• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Fjordson

So the last Alt J album have 8 songs and I dont like 3 of them. 5/8 is not a good ratio for an album. I will make a playlist with 5 song and call it an EP

Lot of "disappointments" this year Kendrick, Gorillaz and now Alt j.

London Grammar don't break my heart
As someone who loves Gorillaz, Demon Days and Plastic Beach, the new Gorillaz record was so incredibly disappointing. And the fact that it'll probably be years before we see another album makes it even more disappointing. I think I listened to it twice on Spotify before forgetting all about it.

Hell, that could've been the last Gorillaz record since it seems like a pretty big undertaking for Damon and Jamie to get the project going for each phase.

Hmmm Kurt Vile & Courtney Barnett are releasing a collaborative album.

I never really listened to Vile. I'll have to give a few of his albums a try.

Barnett's "Sometimes I Sit And Think..." is in my top 5 albums of the past 5 years (arbitrary distinction).

I'm guessing this will be good!
I think it could definitely be good. I don't listen to Kurt Vile a ton, but I've enjoyed his last few albums. Solid, laid back, lots of guitar. Not totally dissimilar from Courtney Barnett.

King_Moc

Banned
Hmmm Kurt Vile & Courtney Barnett are releasing a collaborative album.

I never really listened to Vile. I'll have to give a few of his albums a try.

Barnett's "Sometimes I Sit And Think..." is in my top 5 albums of the past 5 years (arbitrary distinction).

I'm guessing this will be good!

While Vile isn't hugely different, honestly I just find him kind of boring. Courtney Barnett is one of my favourite musicians around today, so I just hope this doesn't detract from her solo record, if one's even planned.

Late catching up on the new Beach Fossils album, solid if nothing spectacular. Still must get to a show next time they're touring here.

Also new Wolf Alice album coming soon! The first single "Yuk Foo" is out on Monday.

big ander

Yeah the new Chastity Belt gets better each listen, just like their last two. gonna be a favorite for the year.

I think the Beach Fossils is pretty ok. Same deal as Clash the Truth: a fantastic first few songs, then a run of mostly blah tracks with a couple decent to good ones towards the end.

Really not sure if this is the right place to post this but it seems the only used place to post it and it'll get listen too by some good music heads. So sorry if i'm breaking the rules.
My band released our first EP yesterday. For fans of Hardcore music: Madball, Dystopia, 25 ta life etc. Be great if y'all could give it a listen. Thanks!

https://short-fuse.bandcamp.com/

faridmon

Man, its so awesome to see all these bands just rallying behind Labour in their Facbook profiles.

gonna go see Joy Formidable live Monday.

last album wasn't that great, but still hyped.

I really loved it. It was a bit more generic than their other two releases, but it was really good fun. Heavy and reminded me of early Kills

big ander

Wow is this alt-j record insipid and bad. the deal was sealed for me when the raw freak-folk acoustics on the third song, the first good musical moment on the record, gave way to a maudlin cover of house of the rising sun. half of the record is composed of awful interpolations of folk standards like the auld triangle, and they have the rare talent to consistently take a song from bland to awful in the span of 4 minutes. Only part I sorta enjoyed was the Marika Hackman feature, didn't love what I heard of her first record but I might check out I'm Not Your Man now.

Was their second this bad too? Before this I'd only listened to them for like a month in 2012 until breezeblocks wore out and I realized they didn't have a single other interesting song
Really not sure if this is the right place to post this but it seems the only used place to post it and it'll get listen too by some good music heads. So sorry if i'm breaking the rules.
My band released our first EP yesterday. For fans of Hardcore music: Madball, Dystopia, 25 ta life etc. Be great if y'all could give it a listen. Thanks!

https://short-fuse.bandcamp.com/
Decent stuff, definitely sounds like NYHC which isn't totally my thing but if that's what y'all are shooting for you hit the target

Futureman

so this guy wrote an essay saying Car Seat Headrest is bland... I don't even care to read it because I don't know who the author is. CSH is pretty good, I like a lot of their songs. Maybe I do agree with bland a bit sometimes...

anyways I checked out this guy's band Teen Suicide. I really like some of the songs on Spotify.

