• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netherlands PM says those who don't respect customs should leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

And no this is not Geert Wilders from the PVV but Mark Rutte from the VVD..let's see who is more racist than the other?

This guy and his party are also terrible here in the netherlands and this making international news everywhere because even america always thought Geert Wilders was the only racist one and we have contender and trying to get voters from PVV to him in a terrible move

The Dutch prime minister, Mark Rutte, has published an open letter to the country’s citizens ahead of elections in March, telling anyone who cannot respect its customs to leave.

People who “refuse to adapt, and criticise our values” should “behave normally, or go away”, Rutte said in a full-page newspaper message seen as a bid to win over voters drawn to Geert Wilders’ anti-immigration, anti-Muslim Freedom (PVV) party.

He said the Dutch were “increasingly uncomfortable” with those who abused the freedoms they enjoyed after coming to the Netherlands, who “harass gays, or whistle at women in short skirts, or brand ordinary Dutch people racists”.

More at link

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-pm-mark-rutte-dutch-citizens-open-letter-pvv

cjp

And no this is not Geert Wilders from the PVV but Mark Rutte from the VVD..let's see who is more racist than the other?

This guy and his party are also terrible here in the netherlands and this making international news everywhere because even america always thought Geert Wilders was the only racist one and we have contender and trying to get voters from PVV to him in a terrible move

More at link

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-pm-mark-rutte-dutch-citizens-open-letter-pvv

There's nothing racist about that open letter.

kmax

I wouldn't mind if they put all terrible people on an Island. They can stay there and make themselves miserable together.

However, if you single out people and harass them based on gender, ethnicity or any other discriminatory bullshit alone, you can fuck right off.

Dabanton

Reading the article it makes perfect sense. How is it racist? it's certainly electioneering

He said the solution was ”not to tar everyone with the same brush, or insult or expel whole groups" but to ”make it crystal clear what is normal, and what is not normal, in our country. We must actively defend our values."

In a separate interview with the Algemeen Dagblad newspaper, he described as bizarre a recent ruling by the Dutch human rights board against a bus company that had rejected a man applying to be a driver because he refused to shake women's hands.

”It can't be right for a bus driver to say: ‘I refuse to shake a woman's hand because that doesn't fit my belief,'" Rutte told the paper. ”That's why people are rebelling. Because the norm here is that we shake each other's hands."

He added that he had ”the same message for everyone: if you don't like it here, leave the country, go away. That's a choice you have, isn't it? If you live in a country where the way we treat each other drives you mad, then you have the choice. Go away. You don't have to be here."

-MB-

The usual political rhethoric he spouts right before an election.
He just pining for those Wilders voters now, like last election, when he did the same.

It seemed okay up to the bit about blackface tbh

The first two things I agree, people should leave if they do those things. But that includes locally born citizens too 🌝

Dehnus

More at link

Ahhh, the VVD is doing their usual populism again, close to the election so ... they are doing their usual stick. Remember this US citizens, next time you hear a Dutch person complain about Trump ;). Their populists have used this rhetoric for years, so you can claim they are just as stupid for putting them in power ;). No need to be ashamed if you visit the Netherlands. Just print this one out and go "HAHAHA! yeah... you get to laugh at us..... pfft.... now then... were are those Tulips and Clogs at?"

Nothing wrong with this. If anything this is stopping actual racists like Geert Wilders from getting power. Not like this is a mass deportation of Moroccans or something. It's absolutely reasonable that people who do those things and refuse to change their behaviour should go.

Aiii

So not worth it
The usual political rhethoric he spouts right before an election.
He just pining for those Wilders voters now, like last election, when he did the same.

VVD only has a spine for one or two months before an election.

However, in this case, with the example he gives, he's not wrong. If you won't shake a woman's hand you have no right to that kind of job (and honestly, no place in our society, women are equals here and I give no shits about your "religious beliefs" on this front). That's not racist in the slightest.

deli2000

He said the Dutch were “increasingly uncomfortable” with those who abused the freedoms they enjoyed after coming to the Netherlands, who “harass gays, or whistle at women in short skirts, or brand ordinary Dutch people racists”.

One of these things is not like the others.

It seemed okay up to the bit about blackface tbh

The first two things I agree, people should leave if they do those things. But that includes locally born citizens too 🌝

Yeah, that part was disconcerting at the very least. Like, I want to believe I'm interpreting it wrong, but it reads like "stop criticizing black Pete"

Dehnus

yeah I think i agree. if you go to another country you should abide by their law and respect their culture.

but this too

He specifically mentions Vloggers. Yet this wasn't an issue before when they were white, heck they even got state TV I heard from my uncle. But now that the Vloggers are black it suddenly is an issue :p.

Just goes to show, if your national children's event has a man in blackface being a slave to a catholic bishop? Then you probably are racist fucks.

d00d3n

It's a fine sentiment until you realize that that one example of a dutch cultural tradition is blackface.

Yeah, in a country like that it makes sense for moderate political forces to completely drop the ball and drive people into voting for near nazi populist parties.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It's a fine sentiment until you realize that that one example of a dutch cultural tradition is blackface.

he's got something for ya!

“harass gays, or whistle at women in short skirts, or brand ordinary Dutch people racists”.

i tell you what though, as a foreign immigrant that thinks the zwarte piet tradition is a racist embarrassment that should obviously just change to rainbow piet because like fucking kids care anyway, I'm pretty uncomfortable being lumped in with the homophobes and catcallers.

deli2000

i tell you what though, as a foreign immigrant that thinks the zwarte piet tradition is a racist embarrassment that should obviously just change to rainbow piet because like fucking kids care anyway, I'm pretty uncomfortable being lumped in with the homophobes and catcallers.

"We're a progressive country but don't you dare call us racist or you don't belong here, and you're just like homophobes or people who commit sexual assault"

Being a black european is fucking nightmare.

-MB-

Plenty of "native" Dutchies do all of that as well. Many of the Wilders fanatics are also the ones that go online to shout at women wanting equal treatment, or whenever there is an article on feminism and lbgtq in the states, they go attack those people too. Maybe they should leave as well then.

Griss

He's entirely correct. The bit about the bus conductor is absurd. People who think they can bring their misogyny into the workplace need to adapt or get the fuck out.

If you're going to let a fairly minor cultural issue like Zwarte Piet obscure the above point, you are simply playing into the hands of the right and shouldn't be surprised when they get elected.

Dehnus

VVD only has a spine for one or two months before an election.

However, in this case, with the example he gives, he's not wrong. If you won't shake a woman's hand you have no right to that kind of job (and honestly, no place in our society, women are equals here and I give no shits about your "religious beliefs" on this front). That's not racist in the slightest.

Sorry but as an autistic person I often choose not to shake someone's hand. Some people smell awful and their skin has a texture of sandpaper. It is very overstimulating. So I have no place in oyur society then? Oh I forgot when US citizens say this it is "EVIL!" when you do it is "Common sense".

Yes I know you mean religious people, but many religious people are jerks, it is wrong to single out one for a practise all of them do. Sadly that is not what I read online about the Dutch Populist right, they always focus on the same ones but never on Rabbis doing the exact same.

It is my freedom not to shake someone's hand for WHATEVER reason. Rude.. sure, and I won't get that job (As that is the companies freedom not to hire me). But to pass a law that forces me to shake hands.... sorry...but then you can go "fuck yourself". Just as that man that sues someone for not getting hired if he didn't shake someone's hand. That also is a "go fuck yourself" event.

Hoo-doo

Banned
As a dutch citizen, there's more to dutch customs/traditions than just Black Pete, you know?
It's become such a overblown story that people actually act like it defines the country as a whole. Guess what, it doesn't.

It's an outdated relic of a tradition that is without a doubt an international embarrassment and it'll eventually be replaced by something more progressive/inclusive.
We've already seen a shift in that direction, it just doesn't happen overnight.

