• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: The Run |OT| We're making great time

JJUKn.png

Ipnaq.png

Release Date | 11/15/2011 (First RUN copies will be Limited Edition)

Platforms: PS3, XBOX 360, Wii, PC, 3DS

Price | $59.99 (360, PS3), $49.99 (Wii, PC), $39.99 (3DS)

Developed by: Black Box

Published by: EA

Trophies | Achievements

RF1vv.png

Welcome to The Run. Three thousand miles of unforgiving asphalt from San Francisco to New York. Speed through desert storms, a mountain avalanche, and try to survive the streets of Chicago with the mob on your tail. THERE ARE NO SPEED LIMITS. NO RULES. NO ALLIES.

Sean Faris (The Vampire Diaries) is Jack Rourke, one of the best drivers around. Jack’s arrogance has led him into a debt he can’t repay. The mob has put a price on his head.

Christina Hendricks (Mad Men, Drive) stars as Sam Harper, a woman with ambition, street smarts, and a penchant for fast cars. Sam is the only person who can help Jack. Sam fronts Jack’s buy-in for The Run, with a winner-takes-all of $25 million.

With Sam as his eyes and ears, all Jack needs to do is win.

CUhPB.png

This will be updated shortly.

Le9ml.png

So far:
• ASTON MARTIN ONE-77
• ASTON MARTIN V12 VANTAGE
• AUDI QUATTRO 20 V
• AUDI R8 COUPÉ 5.2 FSI QUATTRO
• AUDI RS 4
• BMW 1 SERIES M COUPÉ
• BMW M3 GTS
• BMW M3 SPORT EVOLUTION
• BUGATTI VEYRON 16.4 SUPER SPORT
• CHEVROLET CAMARO SS
• CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1
• CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 CARBON LIMITED EDITION
• CHEVROLET EL CAMINO SS
• DODGE CHALLENGER R/T
• DODGE CHALLENGER SRT8
• DODGE CHARGER SRT8 POLICE CAR
• FORD FOCUS RS
• FORD GT
• FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302
• FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302
• FORD MUSTANG RTR
• FORD POLICE INTERCEPTOR CONCEPT
• FORD SHELBY GT500 SUPER SNAKE
• GUMPERT APOLLO S
• HENNESSEY VENOM GT
• KOENIGSEGG AGERA R
• LAMBORGHINI AVENTADOR LP 700-4
• LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH 5000 QUATTROVALVOLE
• LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO LP550-2 VALENTINO BALBONI
• LAMBORGHINI LP670-4 SV
• LAMBORGHINI MIURA SV
• LAMBORGHINI SESTO ELEMENTOLEXUS LFA
• LOTUS EVORA
• LOTUS EXIGE CUP 260
• MAZDA MX-5
• MAZDA RX-7 RZ
• MCLAREN F1
• MCLAREN MP4-12C
• MERCEDES-BENZ SLS AMG
• MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION X
• MOST WANTED EDITION BMW M3 GTS
• NISSAN 200SX (S14)
• NISSAN 370Z (Z34)
• NISSAN FAIRLADY 240ZG
• NISSAN GT-R (R35)
• NISSAN GT-R SPECV (R35)
• NISSAN SKYLINE 2000GT-R (C10)
• NISSAN SKYLINE GT-R (R32)
• PAGANI HUAYRA
• PAGANI ZONDA CINQUE
• PONTIAC FIREBIRD FORMULA
• PORSCHE 911 CARRERA S
• PORSCHE 911 GT2
• PORSCHE 911 GT3 RS 4.0
• PORSCHE 918 RSR
• PORSCHE CARRERA GT
• RAZOR'S FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302
• RENAULT SPORT MÉGANE R.S.
• SHELBY COBRA DAYTONA COUPE
• SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STITEAM NEED FOR SPEED FORD MUSTANG RTR-X
• TOYOTA COROLLA GTS (AE86)
• UNDERGROUND EDITION NISSAN 370Z (Z34)
• UNDERGROUND EDITION NISSAN SKYLINE GT-R (R32)
• VOLKSWAGEN GOLF MK1 GTI
• VOLKSWAGEN SCIROCCO R

MPWWt.png

Michael Bay's AWESOME TRAILER OOO WAH AH AH AH

E3 2011 Gameplay Demo:

Cx0oC.png

Gaming Nexus: A-
Destructoid: 8.5
Gametrailers: 8.4
Game Informer: 7.75
IGN: 6.5
Joystiq: 3 out of 5 stars

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This game's demo made me cry. It looked and played ridiculously bad in comparison to Hot Pursuit, which was one of my favorite games from last year.

I'll wait for some GAF impressions before making any judgement, but I'll definitely not be there day one.

amrod

Activated my PC copy using VPN... but it doesnt see 360 gamepad :(

It only sees Keyboard and "Wheel Controller"
I try to remap "wheel controller" and it wont let me...

Amagon

Really wanted to like the demo but this game screams rental. I suggest everybody to get Driver San Fransico if they want a great car game.

I'm kinda excited about this game. I want to wait and see if there are good deals online though.

I gotta say, some of the tracks I've seen on the ign review look awesome.

UFRA

THE NO LIFE KING said:
Really wanted to like the demo but this game screams rental. I suggest everybody to get Driver San Fransico if they want a great car game.

Driver SF is easily one of my favorite games of 2011. Top 5 I'd say.

As for NFS: The Run. I'm getting it tomorrow, I got it on Amazon for $27 so it's all good. I think the concept is pretty cool and it's worth giving it a shot at least at that price. I'm a big petrol head so any car game grabs my attention usually.

That 60+ cars. So the game have 10 events right ? I need to beat the game 6+ times to try all cars, or drive less than 2 minutes on each car before the game ends...

UFRA

UnluckyKate said:
That 60+ cars. So the game have 10 events right ? I need to beat the game 6+ times to try all cars, or drive less than 2 minutes on each car before the game ends...

10 stages, each with 3-5 races.

There are 120+ cars in the game according to GT.

luffeN

amrod said:
Activated my PC copy using VPN... but it doesnt see 360 gamepad :(

It only sees Keyboard and "Wheel Controller"
I try to remap "wheel controller" and it wont let me...
Hmm, I don't have any problems. I am using a wiresless adapter and the 360 controller. Turn it on before starting origin and the game. Works for me that way.

Anyone interested in a PC/360/PS3 gamer list for comparing times?

Origin: luuffeN

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I will get this on the Black Friday sales. Interested in the game, but interested in paying $60 for it.

amrod

luffeN said:
Hmm, I don't have any problems. I am using a wiresless adapter and the 360 controller. Turn it on before starting origin and the game. Works for me that way.

Anyone interested in a PC/360/PS3 gamer list for comparing times?

Origin: luuffeN

Turned it on before starting origin and the game didnt help...

Fox Mulder

dskillzhtown said:
I will get this on the Black Friday sales. Interested in the game, but interested in paying $60 for it.
I might get it from a redbox for a few days, as it doesn't really look like a purchase worthy game to me.

mr stroke

I will be picking this up during the inevitable Amazon Black Friday sale(previous years NFS around $20-$25)

Should look awesome on PC, sucks about the 30 fps though :(

fernoca

Got to try this on a friend...the Wii version.
After last year's 'Hot Pursuit' I was expecting a disaster...but to my surprise it isn't. Granted I don't know much about how the "HD versions" of 'The Run' are; but the Wii version is kinda like Burnout; even with "slow-mo takedowns", (though seems only when you takedown police vehicles). Scratch that, asked my friend and he says Takedowns also can be done to other racers/vehicles.

The game's basically like: through different episodes; you have to go from position #150th, to #1st. Each episode has comic-book cutscenes (static, but looks nice, even show the pages, table and pencils around the table), fully voiced. The races are pretty straight forward, with decent amount of traffic. Though some moments, the game triggers some "events" were the view goes into first-person and you have to do what you're told (evade something coming at you usually) and other variations like 'rival races'.

There are also lives. Though each episode your car has a life bar in green (aside the nitro bar in blue). You're given 3 lives per episode, you usually loae a life by: crashing, depleting your life bar or been taken down.

Music was really cool, really liked the soundtrack. Mostly Electronic music, no Rock, Pop or R&B, which I have no problem anyway. [apparently there are other genres too, but didn't heard them]

Granted, the game's not without "problems". There's no online, only local splitscreen for up to 4 players (unless online is a hidden/unlockable mode) and visuals while look sharp and crisp with some nice effects, lighting and relatively hi-res textures in the tracks; the overall models especially traffic and cars you the player's not using are relatively basic (but at the same time don't look "bad").

Overall, maybe is a mixture of not knowing much about the game, and then the really lowered (or no) expectations after last year's Wii game; but I was pleasently surpirsed by the Wii version. Is like the Wii finally got it's own Burnout...of sorts. :p

EDIT:
There's also a currency of sorts, usually obtained like Burnout. By driving in the opposite road, oncoming traffic, takedowns, max. velocity...nitro bar is filled that way too. But don't know what's the money for.

EDIT 2:
Also forgot as a "negative" that there's little to no car damage. Your car gets a few scratches, there's a rearview mirror at the top of the screen that starts breaking too while you drive; but in most cases the car stays just with the few scratches and when it "crashes" it either goes in slow-mo with a "Crashed" message, or just resets and you continue driving. Other cars/traffic have also little to-no damage.

EDIT 3:
And confirmed with my friend: you can't use the Wii Wheel. The game can only be played with Remote + Nunchuck or the Classic Controller.

You can't customize the controller neither, and the profile's name is the same name of your unit (my friend's Wii is called "Peepee" so it was saving to "Peepee" every time. :p)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
mik said:
There is a photo mode.

http://cdn.[url]www.needforspeed.com/sites/www.needforspeed.com/files/therun/photo/xbox/mik/25/full/image.jpg[/url]

[img]http://cdn.[url]www.needforspeed.com/sites/www.needforspeed.com/files/therun/photo/xbox/mik/21/full/image.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

So damn ugly, so..uh the photo mode add jaggies..or the jaggies are even worse during the gameplay?

[QUOTE=mr stroke]

Should look awesome on PC, [B]sucks about the 30 fps though[/B] :([/QUOTE]

This is locked at 30fps on PC too?

Why devs do this? 30fps and racing games is just wrong.

fernoca

MiniDitka said:
Will have some video from the Wii version up shortly.
Any thoughts about it? I liked it..but I was expecting it to be abysmal. :p

Reading around , it seems this is a "port" of the 3DS version. Same story mode, comic-nook style, etc. except the 3DS version has online multiplayer and autolog; while this one doesn't have anything online. Was made by the same team that did 'Nitro' so maybe that explains why this one is ...good at least.

MiniDitka

fernoca said:
Any thoughts about it? I liked it..but I was expecting it to be abysmal. :p

Reading around , it seems this is a "port" of the 3DS version. Same story mode, comic-nook style, etc. except the 3DS version has online multiplayer and autolog; while this one doesn't have anything online. Was made by the same team that did 'Nitro' so maybe that explains why this one is ...good at least.
Only played a few races by my early impression is its better than Hot Pursuit but not as good as Nitro.

UFRA

Playing on PS3 version. Up to Stage 3 so far.

This game really isn't too bad at all. The way the story was introduced and everything was actually pretty cool. It wasn't too over-drawn and was long enough to just give you the idea of what's going on before they throw you into the racing.

The controls are a love/hate relationship. Some people will have no issues with it, others will. I feel pretty comfortable with it. This is not Burnout, so you can't drift around hairpin corners at 308mph. You have to actually use the brakes, so it feels a bit more satisfying going around corners IMO.

Actually has the option for manual transmission. This was a nice touch I wasn't expecting since NFS:HP didn't allow manual if I remember correctly (edit: maybe it did and I opted for auto since there was so much chaos going on in that game). PS3 version also allows you to customize the button layout of the controller.

The graphics actually look quite nice in motion. Photo mode brings out the jaggies a bit unless you zoom in more on the car itself; then it looks better the closer you get. The environments are really cool so far. Haven't even reached any hazardous events yet like in the demo.

Once you pick a car you are kinda stuck with it for a while. You pass gas stations along the route and this is where you switch cars mid-race (the race "pauses" so you can take all the time you want in choosing). However this means you can't just pick a different car for every race. Gas stations aren't THAT common.

Tons of challenges for extra stuff to do outside of the story mode. Haven't touched multiplayer but I explored the menus and it has tons and tons of challenges as well. Also Burnout-style "group" challenge modes for a party online.

Overal I'd say this rates around the 7.0-7.5 range in my book. I can't complain for getting it at less than half price. Seems like it will be a pretty easy platinum trophy too.

fernoca

darth_infamous said:
Some actor from The Vampire Diares. I don't know.
The one you say is the main character (based on Sean Faris -who was Kyo in King of Fighters-), the character form the .gif is...don't know. :p

EDIT:
Wait, thought that was another character..that's Jack?!
Looks nothing like Sean Faris... XD

Jack:
SMG27.jpg

Sean Faris:
KU105.png

(with similar hair):

KjpHd.jpg

I mean, there's "something"..but..:p

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I care about the 3DS version, it's probably longer than the consoles too.

Top Bottom