OH AND Kevin Morby released a new song "City Music." Damn this album is gonna be great.

big ander

so this guy wrote an essay saying Car Seat Headrest is bland... I don't even care to read it because I don't know who the author is. CSH is pretty good, I like a lot of their songs. Maybe I do agree with bland a bit sometimes...

anyways I checked out this guy's band Teen Suicide. I really like some of the songs on Spotify.

OH AND Kevin Morby released a new song "City Music." Damn this album is gonna be great.
Oh yeah I was gonna mention that feud. I don't really feel either way about csh, heard a few good songs from them but nothing that's inspired me to listen to more. Sam ray's essay was petty as hell but still funny lol. And with where we're at in music now I'm totally on the side of any shit-stirrers. Feels like every jerk with a bandcamp is afraid to say they don't like something for misguided reasons of respectability. It's boring as hell. I don't even like kozelek much and idk War on Drugs, but I love the trolling. Gimme more of that, more of chastity belt talking about how best coast fucking sucks, more essay-length roasts of whoever's on top of the indie pyramid scheme this month touring from crummy festival to crummy festival.

I used to love everything Sam ray made, he's still pretty good but his Ricky eat acid project went in a direction I'm just not all that into. Teen Suicide are pretty good, last record is crazy long but has some incredible tracks (Alex, It's Just a Pop Song, Pavement). The best TA releases are waste yrself/DC snuff film and goblin problems (especially tracks: haunt me x3, salvia Plath, I wanna be a witch).
Even better than TS is the band he had concurrently with a lot of the same people, Julia Brown, stupendous lo-fi pop in the vein of American Analog set or rocketship or early Alex g. One of the most overlooked albums of the 2010s

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
So DFA1979 has been teasing short 20-30 second clips on facebook, with an album presumably dropping tomorrow.

From what I've heard, it sounds more experimental, certainly more than their last record.

chris121580

I'm on the other side of the fence with the Phoenix album. I didn't think I'd like it based on the singles but they work as a whole with the album. I really like the entire thing and it's going to be a great album for the summer.

Meier

Oh my god the new London Grammar is so good.

New Phoenix is suuuuuper duper average at least upon the first listen. It was over before it felt like it had started. Nothing stood out at all. Maybe it's a grower, but I have no interest in listening again.

Alpende

I've been listening to the new Dan Auerbach album and I'm really enjoying it. Nice little summer record with good songs.

Linius

A bit too happy for my taste, especially Shine On Me. God damn that song got stuck in my head after hearing it just once.

I feel Auerbach stopped trying after 2011-ish and has since been stuck on autopilot.

New Phoenix is also a pile of nothing, but the Urban Outfitter crowd will eat it up anyways.

Mcdohl

Oh my god the new London Grammar is so good.

New Phoenix is suuuuuper duper average at least upon the first listen. It was over before it felt like it had started. Nothing stood out at all. Maybe it's a grower, but I have no interest in listening again.

Meh, the only good albums by Phoenix are United are Alphabetical anyway

You guys crazy. I loved it.

Specially Telefono, which reminded me of The Strokes sometimes.

I do like the new post Wolfgang Phoenix a lot though, so I might be biased.

thabiz

And that's exactly why it's a boring as fuck record with no original ideas. It sounds like a 2017 strokes cover band with all the modern dance pop trappings. It's a absolute wash of a record. Travesty.

Meier

Cannot stop listening to the new London Grammar album. Strong contender for AOTY currently.

Looks like it has already surpassed Sampha for my 2nd most listens of the year (first is DAMN. of course) for new albums.

psyfi

Banned
Anyone here listen to King Woman? I just found out they had a new album release in February and I'm so jazzed. Their last EP Doubt was fucking amazing. I wish they had a twitter so I could keep up with their tour dates, I really want to see them live.

Futureman

Oh yeah I was gonna mention that feud. I don't really feel either way about csh, heard a few good songs from them but nothing that's inspired me to listen to more. Sam ray's essay was petty as hell but still funny lol. And with where we're at in music now I'm totally on the side of any shit-stirrers. Feels like every jerk with a bandcamp is afraid to say they don't like something for misguided reasons of respectability. It's boring as hell. I don't even like kozelek much and idk War on Drugs, but I love the trolling. Gimme more of that, more of chastity belt talking about how best coast fucking sucks, more essay-length roasts of whoever's on top of the indie pyramid scheme this month touring from crummy festival to crummy festival.

I used to love everything Sam ray made, he's still pretty good but his Ricky eat acid project went in a direction I'm just not all that into. Teen Suicide are pretty good, last record is crazy long but has some incredible tracks (Alex, It's Just a Pop Song, Pavement). The best TA releases are waste yrself/DC snuff film and goblin problems (especially tracks: haunt me x3, salvia Plath, I wanna be a witch).
Even better than TS is the band he had concurrently with a lot of the same people, Julia Brown, stupendous lo-fi pop in the vein of American Analog set or rocketship or early Alex g. One of the most overlooked albums of the 2010s

I'm checking out Julia Brown now. Thanks for the run down.

Fjordson

Yeah Sam Ray has a pretty impressive discography across all his projects imo. I still enjoy Ricky Eat Acid and I loved that Teen Suicide album from last year.

The best part of the new Twin Peaks is the bands at the end. I've already found two bands I really like. The most recent one featured Sharon Van Etten playing, who I had no idea about. Has a kind of Mazzy Star vibe, she's got a beautiful voice. Great stuff. Check out their "latest" (2014) album Are We There.

Futureman

The best part of the new Twin Peaks is the bands at the end. I've already found two bands I really like. The most recent one featured Sharon Van Etten playing, who I had no idea about. Has a kind of Mazzy Star vibe, she's got a beautiful voice. Great stuff. Check out their "latest" (2014) album Are We There.

She's awesome and was also in the Netflix show the OA.

She's the only artist I'm really familiar with who has played a song on the new TP and it was kinda weird as it was something I knew about from the "real world" so it kinda took me out of the surreal TP world.

Who was the artist that was playing in the episode where the weird dude was asked to stop smoking cigarettes?

big ander

yea Van Etten's great. and now she has a history of killing it on TV shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uty1QGRAQes

That jazz rock band Trouble was my favorite so far. Alex Zhang Hungtai is the best

EDIT:

She's the only artist I'm really familiar with who has played a song on the new TP and it was kinda weird as it was something I knew about from the "real world" so it kinda took me out of the surreal TP world.

Who was the artist that was playing in the episode where the weird dude was asked to stop smoking cigarettes?
hah beat me to the OA.

The band I mentioned Trouble is who you're talking about—it's a one-off band just for hte show of Dean Hurley (the drummer and Lynch's music supervisor) and Riley Lynch (guitarist, Lynch's son) and Alex Zhang Hungtai (the saxophonist). AZH is the only one of those who's produced a ton of other music, he made music as Dirty Beaches for years. the album Badlands is probably the closest to Trouble and the best entry point but his best album is the double LP Drifters/Love is the Devil; Drifters is similar to Badlands while Love is the Devil is really evocative ambient. All his work is very indebted to David Lynch/Angelo Badalamenti

Yeah I liked that one too. I also really liked the Cactus Blossoms, those guys that sounded like an old-time country duo. I'd love to get a soundtrack or video compilation of all of these performances, if the quality keeps up like this.

I think it was a good idea to frame the episodes between the opening theme and the closing song, as if you're going through the curtains to the surreal world, and then back out of them.

Top Bottom