• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

I'm on board with Jonah Ray. I just need to get more info before I back, as the host isn't the only new thing

It just went from $1,961,221 to $1,982,548 in the last hour. At this rate, funding will happen in less than 1 hour!

Very excited by the fact that this is going to hit its goal in the first week. With the way it initially slowed down, I thought we might not get to the first goal till Turkey Day. Hopeful we will get to the next stretch goal at this point.

mclem

Very excited by the fact that this is going to hit its goal in the first week. With the way it initially slowed down, I thought we might not get to the first goal till Turkey Day. Hopeful we will get to the next stretch goal at this point.

My prediction was nine episodes, and I'm sticking to that. They've done a reasonable job of promotion and maintaining interest thus far, and Turkey Day should add to that.

mclem

R9pZNli.png

Push the button, Joel.

mclem

Oh, and it's technically my birthday - its a couple of hours past midnight over here. So I'll take that as my birthday gift from all of you. So kind.

mclem

So this is going well right? I've never paid this close attention to a Kickstarter campaign before.

Yeah. There are campaigns that hit their initial goal in the first day, and it's not on that level, but it's managed to hit a large goal in the first week, and that's definitely well above average.

E the Shaggy

I can confirm the rest of the rumors of the new cast by the way:

I'm good friends with Hampton and I've been freaking out all day talking with him about being Crow. He's going to KILL IT. Funniest guy I've ever known.

E the Shaggy

Nice! Whatever other info you're comfortable sharing, let us know!

Well I can tell you about the man himself. Download his album on his website, for free btw, to get a better sense of his comedy outside of just the youtube stuff.

ALSO, he was the writer/creator of the webcomic Rob and Elliott which some folks might remember:

comics-robandelliot-Superman-562345.png

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What are the chances of this actually hitting 5.5 mil for 12 episodes?

Between the next few announcements to be made (Felecia Day playing the Mad has a built in audience), Turkey Day promotion, and the last few days of a kickstarter usually being pretty strong, I'd say the odds are pretty good.

Tom_Cody

What are the chances of this actually hitting 5.5 mil for 12 episodes?

Between the next few announcements to be made (Felecia Day playing the Mad has a built in audience), Turkey Day promotion, and the last few days of a kickstarter usually being pretty strong, I'd say the odds are pretty good.
My guesstimate puts it somewhere in the 4 million range, but 5.5 is not out of the realm of possibility.

It will be interesting to see how much of an impact the planned promotional efforts end up having. Yesterday's casting announcement (plus Joel's push) had some amount of an impact, but it wasn't game-changing. If they settle into a daily rate of ~$50k and hold that until the end of the project, that would be ~$1.2M more. Add in a few promotional bumps and the activity as the end approaches, and the $4.4 level looks very do-able. If they overperform above that, then $5.5 becomes realistic.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
My guesstimate puts it somewhere in the 4 million range, but 5.5 is not out of the realm of possibility.

It will be interesting to see how much of an impact the planned promotional efforts end up having. Yesterday's casting announcement (plus Joel's push) had some amount of an impact, but it wasn't game-changing. If they settle into a daily rate of ~$50k and hold that until the end of the project, that would be ~$1.2M more. Add in a few promotional bumps and the activity as the end approaches, and the $4.4 level looks very do-able. If they overperform above that, then $5.5 becomes realistic.

Jonah is great, but I doubt he has much of a built in audience to really push the kickstarter. It'll be interesting to see where we are after the Mad announcement.

2 mil within a week is pretty amazing for such a thing like this.

If the reveals are true such as them bringing on Felicia Day, I can see that pushing in another big bunch of funds.

Yup. If they are smart, they will space apart these reveals/scooby snacks to keep the engine going.

Tom_Cody

Jonah is great, but I doubt he has much of a built in audience to really push the kickstarter. It'll be interesting to see where we are after the Mad announcement.
I totally agree. That's where $5.5M (versus $4.4M) becomes more possible.

Regarding the Mad, she has a big online following, but it will be interesting to see how that intersects with MST3K's fanbase. I personally think the project would get an even bigger bump if they could get some/all of the other original cast/writers to sign on in some capacity.

Blader

They should riff a short with Jonah and the new bot voices. Unless it really sucks, that'd be a great way to push the campaign and also make people more comfortable with the new cast.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
They should riff a short with Jonah and the new bot voices. Unless it really sucks, that'd be a great way to push the campaign and also make people more comfortable with the new cast.

I had the same idea a week ago!

You know what they need to do to really sell people who are on the fence? Just go ahead and do a quick little 5-10 minute short to give people an idea of what the reboot's gonna be like.

I really do think it would do a lot to drive pledges, for sure.

For some reason I get the feeling that this is a possibility.

For what it's worth, I sent this tweet:

@JoelGHodgson @jonahray any chance you'd riff a short with the new cast during the Kickstarter campaign to encourage donors? #BringBackMST3K

Yeah, new crow sounds pretty good, actually. Very Crow-like. New Servo is terrible. They couldn't find anyone funny with a deeper voice?

Yikes. I disagree with this viewpoint very much. First should be "are they funny?" Whether or not they sound like our expectations of Crow and Servo should be way down on the list. A giant part of what made MST work is that the puppeteers are also the show's writers. They're directly connected to the material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom