• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Anime of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol @ people itt getting pissy about Thunderbolt, an animated show from Japan, counting as anime

Unlike what a lot of people seem to think, Thunderbolt Fantasy is not stop-motion animation like Coraline or Fantastic Mr. Fox, but live video footage of Taiwanese puppeteers acting with the puppets (plus some post-processed effects added on top of the footage).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
oh really? that's neat! I definitely thought it was stop motion. I'm still going to lol @ y'all for quibbling, especially this sentiment:

Well, in technical terms it is an international co-production, which is why it is actually being counted in the awards show.

TV series

1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable.

This series continue to live up to the bizarre name. A teen's daily life in the late 1990s gets weird & dangerous in his quite town. Slice of life + life threatening situations? Sure!

2. Mob Psycho 100

So well animated it's crazy. A teen has psych powers & through the series we see him deal. It's great beacuse it makes you question what responsibilities come when you have power.

3. Yuri on Ice

A sports anime that explores the more emotional side of pro sports. We explore the relationships between coach, rivals & supporters. Pro sports life can be beautiful & also brutal. You need a great support system.

4. My Hero Academia

In a world of great powers a youngman finds himself possibly the best power; his determination & heart. He shows himself, the world, & his mentors he may become the best of the best. We see the same among his classmates.

5. 91 Days

A man is driven by revenge during the prohibition era. He pushes himself to the edge in the pursuit of his goal. What a tabgled web we weave is best applied her. It would be best to say his revenge was akin to a game of chess.

6. Shokugeki no Soma

A young chef finds himself in the thick of competition. To further prove his worth he pushes himself to create better dishes. He strives to overcome his weaknesses with each plate. More rivals & new friends are made.

7. Gundam Iron Blood Orphans Season 2

Child soliders continue to fight for a better future & freedom for Mars. Politics, romance, & behind the scenes strings being pulled. Violent, sad & ohh lawd the mech designs.

8. Concrete Revolutio

Aliens, monsters, superheroes, witches & etc oh my. It all makes sense here even though it doesn't initially. A youngman continues to rebel against society for the truth. He may literally burn anything in his way as he seeks the truth.

9. Drifters

History's misfits for whatever reason are working together in a different dimension. One side wants to end the world & the other wants to rule it. Violent like all heck, plot is "simple" but the leads are honest. They're kicking anyone's ass that stands in front of them.

10.Days

Soccer anime with a very pure hearted lead. It's a basic plot of good kid giving his all. What I really like is he inspires others to do better. The show continues to show how he grows & becomes a better person.

Vecks

TV Series:
1. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. ; This was a really fun, silly and light-hearted comedy with a huge cast of zany characters. The reason why it tops this list is because it has become one of my all-time favorites. I still rewatch episodes every once in a while.
2. My Hero Academia ; As far as shounen battle shows go, this one is solid. There's so much potential for this series going forward. The pacing of the first season feels a bit slow for my tastes, but it still manages to be a great watch.
3. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable ; The latest season of JoJo is the most intriguing so far by retaining the spirit of the series while drastically narrowing the scope into a single town.
4. Haikyuu!! ; All of the seasons have been great, and season 3 was no different. It's kind of crazy to know that the entire season was just one match, but it's packed with such energy that you don't really notice it.
5. Thunderbolt Fantasy ; It's not often that an anime stays consistent. More often than not, they start really strong, and then just fall into a whimper. But Thunderbolt Fantasy was consistent in its writing, plot and visuals from start to finish.
6. Natsume's Book of Friends ; The show is still somewhat repetitive in its design, but it still manages to be soothing and heart-warming all the same.
7. Food Wars!: The Second Plate ; The breakneck pace may have put some people off, but even so, I enjoyed it. The original material stands well enough on its own, even if it's somewhat butchered.
8. Kuromukuro ; Kuromukuro was probably the biggest surprise this year for me. It reminds me of the 90's mecha shows but, as far as anime goes, it's actually rather subdued.The drama, suspense, and twists work well enough. I appreciate what it has accomplished, even if I can't say I particularly loved it.
9. ERASED ; The ending fell flat for me, but the ride up until that point was well worth it.
10. Please Tell Me! Galko-chan ; I don't know what to say about this show. I liked it, but I have no idea why.

MSMrRound

Didn't watch as many titles as you guys (I haven't even started on ReZero heh), so some titles are bound to drop through the gap.

Animations

1.Hibike! Euphonium 2

Nothing. Nothing else quite grabbed my attention like the first season did. It started slow, but once it hit its stride, it was really a piece of animation that I couldn't help but marvel at.

Needless to say I was looking forward to the second season of the anime. Granted, some people pointed out, there was a tad too much of focus on the drama, but as I was already invested in the band, I didn't mind it too much. To me, KyoAni was trying its best to make use of the source materials and adapt it as much as they were able to.

With their animation studio being based in the same area where the novels took place, I could tell that KyoAni was really passionate about the project, and was trying their best to showcase it to the world and showcase it they did, with a vivid world that felt very much alive and not one that's just being used as a set piece.

The amount of quality that they put in week after week was nothing sort of amazing and the production never suffered for it. There were a couple of questionable directions in the middle such as the omitting of a final performance piece, but that was pretty soon justified as to why they went about doing that.

What set Hibike! Euphonium S2 apart from some of the many shows out there to me was also partly of the voice acting. Superbly done, it wasn't forced, but everything sounded really natural, which was kind of a first in an anime for me. Credit of course to Kumiko's VA Ms Tomoyo Kurosawa.

Speaking of which, her teasing during her stage event in Singapore's Anime Festival Asia con this year (do you know what's the meaning behind Hibike! Euphonium?) paid off in spades in the final episode, and the brilliant way it tied into the very first of the season was very well done by KyoAni as well.

Overall a superb experience, and episode 5's concert scene and aftermaths really stood out to me.

2. KonoSuba!

Oh crap it's animated by Studio Deen. Yep, that was my first impression, but that was quickly washed away when I decided to start watching it due to favorable whispers that I heard drifting in the wind.

Trapped in an alternative world was already done to death, but KonoSuba managed to work the trope into something that's genuinely funny and enjoyable to watch.

3. New Game!

Doga Kobo studios return with their trademark cartoony style breathing life into Suzukaze Aoba and her colleagues at Eagle Jump, a fictional game company working on the upcoming release of their highly anticipated sequel to their popular Faeries Story series of game.

Yes the character designs are cute. That's..arguably one of the main reason why I watch it, but the way Aoba and her colleagues rushed around to make things work made it a pretty soothing weekly series for me to watch.

4. Jojo's Bizzare Adventures Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable

Rejoice! Jojo Part 4 did not fall completely apart at the finale! Yoshikage Kira with his not-so-blatant homage to Queen cat-thing of a Stand remains one of the more memorable Jojo villian.

Comparing Part 3 to 4, while Part 3 had a weekly "Stand-of-the-week" feel to it, Part 4 thankfully felt less like that thanks to great supporting characters (here's looking at you Koichi!) which were able to stand their ground against their adversaries, leading for a more engaging experience.

5. Danganronpa 3: Future Side/Despair Side

You would scoff, and yes, a bit of the mystique over the ending of the two games might have been ruined depending on how you look at it but I really enjoyed that quarter of the year where I had two episodes of Danganronpa to look forward to, and even more so, to the reactions of fellow Danganronpa fans like NicoB who famously (in the community anyway) broke down thanks to a certain episode which we shall not name.

The Future 1->Despair 1->Future 2 order of viewing confused quite a few people, but I sort of enjoyed the experiment that Kodaka and Lerche tried. Definitely one kind of an experience.

6. Tales of Zesteria the X

Ufotable. Thank you for doing justice to Alisha aka best Tales of Zesteria design which was otherwise wasted by former Tales game main manager Hideo Baba (still a same at the backlash he got though, I quite liked the guy).

At first I was a bit hesitant thinking that it might go the way of God Eater, but Ufotable just kept on delivering beautiful scenery, well animated fight scenes and what's not.

AND DID I MENTION MORE ALISHA SCENES?

7. Keijo!!!!!!!!

Week after week, Keijo!!!!!!!! (yes, the 8 !s are important) just keep on topping itself. I urge people to at least give it a shot because while it stirs outrage, the show doesn't take itself too seriously and along with a sound effect team that's out to make it as hammy with all those special attack moves, Keijo!!!!!!! is a pure brainless enjoyment.

Where else would you get a cross between a FateGateofBabylon/GaoGaiGarHeavenandHell reference as well as two team-mates that gattai into one single swimsuit and go stomping around making mech noise while someone on the opposing team uses her boob to attack in the quick-draw style?

Does any of these make sense? No, but if you watch it, you might get what I'm talking about.

8. Gi(a)rlish Number

Would have been higher in my list if it kept the momentum that it had going at the start, just Chitose being all snarky and everyone just ripping everyone apart. In the end, decent, but could have been so much more.

9. Space Patrol Luluco

A collection of shorts by Trigger which basically becomes deeper the more you go. A lot of the reference episodes were a hoot, especially the one with Plant KLK. Geez wonder what that's refe-DON'T LOOOOOOSE YOUR WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY-rring....ending had Trigger playing everyone like a damn fiddle. Well done.

10. High School Fleet (Haifuri)

CzVe5RfUsAAia9c.jpg

TORI KAJI IPPAI!!!

Honorable mentions:

Love Live Sunshine (enjoyed it more than what I thought I would. There's the shadow of the original cast but I found myself liking Riko and You quite a bit)
Erased (can we just pretend Erased ended with Kayo's arc? Ending was damn messing, but the early part with Kayo was so damn good. BAKA NANO!?)
Izetta: The Last Witch (solid first episode, but dragged its feet a bit too much. Witches using trains as whips in battle though)

Movies

1. Your Name (Kimi no Na Wa)

My first Shinkai film and I went into the Singapore movie theater completely blind. I haven't watch any of the trailers or whatsoever.

Walked out amazed by what I just saw and found myself thinking about the movie even after a few hours it had ended.

Many of my colleagues and friends went to watch it at least two/three/four times and for good reason too. It's just really that beautiful of a movie.

Sountrack wise it was all composed by one single Japanese rock band and the main 4 vocal songs (as well as some other OSTs) are all really good.

2. Girls Und Panzer Der Film (If it counts)

Man, I didn't realize how much I missed Girls Und Panzer, but the film delivered more than what I could hope for.

Some one and half hour of pure tank fighting involving mazes/ferris wheels/rollercoasters and more. So good.

This film also effectively demonstrates the use of 3DCG and how it can make a movie so much more exciting.

one among a few of my favourite parts:
where the Finland school got down to business and started playing the Säkkijärven Polkka, you better be ready to run!

1. Mob Psycho 100; Incredibly well animated and does pretty well with its theme about growing up
2. Jojo Part IV
3. Konosuba
4. My Hero Academia; Doesn't reinvent the genre but handles its tropes really well and has a childlike fervor from it that you cannot help but root for it. Bones animating it brings it to one of the peaks of the genre.
5. Flip Flappers; Best thing that doesn't have a story
6. Space Patrol Luluco
7. Re:Zero
8. Sansha Sanyou; Incredibly solid slice of life
9. Flying Witch
10. New Game

X. The Lost Village; Best worst anime this year
X. Pokémon Sun and Moon; So good animation

1. Haikyuu
2. Gintama
3. Assassination classroom
4. Mob psycho 100
5. Kuromukuro
6. Kiznaiver
7. Relife
8. Grimgar
9. Erased
10. Bungou stray dogs

I really only feel strongly about haikyuu being the best of the year.

TV Series
1. New Game!
2. Konosuba
3. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
4. Keijo!!!!!!!!
5. GATE
6. momokuri
7. Girlish number
8. Mob Psycho 100
9. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
10. MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM UNICORN RE:0096

Movies
1. The Ancient Magus' Bride

kairu

1. Haikyu!!
2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
3. Sweetness and Lightning
4. Erased
5. My Hero Academia
6. Mob Psycho 100
7. Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure
8. Food Wars
9. New Game
10. Yuri!!! On Ice

JohnTonne

1. Mob Psycho 100
2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
3. Ushio & Tora Season 2
4. ReLIFE
5. KonoSuba
6. My Hero Academia
7. New Game!
8. Please tell me! Galko-chan
9. Bakuon!!
10. Teekyuu

Honorable Mentions:

x. Erased
x. Love Live! Sunshine!!

Thud

Series
1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable
2. Mob Psycho 100
3. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
4. Dragon Ball Super (Future Trunks Arc) ; it counts goddamnit.
5. Pokemon Generations
6. The File of Young Kindaichi Returns 2nd Season

x. Thunder Bolt Fantasy ; will watch this soon

Films

1. Persona 3 the Movie - #4 Winter of Rebirth
2. Digimon Adventure tri. chapter 3: Confession
3. Digimon Adventure tri. chapter 2: Determination

x. Shin Godzilla
x. The Red Turtle

I mostly watched older anime.

Ascheroth

I'm too lazy to do anything fancy this year.

1. Mob Psycho 100
3. Haikyuu!!
4. Kiznaiver
5. Kuromukuro
6. Thunderbolt Fantasy
7. Tales of Zestiria the X
8. Konosuba
9. Re:Zero
10. Active Raid S2

x. Heavy Object
x. Gintama; already voted for it last year
x. Space Patrol Luluco
x. Ushio and Tora S2
x. My Hero Academia
x. Alderamin on the Sky
x. To Be Hero

God damn, 10 places are not enough.

ohlawd

I'm sorry Chrome peeps

Series:
aokanapby8e.gif

10. Aokana: Four Rhythm Across the Blue ; Can I haz season 2 with Misaki focus pls?

sanshadsx8i.gif

9. Three Leaves, Three Colors ; Where do I buy bread crusts to snack on?

wastelandnyyzw.gif

8. Girls Beyond the Wasteland ; So much bad drama in the middle, man. Teenage angst at its worst. The girls tho.

witch78l2t.gif

7. Flying Witch ; chill af.

newgameyqbrk.gif

6. New Game! ; Aoba must have a ballin' portfolio if she got into a game company straight outta high school.

loveliveiaygf.gif

5. Love Live! Sunshine!! ; KONO DIA DA
BU BUUUUUUUUUUUU DESU WA
Dia > You > Yohane > the rest

hibiket7xiz.gif

4. Sound! Euphonium Season 2 ; Pseudo-yuri is back with a vengeance. Mizore x Nozomi is my fave couple.

netogep4xaj.gif

3. And You Thought There is Never a Girl Online? ; Best girl might actually be the teacher.

galko2dxle.gif

2. Please Tell Me! Galko-chan ; This year's Wakaba Girl. Funny short. Gyarurun~

konosubafbxty.gif

1. Give Blessings to this Wonderful World! ; WAGA MEGUMIN something something

girlishpoyzd.gif

x. Gi(a)rlish Number ; Chitose is a goof. Blew my mind Koto is voiced by Yui Ishikawa.

ridersycza8.gif

x. Long Riders! ; Aoi's VA tho ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

sakamotocju15.gif

x. Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto ; lol

amanchuifazz.gif

x. Amanchu! ; Teachers the real MVP this anime year.

bakuontryxr.gif

x. Bakuon!! ; lawd Rin in her motorcycle racing suit. I'll buy a Suzuki bike when I get the money.

gatexzl1y.gif

x. Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There! Season 2 ; That drunk Rory scene tho

By the way, has Ami Koshimizu been in a hentai before? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

myriad-copy9cauk.gif

x. Myriad Colors Phantom World ; SHIRABE SHIRABE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Y'know I was gonna put in this gif of Mai fondling herself but nah. Or that limbo scene lol

OVAs:
aria2vjqq.png

2. ARIA The AVVENIRE ; need moar ARIA in mah life ;_;

yaharibzkq3.png

1. My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Expected ; Looking at the wrong girl, you scrub

Faerith

Neo Member
Anime that didn't make this list: Macross D (stopped watching), Hero Academy (stopped watching), Watashi ga motete desuthingy which I finished (I think?) but which was not without it's problems.

TV Shows
1. Shouwa Genroku Rakuko Shinjuu ; I learned what Rakuko is and liked it? (Great voiceacting) Also the human drama was good. Nice mature show.
2. Yuri on Ice; While the wobbly/frame-missing skating-animation bothered me I liked the relationship betwenn Yuri and Viktor, was cute. Def. better than most sport-anime.
3. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans S2; A suprisingly good Gundam-series- especially coming from that last one... - although Mr.Chocolate IS super-creepy.
4. Haven't you heard? I'm Sakamoto; Cool, cooler, coolest! A comedy anime with style. Strangely enough it makes me want to rewatch Cromartie High. o_ô
5. Orange;
6. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash; Suprised me with being better than expected.
7. Arslan Senki: Fuujin Ranbu; Still a very inferior Pharangese, ugly Gieve, (actually uglier everyone *yells at cloudbush*) but it's more Arslan and continues beyond the old OVAs even if it's wordier, so of course this gets a spot on the list even if I'm all complainy.

Mik317

1. Kiznaiver
2. Mob Psycho 100
3. Space Patrol Luluco
4. Konosuba
5. Jojo's Bizarre Adventures: Diamond is Unbreakable
6. My Hero Academia
7. Flip Flappers
8. Gintama°
9. Occultic;Nine
10. Osomatsu-san

I'm too lazy to do anything fancy this year.

1. Mob Psycho 100
3. Haikyuu!!
4. Kiznaiver
5. Kuromukuro
6. Thunderbolt Fantasy
7. Re:Zero
8. Konosuba
9. To Be Hero
10. Heavy Object

x. Gintama; already voted for it last year
x. Space Patrol Luluco
x. Ushio and Tora S2
x. My Hero Academia
x. Alderamin on the Sky

Was tempted to also vote for Heavy Object (2nd half was great earlier this year). Still one of my favorite LN based anime ever. Qwenthur/Havia forever, and ALL OFF is still such a great group.

zoku88

1. Lupin 3rd ; I forgot this was this year until I saw it in people's list. Visually beautiful and its impossible not to love Lupin.

2. Thunderbolt Fantasy ; I was pretty surprised for this. I didn't really have a good impression of doll based shows before, but they made it work really well. Urobuchi, you never let me down.

3. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable ; JoJo is always good and this might be my favorite part so far. I really loved the transitions in this one (early in the series) and the characters were entertaining. Might have been higher, but some of the episodes ended up having bad animation quality. And that janken episode :S

4. Osomatsu ; It's like Gintama, but with sextuplets.

5. Gintama ; I think part of this was this year. Gintama would also normally rank higher, but I usually enjoy the comedy parts of it more than the serious ones.

7. Mob Pyscho 100 ; I like the general theme of the show of a super strong hero who really just wants to be normal.

8. Konosuba ; I was already familar with the manga form of this. The anime is actually better, though. The vocal delivery of Kazuma's lines are superb.

9. Space Control Luluco ; The good Trigger show this year. Just fun.

10. Shinobi Girl and Samurai Master ; Pretty much the same as above.

Movies
1. Shin Godzilla ; I see this on people's list so I guess it counts? Not really sure why it would. I don't think I've ever felt so excited AFTER watching a movie before. Please tell me there is going to be more.

2. Kizumonogatari ; The only 2D movie I watched this year. It's visually pretty great. Since it's the first movie, the plot wasn't THAT exciting, but im really lookign foward to the sequels.

EDIT: My list is hurt by the fact that I generally prefer manga to anime and will only watch the anime version if I heard it is animated very well.

LotusHD

Banned
*actually starts paying attention to other people's lists

Wait, Thunderbolt Fantasy was actually good? Wait, Urobuchi worked on this?!?!

1. Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-
    Amazing show. I couldn't wait for the next episode every week. I was constantly entertained, and that is what I look for in an anime.
  2. Assassination Classroom 2nd Season
    The continuation of Assassination Classroom, and also the end of it. It's hard to end a show like this, but I think they did a decent job of it. Nagisa spin-off when?
  3. Mob Psycho 100
    I actually didn't really like this at first. The first few episodes were pretty boring to me, but then the show picked up and I couldn't wait to watch it more.
  4. My Hero Academia
    Manga is great, and the adaptation is really good too. The start of the manga is slow and not very interesting, so they couldn't do much with the anime. Couldn't ask for much more other than season 2, which is coming.
  5. Ajin: Demi-Human
    Very underrated show that many won't watch because of the CGI animation. It took me a few minutes to get used to it, and the animation is actually amazing. Both seasons are entertaining and the fights were great to see. Highly recommended.
  6. Food Wars! The Second Plate
    Continuation of another great series. First few episodes were rough but it eventually got back to how it was in the first season.
  7. Orange
    A show I wasn't expecting to like as much as I did. Very emotional, and not many anime can accomplish conveying this much emotion in so few episodes. Plot holes aside, it was pretty good.
  8. 91 Days
    Sounded interesting, and it ended up being interesting. A show that I couldn't wait to watch the next episode because of the suspense, and constant mysteries unraveling.
  9. Erased
    Started off really good and then ended not in the greatest way, but it was overall entertaining. Animation was great for the most part, the voice actors were good, and soundtrack was also good.
  10. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
    More JoJo. Start was slow, and I didn't care too much for the villain. He felt really small to me, and it felt like the characters could've handled him a lot easier. Either way, it was decent but not as good as Part 2.

Evilisk

List
TV Series
1. Mob Psycho 100
I absolutely loved this. Aside from the excellently done visual style and animation of the show, the comedy and the likable characters, I also really appreciated how the latter end of the show was handled. I've seen way too many shows I've liked devolve into bland shonen (Bleach, Beelzebub, Reborn), so seeing MP100 ending the way it does was really refreshing.

2. Jojo's Bizarre Adventures: Diamond is Unbreakable
I wasn't too interested in this until the main antagonist was introduced, but the moment he was, the show just had me completely hooked. Despite the smaller focus, I really enjoyed the reoccurring characters, the main cast and the battles (which were by far better done than in SDC, especially the penultimate battle for the show).

3. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Despite generally not liking drama, and also not even knowing what Rakugo was prior to this show, this show did an excellent job at pulling me in. Probably one of the best written shows I watched all year, though I really really like action, hence the placement below DiU and MP100.

4. Gintama°
As much as I love Gintama, and as much of a drastic change up the arcs that aired in 2016 brought to the formula, I did end up dropping this lower because I just really like Gintama's comedy episodes (and that was basically absent from what aired in 2016). I also just didn't have the show on my mind quite as much as the top 2/3 shows, so it seemed fair for those three to be above Gintama.

5. Lupin III
Despite not ever watching any Lupin III show before, I found this to be a really entertaining watch. Not all of the episodes were winners (with many having quite predictable and/or unsatisfying endings) but the good episodes were great, and despite most episodes not being "winners", I still found myself consistently looking forward to the show on a weekly basis.

6. My Hero Academia
This was really mixed for me. While I found the protagonist, the starting and ending episodes of the show to be very compelling, I was also thoroughly bored for the middle episodes of the show. I'm still greatly looking forward to the second season, but the brought it brought the show down (for me at least)

7. Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song
While I can't really vouch for the storytelling chops of Concrete Revolutio (as you're probably gonna have to watch it more than once) I did greatly enjoy the setting, the world building and all of the references. (I'm actually reminded of Venture Bros, though without the comedy, the excellent writing and it references/deconstructs Shouwa Era media, as opposed to VB with Johnny Quest/the space age)

8. Flying Witch
This had some pretty cute moments, and it was certainly better than a lot of other (unlisted) dribble I watched in 2016. While I'll admit I was a little bored with it (Slice of Life might not be my thing, looking back), I certainly couldn't put it on the level of BSD or Sakamoto (simply due to being well more executed than either) so it gets a [last place] vote from me.

Honorable Mentions
X. Bungou Stray Dogs
This show had a bunch of problems for me; the first was the way the second season was handled (it crammed a solid but probably unnecessary flashback arc at the start of S2, and as a result, ended up making the following arc feel very rushed, especially towards the end). It also introduced way, way too many new characters in a show that already felt like it had too many/wasn't spending enough time with the existing ones. Despite this, I did really like the characters the show did focus on, and despite how rushed it was, I felt the finale tied a satisfying enough bow around the show that I wouldn't mind watching another season of the show.

X. Sakamoto desu ga?
While this felt like a really spotty adaptation in places (especially with episode 1 and a certain CG sequence), I found this to be a ridiculously entertaining watch. I didn't give this a proper vote because I haven't read the original manga, and I'm not entirely convinced on the competency of the anime as an adaptation.

Dishonorable Mentions
X. Fairy Tail Zero
This is my own fault for getting excited (I didn't read FT0 fully beforehand) but this was such a huge disappointment. I was fooled by the first few episodes into thinking this was actually going to be good but nope. The beginning must have been a fluke or something because if you compare the beginning and the ending (of the Zero episodes) they don't even feel like the same show. Again though, I really should have known better so this one is on me for getting excited.

Opening of the Year
Great Days
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

Runner Ups
99 (Mob Psycho 100)
chase (Diamond is Unbreakable OP2)
Theme from Lupin III 2015
Ashita wo Narase (Fairy Tail 2014)

ggx2ac

TV Series:
1. The Great Passage ; The mundane setting of a company working to complete a dictionary belies the passion, interaction and nuances present. The theme of writing a dictionary gives great insight into the world of words and how each word written into a dictionary is not objective as its meaning is interpreted by its author and is reflected by the times, society and environment present. This becomes very evident when each episode reaches the beginning of the EP and being overcome by the music a word appears with a written meaning which is most likely to have been written by the main character as it is reflected by the events that happened in that episode. The characters are well grounded and have passion for the work they do as a result of the companionship they show each other, their enthusiasm for their work grows the further along they get to know each other. The show is well paced and has a sound conclusion, when you give a mundane setting with a simple end goal, the journey through that story isn't just what produces the destination, it is the events preceding it that give the ending a significance.
2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu ;
3. Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- ;
4. Thunderbolt Fantasy ;
5. Kiznaiver ;
6. Haikyuu ;
7. Alderamin on the Sky ;
8. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable ;
9. KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! ;
10. Mob Psycho 100 ;

Sölf

It's that time of year again, eh?

1. Gintama°; It's Gintama. And oh boy, was it good. This started last year and ended in the Winter 15/16 season. I am hyped as fuck for the next arc, especially since the story now became much more serious that it was before. And damn, Sorachi can do this so well.

2. 91 Days; It's the Godfather meets anime. I already knew I would like this one from the get go, but I never imagined it being so damn good! It's nothing really new if you watch western mafia movies or series, but since there is basically nothing like this in anime, it's an instant classic. And if Gintama wouldn't have aired, this would be my definitive show of the year.

3. Boku no Hero Academia; Man, THIS FUCKING SHOW! I immediatly started to read the manga afterwards, which is something I rarely do because I prefer anime. But holy shit, the anime was already so good and people were not kidding when they said, you haven't seen nothing yet. S2 can't come soon enough.

4. Keijo!!!!!!!!; Say what you want, but with such a stupid background and the in universe seriousness this was just so damn funny. I had way to much fun with this show and I really hope we will get a second season.

5. Re: Zero; I only started watching this when it was already halfway through, damn what a good show. Since there is so much more material, I would love to see a second season, especially after knowing what happens directly after the anime ended.

6. Heavy Object; Similar to Keijo!!!!!!!! I didn't think I would have that much fun with this show. While the fanservice at the beginning was annoying, they thankfully toned it down later on. Also, Qwenthur and Havia were absolute best buds, I loved the interactions those two had throughout the whole show.

7. Handa-kun; This is bacially reverse Sakamoto and much funnier. While Sakamoto got somewhat dull after some time, Handa-kun just got more and more fun the longer it went on. Fucking ERASER totally destroyed me. xD

8. Thunderbolt Fantasy; Man, this show, I paused it after 2 episodes, but when I finished it it was so damn good. The beginning was a bit slow, but after the first 4-5 episodes it was nonstop action. It's like watching the Blade & Soul anime that never came through (or any other great Wuxia film for that matter).

9. Sekkou Boys; I didn't know what to expect, but it certainly wasn't this. And it was funny as hell, oh god some of the later episodes were just insane. I would love more craziness like this in the future.

10. Space Patrol Luluco; Imaishi did it again! He even managed to put in feels into this crazy ride. God damn Imaishi, never change please.

---------------------------

Movies/OVAs

1. Gintama - Love Potion Arc; It's fucking Gintama. And god, since many of the comedy side stories were missing from the last season, this OVA came as a godsend. I haven't laughed so much in some time.

2. Konosuba OVA; God, Kazuma... xD This was definitly more on the ecchi side, but it was still as funny as the show.

3. Prison School OVA; This was basically just more batshit insanity after the conclusion of the anime. That's all I wanted. And I got it. I definitly need to start with the manga soon.

4. Overlord Ple Ple Peiades; Well, it's definitly different from the normal show, but I had my fun with it. And since I basically didn't watch any OVAs, this is in here. If you like Overlord, you definitly will get a laugh out of this.

---------------------------

Honorable Mentions

Starting with the fifth place, I had no idea what to put there, since I more or less enjoyed most of the listed ones the same. These here can be added to the list, even though they didn't make the list.

- Konosuba
- Drifters
- Sakamoto desu ka?
- Joker Game
- Mob Psycho 100
- Cheating Craft
- To be Hero
- Show by Rock!!#
- Oshiete! Galko-chan
- Dagashi Kashi
- Boku dake ga Inai Machi
- Dimension W
- GATE S2
- Shokugeki no Souma S2
- Alderamin on the Sky
- Arslan Senki S2
- JoJo part 4 (only at Episode 10 at the moment)
- Iron Blooded Orphans (only seen the first episode so far)

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Just realized I watched very few animes this year...

TV Series

tumblr_oe9wkyBlUB1r2rp33o1_540.gif

1. Naruto Shippuden

tumblr_o5bw7rbRcT1sv5krro1_540.gif

2. JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

tumblr_o7i3gwh2Ga1smzgcuo1_540.gif

3. My Hero Academia

tumblr_o4ncnwyToE1sjroblo1_500.gif

4. Berserk

OVA

tumblr_o9y9z8KykJ1vwg52po2_500.gif

1. Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV

Series
1. Haikyuu!!
2. Ace of Diamond
3. Mob Psycho 100
4. Thunderbolt Fantasy
5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
6. KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!
7. Scorching Ping Pong Girls
8. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
9. Keijo!!!!!!!!
10. Gintama

Films/OVAs:
1. Kuroko's Basketball Movie 1: Winter Cup Highlights - Shadow and Light
2. Ace of Diamond Second Season OVA

I have to fucking chime in here. Just binge watched all of Erased last night because of it placing on a lot of people's lists in this thread. I dunno if not watching it weekly had this effect, but the last two episodes were so incredibly bad that it's left such a horrible taste in my mouth. Usually wasted potential doesn't bother me this much, but I was so into Erased that i just can't get over the direction it went.

I know endings are pretty important to me, so I'm glad others are able to separate their feelings from the ending and the rest of the show (or maybe there are peeps who actually enjoyed it), but man, I am gutted. Such a letdown.

---

Alright I'll actually throw a list here in a second - seems like I watched more 2016 shows than I thought.

Jex

I have to fucking chime in here. Just binge watched all of Erased last night because of it placing on a lot of people's lists in this thread. I dunno if not watching it weekly had this effect, but the last two episodes were so incredibly bad that it's left such a horrible taste in my mouth. Usually wasted potential doesn't bother me this much, but I was so into Erased that i just can't get over the direction it went.

I know endings are pretty important to me, so I'm glad others are able to separate their feelings from the ending and the rest of the show (or maybe there are peeps who actually enjoyed it), but man, I am gutted. Such a letdown.
I don't know, I think the thread pretty accurately mirrors people's reactions to the show as it concluded. As you'll note, most people either have Erased in their top 5 shows of the year or they don't include it on the their list at all. I think this really speaks to how people feel about the ending.

I remember discussing the show as it aired and I, like most people, were very positive about the show when it started. However, as things progressed I became less and less happy with the series until it concluded in a fairly unsatisfactory manner.

Some people don't let the ending of the series mar their appreciation for what the rest of the show accomplished. Others liked the series throughout its run and legitimately enjoyed the finale. Plenty of people turned it on as well. It's fair to say that it had a very mixed reception.

petran79

Banned
Didnt want to watch that much, so I'll list the only series I watched:

Series:

1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
By far the best manga adaptation to TV, next to the 1993 OVA. From start to finish. Only very few boring moments. Finally a fighting series that adults can also watch.

2. Kiznaiver
Had any other studio made the animation, the whole premise would be less interesting. But even with an average story, Trigger manages to impress if they decide to make serious animation for once.

3.Space Patrol Luluco
After the so and so Ninja Slayer and Inferno Cop, finally a humorous show that balances things right, though it does not reach Panty and Stocking notoriety.

4.Berserk
Cant say I was impressed but if you are open-minded, especially after reading the manga, series is fine. If you didnt, you'd rather watch the original series first or the movies.

Films/OVA

1. Miss Hokusai.
Despite the slow pacing and the unique characterization, this movie is outstanding. It takes an adult approach to the era, without idealizing characters. Very detailed, yet without diving into formalism. I found it better than Ghibli's The Wind Rises.

2. Harmony
A directing collaboration between Michael Arias and Takashi Nakamura. You get the best of both in animation and character development. Story didnt have so much time to be fully explained, but at least the characters make up for it. Most mature yuri scene ever. One of the good sci-fi dystopian movies.

3.Aria the Avennire
A stand alone TV episode not featured in the manga, yet it brings the series to a satisfactory conclusion. The magical realism elements are used again to the best, together with the soothing characters, settings and colors.

4.Girls und Panzer Gekijouban
A finale to this peculiar series that combines the use of heavy tanks with cute girls. Plenty of action and tactics, combined with lots of comedy without any fanservice. Though I preferred something similar with WWI planes.

5. Boy and the Beast
While not the best Hosoda movie, it managed to be enjoyable. Though didnt feature anything new to the table. Characters werent that interesting either

LotusHD

Banned

That's basically where I'm at. A good ending is basically everything to me, so like you said, I really hate when a show wastes its own potential and fucks up the landing.

Honestly, at first I didn't even want to put it in my list at all. That being said, I thought long and hard, and decided to put it at the very bottom of it. Because as people who watched Erased know, those first 9-10 episodes were really fucking good at the end of the day, back in a time when I genuinely thought that we had found the AOTY already. Then it just screws all that up. Normally I'd subtract big points from a show messing up its ending, but just this once at least, I decided to make an exception.

I don't know, I think the thread pretty accurately mirrors people's reactions to the show as it concluded. As you'll note, most people either have Erased in their top 5 shows of the year or they don't include it on the their list at all. I think this really speaks to how people feel about the ending.

I remember discussing the show as it aired and I, like most people, were very positive about the show when it started. However, as things progressed I became less and less happy with the series until it concluded in a fairly unsatisfactory manner.

Some people don't let the ending of the series mar their appreciation for what the rest of the show accomplished. Others liked the series throughout its run and legitimately enjoyed the finale. Plenty of people turned it on as well. It's fair to say that it had a very mixed reception.

Oh no you're definitely right - I guess I didn't convey that I wasn't expecting my disappointment with the ending to match or exceed people here. The first episode introduces a time travel mechanic, so I was already pretty much ready for shenanigans. And things were just so great up until that point that I thought hey - I've watched some bad shit before, what's the worst that could happen?

Basically I thought "I won't let a controversial ending stop me from watching a show on people's best of the year list." Egg on my face. Should've braced myself more.

That's basically where I'm at. A good ending is basically everything to me, so like you said, I really hate when a show wastes its own potential and fucks up the landing.

Honestly, at first I didn't even want to put it in my list at all. That being said, I thought long and hard, and decided to put it at the very bottom of it. Because as people who watched Erased know, those first 9-10 episodes were really fucking good at the end of the day, back in a time when I genuinely thought that we had found the AOTY already. Then it just screws all that up. Normally I'd subtract big points from a show messing up its ending, but just this once at least, I decided to make an exception.

You've got a good point, and maybe by the end of January I won't be looking back at it so harshly. It was just so damn jarring to go from "great" to "dumpster" in one episode's time.

It sucks even more for me because these kind of thriller, crime, mystery etc Shows are my thing - not even just with anime.

Linkark07

Banned

It is almost the same as Death Note, a superb beginning that keeps you entertained and then the author drops the ball on the final part. Shame, since Erased was actually good.

That said, the anime and manga have different paths after the Past arc ends. But both are still bad anyways.

Mendrox

TV Series
1. JoJo Diamond is Unbreakable
2. My Hero Academia
3. Haikyuu!!
4. Re:Zero
5. Mob Psycho 100
6. Danganronpa
7. KonoSuba
8. Keijoo!!!
9. Kiznaiver
10. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Movies
1. Your Name

Soundtrack
1. My Hero Academia
2. Haikyu Season 2
3. Kiznaiver

Openings
1. Lay your hands on me - Kiznaiver
2. Great Days - JoJo DiU

Cornbread78

You've got a good point, and maybe by the end of January I won't be looking back at it so harshly. It was just so damn jarring to go from "great" to "dumpster" in one episode's time.

It sucks even more for me because these kind of thriller, crime, mystery etc Shows are my thing - not even just with anime.

Even though the ending faultered a little, I still felt the show was my favorite overall (as a whole series) experience of the year. The whole series was captivating and I looked forward to watching each week more than any other show (really close with Kobosuba, lol) The real emotional aspect of the show put it on top for me.

Hugstable

Banned
1. Tanaka-kun is always Listless
2. Re:zero
3. Mob Psycho 100
4. Konosuba
5. Space Patrol Luluco
6. Flying Witch
7. Konobi
8. Flip Flappers
9. New Game

my list is probably terrible lol. Still alot of stuff I haven't seen yet like Eupho and Working and such. I got alot of anime I need to catch up on sometime

You can put me on the camp that was very disappointed with Erased. I too thought it would be a serious candidate for AOTY while watching the first half. Then it slowly started getting worse, and worse up until the ending. It didn't make the cut on my list, not even on the honourable mentions because it left me with such a bad taste in my mouth. I thought that giving it time to marinate in my head would maybe make my opinion change a bit, but it didn't.

It is almost the same as Death Note, a superb beginning that keeps you entertained and then the author drops the ball on the final part. Shame, since Erased was actually good.

That said, the anime and manga have different paths after the Past arc ends. But both are still bad anyways.

Ah shit that's disappointing. It's unfortunate because there were all these moments that I thought were gonna be great elements of foreshadowing, or certainly we would revisit and in the end nah. Nothing. Definitely felt similar to Death Note - the wheels just fly off.

Watch Rakugo instead of Erased please

On it next.

Even though the ending faultered a little, I still felt the show was my favorite overall (as a whole series) experience of the year. The whole series was captivating and I looked forward to watching each week more than any other show (really close with Kobosuba, lol) The real emotional aspect of the show put it on top for me.

See I wonder if I had watched it weekly if that's where I'd be. I was totally hooked by ep 2, to the point that I almost didn't wait to watch it with my fiancée. The pacing was right on point, cast was great, writing generally hit the mark, music and visuals all check out. I even enjoyed episode 10 despite things going prettt but so by that point (though I had a few far fetched hopes about where the plot would go - it didn't). I'm just salty that it couldn't conclude without shitting the bed I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom