• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

CzarTim

iboZoZEK9qZQXT.png

inKMx1A0puOnE.png

Neverwinter is a F2P MMO from Cryptic Studios (City of Heroes/Villains, Champions Online, Star Trek Online) based on Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition. It features action combat, a robust player-created content system, and best of all, it's completely free. It has nothing to do with the Neverwinter Nights series. Let me reiterate that: it has nothing to do with BioWare's Neverwinter Nights series.

The game went into Open Beta on April 30th, 2013 and officially launched on June 20th. The first free content expansion was released on August 22.

The new Hunter Ranger class will be released this year.

A list of NeoGAF players is below. We are playing on Mindflayer, but the servers will eventually merge into one super server.

ibhqNVfHbqyjGh.png

Official Site
Official Wiki
Character Web Portal (Good for Crafting)
Patch Notes

NeoGAF Neverwinter Player List

ipuRIyOk2sth5.png

Name: GAF
Server: Mindflayer

To join ask anyone in the guild for an invite. Open the social menu, click find person, type in "GAF", and look at the guild column. If you are under level 15, you will need to send a friend request before you can send a tell. Alternately, post your username@handle in this thread.

ibzNVsetf8QiAP.png

Rock, Paper Shotgun (John Walker) - Impressions Part One | Impressions Part Two | Impressions Part Three
Massively (Jasmine Hruschak) - Early Impressions
Tom's Hardware (Don Woligroski) - Benchmark & Impressions
Forbes (Erik Kain) - Impressions

ibh7MSWxKfA5lH.png

The game is set in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms campaign.

One hundred years have passed since the Spellplague forever changed the magical and mysterious lands of Faerûn. Mighty empires fell and great cities toppled, leaving only monster-haunted ruins and survivors struggling to rebuild.

The city of Neverwinter, the Jewel of the North, seemed blessed by the gods. While the rest of the Sword Coast was devastated by the event, Neverwinter survived largely intact. But this was only a temporary reprieve from its inevitable doom. Nearly 75 years later, a volcanic eruption rained fire, ash and molten fury upon the city, annihilating everything in its wake.

Today, Neverwinter has restored much of its former glory. Lord Neverember of Waterdeep has taken the city under his protection and put forth a call to all adventurers and heroes of the Savage North to help rebuild Neverwinter in the hopes that one day he can lay claim to her throne and crown. But evil forces conspire in the dark places of the world, seeking to undermine all...

iKPB5VcVzWLWM.png

The combat in Neverwinter is free-aim based and action oriented. It's more akin to a brawler ala DC Universe Online than the typical WoW-style action bar combat. There are no hitboxes, it is not a shooter, and it is fairly liberal on the accuracy front. I’d say it's the game’s biggest strength.

There are four types of abilities. As you level up, you have the option to unlock new abilities or upgrade the ones you already have. There are a limited number of slots for each ability type, so you will have to decide which abilities you want active. You are unable to move and attack at the same time. This fixes a common complaint levied at other action combat MMOs with regards to “floaty combat." The combat here feels weighted. It will take until about Level 15 before it really starts to flow, but trust me, it's a blast once you get there.

ibomyGpQmvaK9u.png

At-Will
Bound to the left and right mouse button, these two abilities can be used at any time.

Encounter
Bound to the “Q”, “E”, and “R” keys, these three abilities have a short cooldown between uses.

Daily
Bound to the “1” and “2” keys, these two abilities require you to fill up a combat meter before use. This is done by attacking and/or healing and usually takes two or three encounters to fully charge.

Class Special
Each class has a special mode which can be activated by hitting the Tab key. It affects each class differently but typically gives a boost to your abilities. For example, the Rogue goes stealth when it is activated

iYbtIdAtvMY6y.png

Neverwinter launched with five classes. Ranger and Warlock classes are in the works.

(Click the class name for a video.)

A support class that specializes in crowd control.

Healing in Neverwinter is much more active than clicking on healthbars and making numbers go up. You can “mark” enemies, which gives health to anyone who attacks them. Most of your other heals are AOE, but you will be spending just as much time attacking as healing.

Heavy armor DPS with a giant overcompensation sword.

Tank™

Lightly-armored, heavy-hitting DPS with stealth.

iZzQ6dOm5jePg.png

Everything in the cash shop is either a convenience or cosmetic. You can conceivably purchase everything with ingame currency.

“Astral Diamonds” are an in-game currency. They are earned a couple different ways, though completing Daily quests, which you get at level 10, give the most. Many things in Neverwinter require them. Want to put a rune in your gear? Pay some Diamonds. Want to rush your companion’s level up or crafting? Pay some Diamonds. Want to buy certain gear? You get the idea. Even the Auction House uses them over the traditional gold/silver/copper currency.

There is an open exchange market for you to either buy or sell Astral Diamonds for the real money currency. This is how you can purchase things in the cash shop by just playing the game or save some time by buying Diamonds for real money.

You can get by without paying anything. The need for Diamonds is noticeable, but not overly-intrusive. We do not live in a Marxist utopia, don’t expect to earn enough to get everything you want by casually playing. They want you to spend money. The important thing here is the actual game content is largely unaffected.

iBX19G5htsWjv.png

Building off Star Trek Online’s great player-made content creation system, Cryptic has rebuilt The Foundry from the ground up. It is considerably more powerful now, so expect to see some cool missions come from it.

Video #1

Video #2

ibr9t6ZeY0ZB2.png

What are the System Requirements?
ibyLoYyx4ktpkb.PNG

Does this have anything to do with the Neverwinter Nights series?
No. Just because you did not have enough friends to play real D&D ten years ago doesn't mean we should have to suffer through your nostalgia wank.

Is this game heavily instanced?
Yes. Cryptic plans to eventually merge the three launch servers into one mega-server, so the game is designed around instanced zones.

Is the gameplay the typical “go x, kill y?”
Yes and no. There are certainly areas which feature that sort of content, but it also splinters off into instanced dungeon crawling which is pretty fun.

What is crafting like?
You send “hired” mercenaries out on missions for a set period of time. This can take anywhere from a few minutes to an upwards of 18 hours and feels more akin to a Farmville-esk game. Luckily you can manage your crafting on the Neverwinter web site without having to go in-game.

Should I play this?
If you read through the whole OP and are still intrigued, absolutely try it out. It's free, so there is no risk. Just don't expect anything special. It's "one of those" MMOs with better combat.

iklSMU80RbmVE.png

What is Neverwinter?

Story Trailer

smr00

Banned
Can't wait till the 27th.

I came so close to pulling the trigger on the $200 founders pack but in the end i just could not justify the $200 price tag. $60 i am ok with because i want to support them and support all things D&D. Kind of bummed the $60 people have to wait an additional 2 days :(

Really want to dive into this.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LOL I'll admit I laughed. I played beta a bit it was pretty fun, nothing ground breaking really though. The idea of player made instances is pretty neat

CzarTim

It shouldn't. I had fun playing the Wizard in closed beta. For a F2P game, it felt really good.

Yeah, I think the game is actually pretty fun. I purchased one of the Founder bundles and don't regret it at all. That said, I can also recognize that this game is very "meh" in a lot of ways. Download it, try it, but don't set your expectations very high.

Yeah, I think the game is actually pretty fun. I purchased one of the Founder bundles and don't regret it at all. That said, I can also recognize that this game is very "meh" in a lot of ways. Download it, try it, but don't set your expectations very high.

Honestly, the most "meh" thing is probably that they are pretty blatant about wanting you to spend money. It absolutely isn't necessary, since you earn the diamonds in game. That you earn them at a snails pace is where the cash grab is though.

Arken2121

I really wish I could try this today, $200 is pretty steep for what you're getting.

Edit: Is it even worth it to get the Founders pack? I loved NwN as a teenager, still have both games.

CzarTim

I really wish I could try this today, $200 is pretty steep for what you're getting.

Edit: Is it even worth it to get the Founders pack? I loved NwN as a teenager, still have both games.

If you really cannot wait until Tuesday, pay $60 and get in Saturday. As I said no less than three times in the OP, it has nothing to do with NwN.

ZenVolta

I played this during one of the beta weekends. Im very much looking forward to its release.

Action oriented combat? Check.
Ragdoll physics? Check.
FUCKING INGAME VOICE CHAT SO YOU CAN TALK WITH YOUR PARTY MEMBERS?!?! Double check.

Iv played a ton of F2P mmos. Gotta say this one isnt to shabby. As for the instancing. This one of the ONLY mmos where I didnt hate it right out. They never felt disconnected from the main game/world.

CzarTim

Holy shit at the OT. Why even bother spending all this time on an OT if you aren't really interested in the game?

I'm very interested. Can't wait to play for real after sinking a bunch of hours into the closed beta. 90% of GAF won't like it though.

Reclaimer

I played this during one of the beta weekends. Im very much looking forward to its release.

Action oriented combat? Check.
Ragdoll physics? Check.

FUCKING INGAME VOICE CHAT SO YOU CAN TALK WITH YOUR PARTY MEMBERS?!?! Double check.

Iv played a ton of F2P mmos. Gotta say this one isnt to shabby. As for the instancing. This one of the ONLY mmos where I didnt hate it right out. They never felt disconnected from the main game/world.

How are you feeling about the graphics?

What class are you playing?

Xiaoki

Being a fan of D&D, Forgotten Realms and the Neverwinter novels I'll definitely play to max level but I dont really think I'll stay for long.

Played in the beta up to level 30 and while fun didnt seem like it would remain so long term.

Was also turned off quite a bit by the cash shop being so pervasive.

CzarTim

Any system requirements yet?

Recommended System Requirements:
OS: Windows® XP SP3, Windows Vista SP 2, Windows® 7 or Windows 8
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz CPU equivalent or better
Memory: 2GB RAM or more
Video: GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD 2900GT performance or better, 512MB+ video ram
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound chip or onboard audio capability with the latest sound drivers
Broadband Internet Connection Required

Minimum System Requirements:
Processor: Dual-core 2.0GHz CPU or better
Memory: 1GB RAM
Video: Shader Model 2.0 or higher, GeForce 6800 or ATI Radeon X850 performance, 128MB+ video ram
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound chip or onboard audio capability with the latest sound drivers
Broadband Internet Connection Required
Sorry, adding to the OP now.

VaeVictis

I'm very interested. Can't wait to play for real after sinking a bunch of hours into the closed beta. 90% of GAF won't like it though.

If you are so skeptical about the success of a game why write a cynical OT in the first place? People are gonna misinterpret your attempt at "humor" as a warning not to play the game.

Damn I was excited to try this but FAQs got me feeling down.

This is what I mean.

CzarTim

If you are so skeptical about the success of a game why write a cynical OT in the first place? People are gonna misinterpret your attempt at "humor" as a warning not to play the game.
I was being honest, if you wanted regurgitated marketing bulletpoints, go to IGN.

I personally find this game very fun primarily due to the combat system. I am not going to misrepresent the game though. It is another one of "those" MMOs with better combat. A majority of GAF will shit on every game in the genre that does not break the mold, and this one certainly won't convince them otherwise.

Pretty sure it's related to Neverwinter Nights. It's got the same name and everything!

:p

Remmy2112

Pretty sure it's related to Neverwinter Nights. It's got the same name and everything!

It's not related to it. Neverwinter is a city in one of Dungeon and Dragon's most popular settings, and has been the focus of a fairly significant campaign since D&D switched over to its 4th edition.

Nymerio

Lol, what's up with the negative OT? I'm still intrigued, I'll try it out once open beta starts for the plebs. The couple videos I've seen didn't look that bad and I'm having this MMO itch recently.

Kariodude

Banned
This is the first MMO I've played that I really enjoy enough to play more than an hour or so at at a time. Can't wait for the weekend so I can pour several hours into it.

zon

For 10 years I played NwN (on and off admittedly), I suppose it's only right that I should at least try the open beta. Will there be any notable characters from DnD lore or is everything completely new?

Art style is real hit or miss (looks better in motion). Combat felt good though in the short time I played it.

I'm really tired of playing mmos with large zones where I spend more time running from objective A to objective B. If this is closer to say Monster Hunter, queue up for adventure, have fun, come back home, I'm game.

Carcetti

I like DnD. Is there any in this game or is it just generic fantasy mmo? Any forgotten realms stuff going on besides the name?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Is this the first DnD 4e game? About time.
It's a D&D 4e game in name only. Any reasonably faithful adaptation of the rules would absolutely have to be turn-based, but even aside from that massive change, Neverwinter seems only loosely related to D&D. That's referring to the gameplay; the setting seems D&D through-and-through, but given how generic Forgotten Realms is, I'm not sure that would be a selling point when considering all of the other fantasy MMOs out there.

Play this if you want another MMO, not if you want D&D combat.

That's quite the subtitle there.

I liked this in demos, but beta content was less impressive. I put down $60 which I kind of regret, since I'm not sure how much I'll be playing this in the future.

I guess that'll teach me about buying Founder's packs going forward.

ZenVolta

How are you feeling about the graphics?

What class are you playing?

IMO the graphics seemed fine. I had more problems with the music. It was the first thing I turned off lol

I was a heavy weapon user. Huge sword. I just cut through everything. The special skills was pretty cool as well

But like OP said, its F2P so you can try it out and not have to worry about getting ripped off.

Oh the Open Beta is a measly 4 days away and there won't be any more wipes? I'm on board! I managed to get into one CB phase and really liked it.
I'll be a Great Weapon Fighter.

Ricker

Oh the Open Beta is a measly 4 days away and there won't be any more wipes? I'm on board! I managed to get into one CB phase and really liked it.
I'll be a Great Weapon Fighter.

Yep no wipes...all installed and ready to go on the 30th here...I was a little surprised that the game is only about 4 gigs though but this is not Tera graphic wise but could still be fun for a F2P.

nikos

...but I HAVE been waiting for it!

Got into one of the closed betas but wasn't able to play at all that weekend. Looking forward to finally trying the open beta.

SScorpio

Cool! Action combat is always neat. Will try.

I played in a closed beta and the action didn't seem that intense. Combat may evolve later in the game, but it didn't seem as fun as Tera's. Being a free to play game it's worth checking out, the combat seems clunky and not very fast paced.

Einbroch

Banned
I played in a closed beta and the action didn't seem that intense. Combat may evolve later in the game, but it didn't seem as fun as Tera's. Being a free to play game it's worth checking out, the combat seems clunky and not very fast paced.

As long as it doesn't have TERA's RNG masterwork garbage, it's already better.

I will definitely be checking this out. Hopefully it has a large player base and the amount of people playing stays consistent rather than dwindling down to almost no one as time goes by.

Napophis

So if you pay $60 does that mean open beta starts tomorrow or is the early start only for when the game goes LIVE? Have they said when that'll be?

The combat looks like fun, i loved playing Tera because of the action combat system, this reminds me of it.

Top Bottom