• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K8 Season 5 Interest Thread (360)

Smokey

Feels a bit strange creating the league seeing how I was a rookie 2 seasons ago before coming in and shocking the GAF sports world w/ back-back championships but here we are, as the quest for a 3 peat begins:D :D

We've taken about a month break from this game, which last season ran about 3 months and was 24 games. Had a little bit of drama, and had an exciting finish the last few weeks of the season for playoffs seedings.

A lot of people have expressed to me the desire for a shorter season, so for season 5 I'll probably set the number of games at 16 instead of 24. Only thing lower than 16 is 8. . . and that wouldn't be very fun.

So post here if you all are interested in playing in another league(vets) and if you'd like to keep the same team you've been using, and if you're new and would like to join you can do so as well keep in mind that you'll have to pick your team after the vets do.

*Please don't join if you don't think you'll be able to finish. Last season we made it through the entire season w/ only 1 drop and it was quite enjoyable*.
---

I'm debating if I wanna run with the Magic again or go with the Suns.

Settings:

Hall of Fame difficulty
8 minute quarters
16 game season
Best of 5 playoff series
Trades ON (deadline is week 8)
Scheduling - normal

Rules

This league is not a cheese-ball affair. Not saying that you have to run a play everytime you bring the ball up the court but we want to make sure this game is played with some simulation aspects. Everybody has a different opinion on what sim ball is and that's fine, just please use your best judgment. If we wanted to play with people using exploits and other cheese we'd play random people, the whole point of a league is to avoid that style of play. This game is one of the best sports games out there when it is played the right way.

-50 points in paint allowed. Excludes 2nd chance points and fast break points. So if I have 60 total PIP but 10 of those came from 2nd chance buckets then I am ok. 50 points is plenty to have in paint.

-No trapping outside of the paint

-Full court pressure allowed if down by 10 points, otherwise you wait at half court for your opponent to bring the ball up.

-When a timeout is called, do not press A to skip ahead. This time is used for changing lineups etc, and if you skip ahead your opponent could get screwed because the game will send in whoever you had already in your lineup when making subs at the time your opponent pressed A. Just be patient.

-If you are up by 15-20, do not rub it in your opponent's face by playing your starters because you wanna see how many points you can get with a particular player. We had some issues with this last season so let's try and keep this in check in season 5. Everybody is competitive, but we can still show some sportsmanship.

-We will play a minimum of 2 games a week. Maybe more depending on the flow of games that week, but at least 2.

*Again if you don't think you'll be able to finish the season please don't sign up. I've cut the amount of games from 24 to 16 so please only sign up if you intend to stay.*

GamerTags

Smokey Bones - dboythagr8
AirBrian - AirBrian
AKAball - Akaballa2k
CB3 - ColdBlooded3
DCX - DCX gaf
Matrix - matrixadw
Shawnwhann - Professa Skillz
GCQuinton - Wsv771
BigBlackGamer - Big Black Gamer
Dark Faze - Phatal FaZe
ChrisJames - MightbeWrong
Truelize - Truelize
vumpler - SpoonKillah
Cerrius - Cerrius

Teams

Smokey - Magic
Matrix - Rockets
CB3 - Lakers
AirBrian - Bulls
Quinton - Jazz
DCX - Knicks
Shawn - Spurs
akaballa - Nuggets
Dark Faze - Sonics
BigBlackGamer - mavs
vumpler - Grizz
ChrisJames - Pistons
Truelize- Celtics
Cerrius - Heat

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Rockets,this time I'm using YAOzers.

Smokey

CB3 wait and see if Shawn is playing this season first, and if he is if he wants to keep the Lakers.

Smokey - Magic/Suns
Matrix - Rockets
CB3 - Lakers*
AirBrian - Bulls

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Smokey Bones said:
CB3 wait and see if Shawn is playing this season first, and if he is if he wants to keep the Lakers.

Smokey - Magic/Suns
Matrix - Rockets
CB3 - Lakers*
AirBrian - Bulls

i let him use the lakers last season. they are mine this time

CB can loan the Lakers this season. Me with the Lakers this season with both Gasol and Bynum would equal an undefeated season for sure, and that's no fun for everyone!

I'll take the San Antonio Spurs.

CB3 said:
i let him use the lakers last season. they are mine this time

BTW, "let" me my ass! We played an exhibition game for them where I earned them fair and square! This here...is me letting you have them! :D

Smokey

Smokey - Magic/Suns
Matrix - Rockets
CB3 - Lakers
AirBrian - Bulls
Quinton - Jazz
DCX - Knicks
Shawn - Spurs

Dark Faze what team would you be interested in?

Shawnwhann said:
CB can loan the Lakers this season. Me with the Lakers this season with both Gasol and Bynum would equal an undefeated season for sure, and that's no fun for everyone!

:lol

Smokey

Dark FaZe said:
Memphis Grizzlies

I'll go ahead and add you on, I don't think anybody was going to go after the Grizz.

Smokey - Magic/Suns
Matrix - Rockets
CB3 - Lakers
AirBrian - Bulls
Quinton - Jazz
DCX - Knicks
Shawn - Spurs
Dark Faze - Grizz

Smokey

DCX said:
When is this going to start?

DCX

Next week if that's cool with everybody.

I'm waiting to here back from ChrisJames and AKA if they want to play or not before I create the league.

Smokey

Smokey - Magic/Suns
Matrix - Rockets
CB3 - Lakers
AirBrian - Bulls
Quinton - Jazz
DCX - Knicks
Shawn - Spurs
akaballa - Celtics

Dark Faze - Grizz
BigBlackGamer - mavs*

I'll leave this open until Wednesday night before I create the league.

The OP has been updated with rules and settings. For the new guys I'll need you to post your GamerTags.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Smokey Bones said:
I'll go ahead and add you on, I don't think anybody was going to go after the Grizz.

Smokey - Magic/Suns
Matrix - Rockets
CB3 - Lakers
AirBrian - Bulls
Quinton - Jazz
DCX - Knicks
Shawn - Spurs
Dark Faze - Grizz
Damn I was going to try and enter as the Grizzlies :( I'm from Nashville.

Smokey

AkaBalla said:
Smokey i want the Nuggets...

I was saying when 2k9 drops ill be running with my Celts..

GT: AkaBalla2k

fixed. OP has been updated.

vumpler said:
Damn I was going to try and enter as the Grizzlies :( I'm from Nashville.

Do you still want in or no?

vumpler

Smokey Bones said:
Do you still want in or no?
I wouldn't enter the league if there was even a chance of me not completing it and being fully dedicated. However without the grizzlies I don't think I would care to much to play. If something comes up and Dark Faze also likes playing with another team, then i would join in a heartbeat.

I'm not asking him to just drop the team he really likes or anything like that. I'm just saying if it happens to be one of those situations where he likes playing with any team, and wouldn't mind using another team: then I'm in.

Smokey

vumpler said:
I wouldn't enter the league if there was even a chance of me not completing it and being fully dedicated. However without the grizzlies I don't think I would care to much to play. If something comes up and Dark Faze also likes playing with another team, then i would join in a heartbeat.

I'm not asking him to just drop the team he really likes or anything like that. I'm just saying if it happens to be one of those situations where he likes playing with any team, and wouldn't mind using another team: then I'm in.

He was kind enough to take the Sonics so I guess the Grizz are yours. Need your GT.

Dark FaZe said:
It's cool. I'll take the Sonics.

Cool, what's your GT btw?

I think I'll take one more GAFfer before I close it up, that'll give us 12 members which is a pretty decent size.

I'm in. On my honeymoon right now, so I almost missed out on joining the league... Damn you AKA for taking my Nuggets :lol Just kidding, I was thinking of switching it up anyways.

I'll go with the Pistons.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
cheese is best left on sandwiches huh? i wonder who thats in reference to...

CB3 said:
cheese is best left on sandwiches huh? i wonder who thats in reference to...

Why are you starting drama CB?!? Unlike you, I welcome all of our new and old friends to the leagues here. And unlike you again, I have every reason to believe that we'll have a great season minus the serious drama habitual cheesers inflict on random games. It's not like we have any grizzly individuals here affliated with Sharkwaters or anything...geez!!!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

vumpler

Shawnwhann said:
Why are you starting drama CB?!? Unlike you, I welcome all of our new and old friends to the leagues here. And unlike you again, I have every reason to believe that we'll have a great season minus the serious drama habitual cheesers inflict on random games. It's not like we have any grizzly individuals here affliated with Sharkwaters or anything...geez!!!
I will tea bag you in your sleep . Even though I probably won't win a game or have any way to back it up in this league, it's still justified.

Smokey

ChrisJames said:
I'm in. On my honeymoon right now, so I almost missed out on joining the league... Damn you AKA for taking my Nuggets :lol Just kidding, I was thinking of switching it up anyways.

I'll go with the Pistons.

Cool, I got you in.

We're at 12 players right now so I'm going to close it off. 16 is the next number it goes to from 12 and I don't think we'll get that much. I'll make the league either tonight or tomorrow, and then PM you all the password.

--

I don't want to be an ass, but I really would like everyone to follow the rules, leave the cheese out etc. If I receive complaints from your opponents(legitimate complaints) I will probably say something to you through a PM. After that I'm gettin' my boot ready. Of course if you play in line with the rules and with sportsmanship etc; you won't have anything to worry about.

That is all:D

DCX

DCX
I have one thing to add. Due to the NBA 's love of NY, you all must give the Knicks a 6 point handicap. Thank you. That is all.

DCX

Matrix

DCX said:
I have one thing to add. Due to the NBA 's love of NY, you all must give the Knicks a 6 point handicap. Thank you. That is all.

DCX

If you sucked at the game I would give you that rule,but you don't suck sooooooo I'll just :lol at that.

DCX

DCX
Dark FaZe said:
Just one question about the rules.

Does this mean no double teaming outside of the paint?
Depends. I'm sure if Crawford was lighting you up that you would try to double in certain situations just to try to get the ball out of his hands but use your judgment. I usually double down in the paint on the premier post men like Howard or Duncan, even Yao, but i usually get burn with good ball movement that leads to an open three or a vicious and one Shaq like dunk so who knows. Avoid random shit like intentional fouling on a clear fast break...the game doesn't call it intentional and you won't get the ball and free throw :/ Full court pressing and other glitchy things that are well documented.

DCX

DCX

DCX
Matrix said:
If you sucked at the game I would give you that rule,but you don't suck sooooooo I'll just :lol at that.
I do suck, what makes you think i'm any good? I have won one championship in all the years i have been in GAF leagues and that was in MLB 2K7 like season 3 or 4. I feel like i should be getting better but i'm not, at least in Madden and NBA i aint. I'm stuck :/

DCX

Matrix

You play well enough with a shitty ass Knicks team,thats why you don't suck.

Texans suck ass in Madden and I usually play half way decent,I would like to think I don't suck based on that.

Top Bottom