• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Agreed. We're almost reaching Sonic fandom retardedness, so I suggest keeping those things off from here.

G-Fex

Right so lets not post pics for a while.

Ok an episode focuses on three ponies in particular together. Who do you pick?

I'm going by a backpack I've seen in my store.
1. Pinkie Pie
2. Rainbow Dash
3. Fluttershy

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
G-Fex said:
Right so lets not post pics for a while.

I'm going by a backpack I've seen in my store.
1. Pinkie Pie
2. Rainbow Dash
3. Fluttershy

Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Luna battling Air Pirates.

karby

Darte said:
Wish people would minimize posting humanized stuff in this thread, it just brings all sorts of wrong reactions.

Anyways...
Pony Polka!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYf64...layer_embedded

I dunno, I think that a few of the human ponies pics are pretty good. I like this one, for example, and I also think this one is pretty good. There was also one posted a while back that showed Rarity and Sweetie Bell done in the style of Rockwell which I thought was great.
Other than those, I can honestly say that almost everything else shown I can do without.

I guess the biggest problem that I have with them is that I find most of them to be artistically bland, especially when they're done in the generically stale 'animoo' art-style. IMO you can almost tell when the generic anime style has become the default template for an artist who can't do much of anything else. Maybe it's because of this, and the fact that I've generally grown out of being an anime fan that these types of pics tend to elicit a huge eye roll from me. Other than that, I don't mind humanized ponies. I just wish they could be done mostly by people who knew how to do them well.

G-Fex said:
Rarity
Pinkie Pie
Fluttershy

karby said:
I dunno, I think that a few of the human ponies pics are pretty good. I like this one, for example, and I also think this one is pretty good. There was also one posted a while back that showed Rarity and Sweetie Bell done in the style of Rockwell which I thought was great.
Other than those, I can honestly say that almost everything else shown I can do without.

My problem is that a lot of them are sexualized and kind of creepy.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
My 2 cents:

Human ponies themselves are okay (I don't like them, but it's not horribly offensive).

However, when people start posting semi-rule 34 stuff, I just can't help but feel extremely creeped out.

Darte

karby said:

I guess the biggest problem that I have with them is that I find most of them to be artistically bland, especially when they're done in the generically stale 'animoo' art-style. IMO you can almost tell when the generic anime style has become the default template for an artist who can't do much of anything else. Maybe it's because of this, and the fact that I've generally grown out of being an anime fan that these types of pics tend to elicit a huge eye roll from me. Other than that, I don't mind humanized ponies. I just wish they could be done mostly by people who knew how to do them well.

Problem is then people end up not knowing where to draw the line between tasteful art versus sexualizing the characters in human form. Case in point: That human DJ-PON3 pic is fine, nothing illicit about that. Then there is that AJ pic that, in my opinion at least, kinda crosses that "creepy" line. Not sayin that kinda stuff can stopped because lets face it, you can't. I would rather keep this thread clear of any thing that may just cross that line and avoid any problem all together.
Besides, there are a lot of other places where people can get their fill of humanized ponies. This thread here is to about...well ponies! I've seen my share of iffy material when I look for art to post here (both humanized and ponies) that I don't post myself because I think it crosses that weird barrier just a bit too much.

I don't know maybe I'm being too sensitive about it, its just one brony's opinion
shrugging-pinkie-pie.png

I agree that the sexualized human pony stuff is dumb, but I don't think that should preclude any and all images of human ponies. Some of them are tasteful, stylish, funny and/or artistic.

If that AJ picture is an example of what's bad, I've seen regular pony images that go way further than that. It doesn't mean we stop posting pony images, just that we exercise some restraint in the types of images we post.

DrForester said:
Rainbow Dash and Rarity seem to get along fine.

They get along fine, but they have very different personalities that lead to differing opinions on how to solve a problem (charm vs action to use Dragonshy as an example). That is the definition of conflict.

Chuck

Still without luck
Question: Is the word "brony" in anyway a result from "people" that post on 4chan?

Or, is it the result of others knowing the hilariousness of the word "bro" and deciding to use it combined with the word "pony" as a way to identify those who watch the show?

Yea, the pictures really need to stop, humanized or otherwise. Constant image spam is annoying.

ChuckNoLuck said:
Question: Is the word "brony" in anyway a result from "people" that post on 4chan?

Or, is it the result of others knowing the hilariousness of the word "bro" and deciding to use it combined with the word "pony" as a way to identify those who watch the show?
It's from /co/

I'm going to sacrifice a disobedient moon pony every day until Friday in hopes that Celestia will prevent this thread from collapsing under the weight of humanized Applejack's 'bodypart of choice' before the season finale.

Until Friday, know that ponychan and FiMchan or the fillydelphia's tumblr are a good source of smile and tears but MY GOD, they are probably best kept off of GAF for a bevy of reasons.

Speculation for the finale and season 2:

Maybe the finale is written by Lauren Faust herself

She hinted on deviantart that there may be a reoccurring villain in the second season. Perhaps this is more freedom to do the overarching story element she originally wanted to incorporate?

Since Hasbro likes sellin' them thar toys, will there be pressure to have episodes feature other ponies? Will the newly voiced Ditzy Doo lead a scrub team of Bonbon, Lyra, Doctor Whooves, Cheerliee, the bitchy CMC-aged pony with glasses and Bizarro Universe Pegasus Pinkie in a pony versus pony Civil War?

Will there be a holiday themed episode? A badass Halloween one? PROBABLY NOT if the show premieres in October and has an exposition-heavy season-opener which pushes the possible themed episode to the first week of November.

Is Meghan McCarthy (Dragonshy, Green Isn't Your Color, Party of One) the most consistent and funniest writer?
YES.

Chuck, please keep your pony smut out the thread. NeoGAF is one of the only large internet communities where we have been allowed to actually keep and maintain a thread and I don't want that ruined because of unsavory fan art.

KtSlime

ChuckNoLuck said:

It's kind of both.

As mentioned it comes from /co/, and there is also another form of the word /b/ronies which are obviously specifically the bronies that were at (still are at?) war on /b/.

Oh god, is it writer ranking time already?

PROBABLY, if it'll help keep the rule 34 away

God Tier
  • Meghan McCarthy (Dragonshy, Call of the Cutie, Green Isn't Your Color, Party of One)
  • M.A. Larson (Swarm of the Century, Sonic Rainboom, Cutie Mark Chronicles: Birth of Supervillain Pinkie)

Workhorse Tier
  • Lauren "Bauss" Faust (first two episodes, some of Ticket Master, maybe the finale)
  • Amy Keating Rogers (Ticket Master, Apple Buck Season, Bridle Gossip, Fall Weather Friends, Dog and Pony Show)

Tired Workhorse Tier
  • Chris Savion (Boast Busters, Stare Master, Bird in the Hoof)

Not bad by any stretch of the imagination but one horrible episode Tier
  • Cindy Morrow (Griffon the Brush Off, Winter Wrap Up, Show Stoppers, Owls Well That Ends Well)

Dropping the Goddamn Ball Tier
  • Dave Polsky (Feeling Pinkie Keen, Over a Barrel)

G-Fex

Ultimoo said:
Why must everyone insist on sexualizing innocent ponies? >_>

Same reason for pokemon.

The furries I've well very briefly known are quite possibly the most terrible people I've ever met. But I won't get into that.

Anyways, it wouldn't be hard to guess what the villain is, another species no doubt because every other creature that isn't a pony is a complete horrible vile villain. With the exception of Spike and some very few others.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ultimoo said:
hey, don't you dare rail on Feeling Pinkie Keen.

I had a tough time rewatching that episode. Between that and Party of one, I just don't think Pink can carry an episode (and Party of One was a tad too dark and disturbing).

Neki

DrForester said:
I had a tough time rewatching that episode. Between that and Party of one, I just don't think Pink can carry an episode (and Party of One was a tad too dark and disturbing).
blah blah blah all I hear is hate on Pinkie. She's so awesome, you just need to embrace her ridiculousness to truly enjoy her. you guys are doing it wronnnnnnnnnnnng.

Ultimoo said:
hey, don't you dare rail on Feeling Pinkie Keen.
Someone will one day write their master's thesis entitled "The Pinkie Haunted World: The Role of Skepticism Versus Contemporary Christian Themes in Children's Educational Programming".

...and then fail out of community college.

Still, including a literal "leap of faith" with that Celestia moral at the end is a pretty bad call.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ultimoo said:
blah blah blah all I hear is hate on Pinkie. She's so awesome, you just need to embrace her ridiculousness to truly enjoy her. you guys are doing it wronnnnnnnnnnnng.

Except party of one shows she's not ridiculous and silly, but flat out insane. And not in the entertaining and silly Cesar Romero Joker way, but the Heath Ledger Joker way.

Here's a visual.

Pinky before Party of One.
2hn0v0k.jpg

Pinky after Party of One.
2eq6z4x.jpg

Neki

psh, I don't watch My Little Pony for the story, you guys are doing it wrong. :D but it seems like we're not going to change our minds so off to enjoy crazy Pinkie.

Dave Polsky's episodes are funny.

Party of one is the funniest, and maybe best episode this season. If someone asks me which to watch, I think I could hook them on Party of One alone.

Edit: Comparing Pinkie's twitches to christianity is pretty insulting to christianity. It's more like stuff you'd find in a farmer's almanac, or old wives' tales.

"Party of One" may be one of my favorite episodes of the season, but I can see the challenge in making a second Pinkie-centric episode. Without a straight man to directly play off of, focusing an episode entirely on her is like an episode entirely with Quagmire from Family Guy, Kramer from Seinfeld or Mr Roper from Three's Company.

Also I think Pinkie's twitches in "Feeling Pinkie Keen" were meant to parallel old wive's tales like "my kneecaps are telling me a storm is a-brewin'", but as I mentioned, the episode included a LITERAL leap of faith.

Dai101

Banned
meltingparappa said:
Scootaloo Tier
  • Dave Polsky (Feeling Pinkie Keen, Over a Barrel)

FIFY buddy

BTW:

I just want to say that i don't mind that much humanized and somewhat bordering R34 characters, i can see some good artwork and i appreciate that someway. Then, antropomorphisised characters bordering R34, man, get that furry shit out of the internet!!

karby

z3nWk.png

lol, Gaf ads insist on type casting.
on a related note, that is the ugliest Pinkie-like Pie I've ever seen, perhaps even uglier than those g3 poni--actually, nevermind. Nothing could be uglier than those.

G-Fex said:
I second chose team "Get nothing done"

1. Fluttershy
2. Rarity
3. Twilight

Get nothing done? Twilight is probably the most useful of any of them.

As to the humanized pony debate, I can't really figure why sexy humanized ponies are creepy. People are generally considered to be sexy. Still, there's a time and a place for everything, and GAF isn't that place for cheesecake borderline-rule 34, and would be as inappropriate in a thread discussing Heavenly Sword as it is in one about ponies.

In any case, since it seems to derail threads, it seems like it's best to stick humanized ponies in the same bin as cupcakes, shipping, and did-Rainbow-Dash-cheat-in-the-competition debates.

ChuckNoLuck said:

It definitely originated from 4chan, but I think the association /b/ ("/b/rony") came afterwards. The fandom originated on /co/.

Neki

G-Fex said:
I know I'm just teasing, plus I just had to get a knock on Twilight. I love picking on her.
you're so mean, you know she's socially awkward and she just wants acceptance!

KtSlime

G-Fex said:
I know I'm just teasing, plus I just had to get a knock on Twilight. I love picking on her.

You may be teasing, but I see truth, not saying that Twilight isn't smart, great, and a go getter, however she does tend to get caught up on minutia, and I can definitely see her failing at a great number of things when she goes into that mode.

G-Fex

Ultimoo said:
you're so mean, you know she's socially awkward and she just wants acceptance!

Her crying in winterwrap up is all kinds of good.

Plus she's unnecessarily mean to Spike in the last episode. Ooh he faked a mouse death big whoop.

Neki

G-Fex said:
Her crying in winterwrap up is all kinds of good.

Plus she's unnecessarily mean to Spike in the last episode. Ooh he faked a mouse death big whoop.

All according to the book she has on friendship. "Pretending to kill a fake mouse, this isn't in the book!"

n8

Unconfirmed Member
meltingparappa said:
Over a Barrel
The episode as a whole wasn't all that great, I can get behind that. What I don't get is its complete hatred of it all. There was plenty of gags that made it great. Bloomberg, Fluttershy is a tree, horse drawing horse-drawn carriages, also one of the best one-off horses.
42KiI.png

G-Fex

Ultimoo said:
All according to the book she has on friendship. "Pretending to kill a fake mouse, this isn't in the book!"

Neither is telling Spike has a crush on rarity all outloud. Pinkie's shaking her head somewhere.

I think cartoons can be the best when they're in weird places. Has anyone ever seen "Der Fuehrer's Face" that Donald Duck cartoon? There is some weird trippy stuff in that short, even beyond the premise, and it shows the strength of the art form. Daffy duck used to star in cartoons when his only trait was that he was crazy like his namesake ("Book Revue" is a good example). Bugs getting killed at the end of "What's Opera Doc" probably surprised a bunch of kids, which is why he gets the last word in, after the effect is complete.

My point is that making the decision to push Pinkie in the disturbing crazy direction was good, because it's unexpected. Cartoons are supposed to be cartoony, that is, wacky and pliable. Plot and character stuff shouldn't get in the way of making the funniest/best cartoon possible, because you can count on the status quo returning at the end. As much as it might be fun to entertain the idea that Pinkie is one bad day away from skinning everyone in equestria, we know she won't do that. However, I'm glad to know that if they need to push her sanity just past disturbing to make a joke, they'll do that, even though the cartoon is aimed at kids.

meltingparappa said:
Also I think Pinkie's twitches in "Feeling Pinkie Keen" were meant to parallel old wive's tales like "my kneecaps are telling me a storm is a-brewin'", but as I mentioned, the episode included a LITERAL leap of faith.

I agree with you on the leap of faith. That was pretty poorly written even in the context of that episode. Pinkie is not able to predict the future on her own, so there was no way for her to know that the leap wouldn't kill Twilight. The logic was really poor there and is probably the main thing that makes most people hate the episode (along with the poorly worded moral).

They should've figured out a way to incorporate Pinky's other twitches in getting Twilight to safety.
  • "This twitch means a big bubble is in the bath"
  • Twilight get's caught in huge bubble
  • Later same twitch occurs
  • Twilight trusts it
  • Bubble saves Twilight.

Captain Fish said:
Dave Polsky's episodes are funny.

Party of one is the funniest, and maybe best episode this season. If someone asks me which to watch, I think I could hook them on Party of One alone.

Edit: Comparing Pinkie's twitches to christianity is pretty insulting to christianity. It's more like stuff you'd find in a farmer's almanac, or old wives' tales.

I'd be inclined to agree- FPK exalts superstition, not legitimate spirituality. Unfortunately, the episode gives little reason to doubt that the writer believes it to be a legitimate spirituality that he ought to impart to children, from the wording of "leap of faith" to the letter to Celestia that could have come straight out of a 2nd grade religious textbook.

Chuck

Still without luck
Hexadecimalt said:
Chuck, please keep your pony smut out the thread. NeoGAF is one of the only large internet communities where we have been allowed to actually keep and maintain a thread and I don't want that ruined because of unsavory fan art.

I'm wondering what I posted that could be considered "smut" (whatever that is).

Amibguous Cad said:
It definitely originated from 4chan, but I think the association /b/ ("/b/rony") came afterwards. The fandom originated on /co/.

Is /co/ as terrible as /b/? I really don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom