• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Anime of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'll post some more thoughts later but wanted to get my list up

TV
1. Re:zero ; Easily the most fun I've had watching anime since Geass.
2. Haikyuu
3. Erased
4. Thunderbolt Fantasy ; This counts, fuck you MAL!
5. Yuri on Ice
6. Gintama°
7. Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
8. Flying Witch
9. Please Tell Me! Galko-chan
10. Macross Delta

PQJHk2o.jpg
1) Bubuki Buranki: I love mechs and between both seasons I got more mech battles than you can shake a stick at and a story that kept me interested.

2) Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu: Biggest surprise of the year. Thought I was getting typical visual novel dreck. Instead got a story while pretty basic, took advantage of the Subaru's power in a interesting way and challenged him to overcome his obstacles in inventive ways instead of relying on simply being the MC of the story. Also gave us the best best of all best girls, Rem.

DQNepT4.gif

3) Koukaku no Pandora: It made me smile and laugh and sometimes that's all you need.

4) Lostorage incited WIXOSS: Excellent continuation of the original series. The battles aren't nearly as important as the things going on around them.

5) Brave Witches: Strike Witches love is alive and well.

6) WWW.Working!!: The above image sums it up well.

lcWdoDq.gif

7) Anne Happy: Man these fucking girls are unlucky, I have no idea how the fuck Anne manages to even survive day by day since the world seems to be out to kill her. Yet despite all that it is pretty funny.

8) Flying Witch: A warm and fuzzy SoL show with a hint of magic to keep this interesting but not overdone.

9) Love Live! Sunshine!!: The original series wishes it was nearly as interesting as Sunshine was. Sorry Nico you have been fucking replaced.

10) Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!: Illya can kill Servants.

OVA/Movie/Special

1. Fate Grand Order - First Order: Feels like a good start to the special series. Everything I love about the NAsu verse and more. Can't wait for more in the coming months.

Honorable Mentions:
Shounen Maid
Musaigen no Phantom World
Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song
Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume
Oshiete! Gyaruko-chan
Kono Suba

Jex

TV

1. Thunderbolt Fantasy
2. Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū
3. Mob Psycho 100
4. Kiznaiver
5. Kuromukuro
6. JoJo' Bizare Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
7. The Great Passage
8. Space Patrol Luloco
9. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
10. Haikyuu!!

Movies

1. A Silent Voice
2. Kizumonogatari Part II
3. Your Name
4. Kizumogatari Part 1
5. Girls und Panzer

Most Surprising Journey

Watching all of Fafner

Old anime most likely to make you feel like killing yourself award

Texhnolyze

TV

1. Mob Psycho 100
2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
3. Tales of Zestiria the X
4. Yuri on Ice

Literally all I've watched this year lmao

Philippo

1. Mob Psycho 100
2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: Diamond is Unbreakable
3. One Punch Man
4. My Hero Academia
5. Gintama

zulux21

But it had five extra episodes on its BD/DVD releases this year, how is it ineligible?

it also aired in 2016 in english for the first time.

and it's far more of a 2016 anime than Thunderbolt Fantasy as that isn't on the eligible anime list either, it just was given special exception even though it's live action puppets :p

it's not like OPM would win this year anyways as most people won't vote for it since it aired in japan in 2015.

TV SERIES

1. Mob Psycho 100 ; The absolute winner this year, with stunning animation techniques and tons of love poured into it by BONES, you just cannot miss this one. This anime elevates the source material with stunning visuals and performances by the VAs, giving you what will possibly be the AOTY for NeoGAF.

2. Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū ; You know a show nailed it when you don't even know what it is about and makes you Google things. Rakugo. This is a weird one, in a sense that it shouldn't have been an anime. This could very well have been a live action show, and maybe done much better in terms of viewings and ratings, but they decided to stick with it. This show is getting a second season in Winter 2017, and I'm very much looking forward to it. Great animation, and OMG THE PERFORMANCES WERE SO GOOD.

3. The Great Passage ; The general theme of my top 3 shows is that they are all very much products of love. This show in particular should be very menial, with a subject matter that is very uninteresting. However Zexcs put tons of work into the animation and art for this show, making it one of the best animated series of the year. The story itself is very moving and leaves you thinking about the passage of time, and how one goes through the motions of it.

4. Re:Zero ; Ahh, the one and only. Yeah you heard of it. "Dark Souls of anime" is the title given to this show throughout the internet. Dark Souls it is not, but it is a show that tests your patience as it goes through groundhog motions, all while making the center character a lunatic mess that you cannot help but hate/love.

5. Tales of Zestiria The X ; Don't let the "Tales of" name fool you into thinking this is simply an adaptation of the videogame. This does not only fill in a lot of the gaps from the game's story, but also change it in meaningful ways that totally make this the ultimate way of experiencing this fantasy tale. Winter 2017 has the second season which continues the story onwards, so I am looking forward to seeing how the plot goes from here.

6. Kiznaiver ; One of my favourite new works of this year. Another original story that places great importance on bonding with those around you. By the end of it I noticed just how much I had grown to like these characters. It also features what could possibly be one of the greatest and saddest crying scenes. Oh and yeah, OP track of the year without a doubt. The Trance tune works very well with the visuals and is super catchy.

7. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! ; Or Konosuba for short, this show is simply hilarious. No other anime has made me laugh as much as this one did. Very much looking forward to season 2 in Winter 2017.

