• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nbots try to inflate Zelda:OOT score at Gamerankings to keep it #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bheemer

RPGamer 11/5/2004 10 out of 10 100.0%
Gamestyle 11/5/2004 10 out of 10 100.0%

Despite this Halo 2 #1 atm.

Link to the past is better anyway :D

So are these the dates they were added to GameRankings or the dates of the reviews? If the reviews were there beforehand, who cares? Find more Halo 2 reviews if you care that much.

bheemer

those are the dates for the reviews and the dates they were added to gamerankings. you would think gamerankings would know better.

Speevy

Banned
Halo 2 doesn't have a chance of keeping that score, simply because OoT already received 10's from IGN and Gamespot.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
deadlifter said:
hilariously pathetic.

I agree, but only halfway. For GameRankings to be comprehensive it really SHOULD list every source that reviewed a game, or the percentage isn't accurate.q

bheemer said:
those are the dates for the reviews and the dates they were added to gamerankings. you would think gamerankings would know better.

Just asking because theres no date on the RPGgamers Ocarina of Time reviews, and I can't even find it on Gamestyle. Given they are supposedly new content you'd think they'd be front page stuff on each site. They're not.

Deg

Banned
GDJustin said:
I agree, but only halfway. For GameRankings to be comprehensive it really SHOULD list every source that reviewed a game, or the percentage isn't accurate.q

It is simply an imperfect concept. But a fun one at that judging by this forum ;)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wario64 said:
who gives a shit (the gamerankings ranks that is)

Lamewads who use the gamerankings score as a valid point in an argument.

SantaC

wait OoT score: 97.0% 98.5% has been there forever, so I don't see that anything has changed anyway.

border

Speevy said:
Halo 2 doesn't have a chance of keeping that score, simply because OoT already received 10's from IGN and Gamespot.
AFAIK, Gamerankings doesn't weight the scores. Someone can easily counteract the Halo 2 or OoT reviews by posting a radically high or low number on some lame homemade web page.

It will be far easier to influence the OoT score however, since there aren't as many sources contributing to the average. Shouldn't be long now before Xbot sites start posting 50% scores for Zelda :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I see two staff reviews for OoT at RPGGamers, an 8.5 and a 10. I didn't see any dates on them, however.

Rhindle

Glancing at those reviews, it's pretty clear they were written a long time ago. Seems more like Gamerankings went out looking for more reviews to post.

SantaC

Rhindle said:
Glancing at those reviews, it's pretty clear they were written a long time ago. Seems more like Gamerankings went out looking for more reviews to post.

yes my thoughts, they have been there forever. why is the dates changed anyway?

Stele

Holds a little red book
border said:
AFAIK, Gamerankings doesn't weight the scores. Someone can easily counteract the Halo 2 or OoT reviews by posting a radically high or low number on some lame homemade web page.

It will be far easier to influence the OoT score however, since there aren't as many sources contributing to the average. Shouldn't be long now before Xbot sites start posting 50% scores for Zelda :D
Q. What does it take to get a site included in the composite score of Game Rankings?
A. This is the most commonly asked question. The things I look for when adding a new site are:
At Least 150 archived reviews if they review multiple systems or 50 reviews if they concentrate on only one system or genre.
The site does at least 10 reviews a month.
The site is visually appealing and looks professional.
The site reviews a variety of titles.
The site has it's own domain name and is not hosted on GeoCities or another free server.
The reviews need to be well written!

I don't really see how Nintendo fans are influencing anything. Sites like RPGamer are certainly very neutral. I think its pathetic anyone cares, and this time, it doesn't even look like its Nintendo fans.

thorns

Banned
AFAIK gamerankings.com scores are weighted..
print magazines and sites like ign/gamespot have higher weight than websites like "rpgdream.com".
it was mentioned in an interview the gamerankings.com guy.

Socreges

Banned
Gamestyle has a Retro section where they've rated two other N64 games: Super Mario 64 and Rocket: Robot on Wheels. This is the first time they've done OoT. Coincidence? I dunno. I suspect it was written a long time ago, though.

The RPGamer reviewer doesn't seem the type to be concerned about OoT being #1.

[edit] It was also written in 2000.

snapty00

Banned
Maybe they should institute a rule about WHEN a review can be written, too...maybe within two months of its release?

Arcticfox

RPGamer scores aren't even used in the main rankings, so I don't see what the problem is.

I see no date on the Gamerstyle review, but they do occasional retro reviews of popular games released before the site existed so it is possible it is new. I don't see a problem with a newer site reviewing a classic.

SantaC

snapty00 said:
Maybe they should institute a rule about WHEN a review can be written, too...maybe within two months of its release?

the RPG gamer review was written 10.10.00

in year 2000.

and it's not used in main rankings.

Deku Tree

snapty00 said:

That wouldn't help. They could instead start giving low ball scores to the new game.

snapty00

Banned
Deku Tree said:
That wouldn't help. They could instead start giving low ball scores to the new game.
I dunno. I just think it'd make more sense if everyone were in the same time period, whether that's two months after its release or two years after its release. It's tacky to have some reviews at some times and other at other times.

SantaC

actually i don't know why everybody is upset since these reviews seem to be old, and wont affect it's main score.

Mejilan

snapty00 said:
That's more than 2 months after its release, anyway, just like I said.

It's release in which region? Didn't OoT come out a bit later in Europe? (I know it came out roughly around the same time in the USA and Japan.)

Hell, I was living in Israel when OoT came out, and I f-cking didn't get my copy (American import) until December. It was an American import, and there were no Euro versions available then yet.

lexi

Banned
Gamerankings No. 3 placed game is a Game Boy Color game. I don't think GR is the be-all and end-all of ranking a game.

Having said that, Halo 2 will go down. Just a few days ago San Adreas was at No. 2 spot.

lockii said:
Gamerankings No. 3 placed game is a Game Boy Color game. I don't think GR is the be-all and end-all of ranking a game.

Having said that, Halo 2 will go down. Just a few days ago San Adreas was at No. 2 spot.

It was number 1 for awhile till Christian Game Reviews gave it a 6 because "CJ has lost track of God in his life". :p

Mejilan

Metal Gear Solid for the GBC was one of the best games on that platform, and my personal favorite MG game. Having it as number 3 on a list of top reviewed titles is no badge of shame.

Mejilan

snapty00 said:
Whichever is first.

What about games that come out in Japan like a year before its US and/or Euro releases? Game Rankings should close before the games even come out here?

Code_Link

Haha, Halo 2 won't be # 1. There's a reason why Metroid isn't higher in the list, and that's because it has 103 reviews. The more reviews a game has, the lower the average. Halo 2 will have more reviews than OoT.

This is by far the dumbest post of the year. You do realize that the RPGamer review is from 1998?! You do realize that RPGamer has been around long before Xbox or Halo was even a dot on Microsoft's radar?

snapty00 said:

i got a better idea: Stop giving such a shit about gamerankings and game review scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom