• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

Carly Rae Jepsen

02Do2Ff.png

Linius

Her music works for me at a dancing party. Hell, even that Bieber song got a decent beat to it for it to be played at house parties.

Oh and I love the video for I Really Like You. Hanks can't do no wrong.

But when I'm at home and I wanna listen to some poppy music I'd rather put on CHRCHES or Purity Ring.

Reckoner

I see Melody's Echo Chamber in there. Is she releasing new stuff?

Also glad to see The Last Shadow Puppets in there. Only thing I still enjoy from Turner and Co. Hoping for the best.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Actually lol'd seeing Pete Yorn's name on that Coachella sheet.

My limited interests are always in the tiny print at the end of a list, hah. Monday: Sheer Mag, Tuesday: the Black Madonna, Wednesday: Soul Clap

faridmon

I see Melody's Echo Chamber in there. Is she releasing new stuff?

She was supposed to release an album last year, but something went wrong. Don't quote me on this, but she, maybe, had a fight with her distributor of her album or something. I remember reading somewhere that she finished recording or something.

LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Animal Collective. Given that this is the year Arcade Fire's cycle comes around 2016 should be renamed "The 2000's strike back".

Fjordson

Holy shit, megaton. Great news!

Great post too. lol @ "thank fuck we were never skinny and young. or at least i wasn’t. that always happens with bands… they aren’t fat when they come back, typically, just, i don’t know, thicker. i was lucky to start this band kind of fat and old, so there’s no, like “look how YOUNG they were!” shit to even find on the internet. i mean, we were younger and everything, but we weren’t young, if you know what i mean."

Reckoner

LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Animal Collective. Given that this is the year Arcade Fire's cycle comes around 2016 should be renamed "The 2000's strike back".

I'm also expecting something from Phoenix.

They just changed their Fb profile pic and everything. Should mean something, right?

faridmon

Hope it's not serious. Not good when a whole tour is axed.

Nothing related to health issues, but Tove Styrke cancelled 2 tours for no apparent reasons which is really annoying. Even the fans are saying they aren't gonna buy the ticket for the new tour she just announced.

thabiz

Nothing related to health issues, but Tove Styrke cancelled 2 tours for no apparent reasons which is really annoying. Even the fans are saying they aren't gonna buy the ticket for the new tour she just announced.

I'd hope that killing joke has a little bit more professionalism at this point in their career than some kid. I can't see them cancelling just because.

Sounds like she's on the right path for a short career tho. Good job.

Reckoner

I literally listened to that, then bought a ticket to see them. I thought the two new ones before were OK, but was a bit burnt out on them after seeing them 3 times in a few weeks in 2013, but that song is fantastic.

They are pretty good live. Only saw them one time at Primavera Sound, and even though they seemed like they were acting all tough on stage, they couldn't help but crack a genuine smile some times in response to how warm the crowd was being to them.

King_Moc

Banned
They are pretty good live. Only saw them one time at Primavera Sound, and even though they seemed like they were acting all tough on stage, they couldn't help but crack a genuine smile some times in response to how warm the crowd was being to them.

Was it the one where the guitar amp broke and they kept playing the intro of the song for 10 minutes until it was fixed? If so, i was there also :)

snacknuts

we all knew her
I forgot that Neko Case's boxed set came out at the end of Nov. I have been listening to that pretty much all week and falling in love with several songs I had never heard before. This one is, appropriately, my favorite at the moment.

Pacbois

Hinds has to be the worst band i've seen live last year... I mean if you want a spanish teenage band, just listen to Mourn.

faridmon

Mourn were damn good at Best Kept Secret, yeah, but haven't seen Hinds Live yet. I keep missing them every single time, went to 2 other festivals that they were part of and haven't seen them.

Got the ticket for their Feberuary tour, they can't be worse than Speedy Oritz who are just really awful live and I have seen them 4 times already :/

Mifune

Mehmber
I haven't got much booked so far for this year. Glastonbury, Manic Street Preachers twice in May, Stone Roses in June and the Sunday of Field Day in London is all so far. I normally go to Primavera, which probably isn't going to happen this year, so will probably do Green Man Festival or something similar.

I'm hoping for a Radiohead tour too.

I saw Manics on their US Holy Bible tour last year and it was revelatory. Went on a six month binge after that show - bought actual physical import CDs and everything.

King_Moc

Banned
I saw Manics on their US Holy Bible tour last year and it was revelatory. Went on a six month binge after that show - bought actual physical import CDs and everything.

I got to see them do that in the UK. It was amazing. I never thought I'd see the day. It was always my favourite album of theirs, and every time i'd see them live i'd want them to play as many songs from it as possible, but typically there'd be only 1 or 2, for understandable reasons, I guess.

I once spent a disturbing amount importing reissues of their first 8 albums from Japan, just because they'd had a unique remaster done on them...

It's awesome, I was gonna get the vinyl record but I'm trying to get all my favourite albums from last year before I embark on getting it so I got 'To Pimp a Butterfly' instead. So far I've 8/10 of my favourite albums. The last two will be trickier to track down as unless I wanna pay $35 for shipping I can't get Julien Baker's 'Sprained Ankle yet and I haven't seen Harmlessness by TWIABP&IANLATD over here yet in stores yet so I'll probably buy it on Amazon.

faridmon

I haven't seen anyone talking about them, but Sunflower Bean is getting a lot of coverage in the last few months and they are simply sounding the perfect summer band. Happy, swishy, surfy and poppy.

Their new track - easier said - is amazing ad their first album is coming out next month through Fat Possum.

https://soundcloud.com/fatpossum/easier-said

They are starting their European tour in Birmingham (they delayed the Bristol one to later date) and I can't wait to see them live.

I haven't seen anyone talking about them, but Sunflower Bean is getting a lot of coverage in the last few months and they are simply sounding the perfect summer band. Happy, swishy, surfy and poppy.

Their new track - easier said - is amazing ad their first album is coming out next month through Fat Possum.

https://soundcloud.com/fatpossum/easier-said

They are starting their European tour in Birmingham (they delayed the Bristol one to later date) and I can't wait to see them live.

I heard a few of their tunes last week, they're pretty cool.

Starstrucked yesterday in Paris. I walked out of a cinema and saw Johnny Marr with his Partner.

faridmon

Holy Shit at David Bowie passing away. Didn't he just released a record? So unreal!

I heard a few of their tunes last week, they're pretty cool.

Starstrucked yesterday in Paris. I walked out of a cinema and saw Johnny Marr with his Partner.

Met Johnny Marr while browsing for some vinyls at Rough Trade 4 years ago. Had to buy the album there and asked him to sign. Cool dude, but felt irritated by a stranger who disrupted his down time.

He was alone!

faridmon

Yeah I mentioned how much I like his new record the other day. Was rather shocked to read this news.

Yeah, I was thinking about your post when I tried to remember if there was a an album by him recently.

Bloody hell, that is so ominous, do you actually think that the music represented how bad his health deteriorating?

Slowdive

Banned
Yeah, I was thinking about your post when I tried to remember if there was a an album by him recently.

Bloody hell, that is so ominous, do you actually think that the music represented how bad his health deteriorating?

He knew he was dying, from his producer:

CYbYy4RWMAAig6V.png:large

You wouldn't have thought it though, his vocals are some of his best in a while and it's his best album since Outside for me. The lyrics make so much sense now, and the video for Lazarus especially: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8

King_Moc

Banned
I'm disappointed. Sounds very soulless and generic.

Hopefully there will be other tracks like Standing Next To Me or My Mistakes Were Made For You, with a more lovely and wondrous sound. That's what I like about them.

I thought it was alright when I listened to it the other night, though there were plenty of better songs on the debut for sure. I'll give it another spin when I can bear to drag myself away from Bowie.

Top Bottom