• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My new electric guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
fart said:
i hate you guys

now, if you need me i'll be in my room banging on my old, hand me down guitar hating you guys

PS, just admit it alpha, you have no idea how a guitar pickup works.

None what so ever.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
by the way, i've been spending the past few hours dicking around on the damn thing and it's already 3:00. I have sleeping problems, so I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. :(

AlphaSnake

demon said:
by the way, i've been spending the past few hours dicking around on the damn thing and it's already 3:00. I have sleeping problems, so I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. :(

Haha, get used to it.

Fart: I have 17 million dollars. :)

Fusebox

Banned
I wound extra copper around my s. duncan humbucker once in the hope it might sound beefier.

Boy did that screw it up. :(

Neck-thru designs cost more because they're more difficult/expensive to build. Tone-wise, it's tomayto, tomahto. Bolt-ons usually have much greater attack and brightness.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I gotta post my babies since others are doing it...

mybabies.jpg

Fender American Std Strat
ESP Viper 301

ballhog

Fusebox said:
You don't buy a Dragon for its action or tone, just like you dont buy a Bentley for the boot space.

It's pure indulgence, I love their intricate designs, I want one, I've always wanted one and one day I'll have one so paupers and spendthrifts begone.

Well when I'm considering a guitar, action and tone are what I care about, and value. But go ahead and buy that dragon, hang it next to your Picasso.

demon

Can anyone recommend a good learn-to-play guitar book? One that would be good for beginners who already have music experience and at least a basic understanding of music theory?

AlphaSnake

Tre said:
Neck-thru designs cost more because they're more difficult/expensive to build. Tone-wise, it's tomayto, tomahto. Bolt-ons usually have much greater attack and brightness.

There are no advantages to bolt-on. Neck-thru does everything better. It's sturdier too, and the best part is that the neck is much less likely to warp on a neck-thru guitar. There's no question they give you a better and less cheaper sounding tone than a bolt on.

demon

Alphasnake said:
There are no advantages to bolt-on. Neck-thru does everything better. It's sturdier too, and the best part is that the neck is much less likely to warp on a neck-thru guitar. There's no question they give you a better and less cheaper sounding tone than a bolt on.
coolioz.

"There are no advantages to bolt-on. Neck-thru does everything better."

No. No. No.

Neck-thru = warmth and lots of sustain.
Bolt-on = attack and brightness.

Also, Bolt-ons are generally much cheaper to make and if you bork your neck on your neck-through, bend over sir, it's ass-rape time.

AlphaSnake

Tre said:
"There are no advantages to bolt-on. Neck-thru does everything better."

No. No. No.

Neck-thru = warmth and lots of sustain.
Bolt-on = attack and brightness.

Also, Bolt-ons are generally much cheaper to make and if you bork your neck on your neck-through, bend over sir, it's ass-rape time.

If you've got a decent set of pickups and the body is made of some really good wood...you're gaining that attack and brightness back. My C1 Classic has it all. I can make it sound like a Strat, or I can make it sound like a Gibson LP with two Alnicos, or I can make it sound like a higher-end ESP -- because it has the characteristics of all of those guitars.

Setnecks are usually somewhere in between neckthru and bolt-on. Not as long sustain as a neckthrough, still pretty expensive to replace a neck, some what equal between bright and warm.

"If you've got a decent set of pickups and the body is made of some really good wood...you're gaining that attack and brightness back."

Err, I'm not just talking pure treble. There are some characteristics that are determined by construction and slapping on some nice pick ups won't change that. Same reason why a stingray sounds like a stingray and *nothing* will mimic that 100%. You can get close to a lot of tones with pre-amp tweakage, but very rarely can you achieve any sound fully. Same with fingerboard woods changing the tone slightly. Pickups only pick-up what they recieve.

AlphaSnake

ballhog said:
Anyone have any comments on the glued neck?? Just curious. They are much more common than the neck-thru.

90% of the time those are only found on acoustics. But you knew that. :p

AlphaSnake

ballhog said:
What about Gibsons?

Which Gibson models use glued-on necks? I've played a couple of Les Pauls and SGs, and I own a Les Paul Prototype and they were all bolt on. O_O

AlphaSnake

ballhog said:
Allmost all Gibsons are set neck. I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't.

I need to do a double take. I know one thing's for sure is that my Les Paul Prototype is a bolt-on.

ballhog

Alphasnake said:
I need to do a double take. I know one thing's for sure is that my Les Paul Prototype is a bolt-on.

I have heard of Les Pauls with a bolt on neck, never seen one though.

As far as the jargon goes, we are basically just bickering about the advantages of different kinds of guitar construction. The neck can bolted on to the body like on Fenders, this is probably the most common way of doing it. The handy thing about this is that if you fuck up your neck, it's easy to replace. As far as wether you get more brightness and attack with a bolt on neck, I dont know. I find it had more to do with the wood used. A maple fingerboard brighter than a rosewood fingerboard. Single coil pickups also have a bright thin sound.

On Gibsons the necks are glued onto the body, called a set neck. On a neck-thru guitar the piece of wood that the neck is made from runs the entire length of the guitar, all the way to the bridge. That way the strings are attached to the same piece of wood at both ends, which gives you great sustain.

AlphaSnake

ballhog said:
I have heard of Les Pauls with a bolt on neck, never seen one though.

As far as the jargon goes, we are basically just bickering about the advantages of different kinds of guitar construction. The neck can bolted on to the body like on Fenders, this is probably the most common way of doing it. The handy thing about this is that if you fuck up your neck, it's easy to replace. As far as wether you get more brightness and attack with a bolt on neck, I dont know. I find it had more to do with the wood used. A maple fingerboard brighter than a rosewood fingerboard. Single coil pickups also have a bright thin sound.

Yeah, like I said, pickups are only about 60% of a guitars sound. The defining attribute is the wood. I have two rosewood necks and two maple necks. I prefer maple.

demon

I've got a question. I was messing around with my guitar last night (until 5'o'clock....what..the..fuck), and noticed that when the distortion was turned up high on the amp, and when I had the pickup switch set to the left, sometimes when I'd play a note it wouldn't be the right fuckin note. Like on the A string, I play an A an octave higher, but it sometimes sounds a half-step too low. What the hell's up with that?

Maybe your intonation is out of wack? Take it to a local guitar shop and have someone set it up for you. If they're good folks, they shouldn't charge more than 5-10 bucks and hell, the guitar'll probably feel completely new (again).

AlphaSnake

demon said:
I've got a question. I was messing around with my guitar last night (until 5'o'clock....what..the..fuck), and noticed that when the distortion was turned up high on the amp, and when I had the pickup switch set to the left, sometimes when I'd play a note it wouldn't be the right fuckin note. Like on the A string, I play an A an octave higher, but it sometimes sounds a half-step too low. What the hell's up with that?

See this is why you need an actual tuner. You may have tuned your A slightly flat, so by the time you get to the mid-point of the neck (12th fret) you're getting an even flatter A. Run to your Guitar Center or Sam Ash and buy a Korg GA-30 tuner. It costs $15.

Now!

demon

Alphasnake said:
See this is why you need an actual tuner. You may have tuned your A slightly flat, so by the time you get to the mid-point of the neck (12th fret) you're getting an even flatter A. Run to your Guitar Center or Sam Ash and buy a Korg GA-30 tuner. It costs $15.

Now!
NEVER! My 32kb/s streaming tuning mp3s will go with me to the grave!

oh fine.

ballhog

Sounds like an intonation problem, the pickup shouldn't make a difference though. Get the tuner and learn to set your intonation. I can't tell from the pics you posted how easy your bridge is to adjust. If it's a pain, just get someone to do it, depending on how hands on you want to get.

Nice Jaguar Bruce, put the damn e string back on it's saddle.

demon

Adjust the bridge? WTF? I thought you guys were talking about the tuning pegs.

ballhog

You adjust the intonation by adjusting the length of the string, this is done at the bridge. The tuning pegs are just for tuning, but as you have noticed, it is possible have an open strung in tune and the higher frets out of tune.

demon

Guitar-playing question now....

an example:

E:--0-0-0-0-0---0---0-0-----------0---:
B:--7-7-7-7-7---5---3-1-----------0---:
G:--0-0-0-0-0---0---0-0-----------0---:
D:--x-x-x-x-x---x---x-x-----------2---:
A:--9-9-9-9-9---7---5-3-----------2---:
E:----------------------2-2-2-3-2-0---:

What do the X's mean? Does that mean you don't play the string? If so, how the fuck do you do you play a chord with one string that you don't play in the middle?

demon

Tre said:
x's mean muted. Meaning you lightly press on the string so that it doesn't actually make a note when you strum/pluck it.
Ahh, okay. So in effect you really don't play it? I know on an instrument like the violin "muted" means something else.