8. 91 Days ; HBO quality mafia tale. Nothing more, nothing less. It is an original story, meaning it doesn't have any reference material to take story elements from unlike the previous shows I mentioned. It is a pretty gripping tale of revenge, with a great victorian style to it.

9. Haikyuu!! S3 ; It's more Haikyuu. At this point you would have to have watched the previous 2 seasons in order to watch this one. Awesome moments here that all Haikyuu fans will love.

10. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash ; Very low-key, could have been mistaken for another "trapped in a fantasy world action adventure" show. However this is not just that. This is the tale of a bunch of kids trying to learn and survive in this brand new world, and take on responsibilities such as each other's lives. Amazing visuals, with the only problem being the amount of fan-service thrown into it for no reason. Probably would be a lot closer to the top of my list had it not been for that.

TV Series Honorable Mentions:

- Tanaka-kun is Always Listless ; Very funny show with the main protagonists having great synergy with one another.

- Girlish Number ; Similar to Shirobako in a sense that it shows you what the anime industry is like, with this show taking a closer look at VAs and the anime industry in general. Can be very satirical and funny (dissing LN shows quite heavily) and has a very uhhh... interesting protagonist. I'll leave it at that.

ReLIFE ; Tells the story of a depressed guy in his late 20s that loses his job. In order to reform him, he is given the opportunity to be regressed to a teenage body and attend high school in order to learn the value of working as team, relying on others and being social. This is a concept that could have gone very wrong if taken in a weird direction, however none of this show has any ill-intent. It made me reminisce about my own days in high school. Also this is a show that ends, but has a lot more story to tell. I liked it so much that I picked up the manga (it's the only one I'm reading so there's that).

- Flying Witch ; The ultimate feelsgoodman show of the year. Such a relaxed little show that it would kill me if I didn't at least mention it.

MOVIES/OVA/SPECIALS

1. Kizumonogatari II - Nekketsu-hen ; Honestly this and the first movie would be tied. If I could they would both be in first place, but alas. Super solid animation, great sound, great acting and tons of frenetic action.

2. Kizumonogatari I - Tekketsu-hen ; I was floored by this movie when it first came out. Monogatari never looked this good. The quality in animation and soundtrack for this are out of this world. This is also one of the most awaited movies by Monogatari fans since this is the origins of the whole timeline in this franchise. I put this one second because although it is beautiful, it has a lot less action than the second one. And good lord is that action good. Still a great movie, and again in my own head tied with the second movie, but I had to choose which one went first.

3. Shelter ; It spawned discussions online with people saying this wasn't anime, and others saying it was. At the time of me writing this the Anime music video/short film featuring a partnership between Porter Robinson, Madeon, A-1 Pictures and Crunchyroll has 11,323,446 views, which means it has probably been viewed more times than your favourite TV anime. Not only is the music in it great, but tale being told through visuals (oh and these are stunning by the way) is moving and will certainly stay in your mind for a bit. Now excuse me while I go listen to the track again.

4. Fate/Grand Order - First Order - ; The start of the year of Fate. This is definitely an advert for the mobile game, but it wasn't bad at all. I actually enjoyed this new take on the Fate franchise and it was cool seeing some of the characters we are used to filling different servant roles. We also got a few cameos from the other Fate continuity so there was that. No idea whether they will be making more of these, the name does indicate that there may be more to come, and the ending was basically a non-ending as well. If you like Fate, you will like this for sure. Ufotable this isn't but the action is still competent and flashy enough, with enough woomph to it. Looking forward to the next Fate projects to come next year.

Erheller

1. Trails of Cold Steel 2
1. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
2. Girlish Number
3. The Great Passage
4. Flying Witch
5. Amaama to Inazuma
6. 3-gatsu no Lion
7. Hibike! Euphonium 2
8. Shokugeki no Souma 2

TV Series
1. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans S2
2. Lostorage Incited Wixoss
3. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
4. Erased
5. Kiznaiver
6. Re:Zero

FIlms/OVA
1. Girls und Panzer

Your Name/Kimi no Na Wa and A Silent Voice/Koe no Katachi would definitely be under Films/OVA but I have to wait next year to watch them when they come to BR.

1. Mob Psycho: didnt know what expect coming into it. the production team produced something incredible. this is one stylish show with amazing animations in the all episodes. the story is great and has some hilarious moments and some very emotional scenes

2. JOJO: DiU : The main villain looks like david bowie and has a stand called killer queen.

3. Haiykuu: season 3: Haiykuu is awesome but this season is not on as amazing as the first
2 seasons. its still great tho.

honorable mention: gintama*, have not finished watching it yet. since its gintama there is no doubt hilarious as always

Cornbread78

it also aired in 2016 in english for the first time.

and it's far more of a 2016 anime than Thunderbolt Fantasy as that isn't on the eligible anime list either, it just was given special exception even though it's live action puppets :p

it's not like OPM would win this year anyways as most people won't vote for it since it aired in japan in 2015.

Would they be counted for OVAs?

Thats not TV anime. Don't think those have ever counted

But it had five extra episodes on its BD/DVD releases this year, how is it ineligible?

One Punch Man is so good that it punches into 2016!

OPM's regular simulcast was in 2015.
English dub releases and/or Toonami broadcast do not make it eligible.
There was no movie release in theaters for it in 2016.

BD/DVD release dates (of shows without new "OVA" eligible content) do not dictate eligibility.

1. Trails of Cold Steel 2

I would agree with tis, lol.

1. Thunderbolt Fantasy; Schroedinger's cat of anime. It's not anime, but yet at the same time it is. Thunderbolt Fantasy takes the things that make special anime special and applies it to a puppet show. The action, the voice acting, the fantastical expressions. A truly great gem that brings huge joy every episode.
2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu; Brilliance distilled, Rakugo takes the other side of anime, it's ability to be slow, methodical and thoughtful about people and their relationships. A journey through life itself.
3. Mob Psycho 100; A good adaptation of a stellar manga.
4. Erased; Adults look back at childhood with a mix of nostalgia and loathing. We wish we could go back to the days when our ignorance was bliss yet fight desperately for control and independence. Going back to the past with all your adult knowledge is good bu it is only then that you realise how little power children have against the forces of adult society.
5. 91 Days; All for nothing.
6. Kuromukuro; Sumurai boyyyyy.
7. Kiznaiver; Humans are complicated but unfortunately, all too often, anime characters aren't.
8. Concrete Revolutio; I guess we really are the last of us.

1. Your Name; Grab my tits to make sure I am alive.
2. Kizumonogatari 1; Little girls are little girls.
3. Girls Und Panzer; Panzer Vor!!!!

TUSR

Banned
Categories:

There are two of them:

Series of the Year - Top Ten
Films and OVAs of the Year - Top Five

Not sure what your favorite anime is? Basically, if it follows an episodic format and you watched it weekly or monthy, on the web or the TV, it's probably a series. Otherwise, it's an OVA/film. If you're still not sure, you could always search or ask here.

OVAs are typically released on BDs. So your whole second catagory will be on theatrical release for movies and BD releases for OVAs.

BD/DVD release dates do not dictate eligibility.

:thinking:

One Punch Man: Road to Hero was 2015
One Punch Man Specials 2-6 were 2016

Some people might actually care about this, as how you have it laid out seems contradictory.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

edit: redundant...

tolkir

1. Gintama°
2. Drifters
3. Mob Psycho 100
4. Erased
5. JoJo' Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
6. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
7. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!
8. Boku no Hero Academia
9. Berserk
10. Re:Zero

marzlapin

WIP

Series

1. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu;
2. Haikyuu!!;
3. My Hero Academia;
4. Sweetness & Lightning;
5. Mob Psycho 100;
6. Erased;
7. Food Wars! The Second Plate;
8. Yuri!!! on Ice;
9. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable;
10. Kiznaiver;

Honorable Mentions:

x. Orange; I enjoyed the premise, story and characters in this one a lot but the animation quality was all over the place. In some places it was distractingly awful, unfortunately. If it weren't for this hangup I would've put it in my top 10.
x. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou;
x. Tanaka-kun is always listless;
x. Snow White with the Red Hair;

I would agree with tis, lol.

OVAs released exclusively on BD/DVD would never be eligible based on your rule (See Strike the Blood season 2). I think you need to clarify and expand your allowances for OVAs and Films.

Cornbread78

OVAs are typically released on BDs. So your whole second catagory will be on theatrical release for movies and BD releases for OVAs.
:thinking:

One Punch Man: Road to Hero was 2015
One Punch Man Specials 2-6 were 2016

Some people might actually care about this, as how you have it laid out seems contradictory.

edit: redundant...

I was referring more to the release of older simulcast shows on BD/DVD.

If it is a new OVA then that would fall under the Movie category based on the rules established previously..

Does that clarification work?

We need an independent arbiter for this.... lol

Moaradin

TV Series:
1. Mob Psycho 100 ; This show has top notch animation, really creative visuals, great fight sequences, and fun characters. This show would be great for those things alone, but what makes it fantastic is the strong emotional core holding it all together. One of the main themes of this show is about growing up, and just about every character struggles with that in one way or another. Watching Mob grow as a character and seeing him deal with his repressed emotions was really compelling stuff. The English dub for this show is also great, and I would definitely recommend it.

2. JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable ; The best season of JoJo yet. Great cast of characters, fun Stand encounters, and a really great villain. The art, animation, and direction was a huge step up from past JoJo seasons. GREATO.

3. Haikyuu!! ; We got two seasons of the best sports anime in the same year. I like just about every character, even ones from rival teams. This show has really strong character development and I couldn't help but fistpump during some character moments. I was never into Volleyball before this show, yet the matches in this get me unbelievably hyped. A big part of that is the animation, but also the fantastic OST by Yuki Hayashi.

4. Gintama° ; It's fucking Gintama. This is one of my favorites, and I imagine it will be high on my list again in 2017. It's the best comedy anime ever, and the serious story parts are really strong as well.

5. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu ; This was a very interesting anime for me. Rakugo is something that is very foreign to me, and I can't say that I ever got super into the actual Rakugo performances in this show. That's kinda weird considering how high it is on my list and how much I "didn't get" a big aspect of the show itself. Despite that, I loved the setting. It did a very good job at capturing pre and post-war Japan. All the characters felt like actual people with lives, even the more minor ones. Everything just felt very realized. I was very invested in all the character drama, and the show had some great VA performances. I liked everything surrounding the Rakugo performances so much that I wish all the little intricacies of Rakugo wasn't so lost on me. Regardless, I'm very excited for S2.

6. My Hero Academia ; I'm a bit biased when it comes to this one. MHA was the first manga I've ever read while it was just starting up. I fell in love with this series before the anime was even announced. Deku is immediately likeable as a protagonist, and the show has a great cast of characters in general. The soundtrack is fantastic and it's another one by Yuki Hayashi. The first season of the anime suffers from some pacing issues, and it never really gets past the introduction phase of the series, but I'm confident this will become one of the most popular and quality shonen anime out there.

7. Konosuba ; This show is hilarious. It takes the trapped in a MMO concept and just has fun with it. The main characters are the biggest losers and don't accomplish anything. I had a good time just watching these lovable idiots stumble around everywhere.

8. Kiznaiver ; This was not the kinda show I expected out of Trigger. The premise itself sounds like the most edgy thing ever, but it surprisingly works. I liked the characters and most of the drama worked for me. I just wish it had a few more episodes to expand on some characters.

9. Space Patrol Luluco ; Now this is the kinda show I expect out of Trigger. It's wacky and fun, and goes all over the place. It really felt like a love letter to everything Trigger, and I loved how it literally passed the torch to Little Witch Academia.

10. 91 Days ; The premise immediately sold me. A crime drama set during the prohibition? Sign me up. I was pretty interested in the characters, and it's nice to get an original anime with a clear conclusive ending for once.

Honorable Mentions:

x. Thunderbolt Fantasy ; This was honestly one of my favorite shows this year. The premise is extremely simple, but executed near flawlessly. The action is awesome, and the soundtrack is one of the few from Hiroyuki Sawano that didn't get on my nerves. The interactions with the characters was my favorite part. The writing is great and the dialogue is very sharp, something you'd expect from Gen Urobuchi. The reason it isn't on my list is because it isn't anime.

x. Re:Zero
x. Erased
x. Orange
x. Yuri on Ice
x. Assassination Classroom Season 2

Movies:

1. Kizumonogatari II: Nekketsu-hen ; This is about tied with the first movie, but it has more Hanekawa so I guess it edges it out. This movie is pretty much a boss rush, and all the fights are fun in a way you'd expect from Monogatari. I need that third movie.

2. Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen ; It's pretty short and not a lot happens, but it's a treat visually and it's more Monogatari, so it's good.

3. Garo: Divine Flame
; This movie is only a little over an hour long, but it managed to tell a tight story and reminded me why I liked the first Garo anime series so much. Great action and fun characters. And it's got a JAM Project song in it, so it's automatically good.

4. One Piece Film: Gold ; All of the recent One Piece movies have been pretty good and this one is no exception. Gran Tesoro is a cool setting and there's a lot of sakuga moments.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Slim pickings for me this year because I've fallen off anime in a hard way... this almost feels like a list of what I watched this year rather than a true top ten. I still owe people LOGH, that Key anime with the uguu (I keep forgetting the name), and Utena. lol

1. Amanchu! ; For me, this show is the bow that wraps up SatoJun's "healing" oeuvre. In a year where both Tamayura and Aria got special OVAs to wrap up the respective franchises, it was just a good year to be a SatoJun fan. I'll admit that it didn't capture the feeling that I got from Aria, but it was still very nice to just go back to the familiar rhythms of a SatoJun/Amano text.

2. Gintama° ; The episodes that we got in 2016 basically threw the show into overdrive as it rushes toward the finish line. You have deaths of major secondary characters, you have the Darth Vader "I Am Your Father" revelation, and you have the promise of an epic showdown that will happen when the show ends next year. It's also the first time that the show really felt like a "shounen" in terms of having extremely long (by Gintama standards) arcs that were more serious than comedic - that they threw out the "Love Potion" arc as an OVA just shows that they wanted no distractions from the end game material.

3. Love Live Sunshine ; This was a show that teased its origins so hard, making sure to reference the original iteration of the franchise every other week - the school closing premise didn't help either. But I think the show was able to come out from under Muse's shadow by the end, with the characters being able to stand on their own as distinct entities and with a pleasant enough "power of friendship and music" story to bring them all together. You can also see how they learned so much from the original Love Live to put together a competent story that mostly avoids the embarrassing animeisms that appear in the first season of Love Live, which is a nice bonus.

4. Bakuon!! ; This year's Survival Game Club (Sabagebu!) in terms of being a dumb over-the-top anime comedy. Wacky characters that work well with each other, lots of manzai-esque comedy, and just absurd situations made the show an unexpected highlight for me. The fanservice bits, as rare as they are, mar the series a bit, but it was still fun to watch.

5. Flying Witch ; The perfect exemplar of a slice of life show. In a nutshell, it's Harry Potter if nothing happens. It was pleasant enough, providing an interesting world for the viewer to explore, but I can see why it wouldn't exactly get people excited.

6. Hundred ; This is a terrible, terrible show... but that's exactly why I enjoyed it so much. Superficially, but also in the most important ways, it's a clone of Infinite Stratos, and there's something that is hilarious about watching a show that is so naked in its ambition to pander to the grungy anime fan.

7. High School Fleet ; Speaking of trying to capitalize on popular anime, here's an attempt to try to get a bit of that Girls und Panzer juice by basically taking the concept and putting it into the ocean. A very promising start that is squandered by a floundering middle section, but at least it ended well. It's a show that will probably be remembered more for being so close to GuP than for anything that it did on its own.

8. Oshiete! Galko-chan! ; I guess this is the anime short that represents all the short anime that I watched this year. Galko in particular is a fun show that, in the vein of Girl's High School, aims to demystify the female body by normalizing it and draws its comedy from that.

9. Watashi ga Motete Dousunda ; This is a show that I can admit to watching only because of the seiyuu. As perhaps one of Yuu Kobayashi's final leading roles (her career is clearly on the downward part of the arc right now, sadly), it's a fitting send-off since the role asks her to use her trademarked personality switch voice. Through in the fact that Miyuki Sawashiro comes on and becomes a member of her harem, and this is probably one of the most memorable anime that I've seen based on casting alone (it doesn't hurt that their characters share the first "kiss" in the show). But there's not much there for people otherwise - as a reverse harem, it runs as expected where every guy in her harem gets to show off, but there are no winners because the manga is still going. As a comedy about a fujyoshi, it's doesn't really do much with the nerd-girl thing at all.

10. Girlish Number ; This show would be much higher on my list if not for the fact that I haven't finished it, so I don't feel comfortable putting it higher in case it just goes downhill later on. If I finish it up before the voting ends, I might change the ranking later on. Anyway, the first episode really grabbed me by the balls and, in the parlance of kids in 2016, "woke" me to the possibilities of anime to speak to the issues surrounding the production of anime. The cynicism of all the characters in the show fit in well with shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm (particularly the Seinfeld reunion season) and The Comeback, where the bitter realities of anime production allows the characters to truly express human moments that go beyond a simple job title.

Movies
1. Girls und Panzer ; Besides the fact that it's the only anime movie from this year that I watched, the film is a great addition to the franchise. Yes, the premise is absurd (the school is closing again??), but it gives them a reason to do a big team up battle at the end. You also get some measure of resolution to the Miho storyline as well, which is nice. The lack of a real denouement is still bothersome though.

Honorable Mentions
x. Anne Happy ; for an anime dealing with depression, I think it actually handled it quite well. Of course, the solution comes down to making friends and getting support from others, but that's a fine message to convey.

x. 12-sai.: Chicchana Mune no Tokimeki ; interesting if only because, like Galko, it dealt with female body image issues in a real way. This feels like a show that mothers watch with their young daughters though, and in many ways feels like the Japanese equivalent of Degrassi or Girl Meets World in terms creating drama and learning moments out of simply growing up.

x. Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū ; I didn't finish this in part because I was hoping it would jump back to the "present day" storyline introduced in the first episode (and in the very misleading blurb about a woman trying to perform as a rakugo performer that can be found on MAL and every single anime chart out there). I'm sure it's fine, but once it was clear that it was going to stay in the past, I just lost interest.

1. Mob Psycho 100;
2. Flip Flappers;
3. Konosuba -God's blessing on this wonderful world!;
4. Jojo's Bizarre adventure: DIU;
5. 91 Days;
6. ReLIFE;
7. Keijo;
8. Drifters;
9. Kiznaiver;
10. Bungo Stray Dogs;

x. Re:ZERO - Starting Life In A Whole New World-;
x. Alderamin on the sky;
x. Twin Star Exorcists;
x. Dragon Ball Super;
x. Taboo Tattoo;
x. Kuromukuro;
x. Erased;
x. Haven't you heard? I'm Sakamoto;

SalvaPot

1. My Hero Academia
2. Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan (The Disastrous Life of Saiki K)
3. Gintama°
4. Mob Psycho 100
5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable.

I didn't watch a lot of anime this year, hmm.

Check out Saiki, its great.
bd33ecac4843500caaf0068315a4825cb95af3f5_hq.gif

giphy.gif

Linkark07

Banned
Saw many animes these year but it will be hard for me to say which ones were the best. Anyways, here I come:

1. My Hero Academia; what can I say? I really liked this one. Midoriya-shounen is one of the few shounen protagonists that really stood out. If he tried to use his brute strength, he will damage himself so all he has left is his brains, and unlike other protagonists of the genre, he actually uses it. Also we got Bones to animate this, so it has a great animation and superb soundtrack. Can't wait for the second season.

2. 91 Days; Mafia, guns, stuff that I like. Plus a protagonist driven by vengeance. 91 Days is another superb anime that really captivated me. And, despite being enemies, I really liked Angelo's interactions with Nero.

3. Orange; sure, it has its problems but each episode always left me wanting to watch more and see how Naho and the others could save Kakeru. While flawed, it was a great experience.

4. Handa-kun; this year we got Sakamoto and Handa, yet I preferred more the latter than the former. Handa is awkward, introverted and quite a scary cat, yet he got fanboys and fangirls following him. This was fun to watch.

5. Sailor Moon Crystal Season III; Toei redeemed themselves after how awful were the first two seasons of Crystal. And thankfully, they did a damn fine job with the S arc. This has always been my favourite Sailor Moon arc anyways.

6. Sound Euphonium 2; more Kumiko please. Why is she so adorable? although Reina is great too. Eh, doesn't matter, what matters is that Kyoani continues doing beautiful animes and Hibike isn't an exception. Plus it is a musical anime so it gets many points too. Only flaw I could say is that they needed to add more musical sections, especially when they were playing in the concerts instead of skipping them.

7. Poco's Udon World; Poco is so adorable. If he was real, I would adopt him instantly. This anime always made me watch it with a smile in the face.

8. ReLife; being able to return to high school and learn from my past mistakes? Well, Arata did that and at least it helped him be more open and more selfless than in the past. Quite an enjoyable experience that portrayed quite well how teenagers behave in high school, and how adults like Arata see them.

9. Flying Witch; how I love animes like these. Animes that I can sit, watch and know I will have a pleasant experience that leave me with a smile in my face. Flying Witch is one of them. Quite a pleasure watching each week Makoto's experiences as a witch.

10. Tanaka Kun is always listless; Tanaka and Oota should marry, they are the perfect couple. Disregarding that, another anime that always made me smile, especially seeing how lazy Tanaka was.

Movies/OVAs:

1. Working: Lord of Takanashi; the conclusion, finally. We got all the pairings ready except Takanashi and Inami. And the wait was worth it, this OVA still got everything we loved from Working and also a perfect ending for the series. Gonna miss really Wagnaria's screw.

2. Digimon Adventure Tri: Confession; the best of the bunch so far in my opinion. This chapter of the Digidestined kept me in my seat, hoping the best for them and their digimon. Unlike the other two films, I found everything to be entertaining and interesting.

Honorable Mentions:

Erased; this could have entered the list easily but after the past arc finished, the quality started going down sadly. Doesn't matter, it was still a great experience, and another anime I wanted to watch each week.

Konosuba; Aqua is the perfect idiot and that is why we love her. Add with her Megumin and her love for exploding stuff, Darkness and her... indecent hobby and Kazuma being a pervert and you got one of the craziest parties ever. Sadly, Deen animated this so... yeah, we know what to expect.

ReZero; to be honest, I wasn't even planning to watch this, but my friends pestered me for marathon this anime. While it has an unique premise, I personally didn't like any of the character, not even Rem. But the fact that Subaru's experiences were breaking him mentally was something interesting to watch.

Planetarian; sure, I read the kinetic novel but my dream was still watch this work of Key animated, and it was worth it. While there are still some differences, David Production did a great job animating everything that made the novel great, including the ending. Still cried, like Key's works always do.

Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya Drei; I mean, Silver Link has always done superb jobs adapting Illya's Magical girl series. And Drei took a much more dark turn now. But they had one job, one job, and Silver Link failed at it. Oh well, better hope they do justice to Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Heaven Works Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya Movie
Shirou Route
But after that, it was a great season.

So, that's it. List got longer than I expected.

Also, 3-gatsu no Lion would have entered my list easily if it wasn't because it hasn't finished. Next year you can expect it on my top 5 for sure.

Edit:

Can I also create a new nomination? So bad it was good anime. And my pick is Lost Village. Such an interesting premise, but so badly executed, this was basically a trainwreck. Still, all the craziness that happened each episode, and the execute girl (Lovepon) actually made me like it. Plus the discussions online were funny. Certainly, I wouldn't recommend this unless you don't mind watching crazy stuff, people acting like idiots and an awful protagonist.

x. Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū ; I didn't finish this in part because I was hoping it would jump back to the "present day" storyline introduced in the first episode (and in the very misleading blurb about a woman trying to perform as a rakugo performer that can be found on MAL and every single anime chart out there). I'm sure it's fine, but once it was clear that it was going to stay in the past, I just lost interest.

I don't expect you to watch it, but you are aware that the entire second season starting in about a week will be about that "present day" storyline, yes?

blakep267

1. Re:Zero : wow what a surprise. I had just come off Konosuba and I didn’t think much of this. But it just gets deeper and deeper. So much stuff is there. Sure if you took away the loli and maid stuff the show would be better but I don’t think it actively brings it down. Anyway Rem is best girl, Emilia is boring, and I cant wait to see what happens next.

2. Haikyuu: King of sports anime. Just overall great. I will say this is clearly a notch below season 2. Aoba Johsai and Oikawa were just better and more interesting than Shiratorizawa

3. My Hero Academia: Really great Shounen and super inspiring. Those first 3 or so Eps just kept delivering the feels. Deku is just such a likeable protag. Maybe the most likeable shounen MC for me in years( leaps and bounds over Naruto, luffy etc). Show has surprisingly good action, good animation, and a solid story line. It could’ve been so much bigger if it came out in the early 2000’s

4. Konosuba: Maybe tied for the funniest show of the year for me. It isn’t breaking new ground but it does a lot with the existing formula. Overall really funny and Im looking forward to season 2.

5. This Art School has a problem: Just a random gem that I found. Its tied with Konosuba as the funniest show Ive watched this year. I was pretty hooked on it. Also I kinda got into the shipping of MC’s

6. March comes in like a lion: Very good SoL show. Evokes your lie in april but more grounded and much less annoying( didn’t like the lead girl in YLIA). Anyway its still ongoing but I feel a deep connection to Rei and am interested in seeing more

7. Durarara: Final season aired. This is more of an honorary mention because its been so great this whole time. This season was weaker but even a weak Durarara is still one of the best. Sad to see it go. Its in my all time top 10

8. ReLife: Really surpised me. The premise isn’t groundbreaking but its funny and engaging at times. I did not care for the MC’s love interest
who also happens to be in the reLife program
. Also I thought it was cool how all the eps were available at the same time on CR

9. Days: I was looking for a good sports anime and this filled the #2 spot next to Haikyuu. It started out great but I got really frustrated at how the MC wasn’t progressing at all. Around the end of the first cour I almost dropped it because I wasn’t satisfied with how the team lost but I stuck with it.
Good show overall and Im interested in seeing the MC grow

10. Flying Witch: Just a chill SoL show. Super relaxing. Just fun to watch random everyday stuff

Honorable Mentions: Drifters, Sweetness and Lightning, Food wars, Alderamin on the Sky

Didn't finish Rakugo. First EPA didn't grab me. I'll try again some other time

blakep267

I was referring more to the release of older simulcast shows on BD/DVD.

If it is a new OVA then that would fall under the Movie category based on the rules established previously..

Does that clarification work?

We need an independent arbiter for this.... lol
i say no. A lot of shows have OVAs in years when they aren't even out. OPM was a 2015 show

Celcius

°Temp. member
Series:
1. Sound! Euphonium Season 2
2. New Game!
3. Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans Season 2

Movies:
1. Girls Und Panzer the movie

LordCanti

1. Space Patrol Luluco: The spirit of Gainax lives on. Jussssticeeeeeee
2. Mob Psycho 100: Not quite as fun as One Punch Man was last year but fantastic in a different way. The animation was often stellar, and Reigen is the master we all deserve.
3. Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū: Just a weird, wonderful, reverse whodunnit.
4. Flip Flappers: It suffered from the loss of the original writer but managed to pull it together by the end. I expected absolutely nothing and came out pleasantly surprised.
5. Erased : I don't think they did the best job of
concealing who the villain was
but it was a good ride while it lasted.
6. Kiznaiver: Out triggered by Space Patrol Luluco but still worth a watch.
7. Tanaka-kun: You're either in by the end of episode 1 or you're not. No great ambitions, just Myaano and that's enough.

Movies:

1. Kizumonogatari I
2. Kizumonogatari II

Honorable Mention: Hibike Euphonium 2. The animation was top notch, the Kumiko noises were on point, but oh my God did the author (or maybe KyoAni.. who knows) not know what I was looking for out of a season two. Specifically
Kumiko and Reina interaction. They barely interact at all! At least Shuichi didn't win I guess but dammit. Asuka senpai muscled in.

Dishonorable Mention: Dragon Ball Super. It's very clear that Toriyama doesn't care about Dragon Ball anymore. I don't know if he ever did from maybe Cell on but with each passing episode the universe of Dragon Ball gets worse and more needlessly convoluted. The animation quality is rock bottom but if the story were decent it would at least be worth waiting for the Blu-Ray to come and save us. Please stop.

Yonafunu

3. Haiykuu: season 3: Haiykuu is awesome but this season is not on as amazing as the first
2 seasons. its still great tho.

2. Haikyuu: King of sports anime. Just overall great. I will say this is clearly a notch below season 2. Aoba Johsai and Oikawa were just better and more interesting than Shiratorizawa

Just a heads up, but you know you the second cour of season 2 is still part of this vote, right? There's no need to seperate the seasons, you can just vote for all of this years Haikyuu in general.

1. Mob Psycho 100: Probably the anime that was made with the most amount of heart this past year. Likable cast of characters, amazing visuals, and a great message made for an anime that stuck with me and managed to crack my top 10 favorite of all time as well.

2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: Diamond is Unbreakable: It was hard to imagine where the JoJo series would go next after Stardust Crusaders ended with such finality. What led next was a smaller, almost more intimate series where Araki finally got to flex his creative muscles. This may be my new favorite JoJo part.

3. Konosuba: Probably the biggest surprise of the past year. I've come to realize that Trapped in a Fantasy World premise doesn't really do it for me. .hack, SAO, even re:Zero kind of all failed to impress me. So color my surprise when a series that comes along that parodies the premise and tropes that I suddenly fall in love with it. This shit was hilarious.

4. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K: Probably the best show that no one watched. The sense of humor in this show was amazing, helped by the deadpan delivery of the lead and the wacky supporting cast. The few times it does go for more serious, heartwarming scenes, it also sticks the landing.

5. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: My #HipsterEntry. But seriously, after hearing glowing praise of this series, I decided to check it out and I was impressed. I don't normally go for straight up dramas, but I loved the presentation and the characters. It was a true tragedy of pride, but I'm glad I watched it. Looking forward to season 2.

6. Yuri on Ice: After the Crunchyroll Awards shenanigans and some prodding from a coworker, I finally decided to give Yuri on Ice a chance. This series was a real treat, being an engaging sports anime while having appealing leads in Yuri, Victor, and Yurio. Pacing fell off a bit near the end but the leads carried the show through the final hurdle.

7. Assassination Classroom Season 2: Assassination Classroom was always a series that I was aware of but never dove into. I knew it was one of Jump's most popular series during it's run so I finally relented and watched the entirety of the series. It was top knotch quality and some of the final scenes in the last episode actually got me to cry, a first for any anime series.

8. Orange: For my money, the best "feel good" anime of the year. It dealt with a particularly heavy topic, and while the premise is somewhat questionable, I think they handled the issue rather tastefully. Loved the cast of characters and without trying to sound to obnoxious, I do think this is an important anime that everyone should give a shot.

9. My Hero Academia: A solid first season for one of my favorite manga series that I am currently reading. Definitely had some pacing issues and once the moment finally got rolling it ended. Here's to season 2.

10. ReLIFE: A depressed 27 year old gets the opportunity of going back to being a teenager in high school. The premise sounds sketchy as hell but the series thankfully avoids the pittraps of the really annoying tropes. Pretty strong leads and Hishiro in particular was definitely Best!Girl of the year. Too much of the plot melodrama of one of the side characters and the story just kind of ends with new resolution. Fingers crossed for a second season.

Honorable Menitons: 91 Days, Durarara x2: Ketsu, Erased, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Space Patrol Luluco

Currently Watching/Not Completed: All Out, Berserk, Bungou Stray Dogs, Gintama, Haikyuu, MSG: Iron Blooded Orphans II

icedragon08

Neo Member
1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable;
Lost some steam in the middle but the second half was great. One of the best villains and a great main and supporting cast. Felt really sad when it ended which only the best shows manage to do. Also Great Days is the best opening of the year, maybe all time.

