will say the same exact thing.

This man has NOT seen Clone High.

way more

The Maxx
nn020706.jpg

And I think it's about damn time someone made an appreciation tread for him.

effzee

wtf was that show about anyway? im talking about the maxx.

i was a wee lil boy when it came on tv but since it was a cartoon i tried to watch and i didnt get it at all.

LakeEarth said:
Then you have no humor.

Whatever. You can keep your Clone High, and your Family Guy (I know its not an MTV show, but I know it appeals to the same crowd, more or less), and all the other shows that people think are "comedic genius" these days.

Undergrads was pretty good- but each episode imo is watchable only once.

Wasn't a fan of 3 south.

Never even heard of Clone High.

Daria is GOD.

I seem to remember liking (the first season of) Oddities: The Head.

That is all.

Mister Zimbu said:
Undergrads was pretty good- but each episode imo is watchable only once.

Wasn't a fan of 3 south.

Never even heard of Clone High.

Daria is GOD.

I seem to remember liking (the first season of) Oddities: The Head.

That is all.

Daria was pretty decent. The Head was erribly underrated. The Maxx was pure gold. Beavis & Butthead was actually pretty damn good show as well. Aeon Flux, as I said before was not as good as the shorts, but it was different and a few episodes really did shine. Liquid Television is still in my top ten of favorite shows of all time period.

robox

ugh... took way too many posts into this thread before the first mention of daria. that is one of the best shows in recent times.

neptunes

andy.gif
kevin.gif
jim.gif

did anyone here like mission hill? I really loved it, many people I know thought of it as strange but it's really good.

miyuru

Yeah Mission Hill was all right too.

I just don't understand how someone doesn't like Clone High/Family Guy.

effzee said:
wtf was that show about anyway? im talking about the maxx.

i was a wee lil boy when it came on tv but since it was a cartoon i tried to watch and i didnt get it at all.

I believe when it was all said and done, it was about bunnies.

neptunes said:
did anyone here like mission hill? I really loved it, many people I know thought of it as strange but it's really good.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it a lot as well. Glad to see it on Adult Swim; didn't it last only two weeks on the WB?

[QUOTE=miyuru]I just don't understand how someone doesn't like Clone High/Family Guy.[/QUOTE]

Well I haven't seen Clone High in a while so I can't comment to much on the specifics, but as for Family Guy, I end up seeing it a lot since its also on Adult Swim.

Basically, the show tries way too hard. It throws so much shit at the viewer that it has no sense of pacing or depth. Constantly cutting away to stupid (and often out dated topical) gags just annoys the shit out of me. Also, I know its a cartoon, but I would like to know why the baby and the dog both talk and are easily understood without any regard to logic. If they at least made an attempt I would be happy, but they don't and that's just plain lazy.

BTW, I also hated Tiny Toons back in the day. I might have been 11, but the out of place adult related jokes about Cher and such was just an obvious and very weak attempt at the WB animators to be like Termite Terrace and just came off really bad.

andthebeatgoeson

About the only one is saw in the past 10 years:
index_daria.gif

It's was a good show. I didn't follow it but I never did for any MTV show.

Damn, google came up with the mtv site on just a search for 'daria'. Damn, they are good. I guess there's no other popular daria's on the interweb.

maharg

idspispopd
FortNinety said:
BTW, I also hated Tiny Toons back in the day. I might have been 11, but the out of place adult related jokes about Cher and such was just an obvious and very weak attempt at the WB animators to be like Termite Terrace and just came off really bad.

Erm, I've never heard of Termite Terrace, but google searches seem to place it as something involving Warner Brothers itself (and that's about all I can find about it), so I dunno if this is as bad a thing as you seem to think.

Oh I see, they're the animation team that did the original cartoons? How could copying that be bad, considering that's what the show ... is.

Have you seen the newer show with Bugs and co. as babies? I'm sure if you saw it you'd think Tiny Toons was genious by comparison ;)

Shinobi

FortNinety said:
You people are all insane. Almost all the shows you guys mentioned were simply atrocious. Especially Spider Man (the animation is a joke)

The animation wasn't atrocious you knob. Being 3D based, it was quite smooth and rather flexible. I could see people knocking the art style itself though, but that never bothered me. But the animation was fine, particularly when Spidey was in a fight scene. Regular 2D animation would never be able to capture those fights as well.

And hatin' on Tiny Toons is just criminal. Then again I haven't seen an episode in almost five years.

LakeEarth

neptunes said:
andy.gif
kevin.gif
jim.gif

did anyone here like mission hill? I really loved it, many people I know thought of it as strange but it's really good.

(goes to clean the house) ... moan... why bother?
(goes to the bathroom) ... moan... why bother?

Blinky

Daria is probably one of my favorite shows ever, I still watch it whenever it comes on that Nick spin-off channel...or whatever that thing it. I think it's Noggin...

I hated 3 South.

Spider-Man was horrible, if you want a real Spider-Man show watch the old Fox cartoon.

Clone High was awesome, although I only saw a few episodes, the one with Marilyn Manson is the only one I can recall.

I watched about 8 seconds of Downtown.

And I don't know what Undergrads is, chances are I've seen it.

Also, what's the show they showed a long time ago when they played Aeon Flux...about some kid with Aliens in his head...anyone know what that is?

Also, where's the love for Celebrity Deathmatch?

Shinobi said:
The animation wasn't atrocious you knob. Being 3D based, it was quite smooth and rather flexible. I could see people knocking the art style itself though, but that never bothered me. But the animation was fine, particularly when Spidey was in a fight scene. Regular 2D animation would never be able to capture those fights as well.

And hatin' on Tiny Toons is just criminal. Then again I haven't seen an episode in almost five years.

Regular 2D animation would never be able to capture those fights as well? Show what you know. Hey I love 3D animation, more so than all my animation buddies who are all die hard traditionalist, but the Spider Man 3D animation was LAZY 3D animation. It's so bad I can't even pin point just one single aspect it, it's just sucks 100%, across the board, from the movement, to the esthetics, and everything in between.

maharg said:
Erm, I've never heard of Termite Terrace, but google searches seem to place it as something involving Warner Brothers itself (and that's about all I can find about it), so I dunno if this is as bad a thing as you seem to think.

Oh I see, they're the animation team that did the original cartoons? How could copying that be bad, considering that's what the show ... is.

Have you seen the newer show with Bugs and co. as babies? I'm sure if you saw it you'd think Tiny Toons was genious by comparison ;)

Termite Terrace was the group that did the original shorts, which were showed before movies back in the day. They often made references in the shorts to the big time celebs who were in the (usually Warner Bros) movies. and even had them make guest appearances. So it made sense that Bogart might appear in the short since he might be seen in the following film. It was also designed to somewhat appeal to the adults in the audience, plus since the studio itself was on Warner's movie lot, they actually had exposure to the stars, who often stopped by to see a cartoon get made. It was a very personal thing.

Meanwhile, flash forward to 1990, Spielberg, who so desperately wanted to be regarded as the next Disney when it came to feature animation also wanted to be known as the guy who has the same "spirit" as the old WB shorts, so he has this crew create a stupid cartoon that had "kiddie" version of the characters do slap stick humor, yet throw in totally irrelevant references to present day celebs for no good reason, other than to copy cat what was done before. Granted, I got all the adult themed jokes since I was a kids who watched too much TV, but they were primarily aimed at an audience that they knew there wasn't much of, but did it anyway so television critics (which we all know are idiots) could heap praise.

As for the new show with Bugs and the rest as babies, I don't hate that show since it's obviously aimed at little kids, thought that doesn't mean I like it per say.

I blame Muppet Babies, since that was such a success everyone made to have their own version (a Pup Named Scooby Doo anyone?) thought Muppet Babies was actually an excellent show.

Blinky said:
Also, what's the show they showed a long time ago when they played Aeon Flux...about some kid with Aliens in his head...anyone know what that is?

Also, where's the love for Celebrity Deathmatch?

Question one: that was the Head. It was an awesome show.

Question two: it was a decent show, though near the end, it ran out of steam.

Not many people know this, but they were making a Celebrity Deathmatch movie for a long while. I actually got a chance to see a bit of it and it wasn't bad. And if I'm not mistaken, it was practically finished, but Viacom pulled the plug. One person told me that if the game had done well, Viacom might have reconsidered releasing the film on video, but the game bombed didn't it? Or did it even come out?

Shinobi

Blinky said:
Spider-Man was horrible, if you want a real Spider-Man show watch the old Fox cartoon.

I would if it was put on DVD already...though some people have said the show doesn't hold up well at all.

FortNinety said:
Regular 2D animation would never be able to capture those fights as well? Show what you know. Hey I love 3D animation, more so than all my animation buddies who are all die hard traditionalist, but the Spider Man 3D animation was LAZY 3D animation. It's so bad I can't even pin point just one single aspect it, it's just sucks 100%, across the board, from the movement, to the esthetics, and everything in between.

I'm fine with both 2D and 3D myself. The animation looked fine to me. Lazy animation is what I'd call the shit seen in the DKC cartoon. The animation in Spider-Man did the job, and didn't irritate me at all. I certainly fail to see how it's lazy. I could see that being said for the art style though.

And you're still continuing with your Tiny Toons hate? Nothing wrong with a cartoon that appeals to everyone, instead of just a bunch of drooling 3 year old twats in diapers. But at least you liked Muppet Babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom