• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need advice on buying an HDTV, klee you around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now that I've moved into a nice new place, I'm looking to add a nice new tv to it. So I'm thinking of taking the HDTV plunge and have been reading around quite a bit on the avsforum. Right now I'm planning to use it for DVDs, games, and only standard definition direct tv. At this point in time, I'll have to hold off on HD content. So that being said, I've been looking at various TVs, and I'm leaning toward the 50" Grand Wega LCD Projection. I'm just curious if anyone has any opinion on this TV, or if they can think of a better solution? I'd be willing to go with something in the 42" range too so no need to stick with 50". Price and quality are both of concern. The 50" is a bit above what I wanted to spend, but seemed as if I might as well given it's only about $200 more than the 42". So any thoughts? Alternatives?

darscot

I've got a 57 Sony I think it's the grand Wega got it last year. Love it recently got a HD reciever and love it and hate it. Once you start watching HD movies it makes your DVD's look like your VHS did when you got your DVD.

I don't think I've seen Klee on the new boards. I miss his HDTV updates.

I can't really say if that Wega is good or not, but if it's only $200 more, go for the 50 inch. I'll be in the market for a big screen in the winter, so hopefully those cheap LCoS tvs he was talking about will be showing up around then. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's sorta overwhelming looking at TVs now. It's not like it used to be. A lot more terms being throw around. I've figured out with rear projection TVs, CRT is not the way to go, and either DLP or LCD is. I still have yet to figure out what LCoS is though. The bulb issue with LCD seems a bit of a concern but I'm thinking on biting the bullet on that one. I would have gone with DLP but I'm worried about the rainbow effect and motion sickness.

darscot

I normally don't play the whole acronym game when I'm bying electronics. Decide how much you have to spend. And pick the one you think looks or sounds the best and supports the other equipment you have.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I like CRT myself, FWIW. The onloy drawback is the weight with the larger screens (my TV is well over 200 lbs.

LCoS = Liquid Crystal on Silicon.

Intel's new chips will drastically reduce the price of large screen HDTVs. I think Klee had said that Intel was predicting that 50-60" 1080p sets would be under $2000 by the end of this year. We'll see.

shantyman said:
I like CRT myself, FWIW. The onloy drawback is the weight with the larger screens (my TV is well over 200 lbs.

The two problems with CRT RPTVs is they don't offer true 720p display and they don't handle ambient lighting as well as the other TVs.

UFC PRIDE said:
What's the cheapest HDTV on the market BTW.

Depends on the size and format. I bought a 27" Samsung tube at Best Buy for about $500. No 720p, but it's still great for playing games on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom