• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My new electric guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Star Power said:
I have a KORG CA-30 Chromatic Tuner... and using was pretty simple for the past month or so. But I accidentally changed the frequency (on the upper left corner of the screen it says --- Hz.. so I'm assuming whatever number is there is the frequency.. or calibration? I'm not sure...), and when I tried to tuning it sounded way out of tune.. yet it says it was perfectly tuned in standard EADGBE. Everything sounded like a full note higher... so I tried changing the frequency/calbiration again, but now it sounds like two full notes lower than I think it should. Does anyone know what frequency/calibration it should be at? I haven't learned how to tune by ear as of yet...

440 is the center.

Thanks a lot.

You know so much... hehe.

Would you mind explainng what the point of having like 410 and stuff is? If 440 is what it should sound like.

AlphaSnake

Star Power said:
Thanks a lot.

You know so much... hehe.

Would you mind explainng what the point of having like 410 and stuff is? If 440 is what it should sound like.

420 is half a step down, so if you ever wanted to tune to a flatter tuning, you tune to the frequency (some bands use an Eb tuning). 410 means you're out of tune. :p

For every 20 frequencies you go up or down, that's a half step.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Alpha: Sorry about the 'Um, no.' :)

While everyone else is posting pics of their guitar, I'm going to take the excuse to post mine (possibly again, can't remember if I posted it last time round):

jj.jpg

It truly is a thing of beauty to behold and play - hand made, mahogany body and neck, some nice features on the electronics (including a neat coil tap). Worth every penny I spent on it.

It should be noted that when you tune, it might help to tune very, very, very, VERY slightly flat. Because pressing on the string increases tension, it makes the note sharper. Tuning very, very slightly flat will combat that a little.

AlphaSnake

Tre said:
It should be noted that when you tune, it might help to tune very, very, very, VERY slightly flat. Because pressing on the string increases tension, it makes the note sharper. Tuning very, very slightly flat will combat that a little.

It doesn't really matter. Chromatic tuners aren't perfect and are always off by a little bit; the tuner goes sharper than where you actually are. So in effect, with a chromatic tuner you're already tuning it ever so slighly flat; even though the bar says you're right in the center.

AlphaSnake

fart said:
tune with your goddamn ear

It takes a while. I can do it. I can also tune using harmonics, which is the most annoying way to tune if you have people around you...but I like it. :p

"Chromatic tuners aren't perfect and are always off by a little bit; the tuner goes sharper than where you actually are. So in effect, with a chromatic tuner you're already tuning it ever so slighly flat; even though the bar says you're right in the center."

That sentence makes no sense, Alpha. :p

I'm a little more pickier with tuning since I never used anything that didn't show how many cents I was off the note.

AlphaSnake

It makes sense, brah.

You're tuning your guitar with your tuner...the pointer is in the center (440Hz) and says you're right on point. But in actuality you're a bit flatter and are likely around 439.5Hz. See what I'm saying? Chromatic tuners aren't perfect, and show you sharper than you actually are.

AlphaSnake

Tre said:
Unfortunately, no it wasn't :p.

Also, it's pretty much BS. :p Every tuner I've had experience with was off by +/-, not solely + or -.

Tuners generally tune you slightly flat and not sharp. That's what everyone else says too.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I just learned to play the beginning guitar part of 'Us and Them' (one of the most beautiful rock songs ever IMO), and I am now a happy man. *sniff*

God I'm glad I blew 600 bucks on this instead of a new TV.

demon

karasu said:
should you really alternate pick everything ?
teh book I got says not all the time. If you're going to an adjacent string, pick in the direction fo that string and then pick that string in the same direction. And it says that non-alternating picking is good for controlling tone and whatnot,, while alternate picking is good for speed. I guess it all makes sense. Hell 90% of the time I've been using my fingers because it gives me much better control over the tone.

AlphaSnake

karasu said:
should you really alternate pick everything ?

Nah. Definitely not. I only alt. pick when playing a lead piece or moving up and down the neck (vertically, string jumping).

demon

Bump, looking for more advice. What would be the best way, like the best kinds of exercises, to improve my ability to, well, hit the right note I want to play when I'm just messing around or improvising or trying to play a tune from memory? Basically, how to get a good feel for where the notes are and how to hit a note an octave lower when I want, etc. Scales and arpeggios and all that shit?

soakrates

I'm reminded of a maxim Al Dimeola coined a while back: "Learn your arpeggios, and then forget them."

I doubt if he's the first person ever to say something to that effect, but it basically means practice your arpeggios (or scales, chords, etc.) until you get a feel for where they are, how they sound, and how you play them; pretty much until it becomes second nature. It also helps to know some basic theory, like your intervals and how many steps there are in between each note on the scale. There are lots of patterns work pretty much anywhere, though you do want to avoid getting to a point where you just play the same patterns over and over.

One thing that helped me quite a bit is knowing how many times a given note appeared on the neck and where; not just the exact same note, but its octaves as well. That way, I know when I have access to that note and its "relatives" (so to speak) when I'm improvising.

Hope that helps.

moist

I now feel the need to whore my electric as well.

guitar%20004.jpg

Not the best picture but you get the idea. I have a acoustic as well but I don't have any pics of it at the moment.

I'd whore pictures of my equipment out as well (guitar equipment, you sickos) but I'd probably get laughed at. I play with cheap shit, and I prefer it really. Although, I plan on buying a Les Paul custom soon.

demon

Why are there three red notes though?

-edit-
Ahh, octaves. Nevermind.

Thanks.

Alf

Banned
I ordered an Ibanez RG321 as my first guitar:
RG321RB-1N-04.jpg

It doesn't have a tremolo bar but I guess it doesn't matter, though some suggested that since Ibanez doesn't really specialize in fixed bridges, it may not be as good. I would like to have a trem bar but I got this and a hardcase for $217 USD whch is a pretty good deal I think. Need to find a good, inexpensive amp now.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Error Macro said:
I'd whore pictures of my equipment out as well (guitar equipment, you sickos) but I'd probably get laughed at. I play with cheap shit, and I prefer it really.

Nothing wrong with that. My guitar of choice (despite having guitars in the house costing many times more) was an old Hohner Rockwood Les Paul copy that I just found a lot more playable than, say, an Epiphone Les Paul. Sometimes the cheap shit just works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom