• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Regular Season 2017-18 |OT| KD's chip, IT's hip, LeBron's Sinking Ship

Swaggy P looking at steph, Kerr and the whole gang

5c2.gif

Lol the cp3 comments are funny. Does anyone like the rockets?

Zach Lowe said:
Preemptive Rockets schadenfreude is flowing through the league. People love when Team Smartypants collapses amid farty chemistry, and critics are not ready to revise the narrative that Chris Paul and James Harden quake on the biggest stages. They are tapping their fingers together, Mr. Burns-style, in anticipation of the first time Paul undresses Harden for some comatose defensive blunder, grabs the ball, walks it up, and runs the slow-poke set he wants.

That will happen. But this team is going to be awesome, and a killer watch even beyond the puzzle-solving Harden and Paul have to do in learning to share the joystick.

Houston's free throw frequency fell from "unwatchable" to "normal high-volume" last season after they ditched Dwight Howard and jacked more 3s early in the shot clock. It might fall further if the league really cracks down on those fraudulent three-shot fouls, when Harden dances around a pick, feels contact, and vomits up a brick.

Paul and Harden get to flex different muscles. Paul can stand on the wing while Harden runs a pick-and-roll, wait for his defender to sag inside to help, and zoom into a slicing drive when Harden kicks him the ball. Paul sometimes runs into airborne passes, so that he's already at full speed by the time he catches it.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20849807/zach-lowe-2017-18-nba-league-pass-rankings-part-2

As a spurs fan I don’t think we will, but I do think we will take out either okc and the rockets in the finals. The rockets worried me last year. Not this year.

As long as we don't play GS in the semi we are getting to the conference finals. Harden is fools gold come playoff time but OKC does scare me.

As long as we don't play GS in the semi we are getting to the conference finals. Harden is fools gold come playoff time but OKC does scare me.

Pffftt, CP3 on his own had a ridiculous series against the Spurs, and just you fucking wait, Harden vs the Spurs last year is gonna be like Jordan vs the Pistons and LeBron vs the Mavs: the series and humiliation that unlock his potential.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Pffftt, CP3 on his own had a ridiculous series against the Spurs, and just you fucking wait, Harden vs the Spurs last year is gonna be like Jordan vs the Pistons and LeBron vs the Mavs: the series and humiliation that unlock his potential.

I just can't take your predictions seriously with that avatar.

SCChappy

Banned
Chris probably wishing that kyrie made his trade request earlier so he could be up in cleveland playing with his buddy bron bron

The only thing that Spurs/Rockets series unlocked last season was Harden's bank account at the strip club right after the game

That would have been nice. Full banana boat crew.

Would’ve also made a lot more sense than his Houston move. I mean good for them, they got a “star” to watch, but Cleveland or San Antonio with CP3 would’ve been better for him tbch. When I woke up and saw that he had gone to Houston my reaction was literally “o......k?”

The only thing that Spurs/Rockets series unlocked last season was Harden's bank account at the strip club right after the game

Harden has achieved his goal on that end already though, already has his jersey retired there. Now he just needs to play to get his jersey retired in Toyota Center

Trey

What's amazing to me is not just their offensive prowess. It's how they can do that, and still be extremely active on defense. They contest everything, switch everything, active hands, hustle as a unit. It's breathtaking to watch. They dominate on both ends of the floor.

Anderson is so weird when it comes to the GSW match-up.

On one hand, he is such a huge fucking liability on defense against them.

On the other hand, KD is the only one on that team that he can't really shoot over while shooting from a few feet behind the 3 pt line, and he always seems to do pretty well against them.

overcast

Lmao at the TNT squad trashing the rockets already for being down against the defending champs in the first game of the season.

Useless hot takes.

In all seriousness, what's the point of Paul if Harden is continuing to play the point guard position with both of them on the court? That looks to be what was happening for the start of the 3rd

Hope the Chinese guy gets some burn

Honestly, I've gotten surprisingly hype about him, he looks like he's gonna be a serious steal in a few years, and like he might get minutes in the NBA way before anyone else expected.

That being said, he's probably a garbage time player for now

In all seriousness, what's the point of Paul if Harden is continuing to play the point guard position with both of them on the court? That looks to be what was happening for the start of the 3rd

It's definitely awkward.

The ideal situation is that one of them plays off-ball of the other (something that they should be pretty damn good at, even if they aren't as used to it for large amounts of time). Then, when one player fucks up the defense and makes a lay-up/alley-oop/pass out for a 3, it looks like we're just having one of those players stand out in the corner or something, but if that initial attempt can't generate a good enough shot, the secondary point guard now can work with the defense and the primary point guard switches to playing off-ball.

Think back to that Thunder series (and Spurs series too), where the Thunder kept trapping Harden, so he would always pass out to one of Beverley, Gordon, or Lou Williams. It wasn't something you saw that much of, especially in the regular season, when Harden on his own could normally get it done, but when the defenses tightened up, having that secondary play-maker could add a great dynamic feel to the Rockets offense.

Essentially, that secondary playmaker is now one of Harden or CP3. It's not something that you see TOOOO often, because normally just one of them is enough. But when one CP3 or Harden IS that number 2, it's that much more potent.

Now, the Thunder and Spurs series were more of those teams trapping Harden near half-court, then oftentimes a high screen or some other method of Harden getting it out and the Rockets then trying to ideally play 4 vs 3 basketball.

But if CP3 and Harden really gel, I think the situation I described where both players are involved in the play could also happen.

Fjordson

I really like Jordan Bell. Looks like the shellshocked rookie that he is at times, but he fits well with this team. Think he could become pretty solid.

It's telling that, despite never playing in an NBA game before, we're already seeing him more than Looney and Damian Jones (two 1st round picks).

Honestly, I've gotten surprisingly hype about him, he looks like he's gonna be a serious steal in a few years, and like he might get minutes in the NBA way before anyone else expected.

That being said, he's probably a garbage time player for now

I.

He may be 7'1", but he's like 175Lbs. Needs to put on some muscle and get to at least 230lbs before he can withstand the muscle in the paint

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I really like Jordan Bell. Looks like the shellshocked rookie that he is at times, but he fits well with this team. Think he could become pretty solid.

It's telling that, despite never playing in an NBA game before, we're already seeing him more than Looney and Damian Jones (two 1st round picks).
I just told my kids that almost word for word.

Top Bottom