2. Sound! Euphonium 2;
Slightly worse than the first season but still a great show. The Asuka arc was fantastic. The last episode made me realize that I will really miss this show. Great cast.

3. Space Patrol Luluco;
Everything thats great about TRIGGER

4. Mob Psycho 100

5. Boungou Stray Dogs Season 2;
Insane improvements over the first season which was boring and uninteresting. Great Flashback arc and the characters really grew on me. Hoping for a third season: I really want to see the next mangaarc adapted.

6. 91 Days;
Amazing last few episodes

7. My Hero Academia;
Made the great moments even better and the manga only gets better from here on out. Can't wait for April but I hope the pacing picks up a bit

8. Re:Zero;
Might not be the best show but was an amazing experience watching it every week

9. Food Wars! The Second Plate;
The tournament arc was rushed but the episodes after saved this season

10. Erased

Honorable Mentions: Durarara!!x2 Ketsu, Kiznaiver, KonoSuba, New Game, Sakamoto desu ga? and Flying Witch

Haven't watched enough OVAs or movies to make a list.
Completed 35 anime and dropped 14

I'm very pleased with my list this year. 2016 has been a much improved year for anime, after a dire 2015 showing.

1. Thunderbolt Fantasy; This show was remarkable. This is absolutely apart of my 3 best shows of the 2010's. The characters, dialogue, action sequences were consistently incredible. I'm really looking forward to where this show goes in season 2.

2. Mob Psycho 100; This show is a masterpiece of animation. With all the sakuga, the beautiful backgrounds, unique techniques on display like paint on glass animation, the show could have had a mediocre story and I'd still put it near the top alone based on its production. Luckily for us the characters and themes are pretty compelling as well.

3. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Diamond Is Unbreakable; David Production really stepped their game up for Diamond is Unbreakable, and if it wasn't for production issues plaguing middle portion of the show I might have even given the show the number 1 spot. The camaraderie among the cast, the incredible villain and David Pro's much improved pacing and direction along with Hirohiko Araki's great source material make this the best Jojo season yet. That said I hope with Part 5 David Pro takes breaks between each cour because halfway into the second cour you could see the production issues catching up to them.

4. Space Patrol Luluco; This is Hiroyuki Imaishi distilled into 13 8 minute shorts, and this works so much better than any of his other shows. All the fun hyperactive animation and storytelling you've come to love from Imaishi without all the boring moments that mar his the other works.

5. Kiznaiver; Kiznaiver hands down takes the award for best opening of the year. The rest of the show is damn good too. Triggers digital effects looked beautiful and I really enjoyed the characters. If the show had stuck the landing better, I would have ranked even higher.

6. Yuri on Ice; This show is has some glaring flaws but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Man this could get very repetitive, but I really enjoyed watching Yuri interact with Victor and Yurio. Also while the animation wasn't exactly consistent I really did enjoy when it looked good. Also this is my runner up for opening of the year.

7. To Be Hero

8. Flying Witch

9. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

10. 91 Days

Triteon

1.Osomatsu-San; Very stupid and very funny with some fairly surreal moments thrown in.

2. Gintama°; Wasn’t the best season of Gintama, not enough funny or Hazagawa but even mediocre Gintama is better that most other TV.

3. Drifters; I like the world building, and the main characters I love that we only glimpse a few things in the first season and a lot remains vague, also there is a lot of killin’ fools.

4. To be Hero; The premise is dumb as hell but some of the enemies and situations are pretty great, runs out of steam tho.

5. Mob Psycho 100; Mob has incredible psychic powers but it’s no big deal, some great fight sequences, characters and interesting designs.

6. Kuromukuro; I binged this in a weekend, it was like comfort food.

7. Koutetsujou no Kabaneri; I liked the animation and the art style, some of the action sequences are pretty good.

8. Ushio to Tora; In the same vein as Kuromukuro binged all of it very quickly and enjoyed it

9. Boku no Hero Academia; The show is fun but it suffers from some drawn out multi episode bullshit.

II watched a fair amount of other Anime but nothing else grabbed me. I also spent a lot of time watching older shows this year, mostly based on recommendations from here. I have to say thank you for those.

jett

D-Member
1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable; I had untold amounts of fun this season. GUREITO.

Next year I'll hopefully be here again for JoJo and One-Punch Man.

massoluk

Banned
1. Konosuba - I don't think I have ever laughed this hard for an anime since FMP Fumoffu, what an unexpected surprise

Ill finish this post later

1. Gundam IBO Season 2.
2. Shokugeki no Souma Season 2.
3. Konosuba!
4. My Hero Academia.
5. Erased.
6. Schwarzesmarken.

Didn't really watch much current anime, spent my time watching the classics like Legend of the Galactic Heroes and all of Gundam UC. Need some more anime recommendations...

2017 is looking crazy good though with seconds season of Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, Konosuba, My Hero Academia, Gundam IBO and the Fate movies too!

jrcbandit

Series:
1. JoJo Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
2. Mob Psycho 100
3. Haikyuu
4. Thunderbolt Fantasy
5. My Hero Academia
6. Yurii!!! On Ice
7. Erased
8. Food Wars
9. Konosuba
10. Re:Zero

DrD

1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
2. Mob Psycho 100

That's all I watched this year but Kira and Reigen are some of my favorite anime characters ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom