• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2005 impressions and screens! 5 more days, fellas!

DMczaf

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox/801/NCAA-Football-2005/p1

EA’s goal with their sports title’s Dynasty modes was first discovered with this year’s MVP Baseball. The idea is to have player’s morale have a greater impact over the performance of the complete team. The concept can be called synergy, where the sum of the parts is usually greater than the whole, that is, if every cylinder is properly firing. In the world of collegiate football, there are (supposedly) no contract extensions to fret over or mental anguish from being sent to NFL Europe, wondering how you’re gonna learn Spanish in a week. College football players mainly have to worry about not succumbing to the temptations that may get them in disciplinary trouble and keeping their grades up. NCAA Football 2005 has a much deeper Dynasty mode than last year mainly due to the way in which directors can monitor the personality of the player and make decisions based on off-field incidents as any good director would do. This may mean benching the star player in order to restore team chemistry. Or, the likelihood of incidences can be lessened by properly recruiting the high school players who have a little brains to go along with the brawn. Playing time even becomes a factor in college ball since even these young players realize that the exposure they get in college can lead to dollar signs later on in life. A young player may make the decision to jump camp and transfer to a school that they know will offer them more PT. The job of a proficient Dynasty director is to keep a rotating roster which will ensure that up-and-coming players feel wanted, without jeopardizing checks in the win column. This is especially important when drafting players for physical ability instead of on a positional basis. Just like many young recruits, their skills aren’t polished at a specific position so coaches may help them find their calling with professional position coaching. This tends to mean a lot of bench time until the player and coaches find the right slot on the roster which can easily lead to discouragement, and eventually a transfer. Keeping people happy works in all facets of business, and NCAA Football 2005’s Dynasty mode follows this same principle to provide a gentle twist on ho-hum roster management.

1088518916.jpg
1088518918.jpg
1088518915.jpg
1088518919.jpg

Wow this game looks great on Xbox!

Meier

I might end up biting the bullet and buying this too. :\ I didnt much care for Full Spectrum Warrior so maybe I will just sell that on Ebay.

An astute kicker with NCAA experience (hence a higher composure rating) will laugh at any attempt to rattle him with a T.O. before a game winning kick. A mentally tough player may only lose a few accuracy points in the most tense of situations. A kicker fresh out of ju-co that broke his scholarship for the other sport they call football is in big trouble in the same situation. If this kicker had a respectable accuracy rating of 85, it would plummet like the NASDAQ during the dot-com fiasco; all the way down to 60 or so. Believe us, we lost an online game because of a shaky-legged red shirt.

cooooooool.

Meier

Ramirez said:
Too awesome (the kicker thing)...ugh I'm about fed up with waiting for this game,I want it now damnit :(

Sounds a little too real for my tastes.. hits close to home as you know.

baby-crying.jpg

Steve from OS is giving good info on the game. Says theirs no slowdown in the X-Box version, save for after a play is over here and there...says the running game is better (toss plays work and you can't defend the run with nickel/dime)...the main thing that strikes out at me are the composure ratings and how your team can change during the course of play...pretty friggin cool.

shpankey

not an idiot
You've been able to defend the run with Dime in Madden and NCAA for like ever. I hope it's true that is fixed. That is probably the single biggest flaw in both series ever, and it's been there forever.

In fact, I can defend the run with only 3 down linemen in 2004 versions. I am sooo glad to hear you say that's been fixed! Awesome awesome.

shpankey said:
You've been able to defend the run with Dime in Madden and NCAA for like ever. I hope it's true that is fixed. That is probably the single biggest flaw in both series ever, and it's been there forever.

In fact, I can defend the run with only 3 down linemen in 2004 versions. I am sooo glad to hear you say that's been fixed! Awesome awesome.

I think it was a video from team x-box that showcased a toss play working for some good yards against a nickel D. My main gripe with NCAA last year was that toss plays never, ever worked. I am happy about this news.

Ramirez

I just hope its true this year,seems I vividly remember people saying tosses worked last year(which they didn't) and you couldn't stop the run with Nickel/Dime,but in the end you could. =\

yup shpankey. the biggest gripe i had in last years madden was the fact that you could lineup in the quarters D, spread out your line, and pretty much get instant pressure on the QB rushing only 3 guys because the outside lineman wouldn't block well. i hope they fixed it this year...

another gripe i had last year w/ madden is that they rated dorsey below a 70, and i believe Rat was a 76 with the last update... 76? give me a fucking break dude. Rat is at least a 90... 8! a 98! fix the ratings EA!

Ramirez said:
I just hope its true this year,seems I vividly remember people saying tosses worked last year(which they didn't) and you couldn't stop the run with Nickel/Dime,but in the end you could. =\

Well, I've seen a few vids of tosses working. The guy on OS said they work if the D isn't in "the right formation". The one toss that I do remember seeing work is when the D was in nickel formation. I think its on one of the new teamxbox vids.

No in game saves. When will they put this feature in? Ah well, aside from that I am absolutely frothing at the mouth for this game. It will own me for months and months with its Dynasty feature and online games.

Fifty

It's just stupid that they left that feature out...yet again. Argh. I'm going to be spending so much time online, and that feature would have given me the freedom to finish games whenever I'd like. Stupid.

Meier

Ramirez said:
The first person I whip in this game must wear this Avatar on the forum :p

rix.jpg

I wish that were the official boxart so he'd go down with a career-ending injury early in the season. :(

Ramirez

Sweet Jesus ain't that the truth!!I'll be so glad when Chris Pix is gone :( But I don't like the prospect of Fabian Walker either (if he's still even there,don't know).I liked MacPherson personally,but he was a Criminole more than anything :p

impirius

Ramirez said:
The first person I whip in this game must wear this Avatar on the forum :p

rix.jpg

:D
NCAA Football 2005: now with new career mode! Try the EA Parking Challenge... just try to avoid the handicapped spaces! Customize your player's EA Alarm Clock settings so he doesn't miss that important make-up exam!

Ramirez

Customize your player's EA Alarm Clock settings so he doesn't miss that important make-up exam!

We would have beaten Georgia damnit if he hadn't of fucked up with that exam :(

The one thing I saw in the newest videos is a problem EA has yet to fix.

On many plays, the guys upfield will not engage a defender in a block. It seems that they just run and get in the guys face, instead of running up and mauling the guy. It'd be awesome to see your tackle get to the second level and steamroll a LB, instead of just kind of running alongside him. They improved it somewhat last year, but this year it looks similar.

It's not a game killer, but it is a point of frustration when you try to run it outside for a first down, and have your lineman running around with their thumb up their ass.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
nichols.jpg

I hope some of you busters try to rattle the returning Lou Groza Award Winner Jonathan Nichols. Please. No, really.

Top Bottom