AlphaSnake

demon said:
Guitar-playing question now....

an example:

E:--0-0-0-0-0---0---0-0-----------0---:
B:--7-7-7-7-7---5---3-1-----------0---:
G:--0-0-0-0-0---0---0-0-----------0---:
D:--x-x-x-x-x---x---x-x-----------2---:
A:--9-9-9-9-9---7---5-3-----------2---:
E:----------------------2-2-2-3-2-0---:

What do the X's mean? Does that mean you don't play the string? If so, how the fuck do you do you play a chord with one string that you don't play in the middle?

You mute the string by lightly touching it. You'll see this often the more you play. You'll most commonly see it for a technique called palm-muting which is generally used in large doses in metal songs.

Also: Bruce = Gumby. And that guitar looks like it has a bad rash or some sort of skin disease. :p

demon

Man, that muting shit is a pain in the ass, although I think I'm getting the hang of it. So far the most trouble I've run into is plucking/fingering techniques, ie hitting the right strings in the right way and only the right strings.

Fusebox

Banned
ballhog said:
Well when I'm considering a guitar, action and tone are what I care about, and value. But go ahead and buy that dragon, hang it next to your Picasso.

Well when you've owned, stripped and rebuilt more guitars than you can remember your priorities change and you get to a collectors stage.

And I would hang it next to a Picasso if I had one, probably Blue Boy because it's a beautiful guitar-themed painting.

Still it, looks like you're finally getting the concept that we all have different needs and wants, so kudos. ;)

Raxel

My turn to pimp my stuff :D
These are from my garage/studio, taken with my DV cam so excuse the quality..

Electro acoustic guitar
Encore Strat #1
ESP M-202 #1
Nylon Guitar
ESP M-202 #2 (tuned to Eb)
Encore Strat #2 (tuned to Eb)

Old Yamaha Keyboard
Evolution MIDI Keyboard
2x Kustom 10W Practice Amp
2x Behringer (Virtual Amps) V-Amp 2 + Footpedal

ethnic.jpg

Violin
Dhol (Indian instrument)

Soon I'll get a real amp (5150 combo) and this guitar players dream:

EMG 89-SA-89R w/ coil tap + TransTrem + graphite blend neck = :O

No more floyd rose tuning BS! Even when a string breaks, the other strings stay in tune. Just awesome.

demon

SFA_AOK said:
Any recommendations of websites/books for those wanting to learn guitar?
I just bought the book The New Complete Guitarist for 7 bucks at a local store. For 7 bucks it seems pretty thorough. It goes over everything from fingering techniques (ooh that sounds dirty) to chord to how to read music, although I'm skipping over the more universal music skill stuff since I already play piano and violin. I'm sure there are shitloads of books out there, but this one seems decent enough.

I've had it since tuesday, but I've actually used it about 5% of the time I've been messing around on my guitar. I've been having too much fun teaching myself to play various songs I know (either by memory or from looking up tabs), and just yesterday I came across a tab for Radiohead's 'Talk Show Host', and because I've always thought that was an instrumentally awesome song, I was just giddy when I was able to play it. Guitar r0x. I'm still absolutely fucking baffled at how I'll be able to play some of the chords I come across when looking at some tabs. Maybe it's because I have somewhat short fingers, but they seem almost impossible to play after spending 20 seconds just trying to position my damn fingers, let alone being able to play them during a song.

I have a KORG CA-30 Chromatic Tuner... and using was pretty simple for the past month or so. But I accidentally changed the frequency (on the upper left corner of the screen it says --- Hz.. so I'm assuming whatever number is there is the frequency.. or calibration? I'm not sure...), and when I tried to tuning it sounded way out of tune.. yet it says it was perfectly tuned in standard EADGBE. Everything sounded like a full note higher... so I tried changing the frequency/calbiration again, but now it sounds like two full notes lower than I think it should. Does anyone know what frequency/calibration it should be at? I haven't learned how to tune by ear as of yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom