• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA LIVE 08(360,PS3,PS2) Megathread(pics,previews,videos)

Teams:

1. Mavericks: 87
2. Suns: 87
3. Rockets: 84
4. Spurs: 83
5. Pistons: 82
6. Nets: 82
7. Nuggets: 81
8. Bulls: 80
9. Heat: 80
10. Celtics: 80
11. Cavaliers: 77
12. Lakers: 77
13. Clippers: 77
14. Kings: 77
15. Jazz: 76
16. Bobcats: 76
17. Hawks: 75
18. Knicks: 75
19. Warriors: 74
20. Wizards: 72
21. Hornets: 72
22. Bucks: 72
23. Timberwolves: 71
24. Blazers: 70
25. 76ers: 70
26. Grizzlies: 70
27. Sonics: 69
28. Raptors: 69
29. Magic: 69
30. Pacers: 67

C:

1. Tim Duncan: 91
2. Amare Stoudemire: 88
3. Shaquille O'Neal: 87
4. Yao Ming: 86
5. Ben Wallace: 78
6. Brad Miller: 76
7. Zydrunas Ilgauskas: 75
8. Marcus Camby: 75
9. Greg Oden: 75
10. Tyson Chandler: 75
11. Andrew Bogut: 75
12. Chris Kaman: 73
13. Nene: 73
14. Eddy Curry: 73
15. Alonzo Mourning: 73
16. Jamaal Magloire: 72
17. Andris Biedrins: 72
18. Mehmet Okur: 72
19. Samuel Dalembert: 72
20. Kurt Thomas: 71

PF:

1. Kevin Garnett: 92
2. Dirk Nowitzki: 90
3. Elton Brand: 89
4. Shawn Marion: 88
5. Chris Bosh: 86
6. Jermaine O'Neal: 85
7. Pau Gasol: 85
8. Dwight Howard: 85
9. Rasheed Wallace: 84
10. Lamar Odom: 83
11. Carlos Boozer: 81
12. Antawn Jamison: 80
13. Emeka Okafor: 79
14. Zach Randolph: 78
15. Al Jefferson: 77
16. Charlie Villanueva: 76
17. Kenyon Martin: 76
18. Al Harrington: 75
19. Channing Frye: 75
20. Shareef Abdur-Rahim: 75

SF:

1. LeBron James: 96
2. Paul Pierce: 89
3. Carmelo Anthony: 86
4. Josh Howard: 85
5. Rashard Lewis: 84
6. Ron Artest: 84
7. Andre Iguodala: 84
8. Richard Jefferson: 82
9. Andrei Kirilenko: 82
10. Luol Deng: 80
11. Tayshaun Prince: 79
12. Gerald Wallace: 79
13. Ricky Davis: 79
14. Corey Maggette: 79
15. Josh Smith: 78
16. Kevin Durant: 78
17. Boris Diaw: 76
18. Andres Nocioni: 76
19. Peja Stojakovic: 76
20. Danny Granger: 76

SG:

1. Kobe Bryant: 96
2. Dwyane Wade: 93
3. Tracy McGrady: 92
4. Vince Carter: 88
5. Ray Allen: 87
6. Manu Ginobili: 86
7. Jason Richardson: 85
8. Jason Terry: 85
9. Michael Redd: 85
10. Joe Johnson: 84
11. Rip Hamilton: 82
12. Ben Gordon: 80
13. Larry Hughes: 80
14. Caron Butler: 78
15. Steve Francis: 77
16. Leandro Barbosa: 77
17. Jerry Stackhouse: 76
18. Randy Foye: 76
19. Jamal Crawford: 75
20. Raja Bell: 75

PG:

1. Gilbert Arenas: 91
2. Steve Nash: 91
3. Allen Iverson: 91
4. Baron Davis: 88
5. Tony Parker: 87
6. Chris Paul: 87
7. Chauncey Billups: 86
8. Jason Kidd: 85
9. Deron Williams: 83
10. Mike Bibby: 83
11. Stephon Marbury: 83
12. Kirk Hinrich: 83
13. Jameer Nelson: 79
14. Devin Harris: 79
15. Raymond Felton: 77
16. Andre Miller: 77
17. Mike James: 76
18. TJ Ford: 76
19. Michael Conley: 75
20. Damon Stoudamire: 74

REALLY low team ratings...and I feel Warriors and the Raptors got the shaft

individual ratings, eh...I'll just wait to quote and comment

pheeniks said:
the center ratings are just stupid

going by the 20, on that list...Yao has to be number two...Camby needs more respect for getting DPOY...Curry just had a career season, he should also be higher

Fifty

The Raptors are rated 69?!? The Atlantic winners are 1 point lower than the 76ers? How do they get these ratings. Is it based solely on the mascot performance? I always knew this series was a pile of shit gameplay wise, but this just crossed the line. I hope it sells 2 copies. What a f****ing joke

Shamrock

Banned
They still make NBA Live? I thought they gave up after last year. I'd check it out, maybe a rental or something, but I'll be to busy playing 2K8.

jordan0386 said:
REALLY low team ratings...and I feel Warriors and the Raptors got the shaft

individual ratings, eh...I'll just wait to quote and comment
I thought the same thing. They are put behind a lot of teams that didn't make the playoffs last season.

icechai

wow what strange ratings. Based on the demos though this is currently the best bball game, 2K8 is ok but the graphics are kind of last gen in comparison.

Ramirez

Fifty said:
The Raptors are rated 69?!? The Atlantic winners are 1 point lower than the 76ers? How do they get these ratings. Is it based solely on the mascot performance? I always knew this series was a pile of shit gameplay wise, but this just crossed the line. I hope it sells 2 copies. What a f****ing joke

lolz, suck it down.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Those are some weird ass ratings thats for sure, not sure how the best PG in the league (Kidd) isnt even on the top 3, or how the Spurs dont have the best team rating ... but eh. Not my problem./

How about having 2 different buttons to shoot? Weird!

Raging Spaniard said:
Those are some weird ass ratings thats for sure, not sure how the best PG in the league (Kidd) isnt even on the top 3, or how the Spurs dont have the best team rating ... but eh. Not my problem./

How about having 2 different buttons to shoot? Weird!

I thought they took that out??

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
jordan0386 said:
I thought they took that out??

You played the demo right? One to shoot, one for layups/dunks

If I remember properly, of course, feel free to double check

Raging Spaniard said:
You played the demo right? One to shoot, one for layups/dunks

If I remember properly, of course, feel free to double check

No demo for me...broken 360

But I did read in a developer interview, they wanted to take it out

Raging Spaniard

jordan0386 said:
No demo for me...broken 360

But I did read in a developer interview, they wanted to take it out

I'll re-download to make sure, sorry about your 360, ya' know, things break.

Raging Spaniard

Just played it and yeah, two shot buttons. X for dunks/layups, B for regular shots

GQman2121

Banned
How the fuck is Dwight Howard only two overall points better than Lamar Odom? I'm not one to complain about ratings in sports games, because outside of the clear super stars, they really are just opinions. Howard however, is a super star. Odom is only there to take pressure off of Kobe - who's under rated at a 96 IMO. What do they have against giving someone a 99 anyway?

When compared to the 2K series, side by side, Live has been shit since it's start on the PSX. 2k basketball has only gotten better and better since 9/9/99.

I shouldn't bitch though, beacuse EA has no chance of getting any of my money for a Live game. They did hit it out of the park this season with NHL though.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
icechai said:
wow what strange ratings. Based on the demos though this is currently the best bball game, 2K8 is ok but the graphics are kind of last gen in comparison.

Currently the best bball game? What? Are you drunk?

So you pick your basketball games based on graphics? Gameplay means nothing to you? Consistent game speed means nothing? Realistic physics and player attributes mean nothing to you?

freakin junior members. Everyone is entitled to an opinion though. Even the people that buy NBA from EA.

Ragnarok

the fact that these players

are ahead of Carlos Boozer, who you could argue is better than Brand too, makes the rating system SHIT.

GQman2121

Banned
Ragnarok said:
the fact that these players

are ahead of Carlos Boozer, who you could argue is better than Brand too, makes the rating system SHIT.

I think it has more to do with the team he plays for. If he were in a big market city on either coast and he'd surely be in the high 80's. He just doesn't get the same exposure that others guys get in the league.

Boozer and J O'Neal should probably swap spots...Rasheed and Zach should swap...I dunno how K Mart, top 20, and he didnt play at all last season...With the load, the big three carry in Washington, they all should be at least 84...you give the cover boy the highest PG spot, but then, his team made the playoffs, and all they get is a 72...I hope they werent penalized for going into the playoffs unhealthy, smh

I'd love for a developer to explain the process

GQman2121 said:
I think it has more to do with the team he plays for. If he were in a big market city on either coast and he'd surely be in the high 80's. He just doesn't get the same exposure that others guys get in the league.

imo

It cant and shouldnt be that...he just went to the WCF...the ratings crew needs to give some props

No respect for the Wii? WTF?

And the strangest thing is this 2K Sports supporter who gets called a Wii basher all the time being the person to bring it up!

speculawyer said:

And the strangest thing is this 2K Sports supporter who gets called a Wii basher all the time being the person to bring it up!

The Wii version of this game isnt where it is at...so we need not waste our time

imo

speculawyer said:

False advertising OP. Not a single picture, video, or preview, just some lousy team ratings.

Klocker

dskillzhtown said:
I am looking forward to this game. I will get this next week day one.

yep

people can hate on EA all they want and I've been playing 2k for years but this redesigned LIVE 08 won me back for the good things that it does right.

it has a bright future.

sportzhead said:
False advertising OP. Not a single picture, video, or preview, just some lousy team ratings.

my bad...just piggybacked off of Big Z's idea

but I'll be sure to add reviews and plays of the day, next week...and it can be used as an impression thread if we want...it is mega, you know

Klocker said:
yep

people can hate on EA all they want and I've been playing 2k for years but this redesigned LIVE 08 won me back for the good things that it does right.

it has a bright future.

tell me one thing that live has over 2k? one!

everything i hear is just bullshit, player models, graphics, announcer. just because they don't suck as much as the rest of the game, doesn't mean they are better than 2k. have you seen the last trailer for 2k?

seriously, i thought live was a laughing joke that even the mods had given us a green light to trash.

well, i guess somebody still likes it.

last good live game that i've played was 97 on psx, don't know if am crazy or not, but even since then its been a huge pile of shit after another. and after playing this year demo, i don't understand how people can be praising the game. sseriously, i can't understand.

seattle6418 said:
tell me one thing that live has over 2k? one!

everything i hear is just bullshit, player models, graphics, announcer. just because they don't suck as much as the rest of the game, doesn't mean they are better than 2k. have you seen the last trailer for 2k?

seriously, i thought live was a laughing joke that even the mods had given us a green light to trash.

well, i guess somebody still likes it.

last good live game that i've played was 97 on psx, don't know if am crazy or not, but even since then its been a huge pile of shit after another. and after playing this year demo, i don't understand how people can be praising the game. sseriously, i can't understand.

Genesis LIVE, pure win...PS2 LIVE, very avg...imo

BUT...BUT...BUT...people like what they like

Basketball is a key aspect in my life...so while this game aint all that, I gotta think the developers are trying...I guess, they just have a different vision

Raging Spaniard

ONE thing I'll give to Live is that the faces look WAY better than in 2K. Both from a likeness to a quality modeling standpoint.

This is a bullshot, so take it with a grain of salt, but it aint too far from how it actually looks. Its impressive regardless.

FHImg.jpg

However, 2K wipes the floor on all other areas, this is a serious no brainer. Its good to see Live making improvements from 07 though, theyre trying to find their own distinct feel and its going to take them a while.

Big Zep said:
Can of worms....opened. :-/

i'm sorry, after more than 10 years stuck with live being my only option for a hoops game i feel like a prisioner that has been released. i still can't accept good and live n the same sentence. we should just forget my post and move on with the live thread.

Zep

Banned
seattle6418 said:
i'm sorry, after more than 10 years stuck with live being my only option for a hoops game i feel like a prisioner that has been released. i still can't accept good and live n the same sentence. we should just forget my post and move on with the live thread.

Yea, man just do that...Let's not do this Live/2k battle :lol A certain someone will attack. I'll edit your thing out, just put something a lil nicer in there. lol

Zep

Banned
watched 3 of those movies about 25mins ago...

-Sound quality is amazing...The whole arena feeling is there and the commentary is a big reason for that.

-Game speed looks just right. Don't care for how the lob passes look but that can be overlooked w.o a problem.

-Dark Arenas is something I will never get...I understand they did it to get 60fps but if every arena is gonna look like that, ugh.

-Everything thats resembles offensive scoring looks off. Jumpshots, layups,dunks(the worst offender), net animations, rebounding and I still saw a few rebounds drop straight to the ground(which was in the demo).

No need to talk graphics, they are what they are...great. Just thought I'd share some things that I liked and bugged me.

EA Canada...you need work

Its like you guys sacrificed everything to get this game at 60fps...looks like another 9 months of optimization...I dont get how 2k8 got arena lighting and at 60fps...tisk on that...and what up with the cut scenes, those animations need to be in real time in 09

A lot of animations need to be re written(passing, jumpers, rebounding)...but I played 06...and this looks and "feels" like 06

Reviews should be interesting

Im not buying after watching this vid

listen folks, '09 or '10 is the year LIVE will be back

jordan0386 said:
EA Canada...you need work

Its like you guys sacrificed everything to get this game at 60fps...looks like another 9 months of optimization...I dont get how 2k8 got arena lighting and at 60fps...tisk on that...and what up with the cut scenes, those animations need to be in real time in 09
Well, don't feel bad for them. Their NHL game crushes 2K's game in sales.

speculawyer said:

I do wanna give props for court spacing though...that is well done...on the other hand, they dont seem to run sets properly

You cant tell from these vids, but from what I saw on gametrailers...the graphics are really sharp on a HDTV(the scene where Areans was playing that dude)

EA Canada needs to come to the boards and ask for help, imo...a few of these "issues" seem so minor...but game development is a bitch and a half

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
speculawyer said:
Which is a shame really, as 2K's game isn't nearly as bad as some of the reviews make it otu to be.

methane47

HOLY CRap... I just saw the NBA Live 08 Commercial on TV.. and the Playstation branding was almost crazy... In the commercia itself there was an "O" on the screen for when gilbert arenas shot the ball.. also an "X" on screen when there was a pass or something

Then at the end of the commercial there wasn't a SINGLE xbox360/xbox logo... What the hell is going on?

RBH

methane47 said:
HOLY CRap... I just saw the NBA Live 08 Commercial on TV.. and the Playstation branding was almost crazy... In the commercia itself there was an "O" on the screen for when gilbert arenas shot the ball.. also an "X" on screen when there was a pass or something

Then at the end of the commercial there wasn't a SINGLE xbox360/xbox logo... What the hell is going on?

Yeah, seems as though the 360 got exclusive branding for Madden 08 while the PS3 got exclusive branding for NBA Live 08.

Not exactly the fairest of tradeoffs. :lol

I'm getting the 360 version, but i am interested in knowing how the Wii version turns out. I think it's pretty poor that this thread completely ignores its presence.

Anyway, has anyone been able to play it at some point?

_Alkaline_ said:
I'm getting the 360 version, but i am interested in knowing how the Wii version turns out. I think it's pretty poor that this thread completely ignores its presence.

Anyway, has anyone been able to play it at some point?

It just isnt as good a version as the other two, imo

I dont even want to get into it...just look at the gameplay vids

Top Bottom