• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

King_Moc

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTXxGdfX7JM&list=TL_76lWl-PrSQwNzEyMjAxNQ

Car Seat Headrest came by the KEXP studios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_lwKUpAFJ8

And here's another set from them. Shot in a coffee bar during Le Guess Who? festival. I've never felt more hipster in my life, watching bands in a coffee bar zipping espressos.

Ha, I don't know if that sounds fantastic or horrible. I once watched British Sea Power while laying on a futon. Like a Roman Emperor.

Davey Cakes

Y'know, I'd never heard of an "unsearchable" band before. But that changed recently.

There's actually a band called "The The," headed by Matt Johnson, and they're a worthy listen. More quality 80's stuff for sure, with a solid album in 1992 as well.

This album, Mind Bomb (1989), is easily my favorite. Some really hard-hitting songs covering politics, religion, and romance:

R-416545-1219624108.jpeg.jpg

That said, there are at least three other albums by The The that I've also enjoyed:

Soul Mining - 1983
The_The_-_Soul_Mining_CD_album_cover.jpg

Infected - 1986
The_The_-_Infected_CD_album_cover.jpg

Dusk - 1992
MI0002436899.jpg

I got into them purely from a single recommendation of Dusk. Nice pickup, definitely. I find that the UK is a gift that keeps on giving; I discover a lot of good stuff from there.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Y'know, I'd never heard of an "unsearchable" band before. But that changed recently.

There's actually a band called "The The," headed by Matt Johnson, and they're a worthy listen. More quality 80's stuff for sure, with a solid album in 1992 as well.

Great band (didn't Johnny Marr join for a while?), and one that often seems to get overlooked in discussion/lists of their era. "This Is the Day" was inescapable for a while -- not a bad thing! One of my coworkers most recently used it for the first dance at her wedding :)

I've hardly listened to anything from this year because my attention's been focused so heavily on stuff from the '60s through '80s; all sorts of compilations and reissues make it incredibly easy to dive in... and get overwhelmed, hah. I feel like a kid in a candy store sometimes.

Davey Cakes

Great band (didn't Johnny Marr join for a while?)
Yeah, Johnny Marr did some great work on Mind Bomb in particular.

I listen to music of all eras. There's some great recent stuff but the late 70s into the early 90s keep coming back for me. There really is a lot out there.

big ander

this Housewives record prefaces posted a while back is dope, good looks. sections of it aren't much more than cool textures but Docile Body, TSS and Autarky are excellent noise/post-punk songs.

Linius

Yeah, great live band. Due to their extensive touring schedule I've seen them about five or six times now over the span of hardly two years. Not a single festival around here they didn't visit by now.

overcast

This new Archy Marshall (King Krule) is really nice. His emotive vocals, gutter lyrics, and downtempo production is perfect for cold weather.

Less guitar than the last for sure.

Fjordson

This new Archy Marshall (King Krule) is really nice. His emotive vocals, gutter lyrics, and downtempo production is perfect for cold weather.

Less guitar than the last for sure.
Yeah, it's more basically straight up beats on some of the tracks but I like it a lot.

Steamlord

How have I gone this long without knowing about Grooms? I just went through their discography yesterday and they're fantastic. Comb the Feelings Through Your Hair will probably be in my top 10 or 20 albums this year.

Linius

The live calander for 2016 is taking form nicely now. Car Seat Headrest, Protomartyr, Ought, Father John Misty, The Cure, together PANGEA, Night Beats, Deafheaven and Neil Young already. And festivals of course.

A tour from Radiohead or Gorillaz would really top things of for next year.

chris121580

The new album by Cage the Elephant is right on par with Melophobia as far as how good it is. These guys aren't just one of the most underrated bands around...they're also one of the most consistent. They haven't released a bad record in my opinion

chris121580

Baroness may have dropped one of the best albums of the year today. It's a shame it came out so late in the year. Album is fantastic and by far their best yet

Fjordson

what are the best albums this year for fans of Ty Segall, Thee Oh Sees, garage rock, etc?
It's more upbeat than those two, but I really like the White Reaper album that came out in July https://whitereaper.bandcamp.com/

Also Segall's Ty Rex release from last month is really good, though you've maybe already heard that.

Some of the tracks have been around for years, but I think it's the first time he's collected all his T. Rex covers onto a single release.

Futureman

I like White Reaper so far!

I'm actually not huge into Ty, like I really only a handful of songs from Spotify. I need to figure out what his essential albums are. I should listen to Ty Rex...

also, just remembered a release this year that fits the bill... Royal Headache's "High."

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Baroness may have dropped one of the best albums of the year today. It's a shame it came out so late in the year. Album is fantastic and by far their best yet

Gave this a try today since I liked the 1st/2nd/3rd EPs back in the day, but wooof, dudes have gone in a direction I really hate. Even knowing the history leading to this album didn't help much with the enjoyment. Mastodon went through a similar shift, but they're way more corny and ridiculous than this stuff.

Linius

I've started liking Baroness since their previous album. And they've continued on that path with this album so I'm pretty happy with that.

HiResDes

While I appreciate some of the riffs and backing music on Purple I can't stand this singing whatsoever and I don't remember the lead ever sounding quite like he does on purple. It sounds kind of like late 90s emo metal influences.

big ander

I sure hope it comes out next year, they've been recording it since early 2014 iirc. as lukewarm as I was on Coexist and as much as the s/t has more of a record tied to a time & place than something I enjoy regularly today, I think they're capable of doing something special.

already a good lookin year though. Bowie, anco, Savages, coma cinema. probably a lot more I can't think of right now

Steamlord

I wonder if The Olivia Tremor Control will ever release The Same Place. They were supposed to release it in 2014, and then this year... sigh. Oneida has also been teasing a new album for a long time with nothing to show for it. At least Tortoise have more or less confirmed their new album will be out next spring.

Top Bottom