• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco were the ultimate kings of Fighting games intro

SSfox

I mean we can debate stuffs here and there, but when it comes to Fighting games Intros, there is no debtate, Namco in the PS1 and PS2 were just the ultimate top, best fighting games intros, and also simply some of the best intros in general, personally speaking Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 are the best CG intros ever in gaming history (yes those, hard to decide between the 2, pretty much tied) , i will never forget first time i've seen T2 intro on PSX demo disk, it was one of the first thing i've seen on PSX, the jump between stuffs like Sonic and Mario to this was just insane, and what's crazy is that even today no Fighting game intro is even close to those in term of presentation and tone.

Last edited:

SSfox

Sonic Adventure is 1999 by the way, and its intro is easily one the best from this era.

I mean that's OK intro, but there is nothing special about it tbh. Nowhere near Namco stuff in PS1 and PS2, and even for non fighting games stull like RR type 4, super iconic too, and Death By Degrees on PS2 was too good (and better than most nowadays CGI intros stuffs)

To me post Sonic after Hedgehog it's been downgrade city.

cireza

I mean that's OK intro
I mean that's your opinion ;)

kazuya-mishima-tekken.gif

Last edited:

SSfox

I mean that's your opinion ;)

kazuya-mishima-tekken.gif

Yes, i mean a good portion of people say Tekken 5 intro is the best Tekken intro, while i think it was great and above average, it still not quite as good as T2,T3 and even TTT imo, opinions. There are a lot of factors i value when it comes to opening scene (specially when it comes to fighting games), and i think early namco was the peak of this art.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

The Tekken 2 one is the best of them all.
So much story packed into each 3 second segment. It explained the characters better than any bio ever could.
The Sharon Stone Nina Williams bit in particular was mindblowing at the time - the individually hairs rendered and animated and the piano breakdown.

For all the work they put into these - most only watched them a handful of times at best.

SSfox

The Tekken 2 one is the best of them all.
So much story packed into each 3 second segment. It explained the characters better than any bio ever could.
The Sharon Stone Nina Williams bit in particular was mindblowing at the time - the individually hairs rendered and animated and the piano breakdown.

For all the work they put into these - most only watched them a handful of times at best.
This, that's one of the reason it's peak in T2 and T3. It tells the story quickly and genuinely, the music that goes with it fits perfect. Tekken 4 was also great but it presented only the new characters + Mishimas. Tekken 5 intro could have been this good, but they presented well Raven, Feng, Kaz and Hei, that gives a hint about the story in a dope stylish way, but other characters just do some pose with no background, that still looks cool but... that's it, and some others do stuffs that didn't even happen in the story (Steve fighting Hwoarang, or King and Marduk that didn't fight each other yet)

cireza

Another one that I love :

I love this type of design for the characters.

Of course I know that it does not compare in terms of complexity, simply wanted to share :)

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not gonna like the CG intros they made for PS1 games don't really hold up. I think Soul Blade was one of the better ones but even that one is kind of primitive.

SSfox

You mean king of PS1 game intros in general, Ridge Racer Type 4 still has one of the best intros.
Yeah i love this one a lot, super iconic

DBD intro on PS2 was also super incredible

Wish Bamco would hire Kojima Production for a Death By Degress 2.

SkylineRKR

Undisputed.

TTT, Soul Edge, T2, T4, SC2 etc etc. And also kings of OST. The OST's of T1, T2, TTT, Soul Edge are legendary. And what about RR4, Ace Combat and any other game they made during the PS1-PS2 era.

Top Bottom