• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netherlands PM says those who don't respect customs should leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

deli2000

Being a white european and imigrant is becoming a fucking nightmare. I can only start to imagine how bad it is and will become to other races and religions. Not a good place to be at the moment.

But remember, it's our fault that people are swaying to the right all over the continent, for having the nerve to speak out about about our obviously fictional concerns.

JordanN

Banned
He's right, every country has its own customs and cultures. Immigrants should respect that.

I wont respect customs that are objectively wrong or behind the times (i.e Russia's staunch anti-LGBT policies).

But I would most likely never want to live in those countries anyway.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Ah, he's attacking misogyny under the guise of "freedom of religion" again. Just wait until after the elections guys, then he's cool with it again.

RSP

To be honest, I don't think the language is strong enough to really draw a lot of the PVV crowd.

I think Rutte has done a fantastic job over the past 6 years (even in the first failed cabinet) and I hope he gets the chance to continue his course for another four years. If there is something he needs to change is that nothing seems to stick to him. It makes people feel that he doesn't really regret the mistakes he makes, even though he would be forgeven for them in most cases.

I agree. A nations customs should be respected.

But to be fair that only holds up when the customs are rooted in mutual respect, liberty, and tolerance.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Plenty of "native" Dutchies do all of that as well. Many of the Wilders fanatics are also the ones that go online to shout at women wanting equal treatment, or whenever there is an article on feminism and lbgtq in the states, they go attack those people too. Maybe they should leave as well then.

yeah, I'll take a hardworking turk over some self entitled white trash native any day. PVV stemmers are the fucking worst. My old boss is one, such strong opinions on immigrants, but I swear to god he's never seen one up there in his village.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Not all culture deserves to be respected.

indeed. Also at a certain point 'fuck that I pay my taxes' becomes a good argument for arguing against something that is blatantly wrong with the country. Implying that immigrants should fuck off if they don't like it is actually.... kind of racist and sort of says 'your opinion isn't worth as much as a native'.

providing the person is in the country legally NL let us through the gate to fill a void (in my case, a job thing). I've been here 11 years and feel at least as entitled as any other adult to call shit when I see it. I'm not actually going to burn a fish stand or try to start a movement to get haring banned, but it's filthy shit and nobody should eat that :/

LawfulEnder

Neo Member
"He said the Dutch were ”increasingly uncomfortable" with those who abused the freedoms they enjoyed after coming to the Netherlands, who ”harass gays, or whistle at women in short skirts, or brand ordinary Dutch people racists"."

You guys are cool with this?

Don't let him distract you by calling out things we all know are bad: what he's suggesting here is that accusing someone of racism is the same as harassing gay people and catcalling women. That's some fucked up levels of denial that requires you to believe there is SIMPLY NO RACISM in Dutch society and that the REAL victims are the "ordinary" Dutch people being branded racists.

This reminds me of my brother in law. Every time i go back home, its the same conversation. Imigrants this, taking jobs, blablabla. I swear to god, he forgets that i have been a imigrant for 20 years now. If imigrants go to another country, and they get a job, it means the job was there to be taken. If they are willing to do it, why did none of the locals took it in the first place?

Now this reads very narrow minded, and i apologise it it does. Its not the case at all. It is only to highlight my own feelings whenever i heard the same complaints over and over agin.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Don't let him distract you by calling out things we all know are bad: what he's suggesting here is that accusing someone of racism is the same as harassing gay people and catcalling women. That's some fucked up levels of denial that requires you to believe there is SIMPLY NO RACISM IN DUTCH society and that the REAL victims are the "ordinary" Dutch people being branded racists.
That's not what he's saying though.

RSP

This reminds me of my brother in law. Every time i go back home, its the same conversation. Imigrants this, taking jobs, blablabla. I swear to god, he forgets that i have been a imigrant for 20 years now. If imigrants go to another country, and they get a job, it means the job was there to be taken. If they are willing to do it, why did none of the locals took it in the first place?

Now this reads very narrow minded, and i apologise it it does. Its not the case at all. It is only to highlight my own feelings whenever i heard the same complaints over and over agin.

You're totally right. On top of that: Unemployment in The Netherlands is among the lowest in the EU and it has been dropping rapidly. People who compain about not being able to get a job should probably expand their horizon a bit, because there are plenty of jobs.

barik

Don't let him distract you by calling out things we all know are bad: what he's suggesting here is that accusing someone of racism is the same as harassing gay people and catcalling women. That's some fucked up levels of denial that requires you to believe there is SIMPLY NO RACISM in Dutch society and that the REAL victims are the "ordinary" Dutch people being branded racists.

I don't think mentioning a number of things in the same sentence automatically means that you think that they're all on the same level of importance, offensiveness etc.

norinrad

When in Rome.

Pretty much this. I have no issues with what he said and it wasn't geared towards a particular group of people. Just everyone, if you hate it here, then just leave and good luck.

He's also been known to smile every issue away :p. March is coming hehehehe

I don't think a standard that ensures safety from sexual harassment or from targeted discrimination against disprivileged groups should should be considered a custom or a value, doesn't Netherlands have laws against that kind of thing? If they do, they should acknowledge it as law and as an integral part of the social contract, not like some... strange meal they eat every sunday after the killing of the black deer.

I just looked at the open letter and mostly it's okay. He talks about being a decent person, respecting each other, helping each other etc. That we should come together as a nation do defend its customs and values, but also teach them to others. He does mention that that newcomers who don't respect Dutch customs and values should leave. But at the same time he says we should listen to each other, shouldn't generalise groups or deports them.

But some things are uncomfortable. This part can look like newcomers can't have any criticisms regarding racist aspect of the Netherlands
He said the Dutch were ”increasingly uncomfortable" with those who abused the freedoms they enjoyed after coming to the Netherlands, who ”harass gays, or whistle at women in short skirts, or brand ordinary Dutch people racists".

And the way it's set up: Its starts with what's going on, the silent majority are good people. But a small part is ruining what the Netherlands created. The third paragraph talks about antisocial people in public. Who litter, spit on people, loitering groups who threaten others etc. And then it's starts talking about "those who abused the freedoms they enjoyed after coming to the Netherlands". From the interview it becomes clear that that the people from the third paragraph are not (necessarily) immigrants.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Note that a political party currently represented in the Dutch legislature--the oldest political party in the Netherlands--believes that women should not have jobs or the right to vote. Rutte's cabinet has at times depended on their support and repeatedly offered them policy concessions to get it.

I agree in broad strokes, at least with this.

Nothing pisses me off more than British expats that move to warmer countries like Spain, never learn a word of the language, or leave their own closed off little communities that import backed beans and Marmite while unironically voting for Brexit. Bunch of wankers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom