• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Regular Season 2017-18 |OT| KD's chip, IT's hip, LeBron's Sinking Ship

Gordon's injury was gruesome. I hate seeing any player go down, especially like that. Brown looked damn good, kid is still only 20 and looks like he can ball with the big boys now. Tatum looked good, too. It'll be exciting to watch these two grow this year. C's need to hit some threes ffs. That was an ugly shooting night. Heard on the radio this morning that Gordon could return this year, but just a radio interview with Mike Gorman, nothing official.

Ensoul

Gordon's injury was gruesome. I hate seeing any player go down, especially like that. Brown looked damn good, kid is still only 20 and looks like he can ball with the big boys now. Tatum looked good, too. It'll be exciting to watch these two grow this year. C's need to hit some threes ffs. That was an ugly shooting night. Heard on the radio this morning that Gordon could return this year, but just a radio interview with Mike Gorman, nothing official.

I think the primary diagnosis was somewhat positive (all things considered) between the Boston and Cleveland doctors. Hayward is having surgery today so we will find out more then when they really see what is going on.

After seeing that though I have no idea how it is even possible he plays again this season.

bionic77

If there is no ligament damage he will be back on the court in a year and fully recovered within 2 years (it takes an extra year to get your mind right in my own limited experience unless you are an insane person like Kobe). A lot of ifs of course in that statement.

I am now obligated to root for Hayward after seeing that live so I sincerely hope he gets traded because it is against my religion to root for the Celtics. Hopefully he goes to the Raptors as they are becoming my favorite team in the East (even though they always disappoint).

Now the long wait for the official start of the Ball era begins. I will have to sustain myself seeing if the Sixers decided to become a real basketball team tonight. I checked out of the NBA after that injury last night but I am back in!

JWiLL

Banned
tumblr_oy0driyblP1qc9n6mo1_540.png

This dude looks like Klay and Hedo Turkoglu's lovechild.

word?

can't find anything on this

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21057093/gordon-hayward-suffers-leg-injury-boston-celtics-debut

ESPN's Michael Wilbon reported after the game that Hayward would have surgery Wednesday. But Hayward's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski that Hayward would evaluate a course of action for surgical scenarios Wednesday after undergoing MRI and CT exams in the morning.

Don't think we'll know anything for certain until Stevens talks at 4:30.

bionic77

It was insane how calm Heyward was after his leg snapped in half.

The Cavs bench reaction was how I felt WATCHING it. Can't imagine what it was like to live through that.

bionic77

Adrenaline rush perhaps if you mean in terms of pain on how he remained calm.
I have broken bones (though not as badly as him).

I can see someone dealing with a break calmly.

But seeing your fucking leg bent in half I would think would scare the shit out of most people. Even more so if you were an NBA player.

I hope he gets a full recovery but if he doesn't I am glad he just signed that contract.

danke

on one hand it makes sense waiting for MRI and CT scan, on the other you want to intervene hastly on a fracture

fucked up situation...that tree cracking sound was haunting...

Been listing to the locate Boston MA sports station 98.5 the sports hub and they mentioned that. Of course who knows how right they are.

Yeah after seeing his leg I don't see how there is no ligament damage.

gotcha

But seeing your fucking leg bent in half I would think would scare the shit out of most people. Even more so if you were an NBA player.

I hope he gets a full recovery but if he doesn't I am glad he just signed that contract.

I broke my ankle in an extremely brutal way from skateboarding when I was 16, as in my entire ankle was twisted 180 degrees and bones were completely shattered. I was extremely calm, and my friends kept saying they couldn't believe how calm I was. I was shocked too, but your body just masks the initial pain and shock.

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Nafai1123

Banned
Hayward injury.
Draymond injury.

If those turn out to be big deals that's going to change the outlook for LeBron big time. Celtics lose arguably their best player and the Warriors lose their best defender. So now instead of having to play a somewhat competitive team in the ECF they can cake walk again and then in the finals they can play a GS without that defensive force.

All speculative of course.

No way Dray is out that long.

VeeP

Pure shock. Dude was probably asking himself what happened, where does the season go from here, where do I go from here, etc.

bionic77

Well reading the replies I guess it is not that shocking that he just sat there calmly.

I would assume though that most people would be freaking the fuck out but I guess it is one of those things you don't know how you would react until it happens to you and you hope that it never happens to you.

Tom Penny

Sucks so bad. I mean i know they weren't winning the title but 6 minutes in your chances become near zero of even getting there is tough to swallow. Jaylen and Tatum are going to get big minutes now so i guess it could help in the long run. There lack of offense is going to kill them. That's were the Hayward loss is irreplaceable. Nobody to shoot and create offense other than Kyrie.

Chase17

Sucks so bad. I mean i know they weren't winning the title but 6 minutes in your chances become near zero of even getting there is tough to swallow. Jaylen and Tatum are going to get big minutes now so i guess it could help in the long run. There lack of offense is going to kill them. That's were the Hayward loss is irreplaceable. Nobody to shoot and create offense other than Kyrie.

Get ready for 18 shots from Smart a game.

Outside of that painful Hayward injury, Tatum is the first Celtics player to record a double double in their first game since Larry Bird!!

Get ready for 18 shots from Smart a game.

God help us.

He has been trying to fix his jumper this summer but we will see as this season unfolds.

Hayward injury.
Draymond injury.

If those turn out to be big deals that's going to change the outlook for LeBron big time. Celtics lose arguably their best player and the Warriors lose their best defender. So now instead of having to play a somewhat competitive team in the ECF they can cake walk again and then in the finals they can play a GS without that defensive force.

Isn't Dray out for a game max? I'm confused.

Hayward injury is still brutal :'(

Ensoul

Do a shot per miss. Pass out by the first quarter every game. Asshole went 0-9 first half on his usual terrible shot selection smh

I was getting so pissed at Smart last night. He did end up playing much better the second half but he was brutal at times. He is one of the worst shooters in NBA history and I don't see that ever changing.

I was getting so pissed at Smart last night. He did end up playing much better the second half but he was brutal at times. He is one of the worst shooters in NBA history and I don't see that ever changing.

It's a slump, he just needs to shoot his way out of it.

mnannola

Other than a freaking horrible injury to Gordon, that was a great night of Basketball! I have no idea how the Rockets pulled that one out.

Agreed, wish him a speedy recovery.. in the meantime he should just relax and play some destiny 2 (huge gamer btw)

Hayward injury.
Draymond injury.

Dray's not going to be out for an extended time, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. And, if he were to miss the season, GSW would be far from a lock to make the finals. He's the one guy they can't lose. They have nobody that can replicate what he does for that team.

I have no idea how the Rockets pulled that one out.

No Iggy and Draymond going down in the 3rd would be a good place to start. Them's two elite defenders.

I don't think you rush Hayward back. Punt this season. I know it's not the same injury (no ligament damage would be a godsend for Gordon) I still have nightmares about Grant Hill's career effectively ending because he rushed back from a badly sprained ankle too soon. Don't mess around. The silver lining is that it will probably force Jaylen and Tatum to develop faster, and if Hayward can make a recovery for 2018-19, the team might end up being better off in the long run.

I don't think you rush Hayward back. Punt this season. I know it's not the same injury (no ligament damage would be a godsend for Gordon) I still have nightmares about Grant Hill's career effectively ending because he rushed back from a badly sprained ankle too soon. Don't mess around. The silver lining is that it will probably force Jaylen and Tatum to develop faster, and if Hayward can make a recovery for 2018-19, the team might end up being better off in the long run.

There's no way they rush him back. If he's ready at some point this season that would be great but the goal should be a return whenever he's 100% ready to go.

Umbooki

boston might miss the playoffs unless tatum gets good really fast. jaylen brown is horrible outside of transition buckets.
Barring a freak Kyrie injury, they're a lock for the playoffs. There just aren't enough good teams in the East.

Cavs
Wizards
Raps
Heat
Bucks
Celtics
76ers
Pistons? Can't even think of an 8th team that deserves it.

That's not a ranking by any means, but I was just spitting out whatever playoff team came to mind. Unless I'm forgetting something or somebody, those are the only Eastern rosters with rosters that can hold up after 82 games.

There's no way they rush him back. If he's ready at some point this season that would be great but the goal should be a return whenever he's 100% ready to go.

I can't imagine a scenario where he's back before next season. Once the bone fully heals, he'll be looking at extensive physical therapy to build the strength back up in the ankle and to get full range of motion back. Then he'll need to get into some sort of basketball shape after being laid up for months.

Gigglepoo

Paul George did come back the same season he had his horrific injury. But, his injury happened in the summer, he played only a handful of regular season games, and he was on a severe minutes restriction. Even if Hayward is healthy, don't expect him to play any significant time.

Barring a freak Kyrie injury, they're a lock for the playoffs. There just aren't enough good teams in the East.

Cavs
Wizards
Raps
Heat
Bucks
Celtics
76ers
Pistons? Can't even think of an 8th team that deserves it.

That's not a ranking by any means, but I was just spitting out whatever playoff team came to mind. Unless I'm forgetting something or somebody, those are the only Eastern rosters with rosters that can hold up after 82 games.

swap celtics with the hornets

kyrie has to score 28 a game for that offense to be average and they have no defensive role players aside from smart

I think Gorman said that there was no ligament damage but I'm not sure I'm ready to believe that.

I think the primary diagnosis was somewhat positive (all things considered) between the Boston and Cleveland doctors. Hayward is having surgery today so we will find out more then when they really see what is going on.

After seeing that though I have no idea how it is even possible he plays again this season.

Paul George did come back the same season he had his horrific injury. But, his injury happened in the summer, he played only a handful of regular season games, and he was on a severe minutes restriction. Even if Hayward is healthy, don't expect him to play any significant time.

Yeah, it was no ligament damage and a "clean break". It was far from anything official just heard him on 98.5 this morning driving into work. It's such a shame to see a big name player go down. I love the Celtics, but even when guys on other teams go down it sucks. We went from legit contender for a spot in the Finals to a likely #4-#6 seed in half of a quarter.

The only possible silver lining out of all of this is that it's going to give a ton of playing time to Brown and Tatum, which is great for the long term and will help them develop. Hope Hayward can come back and is OK mentally from all of this. He loses a year of his prime and has a long recovery ahead.

Top Bottom