• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mysterious radio signal from space is repeating every 16 days

Kamina

Golden Boy
Soon...

L1qjB0C.gif

Even though this is a joke post, there is actually an entire topic in UFO science about Nazi spacecraft.

I think he was referencing this scene from Contact:

Contact. The book is by Carl Sagan, not that I've ever read any of his work. The film is quite popular though, but I think it's one of those love it or hate it films.
I like it, apart from Jodie Foster's acting towards the end. It has an amazing opening scene and how they filmed her as a child running towards the bathroom mirror was pretty clever. Most of the movie is pretty entertaining with its twists and turns trying to decipher the signal.

Watching it as a kid, I was also fascinated by the brief look at the weird alien structure (turned out to be their radio array) and the alien planet, when the camera pans down from the quadruple star system to the surface and you see how their cities are lit up at night.

4eeacf405440918cd7b39f508f248b29.png

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I think he was referencing this scene from Contact:

I like it, apart from Jodie Foster's acting towards the end. It has an amazing opening scene and how they filmed her as a child running towards the bathroom mirror was pretty clever. Most of the movie is pretty entertaining with its twists and turns trying to decipher the signal.

Watching it as a kid, I was also fascinated by the brief look at the weird alien structure (turned out to be their radio array) and the alien planet, when the camera pans down from the quadruple star system to the surface and you see how their cities are lit up at night.

4eeacf405440918cd7b39f508f248b29.png

I always wondered what that structure was too in the movie. I think someone else said it was a terminal or waypoint for the wormhole network.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Somewhere in this multiverse, an alien queen is getting it on with her entire race, a planet-wide orgy, celebrating something....

that's what this about, i can feel it..

Airola

It was sent from Atlantis to outer space and we are soon going to get the confirmation that Atlantis was real.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It's inevitably going to be a object oscillating or pulsing or orbiting at a regular interval.

The idea that aliens would be communicating in ways that we conceive of is hubristic.

I don't doubt that there is life out there. Carl Sagan explains that equation neatly enough. What i do doubt is that they are a given to have anything like our concept of existence, or our material needs and basic instincts. There is absolutely no reason to suggest that they have a "conquer everything" instinct, or indeed a "build an empire" or "make peace" concept. There is no reason they would have any desire to meet us. There is no reason to think they know what radio waves are as we understand them. There is no reason to think even the most incidental iota of our minute and pointless existence on this earth is tangential to anything about the existence of these motes of life.

Try not to buy into Hollywood, as great as Contact was.

Also, keep in mind that it is a physical impossibility for them to ever meet us. Even going at the speed of light they're so spread out that it would doubtless take the nearest ones tend of thousands of years to reach us at the very least, by which time we will undoubtedly have followed the fate of every dominant species this planet has ever harboured and killed ourselves off by exhausting our environment or getting smacked by a big bit of rock.

Also considering the rate at which information from earth travels out, anyone who communicates with us will, to paraphrase Bill Bryson, likely start with "dear sire", then congratulate us on the handsomeness of our horses and our mastery of whale oil.
Imagine it was some alien bros sending dick pics. Or what ever they call their dicks

Top Bottom