• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music Makers |OT| Where words fail, music speaks.

GhostBed

Just uploaded another new track called Detached. It's basically more of me trying to create an unsettling, disconcerting atmosphere, but I'll let you guys be the judge of that! As I always seem to say, feedback is always appreciated!

I'd say you achieved an unsettling atmosphere in that track; really excellent sound design throughout. Piano sets an ominous tone while the minimalist drums keep the track moving at a good speed. The white noise and droning sounds kinda crawl under your skin and make for a creepy listen altogether. Great stuff!

Also, thank you! I love Kosmo Kat and the many artists he's involved with (mostly from the Zoom Lens label) so that's a very big compliment.

Mandelbo

I'd say you achieved an unsettling atmosphere in that track; really excellent sound design throughout. Piano sets an ominous tone while the minimalist drums keep the track moving at a good speed. The white noise and droning sounds kinda crawl under your skin and make for a creepy listen altogether. Great stuff!

Also, thank you! I love Kosmo Kat and the many artists he's involved with (mostly from the Zoom Lens label) so that's a very big compliment.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to have found someone else who likes Kosmo Kat too!

GhostBed

So MusicGaf, how do you overcome writer's block? I've got a number of performances coming up in the next few months and would like to debut some new music, but as of late I've been struggling to create anything worthwhile.

A good dose of adderall always helps out, but seeing as I haven't had any access to that recently, I'm looking for some more natural tips to get the ball rolling again. Any ideas, Gaf?

Xun

So MusicGaf, how do you overcome writer's block? I've got a number of performances coming up in the next few months and would like to debut some new music, but as of late I've been struggling to create anything worthwhile.

A good dose of adderall always helps out, but seeing as I haven't had any access to that recently, I'm looking for some more natural tips to get the ball rolling again. Any ideas, Gaf?
I find as a guitarist that it helps to change to a different tuning from time to time.

It forces you to play differently, which I find aids in coming up with new compositions.

Listen to music you never listen to. Try to find three small tricks or things they do that you think are neat. Do that for every song you listen to. You'll be amazed at the ideas that come to you. Other than that, work with different sounds, something off the wall like the sound water makes falling on stretched tin foil. You'd be amazed what you can find inspiration from. If you are still stuck after that, try to reproduce a certain sound from a song you like, I've been using "Temperance and Vengeance" from KI and trying to nail a few of the Saw sounds. Each time I start messing around, I come up with an idea for a song of my own.

This week for me, I'm going back to roots in minimalism for a bit. Free rhythm and few instruments make for quick pieces. If anyone needs help sleeping, try this: https://soundcloud.com/matt-pirtle/meditations. Feedback more than welcome, of course.

NotLiquid

a2196910810_16.jpg

New EP. Mostly leisurely electronic jazz/house stuff on this one.
Enjoy everyone.
https://plumegeist.bandcamp.com/album/a-solitary-moment

Counter-intuitively, I mostly listen to music that I wish I could make. That said, visuals help me a lot. Most of the time I find myself inspired by imagery, pictures, movies, films etc.

Sadsic

download lots of new samples :D

experiment

listen to new music

go back to old ideas and see if they sound different now

take a psychedelic and experience subjective reality more aggressively

sleep

thats what i do

New band recording, this time it's a cover of a Replacements song:

Here Comes A Regular

Really hard to stop that 12-string from clipping, even in Logic. If anyone has any tips let me know. I suppose the gain was too high when it was originally recorded, but it sounded fine on the recording device playback. Sigh.

Mandelbo

Posted a new song the other day - it's a bit longer than my other ones and I played around with effects more than I have before, I think. As always do tell me what you think!

Mandelbo

So I know that this thread's been about as active as a morgue, but has anyone got any recommendations for decent synth VSTs that make nice squelchy sounds? I'm getting really tired of using the stock synth VST that comes with Cubase :/

JRBechard

https://soundcloud.com/emptyelles/born-benign
I started to re-record all my music and I'm really happy with how it's coming out. I think I should tweak the vocals so they mesh better, but I'm not really good at mixing so if you have any tips please go ahead! I was going for something between the Strokes and Weezer on cassette sound so that's why I intentionally went for overdriven vocals.

I know this thread is pretty much dead, but I wanted to share my band page because we're trying to put together a (free) demo CD, and I've been working on mixing and re-mixing some stuff and would appreciate any input or criticism from people who actually know what they're doing. Most of the recent stuff is demo candidate stuff except for the second song to the top because that's just us messing around.

Anyway, here's the SoundCloud page: The Worst Case Scenario

GhostBed

Here's a weird track I've been obsessively working on over the weekend. Really weird and dynamic, but I think it's alright for what it is. Calling it a demo now, hoping to polish it more in the future and pair it with a couple other tracks for an EP.

bipolar coke monster.

JRBechard

https://soundcloud.com/emptyelles/born-benign
I started to re-record all my music and I'm really happy with how it's coming out. I think I should tweak the vocals so they mesh better, but I'm not really good at mixing so if you have any tips please go ahead! I was going for something between the Strokes and Weezer on cassette sound so that's why I intentionally went for overdriven vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xJ4kSwYMbA

Finished it and made a video!

Top Bottom