• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Payback revealed (NFS: Fast & Furious, Nov 10, PC/PS4/XB1) [Trailer]

Kssio_Aug

And here we go again... probably the same crappy NFS. To think I had so much fun with the series until Playstation 2 era.

Seriously, shitty trailer. I don't want to see a "cool crew" doing Fast & Furious-like stuff, with stupid dialogues or whatever. Just give me races... enough with the bullshit. This trailer inspires no confidence, no changes.

We will see the gameplay, but it already seems another miss...

Breakage

It's as if they literally watched a bunch of F&F films and decided to make a game out of it. Looks dull.
All that advanced tech and they decide to do a blatant rip off complete with hackneyed dialogue (we own these streets) and truck hijack mission.

God, so cringe worthy. Just when I start celebrating that the F&F series has finally died we get this dude-bro shit heap piled onto us. At least NFS 2015 was somewhat 'back to the roots'. Oh well, whatever. If that's what people want, sure. This just seems like The Run 2.0.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Please be good. I want nfs to win but EA makes it so hard. I'm not into the story so hopefully the cut scenes can be skipped and the racing​ is just dumb arcade fun.

Kyle8497

The trailer didn't say much about the gameplay, so I'm just going to wait and see what they show at E3 for it.

Bandit1

nfs-payback-high-stakes-competition.jpg

Looks like a Voltex kit on that 350Z, so it looks like real aftermarket parts are back in! Big plus for me.

BiggNife

I am actually way more intrigued in what is basically a fast and furious game without the license than yet another attempt to recapture the magic of hot pursuit

Consider my interest piqued

Paperboy

How EA keeps thinking narrative based racing is the right direction for this series is increasingly a mystery to me. Is there really consumer feedback that exists that's like "More story. Arcade racing needs more story. Definitely."? Really strange.

I agree. Just vcopy and paste what EA Black Box did 15 years ago but with an updated vehicle catalogue: different tracks instead of an open world which means more varied locations, make it possible and a joy to watch the replays, and don't forget the splendid choice of music. Just pure fun!

I swear if I see power up's or gadgets in another NFS game..

I'm all for visual damage but hell no to cars breaking down or getting totalled.

Fast and furious was the obvious path for NFS and it took that path with Underground. Now that F&F became an action series, it looks like that's where EA want to go with NFS too.

I just want to race with customized cars without the politics of always online and crap cop chases. If I wanted an action racing game, I'd rather go play blur.

Best wishes.

How EA keeps thinking narrative based racing is the right direction for this series is increasingly a mystery to me. Is there really consumer feedback that exists that's like "More story. Arcade racing needs more story. Definitely."? Really strange.

I prefer to not have a story in my racing games, but if there's going to be one then I want it to cheese it up in a similar vein to the FZero GX story. If there's not a cutscene about the main character spiting their pants after saving a baby then I don't want it.

I will be impressed if Jess isn't the player character's love interest

Hiiiiiighly unlikely though

EDIT: forgot this is multiple characters, neat

Never understand why they didn't just copy the rockstar midnight club formula . With these modern graphics it would look amazing

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Go head-to-head with other racers on- or off-road through canyons...

Hook the deluxe edition up to my veins! When I realized the setting was a Las Vegas analog, I dared to dream about the return of canyon races.

I got the shakes last November when there was no NFS game to buy.

Not sure where all the complaints are coming from; the NFS games with a narrative were some of the better games in the series. It's just that MW 2005 and Carbon integrated that story pretty well, with the appropriate amount of cheese, while some of the newer games are pretty boring.

Id love to see them make a blend of NFS and F&F - What makes Fast and Furious so enjoyable is its self-awareness. The movies don't treat the audience like they're idiots; there's an assumption that the audience is smart and knows the movies are ridiculous, and the movies love to play that up.

NFS has never really nailed that tone, but I hope they pull it off in this one.

MrS

Banned
I might get this. I have a lot of good will for EA as a company after how good the last FIFA was and I haven't played a NFS game in years.

I do like a good Need for speed game. They're my guilty pleasure. Some are great, some are rubbish, but i always enjoy them. Looks like there could be some more off-roady sort of stuff in this one?

I have two wishes for this game:

-Better cop AI:
The last game was embarrassing, how you had to pretty much work to have them keep following you. Until the game randomly decides to glue them to you for a 10 minute chase you can't escape from. Give me that Hot Pursuit goodness, please

-Better race setups for multiplayer:
I just want to be able to hop into a race, I don't care if it's "in world". The drive around to challenge people thing is a cool idea, but isn't something I have any interest in actually doing. Let me choose "RACE" from my cellphone menu and warp to one.

Top Bottom