• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

Girl Band cancelled all upcoming performances because of Health reasons..... again.

Glad I saw them earlier this year or else I would have gone crazy.

King_Moc

Banned
That National clip was a bit eh. I hope that's not the actual style they're going for.

Girl Band cancelled all upcoming performances because of Health reasons..... again.

Glad I saw them earlier this year or else I would have gone crazy.

Sad news, but the singer just isn't very well in the head from what I gather.

daripad

Guys, Foo Fighters are coming to Mexico this year, are they a fun live band? They used to be my favorite band and I want to see them so much but they're coming to a festival so tickets are a bit expensive for me ATM

Icolin

Banned
The National's next album "Sleep Well Beast" is out on September 8th.

Don't know if this is the cover, but they tweeted this image in the tweet linked above:

C_hFPOLUwAAJycU.jpg:large

Is it too premature to make an OT about it? Mulling over doing that at the moment.

EDIT: FIRST SINGLE IS OUT

Aizo

Banned
For the past few months, I haven't been able to stop listening to Alvvays. Any info on the album they're working on yet?

--
Any recommendations if I like CHVRCHES?

faridmon

For the past few months, I haven't been able to stop listening to Alvvays. Any info on the album they're working on yet?

--
Any recommendations if I like CHVRCHES?

Alvvays have confirmed an album by the end of this year in one of their Facebook replies

I would recommend Satellite Stories. They are not exactly Like CHVRCHES but they are Synth/Alt band and they are pretty good. Their album 2 years ago and my AOTY and their new just came out yesterday

Aizo

Banned
How did I know you'd respond? :D
Stuffed in this train. I'll listen to their 2015 album right this second.

faridmon

So is his newest album more electronic? The albums I listened to today were very guitar centric. Love it, though. We have similar tastes, as I already knew for years.

Its slightly more electronic, but they do have some guitar riffs in their so maybe its not what is exactly you are looking for

for heavier, more electronic recommendation

Purity Rings
Karen Park
D.A.N
Annie [NSFW]
M84
Joywave [NSFW]
Frida Sundmo
Lust for Youth
Donkeyboy
Kate Boy
Glen Check
HEALTH
Kisses
Have a Nice Day!
Kid Astray
Metafive

Hope any of these are what you are looking for.

Linius

Oh well just a guy giving his opinion. Sometimes I agree with him but most of the time not so much. I do respect the fact that he got quite big starting as just one guy with a youtube channel for mostly obscure music.

Not that it matters but for sheer hilarity Theneedledrop gave Slowdive a 4/10.

Lol.

I've never seen a video of his but I can't stand the guy. Music is the last thing that can be reviewed but he seems to have this negative influence on some people, causing them to doubt whether music they may have enjoyed before is "good" or not.

Alpende

I've never seen a video of his but I can't stand the guy. Music is the last thing that can be reviewed but he seems to have this negative influence on some people, causing them to doubt whether music they may have enjoyed before is "good" or not.

He actually made a video about his influence on peoples enjoyment of the music he reviews. It came down to the fact that he's just a guy who gives his opinion and that's all it is, his opinion and nothing more.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

The negative influence isn't his fault though, he likes plenty of music too. In the end he's one guy, if his music tastes line up with yours, check out his reviews, if you find yourself disagreeing with him often, go look for somebody else.

Futureman

how about this PWR BTTM shit going down? Seems like the band is pretty much done for.

Label is no longer selling their new album which came out on Friday, former label is no longer selling their old albums, other bands on tour have dropped out, venues are cancelling shows...

I never listened to them before, but basically they were seen as an ally for queer people. Allegations came out that the one member sexually assaulted people and was a sexual predator. Plus some anti-Semitic stuff that I guess came out months ago.

some info here:
http://pitchfork.com/news/73473-pwr-bttm-cancel-tour-report/

faridmon

how about this PWR BTTM shit going down? Seems like the band is pretty much done for.

Label is no longer selling their new album which came out on Friday, former label is no longer selling their old albums, other bands on tour have dropped out, venues are cancelling shows...

I never listened to them before, but basically they were seen as an ally for queer people. Allegations came out that the one member sexually assaulted people and was a sexual predator. Plus some anti-Semitic stuff that I guess came out months ago.

some info here:

WTF? This seems so bizarre

They performed in a lot of gigs and festivals in the past few months? Their gigs have sold out In Birmingham TWICE and people seemed to love them. They have been covered in every outlet out there and the hype for their new album was through the roof

Man, that is shocking

Aizo

Banned
Its slightly more electronic, but they do have some guitar riffs in their so maybe its not what is exactly you are looking for

for heavier, more electronic recommendation

Purity Rings
Karen Park
D.A.N
Annie [NSFW]
M84
Joywave [NSFW]
Frida Sundmo
Lust for Youth
Donkeyboy
Kate Boy
Glen Check
HEALTH
Kisses
Have a Nice Day!
Kid Astray
Metafive

Hope any of these are what you are looking for.
I saw Have a Nice Day live last year with World's End Girlfriend. It was so fun.

some info here:

I saw them open for Ra Ra Riot last year, thats crazy.

Futureman

WTF? This seems so bizarre

They performed in a lot of gigs and festivals in the past few months? Their gigs have sold out In Birmingham TWICE and people seemed to love them. They have been covered in every outlet out there and the hype for their new album was through the roof

Man, that is shocking

There's this small, gay friendly bar/venue in Pittsburgh they were playing here in a few months. I've been to a couple shows there and it's always been low turnout. On the venue's website, the PWR BTTM show was listed as sold out. I didn't realize quite how popular they were.

faridmon

Damn, I didn't realise Hazel English's debut album came out on Friday. Been high on her since Andy Greenwald called her single "I'm Fine" the anthem of last year.

Definitely for fans of Shoegaze stuff.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3srztj2I58JcLc5NNHceeV

Its just a collection of her two EPs in one LP, but yeah, she is fun to listen to.

She is coming to my town on Sunday. Unfortunately I am seeing Follakzoid the night before and Post War Glamour Girls The night before that, so I don't think I have the energy to see her.

Top Bottom