• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix nears 100 million subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/17/technology/netflix-subscribers/index.html
Netflix is closing in on a major milestone.

Netflix (NFLX, Tech30) added 5 million members globally in the first quarter of 2017, bringing its total subscriber base to just shy of 99 million users. That comes on the heels of Netflix's biggest quarter for new subscribers ever.

"We expect to cross the 100 million member mark this weekend Netflix wrote in its letter to shareholders Monday. "It's a good start.

And the company is planning a significant marketing push to keep growing. Netflix said it will spend more than $1 billion this year to "drive member acquisition."

Its continued subscriber growth follows a decision to launch in nearly every country in the world and invest heavily in original content to lure customers.
The company previously said it expects to invest more than $6 billion on content this year, up from $5 billion in 2016.

Netflix stock was down about 1% in after hours trading Monday as the subscriber additions were slightly below Wall Street estimates.

Why cant Netflix use all that money to pick up *insert cancelled TV show here*?

Trago

i really wish they'd invest in a back catalogue instead of just their own stuff which is hit and miss for me

I actually prefer it that way. Much of their original stuff is hit or miss with me too, but I'd rather be pleasantly surprised by one of their new original shows/movies than have a ton to chose from in their catalog. There's Hulu for that :p

The Crown for example, was a-goddamn-mazing and I didn't expect to ever be pulled in by a show about the Queen Elizabeth II. More original stuff!

sfedai0

Banned
i really wish they'd invest in a back catalogue instead of just their own stuff which is hit and miss for me

That would be a losing proposition. Literally only reason they are at the top of the game is because they had the foresight to create and back their own content. Thats actual investing. For the folks that say they dont like any of the Netflix Originials is kinda baffling. They cover almost all genres. Hard to not find something you would be interestd in.

Sinfamy

Half of which just now remembered they have an active membership and should probably cancel.
Also anyone reading this is now manually breathing.

You're about eight years LTTP there. The draw for people is a mix of both.

I disagree. The draw for people to subscribe is a steady stream of exclusive content.

From personal experience, when I first subscribed I had watched all I cared to watch in a few months. that was years before the exclusive content came. And then they finally started getting shows and I had a reason to subscribe again. Granted, By the time Daredevil came out, they didn't have a good stream of original content yet so I finished that and unsubscribed again. It wasn't until like last year that they finally had a good stream of original content that I actually found a valid reason to continue a subscription.

I suppose if you don't see many movies in the theaters (which I do) than perhaps its a good draw for both... but if you are an avid moviephile, the only draw is original content, and maybe the occasional diamond in the rough indie film that no one ever heard of.

El Topo

Given their global expansion this seems unlikely. They generally want (new/exclusive) content that is (more or less) globally available.

Spinluck

Netflix's draw is definitely the exclusive content.

Everything else is an awesome bonus to go with the overall service.

Of course, this varies from customer to customer.

When 20+ other services offer a way to watch all these older films it becomes less appealing to Netflix to spend money on the content deals. Things like the Disney deal are an exception.

MRORANGE

Just amazing....

To put this into perspective, Netflix could match the film budget of the whole Hobbit trilogy films every single month and still have quite a lot of lump change.

dakun

i wonder how much of that approximately 1 billion dollars a month they actually get and how much goes to licensing.

Now i understand why they are able to secure comedians like Chappelle for 60 million without blinking twice.

Bluth54

I imagine the problem is that a lot of TV providers probably just keep asking for more and more money and Netflix would rather just make buy the rights to original shows that they have rights to in perpetuity.

Madness

You're about eight years LTTP there. The draw for people is a mix of both.

Not really. It is probanly 80-20. I would rather they grow, keep and catalogue 80% of things and invest in maybe 20% of original content. Seems to be the other way. To the point where I feel like cancelling Netflix after years of having it. I watch maybe 1 or 2 of their new things, while the rest are garbage.

RaidenZR

They tried this originally. Movie and TV rights owners want more money the more successful a platform and the larger the audience. They rub their palms together whenever the contract terms are up. It's business. By making more original content year-in and year-out, Netflix ensures it slowly builds a base of stuff it keeps the rights to and (hopefully) people will consume as they jump in. They can't afford to rely on any one movie studio or TV network for content.

NastyBook

I'm gonna tweet them to stop putting money into garbage like Pacific Heat and bring back cancelled animated shows like Moonbeam City. That show deserves a second chance.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I want Netflix to fund an At The Movies style film review show

but its probably hard to find movie reviewers nowadays that arent blithering shills

JC Lately

Plenty of money throw at an MST3K Season 12 then. Get on it, Netflix.

The only one of their original series to really wow me was House of cards, which has lost some of the appeal now that we're basically fucking living it.

AlexBasch

Yeah, every update I'm fearing they delete more horror movies. It seems almost everything in there is Straight-To-DVD shitty ass stuff with CGI blood. FFS.

im loving iron fist do i get banned for that

Joeytj

Banned
Everyone I know uses their account together with 3-5 other friends/siblings or so. The actual exposure/reach is much bigger than that number.

Yeah, the number of people actually watching their content is close to triple or quadruple their number of subscribers.

Can you break it down for us uninformed posters?
Here you go.

The price-earnings ratio (P/E Ratio) is the ratio for valuing a company that measures its current share price relative to its per-share earnings.

For example, suppose that a company is currently trading at $43 a share and its earnings over the last 12 months were $1.95 per share. The P/E ratio for the stock could then be calculated as 43/1.95, or 22.05.

In general, a high P/E suggests that investors are expecting higher earnings growth in the future compared to companies with a lower P/E. A low P/E can indicate either that a company may currently be undervalued or that the company is doing exceptionally well relative to its past trends.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I just checked and their P/E ratio is 342.

Yes, but they are the future of TV.

They could stop expanding content creation, raise prices 5 bucks and make tons of prof it and that pe would quickly hit 10.

kevin1025

Banned
As long as they keep buying up film festival movies and making smaller shows like Love and the MST3K return, I'm happy with what they're doing.

Plus they have the CW day-after deal here in Canada, which is super nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom