• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: The Run |OT| We're making great time

fernoca

Straight from my friend; some more misc. details of the Wii version:
-5 acts
-26 episodes
-40 challenges
-You unlock challenges by getting bounty (the money I mentioned earlier)
-Bounty also raises your rank (level)
-38 cars
-68 milestones (i.e. achievements)
-Cutscenes can be skipped
-Menu is quite simple (car with rain and it rotates when you navigate) [eerie background music too]
-Rank/bounty unlocks vehicles, more challenges and parts
-Unlocked vehicles can only be used in challenges and multiplayer
-Unlocked parts allow to customize alloys, bonnets, bumpers, skirt, spoiler and general color
-You can use police vehicles in shutdown challenges
-Seems nearly all episodes end with a different kind of gameplay (police chases = first person view, you have to find an empty space of the barricade to escape; rival races = slow mo, you can only move the car left or right to make the other crash, etc.)

Jamesways

SolidSnakex said:
All NFS games sell well. Undercover sold 5m copies even though it's considered to be an awful game.

Shift 2 didn't sell as well as projected, so EA promptly canned SMS and told them there was no need for another Shift game.

So it's Criterion or Black Box from here on out.

The Shift 2 situation was strange. It came out shortly after HP and EA tried to distance it from the NFS brand. I'm not sure what they were trying to do.

Eurogamer reported that Criterion is developing the 2012 NFS.

I just got the game. Will post pictures and impression soon.

Plus you can select manual transmission or automatic transmission!

I just finished the game. It took me 2:14 to finish it (assuming that the end clock is accurate). So, GT wasn't exaggerating with the time.

Lima

drifter444 said:
I just got the game. Will post pictures and impression soon.

Plus you can select manual transmission or automatic transmission!

What? Yay finally an arcade NFS game that gives you this option.

I beat the game in one sitting. It took me about 3.5 hours to beat the run. Sure it was short but I had an amazing time racing on the many different variety of tracks. They are the type of tracks that you just want to play over and over again.

The handling is very arcadey. You have the option to select manual or automatic but the tracks can get too complex for manual driving. With in races you have nitrous and drafting to aid you. There are four types of races: race, battle (one on one),catch up (basically time attack) and escape the police/mob.

It is definitively worth a rental. Go rent this game even if your slightly interested. You will have a blast! If your thinking about buying the game, wait till the game is $30 (Black Friday sales). It is well worth $30 for the tracks and multiplayer. The game has great replay value.

UFRA

drifter444 said:
I beat the game in one sitting. It took me about 3.5 hours to beat the run. Sure it was short but I had an amazing time racing on the many different variety of tracks. They are the type of tracks that you just want to play over and over again.

The handling is very arcadey. You have the option to select manual or automatic but the tracks can get too complex for manual driving. With in races you have nitrous and drafting to aid you. There are four types of races: race, battle (one on one),catch up (basically time attack) and escape the police/mob.

It is definitively worth a rental. Go rent this game even if your slightly interested. You will have a blast! If your thinking about buying the game, wait till the game is $30 (Black Friday sales). It is well worth $30 for the tracks and multiplayer. The game has great replay value.

This is pretty much exactly right.

drifter444 said:

Yep. Couldn't have said it better. I'm having a ton of fun with this one! Picked it up on a whim based on really enjoying Black Box's previous efforts. Glad I did.

B-Dex

I managed to snag it for $30 bucks and am having a good time of it so far. It really feels like a action/racing summer movie.

Tried to play multiplayer but the lobby got stuck loading the next race. Will try again tomorrow I guess.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
fernoca said:
Wait, thought that was another character..that's Jack?!
Looks nothing like Sean Faris... XD
Jack:
http://i.imgur.com/SMG27.jpg

The Modelling of characters in this game is legendary.
Im amazed no one from the |OT| made a thread about her being in Need for Speed
h2GuK.jpg

UFRA

Just finished The Run itself. This definitely isn't a 'bad' game at all. I enjoyed it. Especially considering two of the story events took place in Wisconsin less than 2 hours from where I live. :D

Now to go through the challenges and multiplayer stuff.

Natiko

Banned
Sat down tonight and beat it in one fairly short sitting. It wasn't terrible but it was terribly mediocre. For something that had a unique premise for a racing game it sure felt really bland for 95% of the game. It's worth a one day rental I guess, can't say I really recommend it much past that.

I want to just chime in here as a voice of praise for this game. I've played and own almost all of the best racing titles that have come out over the past year and this one ranks among the most fun I've had. It may be rough around the edges but the presentation and visuals in game are great and it has a unique (albeit cheesy) chase movie theme that really scratches an itch.

The typically jaded gamers will find lots to mock but others will definately find a lot of fun in The Run.

JWong

Banned
The one thing I felt that was terrible about this game is that drafting is an unlockable.

It's really hard to be convinced that this is a good racing game based off one terrible design decision.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The Modelling of characters in this game is legendary.
Im amazed no one from the |OT| made a thread about her being in Need for Speed
http://i.imgur.com/h2GuK.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Just remember, the snozzberries guy from Super Troopers is married to her. No, I don't know how he did it.

Show EA you support GOOD racing games and pick up Hot Pursuit instead. Online community is still great, the game is still fun and gorgeous.

Just remember, the snozzberries guy from Super Troopers is married to her. No, I don't know how he did it.

If you're not into laughably large breasts, she offers nothing.

daviyoung

Banned
It's a really fun game, only played about an hour on PS3 though. I hope EA halves the price soon and I'll pick it up on PC, no way it's worth full price.

Haunted

Show EA you support GOOD racing games and pick up Hot Pursuit instead. Online community is still great, the game is still fun and gorgeous.
That's my takeaway from everything I've seen of this game so far.

Hot Pursuit is great fun. Much more in line with proper Need for Speed as well.

damn the Run gets hard after Stage 5. no room for mistakes at all :E

And to those still pondering the 2 hour game thing, that's just the campaign Run lenght. After that you have 50 normal races to complete like in any other racing game with gold, silver and bronze medals to gain along with unlocking cars and whatnot.

luffeN

damn the Run gets hard after Stage 5. no room for mistakes at all :E

And to those still pondering the 2 hour game thing, that's just the campaign Run lenght. After that you have 50 normal races to complete like in any other racing game with gold, silver and bronze medals to gain along with unlocking cars and whatnot.
Are those new courses?

Lima

No shit the Run is fucking brutal on extreme. I consider myself a very good racer but this is impossible at times.

Especially because of the rubber-banding AI. I really that no matter how well I drive those fuckers can always catch me at the last couple meters before the finish.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I got the PS3 version yesterday, and got to Vegas before going to bed. I'm liking it so far...

Pluses-

Frostbite 2 graphics are awesome. Loved the dust storm effects.

Driving model is good, IMHO.

Sense of speed is great.

Blue skies all over the place.

Minuses-

I can't help but think that the story would be better if it didn't take itself so seriously.

Also, I have this sinking feeling that I won't be able to plow into cows on the side of the road like in Cruis'n USA.

It fucking opened with a QTE. What the hell?

Rubberbanding is so noticeable.

Haven't gotten farther in the game yet, so this is going to change.

Lima

Wow at these challenges...

After getting my butt kicked in the middle stages, I finally finished The Run on extreme today. Got a lot easier towards the end especially when you get the Porsche.

Now the real deal are these challenges. Damn some of them are really hard to get platinum on.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Wow at these challenges...

After getting my butt kicked in the middle stages, I finally finished The Run on extreme today. Got a lot easier towards the end especially when you get the Porsche.

Now the real deal are these challenges. Damn some of them are really hard to get platinum on.

You only need a gold medal for the trophies/achievements tied into them. Unless there are car unlocks dependent on getting plats...

I'm having trouble with a level in Colorado. I was in the lead coming down the stretch, and some asshole passes me near the finish line. :-(

Chittagong

Gold Member
This must be the loneliest OT in the history of OTs. It's almost as if the game didn't exist. The op didn't even bother to return to edit the game modes in.

I was wondering whether I should rent this given I loved Driver SF, but I guess this says it all...

Lima

You only need a gold medal for the trophies/achievements tied into them. Unless there are car unlocks dependent on getting plats...

I know that you only need gold. But I want to get platinum. I'm really into racing games and always want to finish everything with the fastest time possible.

Got the Coast Rush and National Park done with all platinum.

I was wondering whether I should rent this given I loved Driver SF, but I guess this says it all...

Game is not that bad. I really liked it. The run itself was like a call of duty campaign. Short but fun.

Definitely worth a rent (you can finish all of the stuff in the game in like 2-3 days).

This launched today - http://oldspice.ea.com/

Old Spice is giving away a challenge series pack with three cars for free.

I thought the challenge series stuff in this game would be throwaway overall, but since the "campaign" only took me 2:11, and I absolutely SUCK at the multiplayer, I'm gonna' guess that CS is where I'll end up spending the bulk of my time.

leng jai

Yeah, I think this game may bomb.

Although GAF interest isn't a great gauge, it's usually quite indicative for the hardcore games.

My cousin works at EA so I can pretty much get this game for free and I basically can't even be assed doing that at this point.

NFS usually sells pretty well regardless of quality though.

JWong

Banned
My cousin works at EA so I can pretty much get this game for free and I basically can't even be assed doing that at this point.

NFS usually sells pretty well regardless of quality though.

Unless he works on the team, which gets one copy for free, it's $20 for EA employees.

And yeah, I don't want to do that.

Top Bottom