• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

Very happy to see Bloodborne take the GOTY and equally happy to see The Witcher 3 as #2. They were also my top 2 games of the year. Also more than thrilled to see Life is Strange get that much love in here and also nice to see Until Dawn make it to top 10.

Blobbers

so gaf has given GOTY to MGS4, uncharted 2, TLOU and bloodborne.

4 of the last 8 goty were playstation only. wow

Eh, all those games were potentially the best of their year. What I mean is, there's nothing controversial about those picks.

What was Journey up against?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Head to head with The Walking Dead Season 1.

YYsDA6el.png

If the year really sucked, I highly doubt that we would've recieved by far the most participation in a GAF GOTY thread yet. The top two games from last year broke the previous total points record held by The Last of Us, while the top games from 2014 had less than half of those respective totals.
Yep, you'll have your outliers with anything. 2015 was a great year.

Sony's better at locking down exclusives I guess? They basically paid for Bloodborne while Microsoft was busy doing whatever it was they did with Tomb Raider.

JerkShep

Eh, all those games were potentially the best of their year. What I mean is, there's nothing controversial about those picks.

Walking Dead, XCOM, Dishonored, Mass Effect 3 with the ending debacle. I personally voted for XCom that year but yeah, I can totally see Journey winning

1. [PS3] Journey (Adventure) = 1078 points, 14 honorable mentions
2. [360][PS3][PC][IOS] The Walking Dead (Adventure) = 1060 points, 30 honorable mentions
3. [360][PS3][PC] XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Strategy) = 689 points, 25 honorable mentions
4. [360][PS3][PC] Sleeping Dogs (Action) = 562 points, 17 honorable mentions
5. [360][PS3][PC] Dishonored (Adventure) = 518 points, 18 honorable mentions
6. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] Mass Effect 3 (RPG) = 513 points, 20 honorable mentions
7. [360][PS3][PC] Borderlands 2 (FPS) = 485 points, 10 honorable mentions
8. [3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising (Action) = 472 points, 11 honorable mentions
9. [360][PS3][PC] Far Cry 3 (FPS) = 400 points, 21 honorable mentions
10. [PC] Hotline Miami (Action) = 399 points, 21 honorable mentions
11. [360] Halo 4 (FPS) = 363 points, 6 honorable mentions
12. [PSV][3DS] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Adventure) = 326 points, 3 honorable mentions
13. [PSV] Persona 4: The Golden (RPG) = 321 points, 13 honorable mentions
14. [PC] FTL: Faster Than Light (Strategy) = 316 points, 14 honorable mentions
15. [WII] Xenoblade Chronicles (RPG) = 299 points, 14 honorable mentions
16. [360][PC] Mark of the Ninja (Platform) = 289 points, 10 honorable mentions
17. [360][PS3][PC] Max Payne 3 (Shooter) = 285 points, 9 honorable mentions
18. [360][PS3] Dragon's Dogma (RPG) = 249 points, 5 honorable mentions
19. [PSV] Gravity Rush (Action) = 248 points, 7 honorable mentions
20. [360][PS3][PC] Spec Ops: The Line (Shooter) = 243 points, 16 honorable mentions

It's going to be depressing when Dark Souls III is totally superior to Bloodborne and loses next year to Uncharted. Not that Uncharted is something bad to lose too.

Depressing? Huh? Depressing is voting anyone but Trump and trump wins. It's Video games, it's nothing to get depressed about as long as the game is good is all that matters.

Lingitiz

2. [360][PS3][PC][IOS] The Walking Dead (Adventure) = 1060 points, 30 honorable mentions
3. [360][PS3][PC] XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Strategy) = 689 points, 25 honorable mentions
12. [PSV][3DS] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Adventure) = 326 points, 3 honorable mentions
20. [360][PS3][PC] Spec Ops: The Line (Shooter) = 243 points, 16 honorable mentions
Wow that's extremely close. Journey is deserving though.

Exclusives tends to do very well in GAF voting and that's no secret.

GAF has been known to have a lopsided Sony fanbase. Don't know if that has changed over the past few years.

Is Journey really that much better than Xenoblade, Kid Icarus, Hotline Miami, and Virtue's Last Reward? I barely hear anybody mention the game now.

Wagram

Depressing? Huh? Depressing is voting anyone but Trump and trump wins. It's Video games, it's nothing to get depressed about as long as the game is good is all that matters.

Don't take words so seriously. Do you really think I would become depressed over an arbitrary online forum award? C'mon :p

5 with Journey.

Before you claim Sonygaf and become another griever on twitter:

7FoEGG8.png

I don't think other games deserved it more than them. Sure 2012 had Walking Dead, and that year they were really close, like less than 20 points, either deserved it. This year runner ups were W3 and MGSV, both great games with flaws (gameplay former, content latter). BB was the complete package and Gaf took note.

Kolx

I just realized that 2012 was actually a really good year. Dishonored, Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect 3, TWD, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Borderlands 2, Mark of the Ninja, Xenoblade Chronicles and P4G! Journey winning against all of these is really an achievement!
and one that I disagree with :p

Majmun

GAF has been known to have a lopsided Sony fanbase. Don't know if that has changed over the past few years.

Is Journey really that much better than Xenoblade, Kid Icarus, Hotline Miami, and Virtue's Last Reward? I barely hear anybody mention the game now.

The only reason why we hear anything from the other franchises is because they're established or have (recently released) sequels out.

Journey is magnificent. It even got a Grammy nomination. When will other games?

Gigglepoo

I just realized that 2012 was actually a really good year. Dishonored, Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect 3, TWD, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Borderlands 2, Mark of the Ninja, Xenoblade Chronicles and P4G! Journey winning against all of these is really an achievement!
and one that I disagree with :p

Don't forget Spelunky!

JerkShep

Xenoblade was 2011 for Europe so it suffered as a result

Lingitiz

Bloodborne is the only exclusive that dos particularly well though, yeah?

This year sure. But I don't think it's a bad thing to say that fans rally behind a game exclusive to a platform they support strongly. Last year Nintendo fans rallied behind their big 3 games although the majority GOTY winners in media pubs were DAI and Shadow of Mordor (both undeserved, BTW). In 2013 it was TLOU whose only real competition was GTAV. And then Journey vs TWD (TWD and XCOM were the media picks).

Having a game people really like on a platform they support gives people a bigger reason to vote. Nothing wrong with that as long as the games are well deserving. And for the most part they are.

Lothars

I'll contend that it is still a better shooter than another multiplayer-centric FPS like Destiny and deserves to be higher than that game's expansion pack.
Then again, this is really more of a GAF popularity contest than a critical appraisal, so I'll stow it.
Disagree entirely taken king rates way higher to me compared to halo but it's all opinion.

Man, 2012 was a great year.

Gigglepoo

That was a great year. In retrospect Spelunky or Fez deserved the nod.

Spelunky didn't come into its own until 2013 when it came out on PC (livestreaming!) and Vita (portability!). Plus, both versions had Daily Challenge. Even in its streamlined state on Xbox 360, it was still the best game from 2012. Damn you, hindsight!

Majmun

The biggest surprise to me is the positioning of Until Dawn and Halo 5.

Never expected the former to chart so high, and the latter so low.

randomkid

The 2012 Was A Great Year talk is cracking me up because I distinctly remember at the time the consensus was that 2012 was an absolutely awful year for games. Lots and lots of conversation on GAF and off on that front. You can see that borne out by the really low participation rate, just like in 2014, which was certainly not as awful but was mainly enjoyed by CRPG enthusiasts and a subset of Nintendo fans.

The "negative information" in this case is the studio's previous game.
And Halo 5 looked amazing in the lead up to its release. They added tons of new multiplayer features for both casual players and hardcore fans and went as far as providing a TV series and serial podcast to hype up the campaign (though the delivery in that aspect is questionable).

What? I remember every preview being extremely weak

2004- Metal Gear Solid 3
2005- Resident Evil 4
2006- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2007- Super Mario Galaxy
2008- Metal Gear Solid 4
2009- Uncharted 2
2010- Mass Effect 2
2011- Portal 2
2012- Journey
2013- The Last of Us
2014- Bayonetta 2
2015- Bloodborne

Eusis

The fact that it hasn't even released in Europe yet didn't help either.
But that means that it should be eligible next year as well, right?
It's admittedly another reason I kept it off the list (or at least somethign I kept in mind at some point), the Europe release will give a chance to vote for next year, and while I usually wouldn't want to go for that sort of thing... damn, did it release LATE. And it's not the kind of thing you could breeze through or play a few hours and come to a good conclusion like Rocket League or whatever.

Speaking of which, my recommendations list: I actually have played a good chunk of those such as Cold Steel (obviously), Rocket League, Pillars of Eternity, and a handful more. But the top recommendation... that kind of IS a game I'd been meaning to get for quite awhile, Splatoon. I guess with things looking up a bit I may have that opportunity soon.

Vibranium

Banned
Not surprised to see Fallout 4 in the top ten as many gaffers liked it, though I hope to see Obsidian Fallout in the top 5 next time (Fergus recently re-iterated they really want to do another).

And Until Dawn in the top ten is awesome! I love Supermassive, Can't wait to see their next game, hopefully next time it has a stable 30 fps frame-rate though. Bloodborne deserves top spot for sure.

Not surprised, AniHawk has great taste.

The only reason why we hear anything from the other franchises is because they're established or have (recently released) sequels out.

Journey is magnificent. It even got a Grammy nomination. When will other games?

Ehh, gaming is filled with plenty examples of one and done games getting tons of talk.

2004- Metal Gear Solid 3
2005- Resident Evil 4
2006- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2007- Super Mario Galaxy
2008- Metal Gear Solid 4
2009- Uncharted 2
2010- Mass Effect 2
2011- Portal 2
2012- Journey
2013- The Last of Us
2014- Bayonetta 2
2015- Bloodborne

I think a better example to show this is not true is to look at 2014's Nintendo crazy list.

Gigglepoo

The 2012 Was A Great Year talk is cracking me up because I distinctly remember at the time the consensus was that 2012 was an absolutely awful year for games. Lots and lots of conversation on GAF and off on that front. You can see that borne out by the really low participation rate, just like in 2014.

It was a down year for AAA games (which is why its the only year an indie game was the consensus game of the year). But it was a great year for indie, mobile, handheld, and generally smaller games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The biggest surprise to me is the positioning of Until Dawn and Halo 5.

Never expected the former to chart so high, and the latter so low.

I think UD is just a more memorable game. Halo is probably a better game overall but Until Dawn really was one of a kind for me. I remember every second of it and played through it with my roommate as we made decisions and passed off the controller.

Bloodborne would have ranked higher on my list (as in, top three) if not for the consumables and the small quality-of-life issues like being unable to respawn enemies without unloading the entire area or having to go back to the Hunter's Dream to level.

All of these things had been solved before and were just sort of arbitrarily changed.

You can respawn the enemies by using a (bold) hunter's mark. I'm not sure but you may have to die to an enemy in that area first so that you respawn at the local lamp.

I did this at the
lecture
building. When using a hunter's mark I would respawn very quickly, maybe 4-5 seconds. Agreed about the other things though.

Lingitiz

The 2012 Was A Great Year talk is cracking me up because I distinctly remember at the time the consensus was that 2012 was an absolutely awful year for games. Lots and lots of conversation on GAF and off on that front. You can see that borne out by the really low participation rate, just like in 2014, which was certainly not as awful but was mainly enjoyed by CRPG enthusiasts and a subset of Nintendo fans.

It had so many big disappointments in AAA games: Halo 4, Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3, Assassins Creed 3... all lackluster in some major ways.

There are a few games here and there I played slightly too late to make it into the list for the year it belonged to.

I really regret not playing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on time. I think that would have made my 2014 list for sure.

Vibranium

Banned
I also have to say, I'm ok with REmake Remastered being beaten as horror game of the year partly because it's a re-release and partly because Until Dawn is just a fantastically-crafted game. Wish REmake got more votes though!

EhoaVash

Bloodborne #1 is unsurprising. Game is amazing at times. I am surprised to see Until dawn though, very underwhelming game imo. Heavy rain did this genre so much better

Arnie7

Banned

Journey is a masterpiece. Don't know what you're taking about.

kewlmyc

NeoGAF votes the Sony exclusive as number 1? SHOCKER.

Nah, just kidding. It deserves it. Good list, glad Undertale made it in the top 10.

Bgamer90

Banned
Xbox One's greatest games lineup ever couldn't get a single game in the Top 10. And the PS4 which people kept saying had no games in 2015 got 2 in the Top 10.

Funny.

xbox one games are pretty much forgotten, not just here but also in all other GOTY threads. you don't see xbone games in any conversation at all

Forza 6 is one of the best racers this gen but it's of a niche genre so that never had a chance of top 10. I would say Tomb Raider didn't either considering the controversy it had last year.

Still a good year for the console regardless with those games, Ori, and various other multiplats. The Top 10 is a mix of "what I'm interested in and could play based on the platforms I own" and actual game quality obviously. Not sure why no Xbox One 2015 exclusive reaching GAF's top 10 is surprising.

Top Bottom