• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf Movies of the Year 2015 Voting Thread - Voting Ends 2/24/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

1.Ex Machina
2.Victoria
3.The Revenant
4.Room
5.The Hateful 8
6.Nina Forever
7.Star Wars : The Force Awakens
8.Mad Max : Fury Road
9.Wild Tales
10.Carol

Afa

1. Inside Out
2. Mad Max: Fury Road
3. Ex Machina
4. The Martian

Some honourable mentions that don't break the top tier, I consider all of these just equally enjoyable,
Jurassic World, Ant-Man, The Peanuts, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Hateful Eight and The Revenant

Out 1

I have limited myself to films that were first released (in any territory) in 2015. Some thoughts on each entry will be added later.

1. Mad Max: Fury Road - George Miller
2. Rodina (Homeland) - Pyotr Buslov

3. Right Now, Wrong Then - Hong Sang-soo
4. Francofonia - Alexander Sokurov
5. The Forbidden Room - Guy Maddin
6. Every Thing Will Be Fine - Wim Wenders
7. Bridge of Spies - Steven Spielberg

8. Carol - Todd Haynes
9. The Big Short - Adam McKay
10. 45 Years - Andrew Haigh

Mubbed

1. The Duke of Burgundy
2. Carol
3. Queen of Earth
4. Faults
5. Mad Max: Fury Road
6. '71
7. Victoria
8. Time Out of Mind
9. The Suicide Theory
10. Inside Out

Decado

I haven't seen a few key films (Macbeth, Spy, Bone Tomahawk, Legend), but I suspect my top 3 are firm.

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. The Revenant
3. Kingsmen: Secret Service
4. Beasts of No Nation
5. The Assassination
6. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
7. Hateful Eight
8. The Water Diviner
9. Run All Night

GhaleonEB

1) Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
2) Mad Max: Fury Road
3) Ex Machina
4) Inside Out
5) The Martian

I never would have thought that two sequels / reboots would top my list this year, but here we are. On balance, Mad Max is a better made film than TFA, in particular due to the lack of story problems that TFA has in its last act. But on reflecting - and after a gazillion rewatches - I just had more fun with TFA. And with Rey
pulling the lightsaber to her
, the film provided the most electrifying moment in the series to date, which is crazy considering the legacy. It also provided some of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had.

I loved Ex Machina - brilliantly shot and acted, with an ending I should have seen coming, but didn't.

Keric

2. Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens
3. Sicario
4. Room
5. Creed
6. The Revenant
7. Inside Out
8. What We Do in the Shadows
9. The Martian
10. Ex Machina

I haven't seen many of the movies I'd expect to place high on my list but I might as well make one before it's too late.

Best:
1. Mad Max: Fury Road - First movie I saw in theaters in years and it blew me (and the friends I brought to see it with) away. Amazing.
2. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - Another movie I saw in theaters which was amazing. Normally I wouldn't have two action movies in my top two but I haven't seen many 2015 dramas. Nevertheless, does not detract how great I thought this film was.
3. Mr. Holmes - The best portrayal of Holmes I've seen in TV/movies yet. I thought it was really touching.
4. Bone Tomahawk - Really entertaining movie that I felt elevated the western aesthetic rather than simply ape it like most modern Westerns. Definitely a movie I'll remember.
5. Sicario - I wasn't too impressed by Blunt but the tension and the cinematography outweighted the low points for me. I think Villenueve is one of the best directors in the game right now and I have very high hopes for Blade Runner.
6. Spy - I know, I know. But I really enjoyed the insult humor and thought it subverted the spy genre in a smart way.
7. Beasts of No Nation - Idris Elba was fantastic as were the child actors. I felt the film lost direction about half-way through but maybe that was intentional. Idris should've been nominated for an Oscar.
8. Sleeping With Other People - Surprised me with its depth. Although I felt the comedy clashed with the more dramatic elements of the movie, it's undoubtedly one of the best romcoms I've seen in years.
9. Inside Out - Makes me think Pixar still knows what it's doing. I thought it was creative but sort of dug itself into a hole with that same imagination.
10. Ex Machina - A very interesting and well-made indie film. Although it felt slow at times, I was intrigued throughout.

Honorable Mentions: Going Clear, Queen of Earth, Kingsman, Paddington, Trainwreck, Far From the Madding Crowd, Ant-Man

Overall, I've had better years but I only think it's because I haven't seen as much critically acclaimed films from this year as I would've wanted. On the other hand...

Worst:
1. Hot Pursuit
2. Spongebob Squarepants: Sponge Out of Water
3. Get Hard
4. Transporter: Refueled - Great movie to hate watch though
5. Serena
6. Fantastic Four
7. Dragon Blade - the set-up for the final fight is eerily like the terrible Anchorman 2 fight scene.
8. Cooties
9. A Deadly Adoption
10. The Loft

GamerJM

Banned
1. Star Wars: the Force Awakens
2. Inside Out
3. the Stanford Prison Experiment
4. Straight Outta Compton
5. Ant Man
6. American Ultra
7. Spectre
8. Mad Max: Fury Road
9. Chappie
10. the Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kazaam

As specified by the OP, the voting ends on the 24th of February (tomorrow). I have been updating the list of votes and will make the new results thread as soon as possible after the closing of the vote. Since I've never done this before I wanted to ask what time exactly should the voting close? Should it be midnight between the 24th and 25th? And if so, which time zone?

Divius

As the Volunteer Counter of the Votes, Ruler of the Thread and Holder of the Fate, I would say it is totally up to you.

The Chef

tumblr_nos6ecdII71qa45c1o1_500.gif

2. Starwars: The Force Awakens
3. Sicario
4. Creed

Cikay

1. Mad Max Fury Road
2. Inside Out
3. Sicario

4. Jupiter Ascending
5. Crimson Peak
6. Tomorrowland
7. The Good Dinosaur

Akahige

1. Mad Max: Fury Road - Directed by George Miller
2. What We Do in the Shadows - Directed by Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi
3. Spy - Directed by Paul Feig
4. Kingsman: The Secret Service - Directed by Matthew Vaughn
5. Beasts of No Nation - Directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga
6. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Directed by J. J. Abrams
7. Creed - Directed by Ryan Coogler
8. Steve Jobs - Danny Boyle

idk, I didn't see enough of the critically acclaimed stuff.

nin1000

Banned
1.Mad Max: Fury Road
tumblr_nnqjhsnHdF1u62kxvo1_500.gif

2.Inside Out
giphy.gif

3.Room
tumblr_nzw0l6KC3o1rdqbfro8_540.gif

4.Sicario
giphy.gif

5.Star Wars: Episode 7
more-vehicles-revealed-in-star-wars-episode-vii-official-lego-sets-570795.gif

6.Brooklyn
tumblr_nzgsupqS4S1v21fa6o1_500.gif

7.Ex- Machina
5G8ik1m.gif

8.Babadook
giphy.gif

9.Song of the Sea
tumblr_nlftc4hiRc1u5mnn7o1_500.gif

10.Mommy
tumblr_nkwj0oI3Oj1qii1qoo1_500.gif

Would put The Revenant right up there but i just saw it in januaray so that makes it an 2016 entry for me.

1. Star Wars: TFA
3. Inside Out
4. Room
5. Hateful 8
6. Revenant
7. The Big Short
8. Avengers: AoU
9. Kingsman: The Secret Service
10. Straight Outta Compton

I hope this is a 'favorite' rather than a 'best' list. Because it would look MUCH different.

cyba89

01. Inside Out
02. Mad Max: Fury Road
03. The Revenant
04. Sicario
05. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
06. The Martian
07. The Hateful 8
08. Bridge Of Spies
09. Beasts Of No Nation
10. Ex Machina

Fjordson

1. Son of Saul
2. Anomalisa
3. What We Do in the Shadows
4. 45 Years
5. Phoenix
6. Amy
7. The Assassin
8. Ex Machina
9. The Duke of Burgundy
10. Mad Max: Fury Road

1. Carol
2. Far From The Madding Crowd
3. Mistress America
4. Mustang
5. Mad Max: Fury Road
6. The Diary of a Teenage Girl
7. The Kingsman
8. Ex-Machina
9. Sicario
10. What We Do In Shadows

1. Son of Saul
2. Anomalisa
3. What We Do in the Shadows
4. 45 Years
5. Phoenix
6. Amy
7. The Assassin
8. Ex Machina
9. The Duke of Burgundy
10. Mad Max: Fury Road

Man assassin is easily the best looking film in a few years but I also found it boring as hell haha. But just by sheer virtue of cinematography it's definitely a runner up for me

Jonm1010

Banned
As specified by the OP, the voting ends on the 24th of February (tomorrow). I have been updating the list of votes and will make the new results thread as soon as possible after the closing of the vote. Since I've never done this before I wanted to ask what time exactly should the voting close? Should it be midnight between the 24th and 25th? And if so, which time zone?

Your call, but midnight(I guess time zone could be sticky) was my initial thought. Give people the entire last day to finalize, change and make last minute entries(like i will be doing lol).

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
2. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
3. Krampus
4. Spectre
5. Creed
6. Shaun the Sheep
7. Avengers: Age of Ultron
8. Ex Machina
9. Mad Max: Fury Road
10. Everest

Fjordson

Man assassin is easily the best looking film in a few years but I also found it boring as hell haha. But just by sheer virtue of cinematography it's definitely a runner up for me
Yeah it was kinda slow. I bought it on blu-ray and watched it again and...it was still pretty slow, but something about the atmosphere and the visuals really got me. Admittedly a little bit of style over substance with that pick.

Kadayi

Banned
Didn't pack in as much Cinema as I'd of liked but

1. Sicario

2.Mad Max: Fury Road

3. Ex -Machina

4. Inside out

5. The Martian

Ulldog

1. The Revenant
2. Beasts of No Nation
3. Amy
4. Sicario
5. The Hateful Eight
6. The End of the Tour
7. Mad Max

Have seen a bunch of other films that don't really deserve to be on a top ten list.
(Still a couple of movies I haven't seen yet though)

CassSept

Sadly, I did not manage to watch Carol in time as it releases next weekend in my country. A shame, really. But as the deadline is tomorrow, I'm gonna go with:

2. Ex Machina
3. Son of Saul
4. Inside Out
5. Room
6. Spotlight
7. Big Short
8. Anomalisa
9. Bridge of Spies
10. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Honorable mention: Creed - number 10 came down to Star Wars and Creed and while I thought Creed was better I just had so much fun on each of the three times I saw Star Wars in the theater I can't pass on including it on the list.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I've only seen 26 films from 2015, there's a lot of stuff I've yet to see, but there's too little time until the deadline so ...

1 - The Martian
2 - The Revenant
3 - The Danish Girl
4 - Brooklyn
5 - Carol
6 - Inside Out
7 - Mad Max: Fury Road
8 - The Age of Adaline
9 - Ant-Man
10 - Sicario

1. Mad Max: Fury Road - loved this movie so much. It's become one of my top 5 favorite films ever. Loved the acting, the world, the props, the costumes, just everything felt so over-the-top but also real. A+++

2. Ant-Man - I had totally forgotten that this came out in 2015. Feels like it was so long ago since so many big movies came out around it. I liked the small-nature of this story. It's refreshing to see a Marvel movie that isn't about a nation/worldwide big threat. I'm excited to see more movies like this and Deadpool.

3. Jurassic World - Many saw it was just a dumb sequel-bait, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the effects and plot were a little rough, but the pacing was excellent. The characters were really strong and likable, both the adults and kids. Nice to see the revitalization of this franchise, especially if it gets kids and audiences interested in more science and sci-fi movies.

Kazaam

Your call, but midnight(I guess time zone could be sticky) was my initial thought. Give people the entire last day to finalize, change and make last minute entries(like i will be doing lol).

Alright. So the voting will close at 00:00 PT on the 25th (08:00 GMT) - that means there are 33 hours left. Any lists posted or updated after that time will not be taken into account. As specified by the OP, any lists that don't fulfil the minimum of 3 movies and/or are not ranked will not be added to the final tally.

C4Lukins

I wish we could push the deadline back a couple of days. Brooklyn and The Big Short just hit On Demand today. And I own Creed and Jobs but have not had a chance to watch them. Two more days is all I need.

C4Lukins

Wait what's wrong with mad max besides being the obvious winner

I really enjoyed Mad Max, but it lacks the depth of what I would normally consider a best picture. Acting, characters, dialogue and story are all lacking. On the other hand it is a beautiful film with amazing action and is a ton of fun.

There is nothing wrong with Mad Max, it is a really good film. But it only does a couple of things amazingly well, and is really average in just about every other aspect. Good film, but I am not sure if it will even make top ten on my list.

deadline came sooner than anticipated, didn't get around to doing a last minute catch up, but Bone Tomahawk and Room were the only things I really wanted to catch and didn't

1. Carol
2. Creed
3. Mistress America
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
5. Hateful 8
6. Furious 7
7. The Gift
8. Clouds of Sils Maria
9. Sicario
10. The Man From UNCLE

There's a handful of movies I haven't seen yet, but this list is as good as it's going to get at this point:

2. Creed
3. Ex Machina
4. Spotlight
5. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
6. Sicario
7. What We Do In The Shadows
8. The Revenant
9. Inside Out
10. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Honorable Mentions: The Martian, Straight Outta Compton, Ant-Man, Kingsman

Kazaam

I wish we could push the deadline back a couple of days. Brooklyn and The Big Short just hit On Demand today. And I own Creed and Jobs but have not had a chance to watch them. Two more days is all I need.

I get it, but we should keep the deadline. Try to make a list with the films you've seen so far though.

Window

I only saw 8 2015 releases over the past year so I'll just list them all in order (except the last one as I did not like it very much).

2. Bridge of Spies
3. The Hateful Eight
4. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
5. Sicario
6. Slow West
7. The Measure of a Man

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
There are so many movies I haven't seen this year so I'm only confident to nominate a few. This is nowhere near what I expect to be my favorite movies from 2015 to be once I've seen most of them. I've mostly seen what I deem to be essential cinema experiences so far. The smaller more personal experiences I want to watch at home so I have time to reflect or to rewatch.

1. The Martian
  3. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Strax

Shocking not seeing Rams, the best non-english film of the year, on any lists

I'll post mine here on the 23rd :)

1. Inside Out
2. Spotlight
3. Rams
4. Victoria
5. Trumbo
6. Creed
7. Straight outta Compton
8. Focus
9. The Diary of a Teenage Girl
10. Spectre

My list is up now :)

Mr. Sam

Shocking not seeing Rams, the best non-english film of the year, on any lists

I live in London and it's been surprisingly difficult to track down. I think the Prince Charles is showing it, though I doubt I'll see it before the deadline.

Onyar

I watch few movies this years and most of them were bullshit for me, the ones that I save, in order:

1. Macbeth (2015)
2. Spotlight
3. The Revenant

Addi

Some films I haven't seen yet (like Carol), but here's my list:

1. Victoria
2. The Hatefull eight
3. The revenant
4. Ex machina
5. Mad max: Fury Road
6. Room
7. Creed