• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2011 Awards (Up: bunch of extra data, check it out!)

Social games and phone games exist mostly outside of this process. They're not a part of the evolutionary process that video game enthusiasts have been following.

Bullshit.

(I mean, that might be an accurate description of the reasoning people apply, but the actual factual argument is bullshit.)

I'm a bit bummed that Alice somehow passed by this board. Highly underrated.

Yes, I too am frequently surprised when the ten-years-late sequels of terrible games are overlooked.

I'll get all of the votes ironed out, hopefully in 12-18 hours. Thanks for your patience.

Thumbs up, dude!

Riposte said:
IDK, worrying about inefficiencies when it comes to consuming entertainment seems like a machine failing to understand human nature with a flawed algorithm.
Kinda like when you complain about game balance in RPG threads? :p

Joking. I love when people post stuff like that, even though I don’t mind badly balanced games all the time.

Portal 2 is not a bad game by any means but I don't think it's one of the best games of the year. Beyond being an unnecessary sequel, I don't think it really lived up to the first game. GlaDOS was no longer a surprise, and the original game had tighter pacing and better puzzles.

4CBBA.png

That comic always makes me laugh because Portal 1 used specially bordered panels, laser turret lines, extruded panels, scorch marks, and yes, lone white panels, to tell you "shoot portal here" in the exact same way as Portal 2's white panels.

Dungeons of Dredmor and King of Dragon Pass. The latter is the iOS game, which is a modified version of an older PC game. The other three games on my list were the top 3 from this year (which I had at 2/4/5).

Ah, okay. I'm familiar with both. Dredmor I enjoyed a lot and I have Dragon Pass but have yet to really sit down and get into it.

beastmode

Wish I remembered to vote. Battlefield 3 derserves a much higher spot but these awards are for popularity as much as they are for quality.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wish I remembered to vote. Battlefield 3 derserves a much higher spot but these awards are for popularity as much as they are for quality.

I totally forgot that game exists. Do people still play it or have they all gone back to Call of Duty?

Wallach

Ah, okay. I'm familiar with both. Dredmor I enjoyed a lot and I have Dragon Pass but have yet to really sit down and get into it.

DoD was a shoe-in for GotY on my end. That was before the expansion, too. I didn't do a descent with the new content until this afternoon (which was my third, though the second Dredmor killed me due to one of their older bugs). Realm of the Diggle Gods is fucking ace, grab it if you don't have it, if not just for the new skills. Veganism and Big Game Hunter are my favorites of the new batch.

Amusingly KoPD is by far the most hardcore game out of the five on my list, and it is on iOS. The lore for that game is just great though; it's actually incorporated heavily in the gameplay so you're forced to learn about it in-depth and actually role play as the clan would. Something about that is incredibly appealing to me, and makes me wish modern games were as thoughtful.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I totally forgot that game exists. Do people still play it or have they all gone back to Call of Duty?

Everyone in my clique thought the stock maps were largely rubbish, myself included. They all went back to CS / TF2.

I'm still surprised it only landed at 15 though. GAF was losing its mind over BF3 for awhile there.

Fredescu

Bullshit.

(I mean, that might be an accurate description of the reasoning people apply, but the actual factual argument is bullshit.)
What a terrible post, but since it's you:

They're not. Social games deliberately so. Branching off from the enthusiast process would limit their appeal when their goal is broader appeal. So they start from scratch and make things accessible as possible. This seems so self evident that I'm sure you're not referring to social games.

Phone games are different of course, but they still tend to be puzzle or arcade style quick fun games that don't lend themselves to message board discussion in the way that pretty much the entire top 20 and most of your own top 10 do. Just in case this is a controversial statement, the mobile top 5 from last year:

Mobile Game of the Year: Game Dev Story [IOS][AND]
2. Angry Birds [IOS][AND]
3. Fruit Ninja [IOS]
4. Infinity Blade [IOS]
5. Cut the Rope [IOS]

Still, it's obviously less clear for phone games than social games, and games with depth do already exist on phone based platforms. It's not depth that gets people talking on message boards though, it's memorable experiences. Based on most of the voting over the years, that seems to involve direct control of a character. Only one of the mobile top five above involve that, while all of the 2011 top 10 involve that. I'll be interested to see the 2011 mobile top 5, but do you think it's likely to involve mostly direct character control games, in the way that the current top 10 does? I doubt it, but if it does I'll accept that I'm wrong and ignorant of the state of phone based gaming and such.

So I guess the key to my argument is that direct character control is a key part of the "enthusiast console game" tradition, and those kinds of experiences are not (yet?) that common on phone based platforms. I also don't think that phone games are likely to break the GAF top 20 until direct character control games are common place and someone nails it and makes a memorable game that can stand among the best in the console tradition. Perhaps that will come, but if Infinity Blade is any indication I think we're a ways off.

There are people who believe the results of this are a sign of gamers in general losing interest in FPS games? Someone needs to check the highest selling games of 2011.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There are people who believe the results of this are a sign of gamers in general losing interest in FPS games? Someone needs to check the highest selling games of 2011.

no

No one has really said that, as far as I know, it's just that Call of Duty hasn't been a top choice on here for a few years at least.

Evlar

Banned

No, that's not at all what I'm arguing. I was saying that FPS are becoming less popular as GOTY contenders among the kind of enthusiasts who populate GAF, not that FPS are becoming less profitable. That profitability definitely implies popularity among the general gaming public.

I mean, before CoD was the annual sales champ the title of "most profitable" usually went to Madden. I don't recall that sports franchise (or any other) regularly ringing bells in the GAF GOTY thread, yet it was still unquestionably very popular.

Anth0ny

Portal 2 is not a bad game by any means but I don't think it's one of the best games of the year. Beyond being an unnecessary sequel, I don't think it really lived up to the first game. GlaDOS was no longer a surprise, and the original game had tighter pacing and better puzzles.

4CBBA.png

I also preferred Portal 1 but 2 was still fantastic and definitely deserving of GOTY.

fernoca

I really liked Modern Warfare 3, even when I played the Wii version. Heck, was just playing online today. I still suck, but at least still fun. :p
My votes were:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2. Mortal Kombat
3. Portal 2
4. L.A. Noire
5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
6. Pokémon: White Version / Black Version
7. Kirby: Return to Dreamland
8. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
9. FAST: Racing League
10. MotoHeroz
#1 an #3 ended in the Top 5, and #2 ended #25; but was the "top fighting game" at least. :)

Opiate

What a terrible post, but since it's you:

They're not. Social games deliberately so. Branching off from the enthusiast process would limit their appeal when their goal is broader appeal. So they start from scratch and make things accessible as possible. This seems so self evident that I'm sure you're not referring to social games.

I strongly disagree. Social mechanics are self evidently the most important game mechanics explored in the last 5 years (both at a local and networked level), so I definitely do not concur that social games are not "pushing interesting boundaries." Social mechanics -- like those found in Farmville, Gardens of Time, and Cityville -- went virtually unexplored for decades, while we explored comparatively minute crevices of other mechanical fields. Mechanics like sharing your progress with friends, or actually progressing through the game based on friend participation, went criminally underutilized for most of the history of video games (though not through the history of gaming).

If you mean mechanics which many on NeoGAF happen to personally care about, then that is a different discussion.

stupei

That comic always makes me laugh because Portal 1 used specially bordered panels, laser turret lines, extruded panels, scorch marks, and yes, lone white panels, to tell you "shoot portal here" in the exact same way as Portal 2's white panels.

But people thought that was too subtle.

Then the sequel turns to "well fine, stark white tiles in otherwise grey environments with a strong light cast on the portable surface" and yet people still complained about getting lost.

It was a rhetorical question, I saw someone saying that in the thread... so get lost.

The fuck?

If you don't want responses on a forum perhaps it's best to follow your own advice.

What's the User Affinity Data going to be? Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure what it is.

It calculates other users who had lists similar to your own. It's helpful in that you can theoretically keep an eye out for their opinions in other discussions throughout the year and know that you have at least somewhat similar tastes.

Opiate

It's pretty simple -- people tend to speak more colloquially on a forum like GAF. If you were to read your posts aloud and imagine a person speaking to you that way, they would come across as "stuffy" or even robotic to many people. And your posts tend to lack emotional phrasing.

Please note that I don't mean any of this as a slam on you. I enjoy your posts, and I appreciate the attempts to raise the discourse. But that's my perception on why people might say that.

I would argue that the opposite should be true, for two reasons:

1) We are a large group of people who do not know each other especially well, so it's difficult to keep track of hundreds if not thousands of readers and remember precisely who (for example) is being sarcastic when they make a racist joke, as distinct from those who are simply racist.

2) Tone is lost on the internet, so in cases where people do make a racist joke (keeping the example), it's much harder to tell whether you're being sarcastic or not. If someone I did not know used a hugely exaggerated "sarcastic voice" in real life, I would probably understand that they were being sarcastic anyway, just by that tone. That capability -- alone with any other form of ineffable expression, including body language -- is lost on the internet.

In other words, behavior which would be appropriate in a small group of close friends who know you well can be much less formal than behavior in a large group of loose friends who probably don't even know your name in real life. I'm aware, of course, that few treat it that way, but rationally I believe it's more constructive to approach it that way, because of these deficits in communication.

Fredescu

If you mean mechanics which many on NeoGAF happen to personally care about, then that is a different discussion.
Of course that's what I mean, since that's what you asked in the first place. I'm not saying that social games aren't pushing their own boundaries, but that they are part of an altogether different tradition, and one that is less likely to result in discussion on any GAF like forum. Big budget MMOs do though, because as well as being social games, they also head in the "memorable direct control experience" direction.

The fuck?

If you don't want responses on a forum perhaps it's best to follow your own advice.

Not everything warrants a response, sometimes we're just here to enlighten others, because it isn't possible for others to enlighten us.

I would argue that the opposite should be true, for two reasons:

1) We are a large group of people who do not know each other especially well, so it's difficult to keep track of hundreds if not thousands of readers and remember precisely who (for example) is being sarcastic when they make a racist joke, as distinct from those who are simply racist.

2) Tone is lost on the internet, so in cases where people do make a racist joke (keeping the example), it's much harder to tell whether you're being sarcastic or not. If someone I did not know used a hugely exaggerated "sarcastic voice" in real life, I would probably understand that they were being sarcastic anyway, just by that tone. That capability -- alone with any other form of ineffable expression, including body language -- is lost on the internet.

In other words, behavior which would be appropriate in a small group of close friends who know you well can be much less formal than behavior in a large group of loose friends who probably don't even know your name in real life. I'm aware, of course, that few treat it that way, but rationally I believe it's more constructive to approach it that way, because of these deficits in communication.
So you're saying expressing emotion and familiarity in posts is illogical?

Not everything warrants a response, sometimes we're just here to enlighten others, because it isn't possible for others to enlighten us.
Any chance you're working on Naughty Dog's next game?

stupei

What does it say about you Opiate that when you think of casual conversation with your buds you think of racist remarks? WHAT DOES IT SAY.

You're wrinkling my brain.

Opiate

Of course that's what I mean, since that's what you asked in the first place. I'm not saying that social games aren't pushing their own boundaries, but that they are part of an altogether different tradition, and one that is less likely to result in discussion on any GAF like forum. Big budget MMOs do though, because as well as being social games, they also head in the "memorable direct control experience" direction.

I don't think it's obvious that this is what you meant; many people here truly seem to think casual games suck and are for loser dumb dumb heads who aren't smart enough to play works of true genius like Mass Effect and Metal Gear.

I tend to agree with your assessment; I definitely agree that this stems from tradition -- it is very akin to children of the 70s still preferring 70s music, or kids of the 80s thinking Kurt Kobain killed great music, or 90s kids who think Britney Spears and Lady Gaga are total crap. People experience inertia, and they tend to like what they grew up with because that's what they are accustomed to. Even in the gaming realm itself, you can often see this with many console gamers who choose not to game on PCs because it feels strange and alien to them, and relatively simple tasks (like installing a game) seem complex when you've never done them before.

So the reason why this is interesting to discuss, in my opinion, is that these preferences are likely to change over time. As the current crop of GAF users age and a new generation either joins them or displaces them, we're likely to see a gradual migration of tastes away from the current preferences (cinematic, single player games) and towards the new generation of tastes (Facebook and casual social multiplayer along with competitive multiplayer like WoW, or CoD). That is my prognostication, in any case.

They're not.

Neither social nor mobile games are designed in a vacuum. (In fact, the lion's share of both, at least in the US, are built by people with years or decades of experience in more "traditional" areas of the gaming industry.) They don't follow all the broadest trends in the industry, but in part the very broadest trends in the industry are things GAF is frequently hostile to (with games like MW3 as convenient standins for said trends here) and one of the slightly less prominent trends is the long-tail/reconstructionist explosion which is mostly about how "broad trends" are less relevant than an industry where a thousand flowers bloom.

When you dig down on it, all the developments happening in the social and mobile space are drawing on the same library of game design that console games (or whatever) are. Zynga may be using studies of extrinsic reward for evil, but they're empowered to do so by building on the studies of behavioral reward loops that MMO designers have been obsessively studying for at least a decade; in a lot of ways, social games are a fringe of the MMO space, drawing off mechanics to implement in the most minimalist and extreme ways. Similarly, most mobile games are drawing on the gameplay lessons of the Arcade Revival movement and trying to emulate titles from the 1970s and 1980s, or trying to meld video game influences with ludic cousins like board games (look how popular Ascension, Words With Friends, Carcassone, etc. are on iPad.) None of this stuff is really coming out of left field, it's just picking up on different threads in the tapestry than what the biggest AAA games are doing (but not threads, IMO, that "traditional" indie titles aren't also exploring.)

I think the real reason these games tend to get so little traction with GAF is that they're aesthetically so removed from GAF's interests. GAF's demographics lean towards the late-20s male (the demographic that supports gaming as a whole these days) but skew a good bit upmarket since this is an enthusiast forum with at least a bit of a reputation for thoughtful dialogue. There's a big range of content that works for people in that range (from solitary meditative affairs to salty one-on-one competitive games, from juvenilia to attempts at Serious Stories For Serious People, from extremely grounded to hyperrealistic or ultra-stylized) but it all comes back to those demographic groups.

When you start moving gaming outside of that 20something-male comfort zone, people get skittish. "Cute" games get short shrift with traditional gaming audiences. Games with slice-of-life or "mundane" aesthetics get gender-coded immediately and tend to be dismissed regardless of both content and platform. (Look how little attention Harvest Moon or the Sims get on GAF relative to their performance on the market.) Stuff that's explicitly marketed to kids or old people generates a huge backlash (look at the ongoing dissatisfaction with the Wii, Kinect, etc. -- and notice how of their ilk, the one franchise to originally get a pass was Guitar Hero with its 20-something-male-friendly aesthetic.)

And, I mean, the aesthetics of a lot of social/mobile/casual games are legitimately awful. I can't blame anyone for looking at Farmville and thinking it's hideous, pandering, manipulative crap that sums up all the worst things about gaming in one place, because it kind of is. But I really, honestly think the segregation of these fields is ultimately a demographic/aesthetic one, not a distinction that's borne out by real, bright-line differences in gameplay ancestry.

Whew. Sorry. I just said bullshit the first time because I knew I'd have to write something like this to explain myself properly. :(

Opiate

So you're saying expressing emotion and familiarity in posts is illogical?

No, I'm saying it's a weakness of the medium. That is, forums are less capable of expressing tone, and less capable of allowing familiarity, than are real life interactions. Therefore, some behaviors which function well in highly personal, familiar contexts -- like bitter sarcasm, or emotional outburst -- do not work as well when you're talking to relative strangers on the internet.

That doesn't mean I think forums are patently inferior; if I thought they were, I wouldn't be here. Forums also have their strengths; namely, the ability to rapidly communicate about a particular topic with dozens if not hundreds of people in a very short time frame, and to do so immediately whenever you want. By contrast, even the biggest friend circles begin to simply be a "party" once you reach 15+ people, and concentrated discussion becomes effectively impossible at that point. People typically break up in to small circles who all engage in isolation, rather than literally having 15, 20, or 25 people all sitting around collectively discussing a single topic.

Each format of discourse has strengths and weaknesses, and I'm suggesting that the weaknesses of internet discussion preclude the use of some typically acceptable behaviors in real life. Like bitterly sarcastic jokes, or sexist jokes, or subtle concepts which require body language to imply.

stupei said:
What does it say about you Opiate that when you think of casual conversation with your buds you think of racist remarks? WHAT DOES IT SAY.

It says I was trying to think of a simple, easy of example of something that would clearly be unacceptable on GAF, but would be acceptable and inoffensive in a small group of friends who all know each other well. I can tell exactly when they're kidding both through the tone used and through their body language, but most importantly, through years of knowing them and feeling confident they are not actually a racist (or sexist, or obnoxious jerk of any kind). If you'd like to replace "racist joke" with "generically offensive joke," feel free.

stupei

I was going to actually say one of the sure ways to tell someone is being sarcastic on GAF is when they use all caps.

But then I thought of all the times I've seen people flipping out in all caps sincerely.

And then I was sad.

To your earlier point Opiate, I'd like to think that disdain directed at social or casual gaming is less an opinion of the GAF majority and more like the kind of thing said by someone who would use caps-lock in earnest. Those people can be particularly vocal, but I'd hope they're not the norm.

But then given the hugely negative reaction to Gabe's statements about exploring more social or interactive means of storytelling, even within primarily single player experiences, that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Fuck you guys, if Opiate gets self-conscious and stops being awesome I'm coming for each and every one of you. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

I know Deus and Dark are so high on the list because of GAF's "niche" tastes and they deserve to be there..but something irks me about Dark not being #3 and Deus #4. By only a few votes too! Damnit people..this is all your fault.

Don't feel bad. It won the "High Quality Award", so those of us who loved it, loved it MORE than other people loved their choices. Yay for us. I'd also predict we'll still feel the love when other games reach their backlash period.

Quality over quantity. Good enough to make me feel "right". Heh.

4CBBA.png

This is absolutely true, but it made up for it to some degree with the non-portal "goo" puzzles (even though I was mad about there being so many of them in a game called "Portal") and even more so with the greatly entertaining dialog and narration. Without the humor, it would drop several spots at least, but it's there, it's great, and it deserves credit.

Someone said it better than me, but the reason I enjoyed Portal 2 so much wasn't really the puzzles per se but the “experience” it offered me. I know that sounds pretty vague and nebulous, but it's 2 a.m. and I just got done a 13 hour plus day at the office. That comic is spot on, but I'll put it this way. For me, I'd classify Portal 1 as a puzzle game in the puzzle genre. I would describe Portal 2 as the first “comedy” I've ever played that happens to use puzzles as a game mechanic. I've been playing games ever since the 2600. For me, personally, Portal 2 was really the first game I'd call a comedy outside of stuff like Monkey Island and what the Breath of Death guys are doing.
My point is that most games in the past that have been considered “funny” aren't really funny. Sure, I've experienced a chuckle or snort on rare occasions, but never a sense that a game was truly funny. Portal 2 felt like a great Monty Python film or play to me, while every other supposedly funny video game, with rare exceptions, feel like bad Naked Gun or Hot Shots movies to me. Crude, but not smart.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
First of all, many thanks to Cheesemeister and timetokill for their sterling work on compiling the results.

As to the results: it was shocking to see Deus Ex: Human Revolution place so highly. I thoroughly enjoyed it, placing it at number 4 for my own list, but also anticipated that it would be forgotten due to the end of year rush.

Similarly, Dead Space 2 and Arkham City were a surprise - the first because it was released in January and the second because it appeared to be a slight disappointment, at least from my outside interpretation of the reception.

Personally, the two biggest winners out of the top ten were the Witcher 2 and Super Mario 3D Land. Not just because they were my top two games. Both punched well above their weight. Both are platform exclusive (with Witcher 2 having quite high system requirements), and both had release date issues - one early, one late. If the poll were to be taken in three months, I'd wager that it would place far higher.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Don't feel bad. It won the "High Quality Award", so those of us who loved it, loved it MORE than other people loved their choices. Yay for us. I'd also predict we'll still feel the love when other games reach their backlash period.

Quality over quantity. Good enough to make me feel "right". Heh.

I saw that and was pleased. I realize Dark Souls is a tough sell as a mainstream game of the year but people voicing that it's the most quality game is definitely reassuring. This year actually taught me how little gamer Joe cares about quality in games simply due to the whole Skyrim debacle. It was surprising how so many gamers simply don't care if a company takes a piss on their heads provided they get an open world game with dragons and elves. It was also surprising that a lot of those gamer Joes were on GAF. I would have expected the vocal majority of GAF to lash out against Skyrim but it was the complete opposite.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I'm a bit bummed that Alice somehow passed by this board. Highly underrated.

Among the best art direction. Solid blend of action and 3D platforming. Does some interesting stuff with hair physics (how many people have complained about the ridiculously plastic-looking hair this generation?).

The best game developed in China this year.

Alice definitely deserved to be higher. By far the most enjoyable game I played last year, despite its flaws.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, I forgot about Alice. Damn solid game.

Top Bottom