• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo heads, what are your favorite titles ?

Hellraizah

I just ordered a Neo Geo from www.japangamesnow.com (by the way, this guy's service is the best I've seen. EVER).

Now, what I wanna know is what are the games that people here feel they are must own for Neo Geo. I already have on the same order Samurai Showdown 2, King Of The Monsters 2 and Metal Slug 4. I plan on getting Mark Of The Wolves and maybe a convert of Super Dodgeball later, oh, and Sengoku 3.

Last Blade 1,2, Blazing Star, Metal Slug 1-3, Samurai Shodown 1,2. Also Garou, Mark of the Wolves, Neo Bomberman, Magician Lord,and Sengoku.

I can't stand Samurai Shodown IV, and I haven't played much of III or V. Metal slug 4 is okay, but the new art is wretched and the game is mostly recycled. I haven't played Metal Slug 5.

doncale

Banned
Magician Lord
Nam 1975
Ninja Combat (not ninja commando)
Last Resort
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury 2 Special
Samurai Showdown 2
Pulstar

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Sorta surprised that I'm the first to mention Last Blade(s 1 & 2).

I wish the Pulstar that I paid for wasn't an MVS hack :(

Fun obscure fighting games include Galaxy Fight (~50$), Waku Waku (~mucho$) and Matrimelee (~150$). The latter has a tendency to glitch and reset on some machines though. Doesn't work on mine, but at a friend's... ;(
Still, a very good game with the best fighting game soundtrack ever (full vocals on a cart!).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
mainly the holy, er, quadrinity of shock troopers, metal slug, metal slug x, and metal slug 3. which are probably the greatest games ever made. also blazing star and pulstar. and a bunch of fighting games i can't be bothered with. although last blade 2, samurai shodown 2 and 3, and garou: motw are the best of the bunch.

neo geo dodgeball kinda sucks, by the way. and i'm a huge fan of the nes and gba versions. caveat emptor.

Norse

Are neo geo cd systems just aas good as the cart version? Seems the cds of games are alot cheaper on ebay than the carts...any differences?

mint

Banned
Nothing is more fun than beating the crap outta ppl on KOF, 98, 2k2, 2k3..over kaillera and the arcade

Tellaerin

Norse said:
Are neo geo cd systems just aas good as the cart version? Seems the cds of games are alot cheaper on ebay than the carts...any differences?

Zero loading times vs. incredibly long ones, for one. There are other minor differences in some titles, but it's the huge delays between levels/rounds while the system loads new data off of the CD that really kills the arcade feel. If you have the means, I'd definitely recommend you go with the cart-based system instead.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
KOF'98
Last Blade 2
Samurai Shodown 2
Garou
Real Bout FF Special
Shock Troopers: Second Squad
Metal Slug X
Puzzle De Pon

Dave Long

Banned
Baseball Stars 2
LEAGUE BOWLING!
Magician Lord
Nam 1975
Ghost Pilots
Last Resort
Pulstar
Viewpoint
Wind Jammers
Super Baseball 2020

For fighters... there's so many... others have told you a lot of good ones. Samurai Shodown II was always top notch in my book. For non-weapon combat, Garou is tops but super expensive. To save some bux, buy Art of Fighting 2 or one of the earlier Fatal Fury games which still rock.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves........the pinnacle of 2D fighters IMHO.........

I could name NeoGeo games all day long, but this game is one of a kind, Also, I'm a huge fanstic of thr 'King of Fighters' series......

Hellraizah

Thanx for all the good advice. I'm truly surprised someone said Neo Dodgeball wasn't as good as the NES one. Damn, maybe I was only drawn in by the graphics.

SnakeX

View Point :)

viewpoint.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The guys here have named pretty much the cream of the console but don't forget Shock Troopers 2, it is pure shooter bliss.

Edit: JC named it before me, doh

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is the Neo you got modded? If not, be sure to get a chip, and I'd recommend getting a stereo/S-Video mod, as well as PSX/PS2 controller adaptors, which work great for any type of pad or stick you might want to use.

My favorites:

-Samurai Shodown II
-Baseball Stars 2
-Viewpoint
-KOF '98
-Real Bout Fatal Fury
-Real Bout 2
-Metal Slug 1-3 (Good luck getting MS1 for any type of sane price)
-KOF 2002
-KOF 2003
-Sengoku 3
-Windjammers
-Samurai Shodown V (But now I'd just wait for Special to be rereleased)
-Waku Waku 7 (goes for too much)
-Garou MOTW (ditto)
-Last Blade 2

I'm done with the Neo myself, though, after having bought almost every new release on cart since '98. I sold off one of my modded systems and most of games, keeping only a few of the more "recent" (as in 1998) fighters and the older games that aren't worth anything. I just play everything on my modded Xbox now; the games have never looked better too.

But I can't ever bring myself to sell off my Neo, Samurai 2, Real Bout 2, and KOF '98. :)

On a side note, I am currently loving this game. A review is coming soon, complete with pics I took on my (crappy) new capture card:

KOFterryvsterry.jpg

KOFaltralleo.jpg

KOFalttermai.jpg

KOFathalt5.jpg

KOFdukealt.jpg

KOFriggingm.jpg

KOFleonamainew.jpg

For Ferrio:

snap_img_08-14-2004_20-44-23.jpg

snap_img_08-14-2004_20-44-53.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i can't believe so many people are mentioning shock troopers 2 instead of the original. are you people high, or are you just dirty credit feeders? the sequel's got fancy rendered graphics, i suppose, but it destroys the perfectly balanced gameplay and difficulty of the original. shock troopers 1 is the vastly better game. fact. well, maybe not fact, but virtual consensus among serious players.

"serious players."

dear god what have i become.

Lyte Edge

drohne said:
i can't believe so many people are mentioning shock troopers 2 instead of the original. are you people high, or are you just dirty credit feeders? the sequel's got fancy rendered graphics, i suppose, but it destroys the perfectly balanced gameplay and difficulty of the original. shock troopers 1 is the vastly better game. fact. well, maybe not fact, but virtual consensus among serious players.

"serious players."

ST1 is definitely better. I liked the team play element as well, and the game seemed more challenging than ST2.

But I'd rather play Metal Slug over either Shock Troopers game.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
drohne said:

"serious players."

I personally couldn't care less about the issues you pointed out. For me it all comes down to presentation and fun factor and IMO ST2:SS surpasses the orignal in those aspects.

XS+

Banned
drohne said:
although last blade 2, samurai shodown 2 and 3, and garou: motw are the best of the bunch.
. . . another being besides me agrees that SamSho III is a good game . . .

Lyte Edge

Hellraizah said:
By the way Lyte Edge, yeah, the Neo I ordered is modded and it has S-Video output.

Awesome. :) A modded Neo with S-Video input looks SO much better than a regular Neo; it's a huge difference in image quality. The only thing that looks better is playing Neo games emulated in 480p on a modded Xbox.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Phantom-1 converter, which allows you to play MVS carts on your AES. That way you can get all the super rare AES games for a much cheaper price on MVS. Ninja Master's is another fighter to look out for in that format...

Lyte Edge

seismologist said:
I prefer the interlace look on Neo games. It looks closer to the arcade monitors that way.

You can use interlace options on emulators too. ;)

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
drohne said:
shock troopers 1 is the vastly better game.

i agree with this post and possibly feel more strongly about this than anyone else in the universe.

EAJAPAN

My fav Neo games -

SS2
SS4
KOF 98
KOF 03
MoTW
Metal Slug X
Last Blade 2
Baseball Stars 2
Pulstar
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Neo Bomberman

Underrated titles - Street Hoops, SNK vs Capcom, Metal Slug 5, Ninja Masters.

HAOHMARU

Samurai Shodown, II, III, IV & V

Metal Slug, 2, X & 3 (I didn't like 4 & 5)

KOF '98, '99, '00, '01, '02 & '03

Garou: Mark of the Wolves

Last Blade, 2

KAOS

Samurai Shodown 2 & 4, KOF 96 & 2K3, Wind Jammers, Last Resort, Viewpoint, Blazing Star, Prehistoric Island 2, Power Instinct M, Metal Slug 3, Shock Troopers 1 and Last Blade 2.

I like and still play all kof games and mark of the wolves..they have them 2 still at my old junior college arcade.. and remembering playing King of the monsters...that game was corny...lol I also liked playing the golf games too..

Top Bottom