• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco announcing new Tales GBA game on Monday

jarrod

Banned
Wow, I sorta figured Namco Japan gave up on GBA after Phantasia released (in summer 2003)... ncie to see they're still on board. Klonoa G3 please? :)

MoxManiac

With ToS's unexpected success, and Namco's recent bravery with niche titles, I wouldn't count out a us release quite yet.

jarrod

Banned
MoxManiac said:
With ToS's unexpected success, and Namco's recent bravery with niche titles, I wouldn't count out a us release quite yet.
Hometek's still afraid of carts. If it was a DS or PSP game, we'd have a shot. :(

Our only hope is if DSI Games decides to loacalize some JP games through their publishing deal...

...oh and it's worth noting that a new Tales of the World for GBA was part of the original multi-game Tales plan rumor... Legendia's one step closer. :)

jarrod

Banned
trippingmartian said:
Gee, there just aren't enough Tales games, are there?
So far...

01 Tales of Phantasia (SFC) 1995
02 Tales of Destiny (PS1) 1997
03 Tales of Phantasia (PS1) 1998
04 Tales of Phantasia: Narikari Dungeon (GBC) 2000
05 Tales of Eternia (PS1) 2000
06 Tales of Fandom Vol. 1 (PS1) 2001
07 Tales of the Wolrd: Narikari Dungeon 2 (GBA) 2002
08 Tales of Destiny II (PS2) 2002
09 Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage (GBA) 2003
10 Tales of Phantasia (GBA) 2003
11 Tales of Symphonia (GCN) 2003
12 Tales of Symphonia (PS2) 2004
13 Tales of Rebirth (PS2) 2004
14 Tales of Eternia (PSP) 2005
15 Tales of the World: Narikari Dungeon 3 (GBA) 2005

...and rumored...

16 Tales of Legendia (GCN)
17 Tales of Fandom Vol.2 (PS2)

ferricide

MoxManiac said:
i think namco USA has given up on GBA. have they released anything since the first year the system was out?

i really can't think of anything remotely recent.

Spike

Is there any hope that ToP GBA will eventually see a release? Seeing that Symphonia is the prequel, I'm hoping that there is a chance, however slight.

FoneBone

Spike said:
Is there any hope that ToP GBA will eventually see a release? Seeing that Symphonia is the prequel, I'm hoping that there is a chance, however slight.
I'd say no, although I can always hope that they'll license it to another publisher. I can't believe that Namco USA has passed on the game three times.

Miburou

jarrod said:
So far...

01 Tales of Phantasia (SFC) 1995
02 Tales of Destiny (PS1) 1997
03 Tales of Phantasia (PS1) 1998
04 Tales of Phantasia: Narikari Dungeon (GBC) 2000
05 Tales of Eternia (PS1) 2000
06 Tales of Fandom Vol. 1 (PS1) 2001
07 Tales of the Wolrd: Narikari Dungeon 2 (GBA) 2002
08 Tales of Destiny II (PS2) 2002
09 Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage (GBA) 2003
10 Tales of Phantasia (GBA) 2003
11 Tales of Symphonia (GCN) 2003
12 Tales of Symphonia (PS2) 2004
13 Tales of Rebirth (PS2) 2004
14 Tales of Eternia (PSP) 2005
15 Tales of the World: Narikari Dungeon 3 (GBA) 2005

...and rumored...

16 Tales of Legendia (GCN)
17 Tales of Fandom Vol.2 (PS2)

Not to nitpick, but it's actually Narikiri, not Narikari. :)

Scott

jarrod, you're missing one. :p

Tales of Tactics (FOMA cellphones)
http://www.the-magicbox.com/Feb04/game020904b.shtml
ferricide said:
i really can't think of anything remotely recent.
Well, they have that partnership with Destination Software to bring I-Ninja, Pac-Man World, kill.switch., Dead to Rights, Smashing Drive, etc to the GBA... That's pretty much it.

That line-up doesn't spur much hope on the niche title front, either, but at least it shows that they haven't dropped the platform altogether... if that's worth anything.

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
Hometek's still afraid of carts. If it was a DS or PSP game, we'd have a shot. :(

Our only hope is if DSI Games decides to loacalize some JP games through their publishing deal...

...oh and it's worth noting that a new Tales of the World for GBA was part of the original multi-game Tales plan rumor... Legendia's one step closer. :)

Yeah, I remember there being a GBA Tales announced awhile back. Cool.

ferricide

Scott said:
Well, they have that partnership with Destination Software to bring I-Ninja, Pac-Man World, kill.switch., Dead to Rights, Smashing Drive, etc to the GBA... That's pretty much it.
yeah. that's foul. those are all namco hometek-derived IPs as well, or close enough. stank licensing deals like this are not going to get us tales games in the US.

shame, really. at leasy namco hometek will do PSP. shame that TOE is a port and not an original game, because i don't have much interest in rebuying it.

MoxManiac said:
Namco's recent bravery with niche titles, I wouldn't count out a us release quite yet.

With the "changing of the guard" that occured over at Namco Hometek this past year, it doesn't surprise me that more quirky games are heading stateside.

Auron

Tales of Phantasia is listed in the "coming soon" charts in Nintendo Power. I wonder how reliable NP is?

cvxfreak

Auron said:
Tales of Phantasia is listed in the "coming soon" charts in Nintendo Power. I wonder how reliable NP is?

Not extremely, but I'm sure Symphonia's success will light a few lightbulbs.

Top Bottom