• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mud Trailer - Next Film From Take Shelter Director (w / Matthew McConaughey)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trailer

Director: Jeff Nichols (Shotgun Stories, Take Shelter)

Cast: Matthew McConaughey, Tye Sheridan, Jacob Lofland, Reese Witherspoon, Sam Shepard

Two boys, Ellis and his friend Neckbone, who find a man named Mud hiding out on an island in the Mississippi. Mud describes fantastic scenarios -- he killed a man in Texas and vengeful bounty hunters are coming to get him. He says he is planning to meet and escape with the love of his life, Juniper, who is waiting for him in town. Skeptical but intrigued, Ellis and Neckbone agree to help him. It isn’t long until Mud’s visions come true and their small town is besieged by a beautiful girl with a line of bounty hunters in tow.

Mud hits theaters April 26th.

Cosmonaut

The premise aint that interesting, but Take Shelter was a pleasant surprise and McConaughey seems to have done a good job in this one.

Thanks for the heads up.

gdt

Sounds great, and kinda similar to Take Shelter.

I loved that movie, so I'm there for this one.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Loved Take Shelter, this looks great as well.

Matthew McConaughey made his money off those shitty chick flicks and is doing what he wants now. So glad too because he's good. Really good.

Snake

Goddamn Matthew McConaughey is on a roll.

edit:
Matthew mcconaghey on a roll. Did he just start giving a shit all of a sudden?
I'm all in. Matthew Mcconaughey is on a fucking roll!

iOUMPWlazGmA.gif

Anyone else see this today?

I liked it a lot. Not nearly as much as Take Shelter, but it was still excellent. It's a cool little coming-of-age story.

Jeff Nichols is a great filmmaker.

Rootbeer

Banned
I saw it... about 2/3 sold out theater in 4K... was a great showing, everyone loved it. laughed at all the right moments, etc. when you're doing a story of this nature, especially with young actors, it takes a lot of skill on all sides to pull it off and not come off as corny... this is one of those films that really delivers.

Easily ranks up there amongst Sling Blade which I'd liken it to. IMO this is a better film than Take Shelter as well which is about the highest compliment I can think to give it.

As someone born and raised in missouri, the films of Jeff Nichols, himself noting Mark Twain as a great influence, resonate with me more with each installation. Goddamn I hope this guy never changes.

Go see this. It is so very good... you won't regret it. Maybe you'll go for the McConaughey, and you won't be disappointed there, but the young actors steal the show in a big way.

I will say, I spent about two-thirds of the movie trying to figure out what the point of it was.

Once you realize that it's
entirely about Ellis' need to participate in a romantic fantasy because of his inability to understand love
, it clicks. And it's great.

Rootbeer

Banned
I enjoyed it, but I thought the ending was a huge cop-out.

If you mean the very final scene they could have easily left that off and it wouldn't have hurt anything. Seems like the sort of sequence the director probably thought a lot about including or leaving off, because either way could work and give the film a different feel.

If you mean the very final scene they could have easily left that off and it wouldn't have hurt anything. Seems like the sort of sequence the director probably thought a lot about including or leaving off, because either way could work and give the film a different feel.

Yeah, just the final scene.

Rootbeer

Banned
Nobody else got to see it this weekend? Awfully quiet for such an anticipated film. It's showing in a handful of theaters here so I was assuming it wasn't that limited.

C4Lukins

Saw it earlier today. Really enjoyed it. Very strange pacing but it fits the film. It almost feels like a classic American novel in film form if that makes any sense. A ton of interesting themes running through it, and the child actors both do a fantastic job. There is a sequence in the film that feels a little out of place, you will know it when you see it, but it does not really distract from the experience for me. The theatre was almost full on a Sunday so maybe it will have some legs.

Rootbeer

Banned
There is a sequence in the film that feels a little out of place, you will know it when you see it, but it does not really distract from the experience for me.
Not sure what you are talking about. I sat here and thought about it for a minute and nothing comes to mind. If you mean the climax then I don't agree, it felt earned. It felt cohesive to me overall.

The theatre was almost full on a Sunday so maybe it will have some legs.
I just got out of a Sunday screening in Plano, TX: theater was relatively full, mostly with middle-aged parents and elderly couples comprising the population. At least no one was overly obnoxious. The fact that we were all right next to the Iron Man 3 theatre must say a lot about what the cinema managers think of Mud.

Not sure what you are talking about. I sat here and thought about it for a minute and nothing comes to mind. If you mean the climax then I don't agree, it felt earned. It felt cohesive to me overall.
He's talking about how Mud
lives and sails off with Tom
, which goes against the fairy-tale ambiguity of his fate that's established right in his first shot. I don't like it either. Mud's both a human being and a force of nature, cropping up like liquified earth spurting from seismic waves. I think Nichols got lazy with the second half in general.

Downhome

I saw this tonight, and it was amazing. I'd go as far to call it a new modern classic for a new generation along the same way that Stand By Me ended up being back years ago. This is the role that was made for MM (both literally and figuratively) ad he may never have a role greater than this in his career, it was that well done by him. I really can't say enough good things about this one. I may go into more details when I'm not typing on my phone.

C4Lukins

I just got out of a Sunday screening in Plano, TX: theater was relatively full, mostly with middle-aged parents and elderly couples comprising the population. At least no one was overly obnoxious. The fact that we were all right next to the Iron Man 3 theatre must say a lot about what the cinema managers think of Mud.

He's talking about how Mud
lives and sails off with Tom
, which goes against the fairy-tale ambiguity of his fate that's established right in his first shot. I don't like it either. Mud's both a human being and a force of nature, cropping up like liquified earth spurting from seismic waves. I think Nichols got lazy with the second half in general.

Actually I was talking about an earlier scene, but again I did not have a problem with it. Just like Take Shelter it is all very understated and then the film has a moment that lets you know the director has a fun streak in him.

Just got back from seeing this. There were 3 people in the theater, but I wasn't expecting much. Good film, though I'm unsure on the ending. The film reminded me of parts of my childhood exploring the Mohawk river and its islands.

Rootbeer

Banned
Actually I was talking about an earlier scene, but again I did not have a problem with it. Just like Take Shelter it is all very understated and then the film has a moment that lets you know the director has a fun streak in him.

Continuing to be vague I see :p I'm just curious what sequence you mean... this isn't lending very well to discussion.

Grisby

Just saw this today. Went in knowing nothing about it and man, what a good film. Been a while since I've seen a 'indie' movie so to speak in the theater.

The two boys were really good and so was McConaughey. Hell, everyone felt like they were perfectly cast. I wish they would have ended it on
the boy walking away and leaving the ending a bit more ambiguous. Still the end shot of the water kind of paralleled the opening with the boys going to the island.

A good, simple story that was very well paced.

This was an excellent coming of age story, one of the best (reminds of Stand By Me and Summer of '42). How was this not a huge hit? I hadn't heard of it before it showed up On Demand, but I missed it and it disappeared for a while. It's back on Amazon, free with Prime. They must have mishandled the advertising. The poster shows MM with a gun. It's not an action thriller, it's a kids movie!

Every 14-year-old boy should see this film. It deftly handles divorce, friendship, love, tragedy, danger; it has a fantastic sense of place. MM has really become one of our best actors, and the kids do a superlative job as well. Highly recommended.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Loved every minute of this. It had a similar feel to stand by me, for me at least... obviously two different movies, but it really captured the naivety of a young teen/pre-teen, and the sense of adventure. The kids are fantastic, and Matthew was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom