• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Must I play Half Life before HL2 and what about Halo before Halo 2

Anyone of the opinion Halo > Halo 2?

I've not played Halo 2 yet.

And god damn! Play Half Life... the graphics might seem dated to you now I don't know, but its a fantastic game. Have a blast at Team Fortress Classic when you get it too. Or Counterstrike. People have been playing those things for years with good reason. There are other great mods too.

I reckon u cud do hl2 without ever playing hl1. A bit of backround mite help though. So u know about g-man and why theres monsters :p

dem

I quit playing the original HL when
you got to those stupid Alien worlds full of jumping jackassery

I'm going to assume theres none of that in HL2...

royale

For half-life I would start with HL2. Judging from early reviews, HL2 would feel a lot fresher if you play it first. When you complete HL2, just go back to the first one to find out the back story. Play the Source version of HL so it doesn't feel so outdated.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I hear Half-Life 2 is kind of separate from the original, with there being obvious continuity, but the whole thing of the Combine (sp?) isn't from the original, is it?

eh, i dont know if you wanna play Half life 1. you will be MUCH better off playing half life Source....cause heh....half life looks like complete shit right now. I booted it up just for nostalgia the other night and wow, its so damn ugly compared to how its probably gonna look in source.

and yea you should play both halo and halo 2. And with Halo 1, you should play Co-Op as much as possible cause thats where Halo 1 shines alot imo.

halo 2 shines in both co-op, single, and online.

peace

shibbs

I would really recommed you play HL before playing HL2. Hell, i even played through Opposing force and Blue shift for the story.

ps. Are there any pics of HL:source other than that first one?

Tsubaki

The fact that you started this thread means that you're a jump on the bandwagon hypemonger. Come on... think for yourself.

thorns

Banned
I don't think I could get myself to play Halo again after seeing how georgeous and fucking amazing halo 2 looks, not to mention the much smoother framerate. So I would say go with Halo 2, and read a summary of the story of Halo 1.

Tsubaki said:
The fact that you started this thread means that you're a jump on the bandwagon hypemonger. Come on... think for yourself.

what.jpg

Mrbob

Well, the Halo 2 intro gets you acquanted with what happens at the end of Halo. But I would still play Halo first because the game kicks copious amounts of ass!

As for Half Life/Half Life 2, I may be going away from the norm but I'm playing through Half Life Source first before moving onto Half Life 2.

Halo 1 - story rather uninteresting, gameplay so-so
Half-Life 1- classic FPS, story much more integrated

HL1 bonus points: Counter-Strike still rocks

Halo 2 is excellent (particularly in multi) and I have high hopes for HL2.

GhaleonEB

trippingmartian said:
Halo 1 - story rather uninteresting, gameplay so-so
Half-Life 1- classic FPS, story much more integrated

HL1 bonus points: Counter-Strike still rocks

Halo 2 is excellent (particularly in multi) and I have high hopes for HL2.

I rather disagree there - play Halo 1 for the story and the gameplay. Much in Halo 2 would not make sense otherwise (the fate of Halo, Flood, 343GS, etc)

Top Bottom