-MB-

He's entirely correct. The bit about the bus conductor is absurd. People who think they can bring their misogyny into the workplace need to adapt or get the fuck out.

If you're going to let a fairly minor cultural issue like Zwarte Piet obscure the above point, you are simply playing into the hands of the right and shouldn't be surprised when they get elected.

Problem that most of the peopel who subscribe to this and claim they should adjust to our supposed liberal values, usually aren't as liberal themselves. And love to be misogynistic themselves too even if the pretend they are not.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Sorry but as an autistic person I often choose not to shake someone's hand. Some people smell awful and their skin has a texture of sandpaper. It is very overstimulating. So I have no place in oyur society then? Oh I forgot when US citizens say this it is "EVIL!" when you do it is "Common sense".

Yes I know you mean religious people, but many religious people are jerks, it is wrong to single out one for a practise all of them do. Sadly that is not what I read online about the Dutch Populist right, they always focus on the same ones but never on Rabbis doing the exact same.

It is my freedom not to shake someone's hand for WHATEVER reason. Rude.. sure, and I won't get that job (As that is the companies freedom not to hire me). But to pass a law that forces me to shake hands.... sorry...but then you can go "fuck yourself". Just as that man that sues someone for not getting hired if he didn't shake someone's hand. That also is a "go fuck yourself" event.

Bit of a difference between not shaking someones hand because of a health issue and because of their gender.

Dehnus

LOL seems like Euro is in full defence mode in this thread. Love it. When it's Trump? We go insane and call the USA stupid, when it's us we find excuses :p.

I'm getting out, as the hypocrisy is to much for me :D.

Cynar

Well said.

Dehnus

Bit of a difference between not shaking someones hand because of a health issue and because of their gender.

But you don't know that, and I"m not going to tell you that I"m autistic. I learned ways of making you forget we never shook hands, as I learned to be really sneaky with it over the years. (Coping mechanisms).

I also won't tell you, for "nunya!" reasons.

And like I said, if the man sues the company over it, he also should go "fuck himself". For if his freedom gets him fired, it is also the freedom of the company. But I do not wish for laws to be passed on these social constructs, just because someone wants to score politically.

Okay and now I"m really getting out. If you wish to continue or have me read your reply to this post you made, please just DM me. I just do not want to ruin my evening with political discource :D.

deli2000

LOL seems like Euro is in full defence mode in this thread. Love it. When it's Trump? We go insane and call the USA stupid, when it's us we find excuses :p.

Minorities a smaller part of the population in europe compared to the US so it's easier for people to push things under the rug and pretend there isn't a problem.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Not enough smileys or LOL's in there to show me you actually really don't care.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

There's an allowance for germophobes to do this since you technically aren't discriminating.

If what I'm reading is correct, the guy will shake hands no problem with men, but won't shake a woman's hand.

Aiii

So not worth it

Really, because I'm pretty sure we've long acknowledged that there are many Trump's around the world and Europe, Australia and many other countries are seeing more radical politicians gain lots of ground.

But I guess some people are just gonna read what they want and ignore the rest? I dunno, but I feel we don't need to fight over which country has the shittiest politicians and are pretty much in agreement we all have our fair share.

You seem to be projecting a lot of things onto other people that they aren't actually saying.

Hrothgar

You really don't see the difference between someone not shaking hands with anyone because of health reasons, or someone not shaking hands because they are a woman? You are basically justifying gender discrimination... because "freedom"

"We're a progressive country but don't you dare call us racist or you don't belong here, and you're just like homophobes or people who commit sexual assault"

Being a black european is fucking nightmare.
Being a white european and imigrant is becoming a fucking nightmare. I can only start to imagine how bad it is and will become to other races and religions. Not a good place to be at the moment.

He's right though, people who harass gays and women should leave. If the political climate dictates throwing gay people and women under the bus out of fear of being branded a racist, that's a problem that needs to be addressed.

Beefy

Is this sarcasm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom