• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix nears 100 million subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know who to thank:

mst3k-uproxx.jpg

Tobor

i really wish they'd invest in a back catalogue instead of just their own stuff which is hit and miss for me

So you want them to backtrack on their greatest strength right now? Lol. Good luck with that.

Now excuse me while I watch more Mystey Science Theater 3000, a Netflix exclusive.

If they don't start hanging onto TV deals fast, they're gonna lose me. I don't care about 95% of Netflix originals, if that's all they're gonna have in the future I'm out. They absolutely have to have some popular TV series and movies.

If they don't start hanging onto TV deals fast, they're gonna lose me. I don't care about 95% of Netflix originals, if that's all they're gonna have in the future I'm out. They absolutely have to have some popular TV series and movies.

Like House of Cards, Orange Is The New Black and Stranger Things?

120v

never really meted out which has more exactly but seems to me amazon prime is a bit better with "regular" shows. if you don't mind waiting about 6 months after a season ends

lawnchair

Banned

yep. i've recently been considering switching to hulu .. i really don't care about the majority of the netflix originals. stuff like stranger things and MST3K is making me hold on for the moment.

Shame the catalogue is a bit weak (for me at least). They have some great shows like Power but when I type in a film to watch they don't have it or other shows I've heard about are from broadcasters who don't share with Netflix so I quickly exhaust the content..

I said earlier, but there is not a great value in Netflix paying money to maintain deals to keep catalogs. Content owners are fully aware of how in demand their stuff is so they're going to try and maximize profit.

Not to mention when you can watch a movie or TV show in 20+ different places you need to do more to differentiate yourself. There is no value, to Netflix, in having something like The Dark Knight on their service. Creating a myriad of options of "original" content is what can convince people to stay signed up.

Madness

I am more inclined to keep paying Netflix monthly if for some reason I feel like watching Coming to America on a whim, followed by Halloween 4: the return of michael myers, and then top it off with an episode of The Office if they actually have that on their service. If all I get is Adam Sandler crap, unfunny comedy specials and boring original content I don't watch, I won't subscribe.

Saying there are a lot of other places to get content is the point. Netflix is the first snd biggest, they need to stay that way. But nah, let's gut the horror, comedy, anime, thriller genres.

As long as they keep buying up film festival movies and making smaller shows like Love and the MST3K return, I'm happy with what they're doing.

Plus they have the CW day-after deal here in Canada, which is super nice!

And they brought back Trailer Park Boys. I will always admire them for bringing back this iconic Canadian comedy.

So when is some of that money gonna go to getting shows like the old Simpsons and King of the Hill on there and fucking keeping them there?

So when is some of that money gonna go to getting shows like the old Simpsons and King of the Hill on there and fucking keeping them there?

Old Simpsons will probably only be on FXX for the foreseeable future. King of the Hill is an interesting one, I only a couple of seasons on ITunes. Right now you can't even buy seasons of King of the Hill on iTunes or Amazon Video. You can only buy it in DVD format. Wonder if that means it will be coming to a streaming service soon.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I introduced my parents to Netflix with an Amazon Fire TV for Christmas and they fucking love it. They were well aware of it but are not tech savy at all outside of using computers. My mother never used a smart phone and I had to buy her a tablet to get her off her ancient desktop. They fucking love Netflix and have been devouring content. They watch more shows than I do lol.

I would love it if they upped the amount of Korean movies they add, and get some of the ones from a few years ago to current. Korean movie BluRays are expensive

Concept17

I find myself watching more and more of their original content and less and less of other network's stuff, so I guess I'm happy with the direction they are going.

It's been quite the ride. I remember how everyone on their high horses was supposedly going to boycott them forever when they split streaming and physical. Talk about being on the wrong side of history.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's been quite the ride. I remember how everyone on their high horses was supposedly going to boycott them forever when they split streaming and physical. Talk about being on the wrong side of history.

I'd say like 90% of the people I hear are going to boycott something never actually do more than make a stink about it and never follow through.

kevin1025

Banned

I still remember in college, when streaming arrived in Canada (2010), and there were some in class who said it sucked and wouldn't amount to anything.

How far we've come!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom