• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco rocks!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Namco has really been awesome lately. Katamari Damacy, Nightmare of Druaga, Ace Combat V, and Taiko: Drum Master. Not to mention Donkey Konga..amazing year for them.

Indeed.

I just got Mr. Driller Drill Land the other day. Incredible music and presentation. Can't wait for Katamari to come out.

Between Mr. Driller, Soul Calibur, Klonoa, and Katamari I'm starting to feel that Namco has one of the best music teams in the industry.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Also, don't forgot the 'Tales of' games and the Tekken series. And Ace Combat 4 and 5!!!!

AniHawk

I haven't picked up a single Namco game since 1989 until Klonoa 2... Man, I've really enjoyed their games I've played this gen a ton (Klonoa 2, Tales of Symphonia, Donkey Konga, Taiko Drum Master). Looking forward to Katamari Damacy and Star Fox as well, as well as any other Tales of games brought over here.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
timecrisis3.jpg
>>>>
np_virtuacop3.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wario64 said:

Whoa, lets not say things we can't take back. Time Crisis 3 is good, but I didn't even want to play the game again after Virtua Cop 3 arrived.

And I can't believe I forgot about Baten Kaitos and Klonoa. I should send them a care package full of muffins...poop muffins. I still love them, but those are the only muffins I know how to make. :(

Fularu

Banned
Grizzlyjin said:
Whoa, lets not say things we can't take back. Time Crisis 3 is good, but I didn't even want to play the game again after Virtua Cop 3 arrived.

And I can't believe I forgot about Baten Kaitos and Klonoa. I should send them a care package full of muffins...poop muffins. I still love them, but those are the only muffins I know how to make. :(

And I'll add that TC2 is vastly superior to TC3

And none of them can touch the godness that is the VC serie

doncale

Banned
for me, it's a love-hate thing with Namco.

I love Ace Combat 1, 2, 4 and i'm sure 5 will be the best. I love Ridge Racer V, Tekken Tag, Soul Calibur DC, Soul Calibur 2, TC2, TC3 and upcoming TC CZ.

but I hate Namco for not bringing Rave Racer, Air Combat 22, Tokyo Wars, Prop Cycle, or arcade-exact ports of Ridge Racer and RR2 to home, as well as other games. but I feel the same toward Sega at times for the games they havent brought home too.

but, I suppose I have to accept the good AND the bad. so Namco still gets my support when they do good.

Grizzlyjin

Miburou said:
The House of the Dead II >>>>> every other gun game.

AND

every other gun game >>>>> The House of the Dead III

Hehe, maybe not that far but HotD 3 kind of sucks. The shotgun looks cool but I find the actual game quite boring.

Grizzlyjin

Wario64 said:
Street Racing Syndicate is pretty awesome too. And Xenosaga...oh what an awesome RPG

o_0

I can't believe you left out the upcoming Death by Degrees.

Mr. Lemming said:
I just got Mr. Driller Drill Land the other day. Incredible music and presentation.

Hooray! It's never too late. Drill Land is a must-own game on so many levels.. It just kills me that so few people have played it.

I hate to pick favorites, but I have to honestly say at this point that I've probably flat-out loved more games by Namco than by any other publisher in the 20+ years that I've been playing games. They made most of my favorite classics (Dig Dug, Libble Rabble, Mappy, etc), had a bit of a slump in the 8 and 16 bit eras (which was fine, since there were way too many other good games to play anyway), and then came roaring back in the mid-90s to kick total ass. I actually manage to forget about the huge (and awesome) games like Tekken, Ridge Racer, Tales of whatever and Soul Calibur when I sit back and think about how great Namco is. I'm too busy thinking of the Klonoa series, the incredible and vastly underrated Mr Driller series, the equally as incredible and underrated Gunbullet series (the best light gun games ever made), and other one-off chunks of total radness like Rescue Shot Bubibo and Star Trigon.

The Outfoxies, their 1996 arcade fighting game, could have and should have completely redefined the fighter as we know it. It's still a mystery to me how that one managed to get overlooked. If you - yeah, you! - haven't heard of it, do yourself a favor and Google it right away.

And yeah, I couldn't agree more with Mr. Lemming. Namco has consistently produced some of the most unique and memorable game music ever, stretching all the way back to the early classics. In fact, games like Dig Dug are some of the first I can remember having extremely memorable sound effects and original music, as opposed to hijacked classical scores. How can you beat the totally bizarre only-plays-when-you-walk Dig Dug tune? It's permanently etched in my memory, as is the wacky spaz-out music from Point Blank, the whimsical Klonoa score, and much more.

I could go on forever about all kinds of specific obscure games (Marvel Land just came to mind) that I loved, but I doubt anyone wants to read that. I just wanted to add to the praise and agree that Namco rules. Few, if any, other companies put out such consistently charming, imaginative, and unique games along with a non-stop string of big-name blockbuster hits. Namco is the total package!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Namco has always been the best at adding extras in their arcade to home conversions. Sega needs to learn from Namco in that respect.

Gregory

Banned
You people are crazy. Namco has been SHIT ever since the current consoles came out. They ruled on PS1, they were perhaps the absolute best developers. It all started to go downhill with RR5 and Tekken Tag.

And it`s just become worse after that. Namco is just a shadow of it`s former greatness.

BuddyC

Gregory said:
You people are crazy. Namco has been SHIT ever since the current consoles came out. They ruled on PS1, they were perhaps the absolute best developers. It all started to go downhill with RR5 and Tekken Tag.

And it`s just become worse after that. Namco is just a shadow of it`s former greatness.
klona.gif

3765.jpg

Gregory said:
You people are crazy. Namco has been SHIT ever since the current consoles came out.

I'd bet money that you haven't even played most, if any, of the current-gen Namco games most of us are praising. Most notably Katamari, Drill Land, Druaga, and Klonoa 2.

And if you have, and still think they suck, then... I think you suck! ^__^

Gregory said:

Namco != Tekken + Ridge Racer

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Rage Racer is arguably the greatest videogame ever made. A game that I have logged over 400 hours of play time with. And for that, Namco rules.

Gregory said:

I never understood the hate for RRV. Aside from the jaggies, what exactly was so bad about it? Sure it wasn't a big evolution in the series like Rage Racer was (or downgrade like RRT4), but it was in line with the originals in the series. If you enjoyed those titles, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy RRV.

Gregory

Banned
bobbyconover said:
I'd bet money that you haven't even played most, if any, of the current-gen Namco games most of us are praising. Most notably Katamari, Drill Land, Druaga, and Klonoa 2.

And if you have, and still think they suck, then... I think you suck! ^__^

Well, that`s true. Except from Klonoa 2 which I have played and didn`t like at all. I haven`t even heard of the others, are they rpg`s? I don`t play rpg`s. Drill Land? Is that Mr.Driller or something? if so that was shit too.

I associate Namco with their racers, fighters and to a lesser extent shooters.

Gregory

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I never understood the hate for RRV. Aside from the jaggies, what exactly was so bad about it? Sure it wasn't a big evolution in the series like Rage Racer was (or downgrade like RRT4), but it was in line with the originals in the series. If you enjoyed those titles, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy RRV.

You`ve answered your own question. It was the same that I had played years before, but it was also worse than it`s prequels. Even worse than RR4 which I also dislike immensely.

It was uninspired and I lost interest in it very quickly.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
NANA--NANANANANA--NA--NA--NA, NA--NA--NANA--NA----

Miburou

Where was all this Namco love back in the PS1 and early PS2 days? I swear back then it felt like I was the only Namco fan on this board (I certainly was more or less the only one defending them against the vicious Sega fanboys thread after thread).

The quality of their arcade games has certainly gone down in the last couple of years. RRV was the last Namco game that really got me excited (and that game was ace, best RR game ever).

Azrael

It's nice to see Namco bringing quirky Japanese games to the U.S. and the madness of the last two year's focus on publishing second rate western games drawing to a close. I'll take ToS, Nightmare of Druaga, Crisis Zone and Katamari Damacy over games like Dead 2 Rights, I Ninja and kill.switch any day.

duckroll

Miburou said:
Xenosaga isn't really by Namco. It's developed by Monolithsoft and published by Namco.

Well neither is Baten Kaitos then. But since Namco owns like 90% of Monolithsoft.... I don't see why we can't consider them the same company. :)

Top Bottom