• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix gets Paul Greengrass film on Norway terror attack.

Deadline has the scoop:
Paul Greengrass will next direct a movie he has written about the Norwegian terrorist who in 2011 murdered 77 people in the country’s deadliest attack since WWII. Netflix has won the right to make the film in heavy competition. Scott Rudin will produce with Greg Goodman and Eli Bush.

I’m told the film will be shot in Norway at a $20 million budget with local actors. Prep will begin this week for a fall shoot. It sounds similar to Greengrass’ 2002 film Bloody Sunday, about the Irish civil rights protest march and subsequent massacre by British troops on January 30, 1972, or United 93, the Best Picture-nominated 2007 film that Greengrass directed about the heroism of passengers who lost their lives wresting control of a plane and crashing it in Pennsylvania before terrorists could slam it into the White House or the Capitol Building on September 11, 2001. I wrote about the passionate pitch that Greengrass made on that film, and this sounds like the same kind of passion project with difficult and troubling subject matter.

Think the Academy might have to rethink their stance on Netflix-produced films ever since Beasts Of No Nation if they're netting big name directors like Greengrass. Especially considering United 93 was nominated for Oscars. I'm sure his next film will be similarly intense.

Robiin

Nope. Too close to home.

I really wish the world would just ignore and forget Anders B Breivik, he is probably the biggest attention whore criminal in recent memory.

Viewt

I think it's good that they're using local actors. I'm sure this is a story that's very emotional and heartbreaking for Norwegians, so the best way to do this would be to let them portray as much of it themselves as possible.

My worry with this is that Anders Breivik seems like a guy who wants the attention, and he would be proud to have a major motion picture made about his infamous mass murder.

HolySheep

Neo Member
I think it's good that they're using local actors. I'm sure this is a story that's very emotional and heartbreaking for Norwegians, so the best way to do this would be to let them portray as much of it themselves as possible.

I think many Norwegians will think this is too soon.

Devil

Not sure if we really need a movie to portray that again. Make a documentary maybe. Much to soon for my feelings. Breivik is still in the medua sometimes and tries to whore for attention. Don't give him that.

tomtom94

Yea I'm kind of in the same boat here, fuck giving this guy any attention.
An interesting way of doing it could be to do it like in Dunkirk where Breivik is never identified or shown onscreen or referred to in generic terms like "the attacker", and the focus is on the victims. I don't know if that's how they'd play it, just how I personally would look to handle it.

Honestly if you're going to do something like this Greengrass has the CV for it. I do share the unease though.

I think many Norwegians will think this is too soon.

I think we (Norwegians) are shit at film and our actors are shit. If you want to dramatize our tragedy give me some fucking British theater elites!

Most of us know how to move on with our lives. And i know i post this in every terrorism thread but the same applies when it's extremely close to home - my emotions are not at the eternal thrall of any terrorist.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why?

I rather watch a documentary about it.
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't really like movies about real events like this.
My worry with this is that Anders Breivik seems like a guy who wants the attention, and he would be proud to have a major motion picture made about his infamous mass murder.
Yea I'm kind of in the same boat here, fuck giving this guy any attention.
Yup.

I'm not sure what the value in dramatizing this would be, except for sociopaths who might enjoy watching the mayhem.

An interesting way of doing it could be to do it like in Dunkirk where Breivik is never identified or shown onscreen or referred to in generic terms like "the attacker", and the focus is on the victims. I don't know if that's how they'd play it, just how I personally would look to handle it.
Hmm... maybe...

RangerX

Banned
Greengrass has form with these kinds of films. I'm sure he'll handle the material respectfully. Looking forward to it.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
No thank you. This narcissistic tool doesn't need more attention than he's already getting. If he breaks a nail this crybaby gets press time.

I hope they don't show him on screen, or that no actors will accept the part. One Norwegian actor has already declined to play him, saying he refuses to give brevik more attention.

I wonder if they're going to cover his post capture interrogation. It would probably make a lot people furious, as even though the country was in an uproar they were faced with a potential "ticking bomb" situation (Breivik made claims of being part of a terror network that was planning follow-up attacks) they stuck to their modernized interrogation protocols based around making the subject feel comfortable and in control and encouraging them talk as much as possible. The pictures looked like he was being interviewed on a low budget cable-access morning show, instead of being grilled about the greatest atrocity in modern Norway's history.

MKIL65

It's important to portray how dangerous white nationalism can be, even though it might be painful to watch.

It should be prioritized, even if you give him attention.

Some people might grow fond of his ideals, but there's no doubt more people will be opposed to them.

Twookie

yeah no this hits way too close to home

I'm not sure I oppose this video being made, depending on how it ends up being in the end, but yeah I'll probably not watch it

Let's not feed his ego please.

Also this, he's one hell of an attention whore

I don't think you can have a movie that shows someone murdering that many innocent people.

I've heard this is the plot of the Uwe Boll film, Rampage. Supposedly the best film he has made.

I don't know if I want to watch it, given that it seems to be about a man in a heavy suit of body armor who just go on a killing spree.

Top Bottom